Author Topic: General Discussion - 2021  (Read 54042 times)

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
  • Quit Date: 01/02/2018
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
  • Likes Given: 971
Re: General Discussion - 2021
« Reply #266 on: October 09, 2021, 01:14:11 AM »
In my humble opinion I am concerned that it may cause division. My group had a few people missing yesterday and when I texted them they told me they had posted on discord. To those posting on this site it just looks like they are MIQ.  It is difficult to see if everyone from a group has posted roll for the day when some are posting there and some here. Just what I have noticed in the last day or so. Thoughts?
I agree Redwood, my group was asking and i told them we would focus on this site as our main accountability, in the mean time have them check out the new site (discord) for a few weeks and we would decide and vote as a unit which site all of us will be on.
Good idea. Thanks for the input.
And it doesn't have to be one or the other. It can be both. I personally don't ever see myself stopping posting here on the forums. But Discord provides a platform that may help generate more conversation and foster a brotherhood more than the forums are able to do at this point. At this point try to view them as complimentary vs one trying to overtake/replace the other.

You have that damn wrong, the site is now divided.
Be humble... grow everyday.

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH

Offline MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4333
« Reply #265 on: October 08, 2021, 02:45:39 PM »
In my humble opinion I am concerned that it may cause division. My group had a few people missing yesterday and when I texted them they told me they had posted on discord. To those posting on this site it just looks like they are MIQ.  It is difficult to see if everyone from a group has posted roll for the day when some are posting there and some here. Just what I have noticed in the last day or so. Thoughts?
I agree Redwood, my group was asking and i told them we would focus on this site as our main accountability, in the mean time have them check out the new site (discord) for a few weeks and we would decide and vote as a unit which site all of us will be on.
And it doesn't have to be one or the other. It can be both. I personally don't ever see myself stopping posting here on the forums. But Discord provides a platform that may help generate more conversation and foster a brotherhood more than the forums are able to do at this point. At this point try to view them as complimentary vs one trying to overtake/replace the other.
Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
  • One is too many and a thousand never enough.
  • Quit Date: 9/19/19
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #264 on: October 08, 2021, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • LTBE- Quittin since 12/30/20
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
  • Likes Given: 1868
« Reply #263 on: October 08, 2021, 11:59:10 AM »
How do I get an invite to discord?  I need a link to click on or enter, right?
google kill the can, there is a link provided on the home page. here it is https://discord.gg/9qXQcTHuhd

I cant get it to load on my PC but Mobile works good.
I may not be a smart man, but I know what quit is! -Quitest Gump-
     -Don't plan for the future, Quit for today!-
"The way to get started is to (quit) talking and begin doing." Walt Disney
~you cant plan your quit you just have to do it, both feet free fall.~
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline Chisler2120

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: February 1, 2020
  • Interests: Playing banjo, Bowhunting, Flyfishing, Grandkids
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2021, 11:49:45 AM »
How do I get an invite to discord?  I need a link to click on or enter, right?
Chisler

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
« Reply #261 on: October 08, 2021, 10:02:08 AM »
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
  • One is too many and a thousand never enough.
  • Quit Date: 9/19/19
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2021, 09:19:19 AM »

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #259 on: October 07, 2021, 01:22:40 PM »
I know you Admins and mods put in alot of time we appreciate you all, I dont know what that load entails, already i find it a bit tiresome jumping between the 2, will there be a set of Admins and mods here, and a different set over in Discord?
Daily Devotional

Offline walterwhite

• Admin (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 1.4.2016
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #258 on: October 07, 2021, 01:04:20 PM »
will some things be changed in discord? Im trying to picture how a HOF month will go? will there be a link between the two so you can pull information to the new site easier. or even scrolling on a mobile though all the write up. with added support in the mix, maybe pin it for each day and guide people to how to view pins?
I think we are open to anything.  What we wanted to do was create an place that has everything we need.  Will things be different from a functionality?  Yes.  What will new groups look like and how will they be set up...not exactly sure.  We have to play with it and figure out what is best.  We thought about combining pre groups into one big group.  For reference...my group April 2016 had over 100 quitters join at one point.  I think we had over 70 reach HOF.  These new groups...for whatever reason...aren't big.  They get too isolated and in our opinion would be better served having a bigger group to socialize and form brotherhood.  Accountability comes from caring about your fellow person's quit and they in turn caring about your quit.
I dig it! just have to shut down thread from being created in that area. Be nice to maybe change all pre HOF quitters username a specific color, so they can be identified right off the bat.
that is a great idea!  I'll look into it.
You will NEVER regret quitting. You will ALWAYS regret caving ~ NOLAQ

Everyday an addict reminds himself he is an addict is a day an addict earns another day of freedom. ~ Scowick65

