Author Topic: General Discussion - 2012  (Read 45728 times)

Offline Mike_Land

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Triathlons and my girls, Wife Michelle and Daughter Olivia.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General Discussion - 2012
« Reply #921 on: November 30, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Would like to here what others have to say about this topic.

I am on day 7 of my quit. I doing well. Cravings are not so bad right now. I have found that packing the lip with some dregs from a used tea bag helps with the oral fixation of having something in your mouth. I had to do something. I've chewed so much gum my jaws are sore. I am convinced I will beat this! Here's to the nic bitch.... 'Finger' !!

So here is the real question I have. How do you get through the grieving for a very dear friend? I know that the can was never my friend. But that doesn't change the feelings I have. The dip and can have been a part of my identity for many many years. Where ever I went the can was in my pocket and the turd was in my jaw. It really does feel like I lost a dear friend to death.

I guess what people say may be true. It will get better with time. I refuse to go back and be a slave to the can anymore. I just wish this feeling would get the hell out of here.

Offline Kubiak

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #920 on: November 29, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Quote from: Zach101stVet
Hi everyone, I'm Zach. I decided to quit on November 27. I was alarmed when i was brushing my teeth and noticed how much my gums had receded in the areas where i place my dips. I just quit smoking about 2 months ago and started dipping a whole lot more since then but I am DONE! Any advice? Also will my gums begin to go back to normal or am i S.O.L.?
I think the real question to ask yourself is if you want your gums to get worse. Don't debate how bad they are now, you will fall into a trap of thinking "well they're already fucked up, might as well keep going". Bullshit. Quitting now will prevent them from getting worse. Take control of your life man.

Offline MikeWC

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: bowhunting, muscle cars, camping, family
« Reply #919 on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »
Hi Zach, you have made the right choice. You have also come to the right place where you will get all the support or asskicking you need. Go back to the main page and type your introduction under the introduction section, you will find many others there. Also, at the top of your screen is a salmon colored WELCOME CENTER, click on that and learn about posting roll and what it means here. Good decision to quit! Spend time here on Kill the Can and read, read, read, and read some more. We have all gone through what you are and we are here to help you. If you have any questions just send me a pm, we are here. Mike

Offline Zach101stVet

« Reply #918 on: November 29, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm Zach. I decided to quit on November 27. I was alarmed when i was brushing my teeth and noticed how much my gums had receded in the areas where i place my dips. I just quit smoking about 2 months ago and started dipping a whole lot more since then but I am DONE! Any advice? Also will my gums begin to go back to normal or am i S.O.L.?

Offline Bruce

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Quit Date: 2011-11-21
  • Interests: Long walks on the beach, cuddling up next to that special someone in front of a fire, just watching the sunset, and titty bars.
« Reply #917 on: November 29, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Quote from: alogan1023
Quote from: sportsfan231
JAN 13 Question of the Day: How are you actively supporting your brothers in your group, groups before yours, and most importantly the groups after yours? Come share your answer.
Not sure about the "JAN 13" part, but what am I doing for those before, with, and after me? Nothing yet...

I plan on mentoring. I am actually working on taking the facts that I learn and share them with my brother - he is 23, his second daughter was just born, and I worry about him dipping.

I am only 30 days into my quit (or so), and am not ready to take on much more cause there are days that I seriously feel tempted due to stressors... but I will remain strong. I want to influence him though...

I freakin' regret ever smoking and chewing...
Logan, brother, you can influence him but you cannot quit for him. I've been fighting to get my father to quit for the past year. No success. You've just got to get him the facts and make him understand what he's doing to himself. The rest is up to him, at the end of the day we all have to make a decision. I've decided to quit today, with my brothers here

Oh and to answer sportsfan question, I quit like fuck, live like fuck and lead like fuck
Quit date: 11/21/11
HOF date: 2/28/12
Comma date: 8/16/14
It's a freedom thing

Caving is NOT an option

-"Now I can walk through walls and my quit can talk to god. That's right. Crazy voodoo magic quit" Souliman

-'Stop being a pussy and quit' Tarpon17

-"this is the gheyest place on earth, if you say it in here it might become someones signature" Bigwhitebeast

- "We Quit Like Fuck" - Coach Steve

Offline alogan1023

• Quitter
  • To grow, leave your comfort zone!
  • Quit Date: 10-29-2012
  • Interests: Hunting, camping, hiking, photography, my kids.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #916 on: November 28, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Quote from: sportsfan231
JAN 13 Question of the Day: How are you actively supporting your brothers in your group, groups before yours, and most importantly the groups after yours? Come share your answer.
Not sure about the "JAN 13" part, but what am I doing for those before, with, and after me? Nothing yet...

