Author Topic: My WHY  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Greller87

• Likes Given: 0
Re: My WHY
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 12:21:36 PM »
4 weeks have gone by since I have written my intro. I've come by a few times here or there to re-read it to remind me why I'm here.

The mental side of this quit has gotten a bit easier for the last few weeks. I can't say I haven't wanted to stop and buy a tin, but I haven't really felt that my quit was at risk of failing at any point.

When craves were stronger before the last 2 weeks and stress was higher I have re-posted my daily promise. At 45 days quit, I've actually posted at least 47 or 48 promises to stay quit for that day. I think that in doing this I am recognizing my weaknesses and leaning on the quit group to hold me accountable . In each instance it has helped me stay quit. At day 45, even though I am feeling mentally better, for now, I want to try to keep focusing on that experience. When I needed to, I leaned on my group.

In order to win the battle, it is important to "Know thy enemy". Hearing experiences from more veteran quitters and those who have failed to come back and get back on the horse, I am learning more about what I may expect over the course of my quit, and better knowing the enemy. It is clear to me that nicotine addiction will continue to try to pull me back in. I know it will be fewer and farther between over time, but knowing nicotine will come sneaking back into my brain at some day or another is a benefit to me. Having that awareness can help me prepare. To stay prepared I will continue to focus on my recent experiences of leaning on my group when I think I need to. Keeping this fresh in my memory.

Here's a commitment to myself to stay vigilant and keep using the resources I have at my disposal, do that and I will be successful.

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • LTBE- Quittin since 12/30/20
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
  • Likes Given: 1868
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »
keep blogging it out brotha, i did the same in my intro since the start of my quit, its amazing to see how far i have come, some of the rage , the suck, the frustration its crazy helpful now , some days i ask why im still here, i read my intro and see exactly why!
I may not be a smart man, but I know what quit is! -Quitest Gump-
     -Don't plan for the future, Quit for today!-
"The way to get started is to (quit) talking and begin doing." Walt Disney
~you cant plan your quit you just have to do it, both feet free fall.~
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 05:55:49 PM »
BOOM! That was magnificent!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline NavinRJohnson

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Interests: coaching and playing hockey, backpacking, yard games, camping, binge watching tv with the wife, hiking with the dog
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »

2. You do not want to continue to lie to those around you. You did not actively go around telling people you weren't dipping, but you know that many people who care about you did not know the level you were using. And that feeling sucked, for many reasons. Knowing you're disappointing your loved ones sucks enough on its own. Then add in the fear of maybe someone finding the can you hid under the floor boards of the trunk of your car? Think about the lengths you had to go to try to keep your little love affair with nicotine hidden? you had to stop at the gas station almost every day to throw out spitters, jump out of the car hide everything in the trunk again. Buy more gum, so you can hide the smell of it on your breath? It was a whole show that you had come to accept was part of your day and it was pathetic. You don't want to have to do that anymore.

Man, do I feel that one.  I already feel relief on this one after just a week.  Those little micro moments of shame really pile up.
"Stay away from the cans!" - NavinRJohnson in "The Jerk"

Offline Greller87

• Likes Given: 0
My WHY
« on: October 25, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »
I write this at 17 days nicotine free. I did not start with an introduction, but now I think I would like to enter something here. For me, it's less of an introduction of myself to you all, but really an introductory "chapter" to my quit. You'll probably get to know a bit about me through this "chapter", but it will probably read like I am talking to myself, because I am. I write this as a reminder to myself, for a time in the future if I begin to forget what life is like now early in my quit, or what life was like before I quit. As shitty as it was and has been, I never want to forget. So here goes, this is why I quit today, and why I quit those 17 days ago, and why I will continue to make that decision everyday.

Greller, you're quitting the use of nicotine because....

1. You care about your health. You are smart enough to know that your health is a sum of the incremental decisions you make on a daily basis. You are also smart enough to know that having one dip will set you on a path for a second dip, then a third, and many more. You made the decision to not have even one more dip, because you know that is the first step in making a good decision for your health on any given day. Otherwise you will enter a damaging positive feedback loop that will destroy your health.

2. You do not want to continue to lie to those around you. You did not actively go around telling people you weren't dipping, but you know that many people who care about you did not know the level you were using. And that feeling sucked, for many reasons. Knowing you're disappointing your loved ones sucks enough on its own. Then add in the fear of maybe someone finding the can you hid under the floor boards of the trunk of your car? Think about the lengths you had to go to try to keep your little love affair with nicotine hidden? you had to stop at the gas station almost every day to throw out spitters, jump out of the car hide everything in the trunk again. Buy more gum, so you can hide the smell of it on your breath? It was a whole show that you had come to accept was part of your day and it was pathetic. You don't want to have to do that anymore.

3. You were wrecking your finances and health at the same time. It doesn't matter how well off you think you are. $180 / month is valuable, use that money to add value to your life rather than take value away. Even more, you can't afford cancer treatments, surgeries, anything. You'd ruin your family's financial well being if you pick up one more can. Save the money instead, spend it on your kids, spend it on your wife, hell even spend it on yourself.

4. Most importantly, you want to be around as long as you can to enjoy time with your wife and watch your kids grow up. Be the best role model for them you can be. You want to be able to hug your wife, son, and daughter when you get home and not have to know you were disappointing them by using a toxic drug all day long while away. Make the decision today, because you want to be 100% sure you'll be able to walk your daughter down the aisle with an intact jaw.

If you're ever having a hard time dealing with the voice of your inner addict, use the resources on this site, and come back and read this post to remind yourself WHY. Why you quit dip in the first place, and why you will continue to quit one day at a time going forward.