Author Topic: My Story  (Read 732 times)

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My Story
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Goodluck....
I believe.....

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
Quote from: Palpatine
Quote from: 50shadesofGreg
First and foremost, wanted to thank the hosts of this site...I have been reading for the last couple of weeks and it has been very helpful, but also a little scary sometimes. Thought I would chime in with my story, tips, tricks, as maybe they could help someone else, even me as I continue the horrible, fucking struggle that is quitting dip.

Took my first dip on my 13th birthday, I'm 37 now...24 years. And I like to say that I have "danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" for too long. Randomly get panic attacks when my mouth or gums get sore, thinking I have cancer, and I am just sick of it. I am sick of being out with my fiancee, big lip of tobacco in my mouth. Getting married this year, want to start a family, and dont want to worry if that is day, week, month that something devastating catches up to me, and more importantly, those I love.

My day...brush my teeth in the morning, have a dip (1), coffee and breakfast at the office, have a dip (2), lunch, have a dip (3), play call of duty after work (4), eat dinner and do some work (5)...for literally years. Then if we went out late, 2-4 more dips, especially if I was drinking.

Started a couple weeks ago, going from 5-9 lips (1 plus cans) down to 3...just made the decision I wasnt going to do it anymore. And that had to be step one for me, I wanted to quit, it was going to mentally and physically suck, but I want and need to do it.

Ask 100 dudes that quit, you will probably get 200 stories, but this has worked for me, so far.

Just took every day, one day at a time...if I cut my morning dip out, it was an awesome win. If I cut my evening dip out, it was a win. Then after a lot of little wins, I just said, I am only going to do three today, so lets come up with a plan for that today. When I got to 3 a day, it was very hard...headaches, sweats, trouble sleeping. Anyone that served knows what I am saying, but we call it "the suck", cause it does, it is the worst feeling and all I wanted to do was dip. But it did go away...but it sucked. It was horrible and it has been 4 weeks, everyday of sucking.

Still going strong and now alternating between 2-3 per day...went to a 1pm hockey game yesterday, told myself I wasnt going to have one until the game started. Actually made it to 1:30pm. Felt horrible, but then had one more before bed...girlfriend was around all day, noticed it, and got a very special surprise when we went to bed.

It sucks, its horrible and I hate being nervous about how the next day will be, but I just keep telling myself that its my body pushing out the poison, and each day after I take a step down is better than the last.

I got some Xanax from my doctor, take a half of one before bed if needed...if I have a headache, I take a couple advil or aleve, doesnt really help, but takes the edge off a little bit.

Finally, reward yourself...my fiancee has been awesome about this. She asked me what I wanted when I quit, anything in the world, what do I want. Told her a double-bj from her and her friend. And you know what, she asked her friend and she said yes...the light at the end of the tunnel, and whenever I am really going through some of the suck, I just think about what I have waiting for me at the end of this (no pun intended).

Success for me so far - I want to quit, not doing it for anyone else...I came up with a plan that seems to be working for me...I reward myself when I succeed, but dont get down on myself when I do not stick with my plan, tomorrow is another opportunity...trouble sleeping, I take a little xanax...

Hope this helps...welcome any comments, questions, concerns.

Cheers and good luck to you all...embrace the suck.
Are still using? If so, this is a nicotine free site and come back when you are quit.

My suggestion, dump it all right now. Your 3 weeks of suck only needs to be 3 days if you quit cold turkey right now. Otherwise, you gotta leave and come back when you are ready to fully quit.
25 years of kodiak here. Now about to hit 1,500 days of freedom.

Was it hard? Yes. Is this the best thing I've ever done for me? Yes.

Send me a pm with your number. I only support winners. While your intro has some doubt, I believe you can do this. Let's get started.
The double BJ part sounded awesome. The rest sounded like someone on the fence. To quit you need to actually quit.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
Quote from: Palpatine
First and foremost, wanted to thank the hosts of this site...I have been reading for the last couple of weeks and it has been very helpful, but also a little scary sometimes. Thought I would chime in with my story, tips, tricks, as maybe they could help someone else, even me as I continue the horrible, fucking struggle that is quitting dip.

Took my first dip on my 13th birthday, I'm 37 now...24 years. And I like to say that I have "danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" for too long. Randomly get panic attacks when my mouth or gums get sore, thinking I have cancer, and I am just sick of it. I am sick of being out with my fiancee, big lip of tobacco in my mouth. Getting married this year, want to start a family, and dont want to worry if that is day, week, month that something devastating catches up to me, and more importantly, those I love.

My day...brush my teeth in the morning, have a dip (1), coffee and breakfast at the office, have a dip (2), lunch, have a dip (3), play call of duty after work (4), eat dinner and do some work (5)...for literally years. Then if we went out late, 2-4 more dips, especially if I was drinking.

Started a couple weeks ago, going from 5-9 lips (1 plus cans) down to 3...just made the decision I wasnt going to do it anymore. And that had to be step one for me, I wanted to quit, it was going to mentally and physically suck, but I want and need to do it.

Ask 100 dudes that quit, you will probably get 200 stories, but this has worked for me, so far.

Just took every day, one day at a time...if I cut my morning dip out, it was an awesome win. If I cut my evening dip out, it was a win. Then after a lot of little wins, I just said, I am only going to do three today, so lets come up with a plan for that today. When I got to 3 a day, it was very hard...headaches, sweats, trouble sleeping. Anyone that served knows what I am saying, but we call it "the suck", cause it does, it is the worst feeling and all I wanted to do was dip. But it did go away...but it sucked. It was horrible and it has been 4 weeks, everyday of sucking.

Still going strong and now alternating between 2-3 per day...went to a 1pm hockey game yesterday, told myself I wasnt going to have one until the game started. Actually made it to 1:30pm. Felt horrible, but then had one more before bed...girlfriend was around all day, noticed it, and got a very special surprise when we went to bed.

It sucks, its horrible and I hate being nervous about how the next day will be, but I just keep telling myself that its my body pushing out the poison, and each day after I take a step down is better than the last.

I got some Xanax from my doctor, take a half of one before bed if needed...if I have a headache, I take a couple advil or aleve, doesnt really help, but takes the edge off a little bit.

Finally, reward yourself...my fiancee has been awesome about this. She asked me what I wanted when I quit, anything in the world, what do I want. Told her a double-bj from her and her friend. And you know what, she asked her friend and she said yes...the light at the end of the tunnel, and whenever I am really going through some of the suck, I just think about what I have waiting for me at the end of this (no pun intended).

Success for me so far - I want to quit, not doing it for anyone else...I came up with a plan that seems to be working for me...I reward myself when I succeed, but dont get down on myself when I do not stick with my plan, tomorrow is another opportunity...trouble sleeping, I take a little xanax...

Are still using? If so, this is a nicotine free site and come back when you are quit.

My suggestion, dump it all right now. Your 3 weeks of suck only needs to be 3 days if you quit cold turkey right now. Otherwise, you gotta leave and come back when you are ready to fully quit.
25 years of kodiak here. Now about to hit 1,500 days of freedom.

Was it hard? Yes. Is this the best thing I've ever done for me? Yes.

Send me a pm with your number. I only support winners. While your intro has some doubt, I believe you can do this. Let's get started.

Offline Palpatine

• Administrator
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 1.6.2016
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »

Good...good, let the quit flow through you!  -chewie

Offline 50shadesofGreg

• Quit Date: 2017-06-01
  • Likes Given: 0
My Story
« on: January 08, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »