Author Topic: Quitting Snus-Quit Date May 3  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Bug Guy

• REMF
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Just a squirrel trying to get a nut
  • Quit Date: 1-4-19
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Hunting, Hiking, Hanging with the family
  • Likes Given: 2427
Re: Quitting Snus-Quit Date May 3
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »
Here to say thank you Justin for being you and for being a friend. Keep rockin and rollin and giving nic the stiff arm. Proud as hell to call you a brother!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

INTRO | HOF SPEECH | HOF WRITEUP
QUIT 1/4/19 HOF 4/13/19 2ND FLOOR 7/22/19 3RD FLOOR 10/30/19 4TH FLOOR 2/7/20 5TH FLOOR 5/17/20 6TH FLOOR 8/25/20 7TH FLOOR 12/3/20 8TH FLOOR 3/13/21 9TH FLOOR 6/21/21 DANGLE FLOOR 9/29/21 11TH FLOOR 1/7/22 12TH FLOOR 4/17/22

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:30 PM »
I have the below poem hanging above the desk in my man cave.  The other day I took the time to read it again for the first time during my quit.  It gave me some motivation and I wanted to share it.  My 6 year old son is my shadow.  He does everything he sees me do and wants to be just like me.  If that is not motivation to stay quit I don't know what is.

A Little Fellow Follows Me
Rev Claude Wisdom White

A careful man I want to be,
A little fellow follows me;
I do not dare to go astray,
For fear he’ll go the self-same way.
I cannot once escape his eyes,
Whate’er he sees me do, he tries;
Like me he says he’s going to be,
The little chap who follows me.
He thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of mine;
The base in me he must not see,
I must remember as I go,
Through summer’s sun and winter’s snow;
I’m building for the years to be
That little chap who follows me.

Love it Red.  Got a little choked up reading it.  That is one of my greatest regrets.  I have 4 kids.  3 boys (14, 12, 10) and a little girl (5).  My boys watched me dip for years and were old enough to know what I was doing.  I never put one in, took one out, or took out my can in front of them.  But they knew.  I set a bad example for them and can NEVER take that back.  That's on me.  I just hope I still have time to reverse the damage I did.  We are now open about my addiction and the road I've had to tread to beat it...thus far.  But the regret and embarrassment I feel will not go away any time soon. 

You are doing the right thing trying to control this addiction while your son is young.  I promise to do my best to be there to help you.  God speed Brother.

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
  • One is too many and a thousand never enough.
  • Quit Date: 9/19/19
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
I have the below poem hanging above the desk in my man cave.  The other day I took the time to read it again for the first time during my quit.  It gave me some motivation and I wanted to share it.  My 6 year old son is my shadow.  He does everything he sees me do and wants to be just like me.  If that is not motivation to stay quit I don't know what is.

A Little Fellow Follows Me
Rev Claude Wisdom White

A careful man I want to be,
A little fellow follows me;
I do not dare to go astray,
For fear he’ll go the self-same way.
I cannot once escape his eyes,
Whate’er he sees me do, he tries;
Like me he says he’s going to be,
He thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of mine;
The base in me he must not see,
I must remember as I go,
Through summer’s sun and winter’s snow;
I’m building for the years to be
That little chap who follows me.

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »
Good stuff right here.

Words of Wisdom: Why We Post: Today

Today

I will remember I am an addict.

I will make the decision to stay quit just for today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

I will post roll today to both remind myself I am an addict, and to steel my quit against temptation.

Today I will stand shoulder to shoulder with my fellow quitters and both hold them up and hold them accountable.

Today I will remember that nicotine isn't good for anything but keeping me addicted to nicotine.

Today I will remember Kenzi Kern and I will hug my children tight.

Today I will not hide from my family or friends to satisfy my addiction

Today my battered mind and body will continue to heal from years of ingesting a neurotoxic weed.

Today I live within the bounds of my word and my desire to stay free .

Today I stay quit.

sM.

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »
poof
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:16:41 AM by Redwood »

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 09:41:43 AM »
2019 DECEMBER: Quit Syndicate

'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 

Monday, February 10th, 2020

Fresh Roll

December HOF Speeches
Admudbogn
Redwood
Done09

Mike08
Jeff76107
Joey6t4

Bad Ass quitters post your promise below to be nicotine free for today:

Admudbogn
KD2
CEN2
Jeff76107
patriotkiller18
Uncle Pat
drewski
Done09
Kws33
Chrink82
ForGoodThisTime
Tim Dimon
Jlaverty5874
NateDog123
joey6t4
Rick Sanchez
Mike08
Redwood
Antlerman
NAS84
BaylorGrad19

Bad Ass supporters post your promise below to be nicotine free for today:

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
2019 DECEMBER: Quit Syndicate

'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 'gaySOS' 

Monday, February 10th, 2020

Fresh Roll

December HOF Speeches
Admudbogn
Redwood
Done09

Mike08
Jeff76107
Joey6t4

Bad Ass quitters post your promise below to be nicotine free for today:

Admudbogn
KD2
CEN2
Jeff76107
patriotkiller18
Uncle Pat
drewski
Done09
Kws33
Chrink82
ForGoodThisTime
Tim Dimon
Jlaverty5874
NateDog123
joey6t4
Rick Sanchez
Mike08
Redwood
Antlerman
NAS84
BaylorGrad19

Bad Ass supporters post your promise below to be nicotine free for today:

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 09:26:37 AM »
I have been reading a lot on whyquit.com lately and it has been helpful.  Recently discovered this grief cycle and it has helped me make sense of where I am at the moment.  There is no doubt that I am still in the depression stage.  I need to find some way of getting over the hurdle and reaching acceptance. 

In 1982, Joel Spitzer applied the Kubler-Ross grief cycle model to the
emotional journey navigated during recovery.
 The five stages of emotional
healing include:
1. Denial: "I'm not really going to quit. I'll just pretend and see
how far I get."
2. Anger: "Have I really had my last nicotine fix? "This just isn't
 fair!"
3. Bargaining: "Maybe I can do it just once more. Two days without, I've
 earned it!"
4. Depression: "This is never going to end." What's the use?" "Why
 bother?"
5. Acceptance: "Hey, I'm feeling pretty good!" "I can do this!" "This is
 great!"

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
From BrianG:

Day 200

Today marks my second Hall of Fame day. It has been a while since I have updated my progress
so I thought I would write about the last 100 days, day 101 to 200. The one thing I have noticed
here on KTCk, is that not much is written about the days after your HOF. I understand that the
first 100 days are very important and that is where the focus is. After completing the second
100 days, I think some attention needs to be paid to this time frame. I believe the second 100 days
are tougher than the first, bar maybe week 1. Let me explain.

During the first 100 days, your group is getting a lot of attention. You have a goal in sight and
you are excited about reaching the HOF. If you have any competitive spirit to you at all, 100 days
is not that difficult. You make your promise everyday and keep your eye on the prize. If you get
through the first couple weeks, it is very doable. After the HOF, the attention to your group tends
to fade. People in your group tend to drift off. We have lost well over a third of the guys who
made it to HOF in the second 100 days. A few to caves and some who felt they were cured. This is the
time where you really have to dig deep and remember what you quit for in the first place.

I quit because it was time. 35 years was enough. I took tobacco off the table on day 1 and refused
to ever let it be an option no matter how bad it got. That is the mentality that got me through those
first days and the mentality that got me to the HOF. Shortly after day 100, I started to have craves
comparative to the first week. I found myself thinking about dipping quite often. I was in a funk
that was hard to get out of. During the next 100 days, that voice in my head has gotten louder. Many
times I have found my inner voice trying to convince me that I have quit long enough. That one dip
would not affect me like the others. I could do 1 dip and be quit. I have asked myself more than a
few times if I really want to be quit. These thoughts have come many times over these last 100 days.
Every time, I have been able to convince myself that I am quit for good reason. I try and remember day
1 again. I go to the new groups and read how those poor bastards are doing. I say to myself, never
doing day 1 again. I have to stay quit. I relied on my group to get me through. A few phone calls
and lots of texts to different people.

I cant imagine going through these last 100 days without my group, without KTC as a whole. I am positive
that I would have caved somewhere along the way if I wasnt continuing to post roll everyday. I see
people leave and wonder how they can do it. How do they have the confidence to stay quit? I hope there
comes a day when I can have the confidence to leave KTC and know that I am quit forever. I know that
thought is not popular on this site, but like it or not, that is my goal.

My hope is that the next 100 days are easier than the last 100 days. People keep saying that it gets better.
I believe they are right, but I am getting tired of reading about it and not realizing it. With all this
being said, I would not change a thing. I have been quit for 200 days. I am proud of that. I will keep
battling the inner voice with the help of all of you.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 07:23:45 PM »
...Strength and honor
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
Day 56.  Many ups and downs and struggles to remember why I quit in the first place.  Digging through some emails I found the below "Resolution" that my Dad and I made together a few years back.  We never followed through at that time but I plan to now.  Finding this helped remind me why I quit and why I need to stay quit.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

We, __________ and __________, respectively, do hereby confess that we are addicted to the substance known as nicotine, commonly found in the plant called tobacco. Our tobacco of choice is Swedish Snus, not to be confused with the less inferior American Snus, and we freely admit that we receive a high degree of enjoyment from the use of said snus. Together, we have decided to each endeavor to rid our lives of the burden which is nicotine addiction. We do this with a sober mind and of our own free will, for the good of our families and ourselves, knowing full well that it will not be in the least an easy task.  We believe that at its root nicotine addiction is selfish.  The only benefit provided is a personal pleasure, at the cost of the influence we have on our families and friends, our health, and our pocketbook.  We desire to look to and rely on our God and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for comfort and peace, not the false comfort and peace provided by tobacco.  We long to break the chain of nicotine addiction in our family, so that our grandsons and sons will not inherit this habit through the folly of our flawed example. We commit to pray for power to overcome addiction, and for mental strength to withstand temptation.  Life is more than tobacco, and we desire to have a healthier and more abundant life with this addiction behind us. We sign this statement and pledge, declaring it to be a true reflection of our beliefs; and with every intention, relying on God, to see its culmination in reality.  May we display strength and Honor as we strive to uphold this joint resolution.
 Signed in this the year of Our Lord 2016, the fifteenth day of April.

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
Thanks to all for the support, encouragement, and words of wisdom.  This would be so much more difficult without others who have been through where I am now.
I wanted to clarify something in my intro that has been bothering me the last few days.  I want to make it clear that I do not blame my dad in any way for my addiction.  I made my own choice.  The friends I started dipping with in high school did not have nicotine addicted parents, so I believe that I would have done it anyways.  To his credit, when I told my dad for the first time that I had been dipping some with my friends, he tried to talk me out of it.  He told me that it was fun now with the buzz, but one day I would wake up and the buzz would be gone and I would be addicted.  He told me to drop it before that happened because after addiction I would have to deal with it for the rest of my life and he did not want that for me.  Of course at 17 I knew better and I did not take his advice, and now I am having to deal with it. 
My dad has struggled to quit many times over the years and has for different periods of time.  He and I always talk about needing to quit but we always have put it off.  I hope that I can bring him on to KTC one of these days and encourage him by my experience here. 

Offline Dundippin

• Quitter
  • Shift your focus so you do not think about it
    • Recovery Meeting Place
  • Quit Date: 9/15/2015
  • Interests: Web development, database design, management, weightlifting, bike riding, gardening and watching the Baltimore Ravens.
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 05:45:29 AM »
Justindsing,

Welcome to the group. Here are some words of wisdom I like to share:

The main way to be successful is to just decide that you have quit. Once you stop the negotiating in your head as to whether you will do one more or not the rest becomes far more simple.

The next important thing is to learn how to distract your attention. When you get those thoughts about dipping, switch your attention and think about something else. Anything else that you like. This ability to change your focus will guarantee your success and make your quit that much easier.

When you place a dip in your mouth, your brain releases sugars. Well, those sugars are now going to be gone.

However, you can replace them with OJ or other fruit juices with sugar. This will provide some comfort, especially on your initial quit days.

Make sure to exercise with weights and cardio when you feel that nagging tension in your muscles, you feel that rage, when you can not sleep and when you cannot focus. Exercise really helps.

Here is one that most people overlook. Get at least 3 square meals a day. Hunger can really bring on those urges so squash those urges before they come. Eat full healthy meals and do not let yourself get excessively hungry. You will see this helps a great deal.

I waited until I was 59 quit after using tobacco for 40 years. You are wise to quit now.

I quit with you today.

Dundippin day 1333

Offline Falcon67

• 2017 Decemberist
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: Aug 29, 2017
  • Interests: Fishing, archery, Geocaching, Music, Magic
  • Likes Given: 214
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 08:37:44 AM »
Justin keep WUPP here -- it WORKS.  I was a heavy Swedish Snus user for years -- that stuff is NO JOKE!  Kick it to the curb and do not look back.

Take this quit one day at a time -- you have a great group that will support you as much as you support them!

Stay Tough!

Offline Rick Jr

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/19
  • Likes Given: 224
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:36:48 PM »
Welcome Brother and I am glad you are joining us. Listen as you can see this will be tough, but you can do it, One Day at a time. Walk Up, Piss, Post that Promise and keep it for 24 hours and do it again tomorrow. One Day, One Hour, One Minute, One Second, Set that line in the sand in your head, get to it , draw the next. Swap Digits with your Group mates, Talk, Call, Text, Post on the group page. If you would like my Digits they are a PM Away.

Welcome to the best decision of your life! Proud to quit with you Today!

Rick Jr
Masters of Mayhem
May 19