Author Topic: General Discussion - 2016  (Read 41011 times)

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: General Discussion - 2016
« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Quote from: dhoskins717
Glad to be part of the family. I had quit 9-16-2016 @ 0730. Had no intentions to quit, acid reflux was bothering me so I spit that juicy deliciousness in a trash can. Three hours go by... I didn't notice. After realizing I set a personal best I handed my Grizzly Wintergreen Long Cut to my buddy. Since that day, it's been an easy road. Eight years, I used a little less than a can and a half a day. I'm going to win, because I want to win. Easy day. However, my question for most of y'all War dogs is concern of my tongue. For a fixation, I usually swirl a toothpick in my mouth... all day. My tongue has little white looking blisters, mostly on the sides. Is this normal? Is it the toothpicks, acid levels normalizing, or...
dhoskins, nice job on the quit so far. Close to a month on your own is badass!

As far as the tongue goes, have you been to the dentist? Thats the best thing for you. I would give it 30 or so days of quit before you go.

I never had tongue issues, more jaw and neck pain that eventually subsided after 100+ days even!

Now, I'd love to welcome you to the family bro, if you join your DECEMBER 2016 quit group and post roll everyday, as darth vader said ' you will then feel the true power of the darkside'.

I appreciate the lurkers, and its all good, I did it too. I was a kill the can lurker...I also quit dozens of times, and restarted eventually. Whats different this time?

I dove into this site, and The daily quit promise to my November 2015 brothers that i wont use. Will you join us?

Pop into DECEMBER 2016, post roll call, its easy. Get to know some of those guys and gals, they are all just like you and going through the same quit junk you are going through. SPread some of your quit wisdom on them, and learn some too!

Offline dhoskins717

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #565 on: October 11, 2016, 12:57:00 AM »
Glad to be part of the family. I had quit 9-16-2016 @ 0730. Had no intentions to quit, acid reflux was bothering me so I spit that juicy deliciousness in a trash can. Three hours go by... I didn't notice. After realizing I set a personal best I handed my Grizzly Wintergreen Long Cut to my buddy. Since that day, it's been an easy road. Eight years, I used a little less than a can and a half a day. I'm going to win, because I want to win. Easy day. However, my question for most of y'all War dogs is concern of my tongue. For a fixation, I usually swirl a toothpick in my mouth... all day. My tongue has little white looking blisters, mostly on the sides. Is this normal? Is it the toothpicks, acid levels normalizing, or...

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2556
« Reply #564 on: October 10, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Sait
Hi Guys-

I stopped cold turkey the morning of Friday 9/23/16. I have chewed (Skoal Straight) off and on for 15 years. More so on and at about a tin a day, depending on the day... I woke early the morning of the 23rd to a very realistic dream about having cancer and saying goodbye to my two young boys and wife. It really hit home this time! This time I QUIT for me and not to please anyone else. I am done and quit with all of you.

Some things I have been through since my quit - I have never been a nervous/anxious person, but I am very shook up this time. I have been battling with major anxiety and ended up in the hospital with what I thought was a heart attack. Turns out it was just a panic attack. I think most of the anxiety is coming from the dream and thought that I have cancer. Easy right? just get those thoughts out of your head. In my normal state, it would be, but with the way my body is reacting to no nicotine this time, it has me in a tailspin. I had a full workup at the hospital and went to my general doctor the following day and got a full physical and blood work. Everything came back perfect both times. I have since been to an oral surgeon and dentist, both of which said I am fine. My mind will not let this dream go and it is killing me! I have an appointment with my ENT tomorrow to have my throat scoped and check my neck.

What do I need to do to get past this? I feel terrible not being the energetic dad I normally am and have been slacking at work. I own two home service business and have not been the leader I need to be to keep everything running smooth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Like Spuds said, the anxiety you are dealing with is VERY common for quitters. In time it will begin to subside. 81 days in and I still get some anxious moments, but no where near as many as in the early weeks. The reality is you just have to tough it out a little bit longer because the only way to stop all of this is to stay quit and push on through to the other side.

I was also foggy, unproductive at work. It was rough. But that part of my quit is behind me now and that is what you need to keep focusing on. You will get there soon enough.

Next questionis why haven't you posted roll in Dec 16 yet? Great group of quitters there. Best way to get through anxiety is to stay quit. Best way to stay quit is to post roll.
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #563 on: October 10, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Quote from: Sait
Hi Guys-

I stopped cold turkey the morning of Friday 9/23/16. I have chewed (Skoal Straight) off and on for 15 years. More so on and at about a tin a day, depending on the day... I woke early the morning of the 23rd to a very realistic dream about having cancer and saying goodbye to my two young boys and wife. It really hit home this time! This time I QUIT for me and not to please anyone else. I am done and quit with all of you.