I plan on mentoring. I am actually working on taking the facts that I learn and share them with my brother - he is 23, his second daughter was just born, and I worry about him dipping.

I am only 30 days into my quit (or so), and am not ready to take on much more cause there are days that I seriously feel tempted due to stressors... but I will remain strong. I want to influence him though...

I freakin' regret ever smoking and chewing...

Offline Sportsfan231

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #915 on: November 28, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »

Offline Keddy

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Break the Chains
« Reply #914 on: November 27, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Today would've been my Dad's 72nd birthday except he chain-smoked himself to death. I miss him.

But I hate Big Tobacco more than ever and I WILL not be its victim!

'Finger' Marlboro 'Finger'

Thanks, folks, I just had to get that off my chest!

Offline Copehater

• Quitter
« Reply #913 on: November 22, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Quote from: grizzlysnuffer
Quote from: Show
Quote from: Keddy
Quote from: kdip
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Happy Thanksgiving quitters! It's an honor to quit with all of you  "today"
AND Everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy nicFree Thanksgiving!! Thanks, KTC!!
Happy Thanksgiving. Can someone open up the GD March 13 pre-HOF group? Pleeeeeeeease :D
Happy thanksgiving to all. One more day of quit! Day 9
It's been a difficult year for me with the passing of my best friend but I am Proud and Thankful to be quit with all of you.
Are We Having Fun Yet?

Offline grizzlysnuffer

• Quitter
« Reply #912 on: November 22, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Quote from: Show
Happy Thanksgiving. Can someone open up the GD March 13 pre-HOF group? Pleeeeeeeease :D
Happy thanksgiving to all. One more day of quit! Day 9
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt
"It always seems impossible until it's done." Nelson Mandela
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when YOUR tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired." Robert Strauss
"Never give in, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to a force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

Offline Show

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball may be the single greatest thing we ever came up with as a species. After that....cycling, paddling, pick-up hoops, and reading.
« Reply #911 on: November 22, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Quit date 12/10/09

Offline Keddy

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Break the Chains
« Reply #910 on: November 22, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #909 on: November 22, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving quitters! It's an honor to quit with all of you "today"

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #908 on: November 22, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving quitters! It's an honor to quit with all of you "today"

Offline LH84

• Quitter
« Reply #907 on: November 22, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Quote from: gtr1965
Just trying to get some advice or feedback.  I'm in day 27 of my quit and I don't have the nic fits anymore and for the most part I can chew gum or mints and try to keep my mind off of chewing.  I am finding that it is getting harder to stay focused on why I quit and I am relying more on the fake snuff to get past those times.  At the beginning of my quit, the urge to stay quit was much more intense and that is fading.  Is this some sort of post quit doldrums and what have guys done to get past it.  I don't think I am in danger of caving but the feeling of something missing is getting stronger.
Hey, I'm not really that far ahead of you, day 68, but sure know the feeling. I think what you described is the reason most people who go back to tobacco DO cave. The wanting tobacco feeling is stronger than any other "feeling" at that point in time.

Sure, everyone is different, but one thing I continue to hear on this site is that you are QUIT. YOU are QUIT. I am QUIT. Your mindset has to be that you have burned the bridge and that you CANNOT go back. That you HAVE to find something else to do, think, fill your lip with, etc.

Make your promise every day to not use nic. (Sure sounds like a "homer" doesn't it) - That in itself is a motivator. That honestly saved my quit a day or two early on. I think I decided when I quit that I would find a way to make it work. I think that is a must for success.

Like you, there are days where I tend to be forgetting the reasons and I have to remind myself again - is it worth it, etc.... ? Doing things where we normally would use, special occasions, holidays .... But they tell me it continues to get better as we go along. I am still learning and I am where you are as well - and sure don't have all the answers.