To persevere is important for everybody. Don't give up, don't give in. There's always an answer to everything. ~ Louis Zamperini

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #257 on: October 07, 2021, 12:59:13 PM »
will some things be changed in discord? Im trying to picture how a HOF month will go? will there be a link between the two so you can pull information to the new site easier. or even scrolling on a mobile though all the write up. with added support in the mix, maybe pin it for each day and guide people to how to view pins?
I think we are open to anything.  What we wanted to do was create an place that has everything we need.  Will things be different from a functionality?  Yes.  What will new groups look like and how will they be set up...not exactly sure.  We have to play with it and figure out what is best.  We thought about combining pre groups into one big group.  For reference...my group April 2016 had over 100 quitters join at one point.  I think we had over 70 reach HOF.  These new groups...for whatever reason...aren't big.  They get too isolated and in our opinion would be better served having a bigger group to socialize and form brotherhood.  Accountability comes from caring about your fellow person's quit and they in turn caring about your quit.
I dig it! just have to shut down thread from being created in that area. Be nice to maybe change all pre HOF quitters username a specific color, so they can be identified right off the bat.
Daily Devotional

Offline walterwhite

• Admin (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #256 on: October 07, 2021, 12:36:31 PM »

Everyday an addict reminds himself he is an addict is a day an addict earns another day of freedom. ~ Scowick65

To persevere is important for everybody. Don't give up, don't give in. There's always an answer to everything. ~ Louis Zamperini

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #255 on: October 07, 2021, 11:53:03 AM »
Daily Devotional

Offline J2b

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
    • May 11
  • Quit Date: 01/23/2011
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »
So I have a few questions about this switch and im sure others are wondering the same.

1) will there be any more new groups made up here? I see Jan 22 is mixed in with 2021. We are trying to funnel new quitters to discord.  but we can always change course if needed

2) will this site always be a option to post roll for established groups. yes

3) will any of this History be transported over to Discord , all the HOF Speech's, Intros, Wildcard sections etc...Some...not sure what but I don't think we can port over data from here.  This forum will always be here to view. Also note that the HOF Speech's, WoW, etc are all on the main website as well.

4) seems like a great way to talk to new and old quitters alike but viewing via mobile its hard to tell who is in the group, making it hard to tell if everyone is on roll , I fear Accountability is going to take a huge hit and the strictness and hard nose way of killing this addiction will be dampened.  this will be trial and error.  We need to figure out a way to keep Acccountability going on discord.  There is a way and I'm sure there will be people chomping to figure it out

5) i know change is hard, Im being very open to it and know its a 50/50 split , like to dislike. feel a open discussion will help with the transition and open up understanding.
Keep the questions coming...We are open to ALL ideas and suggestions.
The problem is not the problem.  The problem is your attitude about the problem.  Do you understand?

Draw Fire

If its too much trouble to post roll call, you could always fuck off.

Quit Group: May 11 3 Balled Quitters

• Quit: 01/23/11

Offline walterwhite

• Admin (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2021, 10:03:29 AM »
So I have a few questions about this switch and im sure others are wondering the same.

1) will there be any more new groups made up here? I see Jan 22 is mixed in with 2021. We are trying to funnel new quitters to discord.  but we can always change course if needed

2) will this site always be a option to post roll for established groups. yes

3) will any of this History be transported over to Discord , all the HOF Speech's, Intros, Wildcard sections etc...Some...not sure what but I don't think we can port over data from here.  This forum will always be here to view.

4) seems like a great way to talk to new and old quitters alike but viewing via mobile its hard to tell who is in the group, making it hard to tell if everyone is on roll , I fear Accountability is going to take a huge hit and the strictness and hard nose way of killing this addiction will be dampened.  this will be trial and error.  We need to figure out a way to keep Acccountability going on discord.  There is a way and I'm sure there will be people chomping to figure it out

5) i know change is hard, Im being very open to it and know its a 50/50 split , like to dislike. feel a open discussion will help with the transition and open up understanding.
Keep the questions coming...We are open to ALL ideas and suggestions. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:05:27 AM by walterwhite »

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
  • Quit Date: 01/02/2018
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
  • Likes Given: 971
« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2021, 09:22:43 AM »

1) will there be any more new groups made up here? I see Jan 22 is mixed in with 2021.

2) will this site always be a option to post roll for established groups.

3) will any of this History be transported over to Discord , all the HOF Speech's, Intros, Wildcard sections etc...

4) seems like a great way to talk to new and old quitters alike but viewing via mobile its hard to tell who is in the group, making it hard to tell if everyone is on roll , I fear Accountability is going to take a huge hit and the strictness and hard nose way of killing this addiction will be dampened.

@Administrator @Moderator
Be humble... grow everyday.

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH