Author Topic: Done with the dip  (Read 7767 times)

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
Re: Done with the dip
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
I posted my introduction here and my first roll post on the June 2020 Renegade roster 365 days ago today. I'm one year into a quit I never thought would happen. I never wanted it to happen...until the day I thought my future with my wife and children was in jeopardy because of a bump on my gum. The look I saw when I told my wife, the fear in her eyes, that flash of worry - that was all it took.

My dentist pointed me to KTC, and I will be forever grateful to her for that. It was only through the power of God and the support of my fellow quitters here that I've made it this far. The journey hasn't always been easy, but compared to what I've read from new quitters since, I have made it these 365 days with few troubles. Yes, I still have some craves. I still have some foggy days. I still have a short temper. I still have dip dreams, although some of mine have been about smoking (I smoked for years before I started dipping).

What I don't have is that lump on my gum. What I don't have is spit bottles and cups all over the house, in my office, and in my truck, stinking up everything. What I don't have is a reason for my wife not to kiss me full on the lips. What I don't have is a nervous breakdown while sitting through a long meeting or church thinking about wanting a dip. What I don't have is stains on the bedsheets where I fell asleep with a dip in and drooled nasty spit.

What I do have is pride that I have made it 365 days without nicotine. I know I did it ODAAT. I know I have my Renegade brothers and sister to thank for the daily support. I know I have vet quitters like MuleMan, BigDiesel90, Stillbrewing, Athan, Zeus, and so many others that have my Quit 6 each and every day. This place is more to me than a daily check-in and promise. I've made friends here, friends I've never met (except 1, so far), but I hope to meet one day, so I can thank them in person for helping me stay quit. Going cold turkey is hard. Going cold turkey alone would have fucking sucked. I'm glad I didn't have to.

If you're a new quitter or a lurker who's thinking about quitting, quit thinking and just do it. Put the can down. Walk away from it. It is not your friend. It is not your savior. It is a crutch. It is a drain on your wallet. And you better believe me when I tell you, IT IS KILLING YOU. Life will be rough for a while. It's life, and it's rough anyway, ain't it? Nic never solved anything for me. It never made anything better for me. 1 Problem + Nicotine = 2 Problems. My regret is that it took me almost 30 years to realize that. At least I did, though. You can, too. It's not too late.

I'm one year in. The scales of Quit are still tilted heavy toward the Years Using side, but ODAAT I'm shifting that balance in the other direction.

GS9502  365 and QLAMF EDD

ONE BAD ASS QUITTER RIGHT HERE!!!
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
  • Quit Date: 02/28/2020
  • Interests: Georgia Southern football and baseball, outdoor stuff, movies, music
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 01:38:23 PM »
I posted my introduction here and my first roll post on the June 2020 Renegade roster 365 days ago today. I'm one year into a quit I never thought would happen. I never wanted it to happen...until the day I thought my future with my wife and children was in jeopardy because of a bump on my gum. The look I saw when I told my wife, the fear in her eyes, that flash of worry - that was all it took.

My dentist pointed me to KTC, and I will be forever grateful to her for that. It was only through the power of God and the support of my fellow quitters here that I've made it this far. The journey hasn't always been easy, but compared to what I've read from new quitters since, I have made it these 365 days with few troubles. Yes, I still have some craves. I still have some foggy days. I still have a short temper. I still have dip dreams, although some of mine have been about smoking (I smoked for years before I started dipping).

What I don't have is that lump on my gum. What I don't have is spit bottles and cups all over the house, in my office, and in my truck, stinking up everything. What I don't have is a reason for my wife not to kiss me full on the lips. What I don't have is a nervous breakdown while sitting through a long meeting or church thinking about wanting a dip. What I don't have is stains on the bedsheets where I fell asleep with a dip in and drooled nasty spit.

What I do have is pride that I have made it 365 days without nicotine. I know I did it ODAAT. I know I have my Renegade brothers and sister to thank for the daily support. I know I have vet quitters like MuleMan, BigDiesel90, Stillbrewing, Athan, Zeus, and so many others that have my Quit 6 each and every day. This place is more to me than a daily check-in and promise. I've made friends here, friends I've never met (except 1, so far), but I hope to meet one day, so I can thank them in person for helping me stay quit. Going cold turkey is hard. Going cold turkey alone would have fucking sucked. I'm glad I didn't have to.

If you're a new quitter or a lurker who's thinking about quitting, quit thinking and just do it. Put the can down. Walk away from it. It is not your friend. It is not your savior. It is a crutch. It is a drain on your wallet. And you better believe me when I tell you, IT IS KILLING YOU. Life will be rough for a while. It's life, and it's rough anyway, ain't it? Nic never solved anything for me. It never made anything better for me. 1 Problem + Nicotine = 2 Problems. My regret is that it took me almost 30 years to realize that. At least I did, though. You can, too. It's not too late.

I'm one year in. The scales of Quit are still tilted heavy toward the Years Using side, but ODAAT I'm shifting that balance in the other direction.

GS9502  365 and QLAMF EDD
Renegade of Quit
"For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die." - Ulysses, Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1985
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »
Hey welcome @GS9502.  I had the same experience.  Only I went back to it after stopping for a spell.  DUMBASS!  That was before I found this place.  You can do this.  You're going to get pissed here pretty soon.  Take that shit in here.  Try not to rage at your family and friends.  You'll have no problem finding someone in here to engage.

When you get a crave, try to come in here and read (you can start with the Intro and HOF Speeches sections).  Learning about your enemy pays dividends.  Go to your group (June '20) or here (Intros) to write about how you are feeling...your struggles, wins or whatever.  Get contact information from a couple in your group and a couple vets and share yours.  This may save your quit more than once over the next several months.

There's plenty more but that's quite enough for now.  Great job posting roll.  Post every day and as early as you can.  No matter what, hold the line man.  All craves pass, all days end and new days dawn.  Being a slave to this shite is expensive, embarrassing, restrictive...not to mention deadly.  We will walk through this together. 

PTBQWYT my friend

~HAG

Welcome @GS9502  and great job posting roll. Wake up, piss, post your promise to stay nic free first thing in the morning and then keep you promise. Check your messages as fellow quitters will reach out. Only exchange digits through messages and not on the forum or here in the Intro section. Make relationships. Those relationships will be huge during your quit. You can do this and we are here to help. Reach out if I.can help with anything. 
Jan19

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
Hey welcome @GS9502.  I had the same experience.  Only I went back to it after stopping for a spell.  DUMBASS!  That was before I found this place.  You can do this.  You're going to get pissed here pretty soon.  Take that shit in here.  Try not to rage at your family and friends.  You'll have no problem finding someone in here to engage.

When you get a crave, try to come in here and read (you can start with the Intro and HOF Speeches sections).  Learning about your enemy pays dividends.  Go to your group (June '20) or here (Intros) to write about how you are feeling...your struggles, wins or whatever.  Get contact information from a couple in your group and a couple vets and share yours.  This may save your quit more than once over the next several months.

There's plenty more but that's quite enough for now.  Great job posting roll.  Post every day and as early as you can.  No matter what, hold the line man.  All craves pass, all days end and new days dawn.  Being a slave to this shite is expensive, embarrassing, restrictive...not to mention deadly.  We will walk through this together. 

PTBQWYT my friend

~HAG

Offline Zeus

• Quitman
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 03-08-2017
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »
Welcome to KTC. I see you posted your promise on roll call. Wise choice. We have a foolproof system here as long as you follow it.

Post your promise early every day. Take take nicotine off the table for the rest of the day. Do whatever it takes not to put that garbage in your body. There is no valid reason to. Wake up the next day and repeat. There's some room for nuances in there, but that's the gist of it.

At the top right hand corner of this page is an equation that goes like this:

BROTHERHOOD + ACCOUNTABILITY = SUCCESS

I believe that equation is essential to this site remaining a viable place for people to come quit at for years to come. It being here saved my life, and I hope it does the same for you.
June 2017 Quit Mafia

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
  • Quit Date: 02/28/2020
  • Interests: Georgia Southern football and baseball, outdoor stuff, movies, music
  • Likes Given: 270
Done with the dip
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
Hey, y'all. I'm 3/4 through day 1, breaking a 28 year habit. Smoked pretty heavy for about 10 years. Then traded smokes for dip. No telling how much I've spent on Grizzly Natural over the past 20 years. Hate to even think about it. Had a sore on my gum, freaked me out. Thankfully, it was not related to dipping, but it had the effect it needed to. That and having to tell my wife I might have something wrong with my mouth caused by a stupid habit I'd let take control over a lot of my life. Telling her was hard. Just glad I didn't have to tell her worse.
Anyway, last night at 10:30 I spit out my last dip. Here's to day 1.
Renegade of Quit
"For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die." - Ulysses, Alfred, Lord Tennyson