Author Topic: General Discussion - 2013  (Read 45475 times)

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General Discussion - 2013
« Reply #1098 on: January 01, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Quote from: Wt57
This is a traditional time to make changes in our lives and I want to extend a hand and leave a message for those that stumble in here looking for help in quitting their affair with smokeless tabacco. Thousands of us do it daily and you can too if your ready. I testify to you that if I (a 40+ year addict) can do it you can too. Quitting is simple (one day at a time ODAAT) but it is also one of the most difficult things you will ever do because we are addicts! Join us in the fun, you won't regret it. Happy Dipless New Year!
I will re-iterate what my brother in quit here has said. The extension of the hand is also out there for spouses and significant others who are looking and hoping to have their counterpart quit. Do not push but rather educate and show them to our site. Let them see some of the things that fellow people who have gone through this process can offer to them.

Happy New Year and lets make this a Happy New You a well.

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #1097 on: January 01, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
It'd be great if everyone went and posted money they've saved by quitting in this thread today.

index.php?showtopic=262m

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #1096 on: December 31, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
This is a traditional time to make changes in our lives and I want to extend a hand and leave a message for those that stumble in here looking for help in quitting their affair with smokeless tabacco. Thousands of us do it daily and you can too if your ready. I testify to you that if I (a 40+ year addict) can do it you can too. Quitting is simple (one day at a time ODAAT) but it is also one of the most difficult things you will ever do because we are addicts! Join us in the fun, you won't regret it. Happy Dipless New Year!
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1095 on: December 31, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
EPIC Header!!!!

'clap' 'oh yeah'
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #1094 on: December 30, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Poof.

Edit by Mjollnir.

WT- You're a great guy.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline uncorked

« Reply #1093 on: December 30, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Sorry Crockett. Lightning Strikes fast.

Offline mpscottmorgan

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1092 on: December 30, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Quote from: lospenguinos
Quote from: MintJawLady
3 years ago today was my last dip. Used gum for a bit so not the official quit date but still a big step. The date was planned through a quit program at work. Then that morning we had a big snow storm and our furnace died, to which my reaction was pure joy because they were the perfect excuses to not quit that day. Then I got a reminder email from the quit program, decided to give it a shot, spit my chew and the tin in the trash, and off we went. Found you fuckers about 10 days later while looking up fake chew. Eerily enough, the 12/27 quit date chosen by the program is also the date my dad died of cancer in 1987 so that might have played a part in motivation. The April '11 guys are part of the daily motivation now, could to have done it without them

If any new quitters read this, the beginning fuckin sucked hard, but it gets so much better that it's way worth it. Lots of help here for you. Stick with it and the hard work will pay off.
Congratulations!
So would you recommend using the alternatives to blend with the real stuff and then blend yourself straight out of the can altogether?
You know like 80% real/20% alternative, then 60% real/40% alt, then 50/50, then 40/60... you get the idea.
Preparing for the 'flush'
No, I wouldn't really recommend that. It's gonna suck either way so might as well get it started and over with. So don't really "prepare" just do it. No matter how you prepare it will eventually seem like its "too soon" so just go for it.

One thing the quit program told me that helped was to start by breaking associations. So stop chewing/smoking in the car, or after dinner, or after coffee etc or even quit coffee for a while. They did this to "prepare" while still using tobacco. Hey did help so I would suggest same techniques, but while using fake instead of tobacco. They also chose a quit date for me to help prepare, which seemed "too soon" but whatever date they said would have. More like time to prepare excuses.

Lost of controversy over the gum here. I used it for a week or so. It only helped in that it gave me a few days of not dipping, so breaking the physical connection of a chew in the lip. But it only takes a few days before you start wondering how great of a buzz you'll get if you eat 5 at a time! I feel kind of lucky that I used gum at the start of a (so far) successful quit. If I hadn't found KTC then it prob would have been a failure.

Lots of pros and cons on the fake stuff too. Personally I love it and still use it. It's different without a chemical addiction though, can forget to bring it somewhere or run out and it will be a few days to order more and not freak out over it. Other people are against it for very valid reasons too. I would suggest going through at least a few weeks of nothing before moving to fake just to help break that physical connection, and to make it suck more so you remember it!

Those are just my personal beliefs and experiences. There are lots of techniques here, you need to find which work for you. We will all agree that you need to stay very close to the site and embrace the suck. Being able to talk to people who have or are going through what you are during a quit is the most helpful thing ever. And remember how bad it sucks so you never go through it again. And know that it will get better if you put in the hard work.

Hope that helps. Shout if you need anything.
i "quit" countless times using gum or lozenges or patches or whatever. the only time it stuck was when i quit nicotine cold turkey. i did use the fake dip religously for several weeks and i think it got me through it. there is no getting around the absolute fucking suck of the first 3 days. you've got to put your big boy/girl pants on and suck it up. it was a decision to start poisoning yourself, it's a decision to quit. just decide to be quit for today, and it's too easy. tomorrow morning all you have to do is decide again.

Offline mpscottmorgan

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1091 on: December 30, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Quote from: Doug
Looking for help posting role 12/31-1/2. I might only need help on the 1st. Going to Pasadena. Anyone willing to help out? I'm in March 2014.
you can pm your number as well if for some reason you can't get ahold of EW. i've texted in roll a few times.