Some things I have been through since my quit - I have never been a nervous/anxious person, but I am very shook up this time. I have been battling with major anxiety and ended up in the hospital with what I thought was a heart attack. Turns out it was just a panic attack. I think most of the anxiety is coming from the dream and thought that I have cancer. Easy right? just get those thoughts out of your head. In my normal state, it would be, but with the way my body is reacting to no nicotine this time, it has me in a tailspin. I had a full workup at the hospital and went to my general doctor the following day and got a full physical and blood work. Everything came back perfect both times. I have since been to an oral surgeon and dentist, both of which said I am fine. My mind will not let this dream go and it is killing me! I have an appointment with my ENT tomorrow to have my throat scoped and check my neck.

What do I need to do to get past this? I feel terrible not being the energetic dad I normally am and have been slacking at work. I own two home service business and have not been the leader I need to be to keep everything running smooth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sait Welcome and Congratulations on your decision
A couple things:
The anxiety is very common as is the fear of the damage we can inflicted to ourselves.
KTC has termendous resources use them:
Check out the welcome center: forum/55560/
Post roll daily: topic/11758795/329/#new
Check out the section designated for anxiety: topic/1009791/127/#new
http://www.killthecan.org/your-quit/sym ... -dip-chew/

Post roll, join us and believe me, everyday gets better
Idaho Spuds - 785days

Offline Sait

• Quit Date: 2016-09-23
« Reply #562 on: October 10, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
Hi Guys-

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #561 on: October 09, 2016, 12:47:00 AM »
Quote from: KingNothing
Quote from: nodipinthislip
Quote from: StephenC
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. I haven't chewed for a few days now. Ive tried so many times before. I got some nicoret gum to help this time. Just wondering how well anyone else has done with it? Thanks for the help.
cold turkey.....that is the way it is done here.....you are still using the ingredient that makes you want to keep that cancer dirt in your lip.....fuck nicotine man....join January quit group and get at it ....
Agreed ^^^^. If you want to quit dip, then quit nicotine. It's not always easy, but it's simple. Keep nicotine out of your mouth and out of your bloodstream. Think very hard about what you're getting from nicotine infused gum. It's just stringing you along. Quit now and quit like your life depends on it.

King - 456 days of quitting. It works.
Trying to quit and still using nicotine isn't really trying. Chewing tobacco is not your problem. Nicotine is the real enemy!

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #560 on: October 08, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
Quote from: nodipinthislip
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. I haven't chewed for a few days now. Ive tried so many times before. I got some nicoret gum to help this time. Just wondering how well anyone else has done with it? Thanks for the help.
cold turkey.....that is the way it is done here.....you are still using the ingredient that makes you want to keep that cancer dirt in your lip.....fuck nicotine man....join January quit group and get at it ....
Agreed ^^^^. If you want to quit dip, then quit nicotine. It's not always easy, but it's simple. Keep nicotine out of your mouth and out of your bloodstream. Think very hard about what you're getting from nicotine infused gum. It's just stringing you along. Quit now and quit like your life depends on it.

King - 456 days of quitting. It works.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline nodipinthislip

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #559 on: October 07, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
Hi guys,

Offline StephenC

« Reply #558 on: October 07, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »
Hi guys,

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #557 on: October 05, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Quote from: Gary
Quote from: pky1520
Hello all. I quit 61 days ago. I went to get my wisdom teeth taken out today and the oral surgeon said I had a fibroma on my madibular gums. The oral surgeon didn't biopsy it. He just said keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger or changes shape let him know. Does anyone know what a fibroma is? Should I be concerned.
According to Wikipedia, it's a benign growth in fibrous tissue, and harmless.

If the surgeon didn't feel a need to biopsy, then I'd say you should just follow his advice and make sure it doesn't start growing.

You could always get a second opinion, or get it removed for cosmetic/ comfort reasons, but I wouldn't start freaking out about it as a serious health issue.
Thanks,

Just a little freaked out about it. I have started to get that way since I quit. Expecially about my mouth.
GaryP,
I was the same (and still am a little) always worrying about my mouth health.
But here is the good news;
1) you are quit and posting roll and therefore not doing anymore harm.
2) your body is healing and it will continue to do so

Offline Gary P

• Quit Date: 2016-08-05
« Reply #556 on: October 04, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
Quote from: pky1520
Hello all. I quit 61 days ago. I went to get my wisdom teeth taken out today and the oral surgeon said I had a fibroma on my madibular gums. The oral surgeon didn't biopsy it. He just said keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger or changes shape let him know. Does anyone know what a fibroma is? Should I be concerned.

If the surgeon didn't feel a need to biopsy, then I'd say you should just follow his advice and make sure it doesn't start growing.

You could always get a second opinion, or get it removed for cosmetic/ comfort reasons, but I wouldn't start freaking out about it as a serious health issue.
Thanks,

Just a little freaked out about it. I have started to get that way since I quit. Expecially about my mouth.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #555 on: October 04, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »

Offline Gary P

• Quit Date: 2016-08-05
« Reply #554 on: October 04, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #553 on: October 02, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Quote from: lowell
Yah, I'm not going anywhere. This is a great website full of help
Cmon Lowell brother, you ready to post yet? There is so much more to this site than the General Discussion board. Join us!

Offline lowell knapp

• Quit Date: 2016-08-20
« Reply #552 on: September 29, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
Yah, I'm not going anywhere. This is a great website full of help