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: none
« Reply #1090 on: December 29, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Quote from: Doug
Looking for help posting role 12/31-1/2.  I might only need help on the 1st.  Going to Pasadena.  Anyone willing to help out? I'm in March 2014.
PM your cell number to me. I'll text you mine then you text me your promise. Ill get you on roll that day. No excuses to not get your promise made with the technology we have today
"Dunno about you HP, but LOOT doesn't like getting assfucked, by anyone....and certainly won't chalk it up to 'shit happens'."

Offline Doug P

« Reply #1089 on: December 29, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Looking for help posting role 12/31-1/2. I might only need help on the 1st. Going to Pasadena. Anyone willing to help out? I'm in March 2014.

Offline lospenguinos

• Quitter
  • Interests: CrossFit, rugby, hockey
« Reply #1088 on: December 28, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
3 years ago today was my last dip. Used gum for a bit so not the official quit date but still a big step. The date was planned through a quit program at work. Then that morning we had a big snow storm and our furnace died, to which my reaction was pure joy because they were the perfect excuses to not quit that day. Then I got a reminder email from the quit program, decided to give it a shot, spit my chew and the tin in the trash, and off we went. Found you fuckers about 10 days later while looking up fake chew. Eerily enough, the 12/27 quit date chosen by the program is also the date my dad died of cancer in 1987 so that might have played a part in motivation. The April '11 guys are part of the daily motivation now, could to have done it without them

If any new quitters read this, the beginning fuckin sucked hard, but it gets so much better that it's way worth it. Lots of help here for you. Stick with it and the hard work will pay off.
Congratulations!
So would you recommend using the alternatives to blend with the real stuff and then blend yourself straight out of the can altogether?
You know like 80% real/20% alternative, then 60% real/40% alt, then 50/50, then 40/60... you get the idea.
No, I wouldn't really recommend that. It's gonna suck either way so might as well get it started and over with. So don't really "prepare" just do it. No matter how you prepare it will eventually seem like its "too soon" so just go for it.

One thing the quit program told me that helped was to start by breaking associations. So stop chewing/smoking in the car, or after dinner, or after coffee etc or even quit coffee for a while. They did this to "prepare" while still using tobacco. Hey did help so I would suggest same techniques, but while using fake instead of tobacco. They also chose a quit date for me to help prepare, which seemed "too soon" but whatever date they said would have. More like time to prepare excuses.

Lost of controversy over the gum here. I used it for a week or so. It only helped in that it gave me a few days of not dipping, so breaking the physical connection of a chew in the lip. But it only takes a few days before you start wondering how great of a buzz you'll get if you eat 5 at a time! I feel kind of lucky that I used gum at the start of a (so far) successful quit. If I hadn't found KTC then it prob would have been a failure.

Lots of pros and cons on the fake stuff too. Personally I love it and still use it. It's different without a chemical addiction though, can forget to bring it somewhere or run out and it will be a few days to order more and not freak out over it. Other people are against it for very valid reasons too. I would suggest going through at least a few weeks of nothing before moving to fake just to help break that physical connection, and to make it suck more so you remember it!

Those are just my personal beliefs and experiences. There are lots of techniques here, you need to find which work for you. We will all agree that you need to stay very close to the site and embrace the suck. Being able to talk to people who have or are going through what you are during a quit is the most helpful thing ever. And remember how bad it sucks so you never go through it again. And know that it will get better if you put in the hard work.

Hope that helps. Shout if you need anything.
Gosh, Mister, my teeth feel cleaner. But what about the hole in the wall?

Offline Doug P

« Reply #1087 on: December 28, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Quote from: chewie
General quit discussion, questions, answers, etc.

Guests looking to quit looking for answers are welcome.
Hi, I'm new and actuallly here as a supporting wife to a quitter.
Just got our alternative chew.
He kinda hates the internet, but he's willing and able so far.
We've been through a LOT OF HELL in all kinds of other times and made it out sgtronger than ever, so I'm confident I can help him through this upcomming HELL and remained not only married, but best friends.
I understand the claws are going to come out, the growls will roar, and frankly, the whiskey bottle might take a few extra hits... right?

Any advice on how to be a supportive, but far from annoying life partner through this?

Thanks,
MintJawLady
(aka in past life as Crazy Mint Lady, so I changed it up a little). cowboy
I think you're already doing a great job. The fact that you are on here and care. Give him strength. Tell him you believe in him.

Offline MintJawLady

« Reply #1086 on: December 28, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Quote from: chewie
General quit discussion, questions, answers, etc.

Guests looking to quit looking for answers are welcome.
Hi, I'm new and actuallly here as a supporting wife to a quitter.
Just got our alternative chew.
He kinda hates the internet, but he's willing and able so far.
We've been through a LOT OF HELL in all kinds of other times and made it out sgtronger than ever, so I'm confident I can help him through this upcomming HELL and remained not only married, but best friends.
I understand the claws are going to come out, the growls will roar, and frankly, the whiskey bottle might take a few extra hits... right?

Any advice on how to be a supportive, but far from annoying life partner through this?

Thanks,
MintJawLady
(aka in past life as Crazy Mint Lady, so I changed it up a little). cowboy

Offline MintJawLady

« Reply #1085 on: December 28, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

Congratulations!

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #1084 on: December 28, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Quote from: razd611

Congrats on the three years.
'boob' :wub: :D

Awesome!
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021