Author Topic: General Discussion - 2016  (Read 39890 times)

Offline darwinfeeshy

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-12-24
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General Discussion - 2016
« Reply #626 on: December 10, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Hey all,

First day quitter here. I've been chewing a can a day for about 7 years, never quit for more than a week or two.

What I wanted to ask is, did any of you heavy dippers experience pain in your ears? Like an occasional mild, dull ache/pressure? Cause I have that.

It's irregular but it's definitely linked to chewing, because when ever I would stop for a day or two it would go away. I think it's linked to the throat irritation that chew causes.

Same thing with my jaw sometimes. Whenever I would open my mouth really wide my jaw would pop, nothing too serious, kinda like popping a knuckle. It was strange.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Offline swearengen

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-11-14
« Reply #625 on: December 05, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
Quote from: pky1520
Quote from: swearengen
Question --

I was reading this blog on KTC, and I'm a little unclear on what this dentist is saying. Is he saying that fake dip will cause cancer just as effectively as the real thing?

http://blog.killthecan.org/2015/04/fake ... s-opinion/
That does appear to be what that one dentist is saying about that one product. However, let's take that with a HUGE grain of salt.
1. Fake doesn't contain addictive chemicals. So you will be able to wean off and stop using fairly quickly. Personally, I haven't used the fake since around day 80. If that had been a nicotine product, I'd still be using it right now.
2. Not all fakes are created equally. Different products use different ingredients to create that "burn" sensation. If your particular product uses something that creates an irritation in the same way as tobacco, then perhaps it is harmful. However, smoky mountain for instance, uses cayenne to create that. That product creates a similar 'burn' but there's no way it's as harmful as the chemicals used in tobacco.
3. This reaction seems to be based on gut reaction rather than any kind of scientific process. For this statement to be in any way qualified, it would need to be backed up by research. Honestly, this seems like an off-hand general answer rather than an official scientific opinion.

Frankly his statement seems rather irresponsible. It needs to be qualified across several fronts and then backed up with research.

In terms of how it should affect you, it shouldn't. Do you want to be quit  free or addicted  a slave? If I was diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I'd still choose to spend the rest of my life free. That has to be your mindset.

I applaud you for seeking out information and trying to learn as much as possible. You'll find a lot of contradictory stuff out there. Take it in stride and keep your focus. Stay quit today and then do it again tomorrow.

Edit: Also superb screen name and avatar. There's a special place in Hell for the HBO exec that pulled the plug on Deadwood.
Thanks for responding. This issue gives me a bit of pause, but it's not going to affect my quit. Nothing interferes with my quit.

EDIT: I too was really pissed when Deadwood got the boot. So many loose ends.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #624 on: December 05, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Quote from: Zacktaylor1993@gmail.com
My name is zack I quit dipping 1 week ago I had a bump come up in my mouth what caused me to quit went to the dentist got a cancer scan everything came back great no cancer haven't had one since but after getting no mouth cancer news I thought I had throat cancer went got a throats ultra sound came back normal throats felt like it was closing up and I really thought I had it but they said I didn't I've been scared for 2 weeks even after I got the news of no cancer I'm still worrying everyday now I feel like I'm losing weight and I eating all the time is this normal
It's definitely normal to freak out when you have a health scare. If the doctor said that you don't have cancer, then you should be in the clear.

Using dip and quitting dip will definitely do some crazy stuff to your body. Phantom pain, sore throat, panic over health - all of these are very normal during your quit.

The most important is to make sure you are committed to quitting, even after this health crisis passes. I've been in your shoes - panic about a weird white patch on my lip, check with the dentist, quit for a few days out of fear. Then as soon as I get the all clear and the panic subsides, I'm right back using just as heavy as before.

The important thing is to get to the point where you want to be quit regardless of your health situation. You should go check out the March Quit group and start posting roll. Roll is for people who are serious about quitting and make the promise to stay quit for today, every day.

Reach out if I can help in any way

-pky - I've been quit every day for 218 days.

Zacktaylor1993@gmail.com

« Reply #623 on: December 05, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
My name is zack I quit dipping 1 week ago I had a bump come up in my mouth what caused me to quit went to the dentist got a cancer scan everything came back great no cancer haven't had one since but after getting no mouth cancer news I thought I had throat cancer went got a throats ultra sound came back normal throats felt like it was closing up and I really thought I had it but they said I didn't I've been scared for 2 weeks even after I got the news of no cancer I'm still worrying everyday now I feel like I'm losing weight and I eating all the time is this normal

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #622 on: December 04, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Quote from: swearengen
Question --

I was reading this blog on KTC, and I'm a little unclear on what this dentist is saying. Is he saying that fake dip will cause cancer just as effectively as the real thing?

That does appear to be what that one dentist is saying about that one product. However, let's take that with a HUGE grain of salt.
1. Fake doesn't contain addictive chemicals. So you will be able to wean off and stop using fairly quickly. Personally, I haven't used the fake since around day 80. If that had been a nicotine product, I'd still be using it right now.
2. Not all fakes are created equally. Different products use different ingredients to create that "burn" sensation. If your particular product uses something that creates an irritation in the same way as tobacco, then perhaps it is harmful. However, smoky mountain for instance, uses cayenne to create that. That product creates a similar 'burn' but there's no way it's as harmful as the chemicals used in tobacco.
3. This reaction seems to be based on gut reaction rather than any kind of scientific process. For this statement to be in any way qualified, it would need to be backed up by research. Honestly, this seems like an off-hand general answer rather than an official scientific opinion.

Frankly his statement seems rather irresponsible. It needs to be qualified across several fronts and then backed up with research.

In terms of how it should affect you, it shouldn't. Do you want to be quit  free or addicted  a slave? If I was diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I'd still choose to spend the rest of my life free. That has to be your mindset.

I applaud you for seeking out information and trying to learn as much as possible. You'll find a lot of contradictory stuff out there. Take it in stride and keep your focus. Stay quit today and then do it again tomorrow.

Edit: Also superb screen name and avatar. There's a special place in Hell for the HBO exec that pulled the plug on Deadwood.

Offline swearengen

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-11-14
« Reply #621 on: December 03, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Question --

Offline scottludwig

• Quitter
  • it’s good to be quit w the cult
  • Quit Date: November 2, 2016
  • Interests: I will not live the second half of my adult life with nicotine in my body
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #620 on: December 03, 2016, 02:34:00 AM »
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/1 ... -stadiums/

So I guess this is old news.... it was on the radio yesterday for some reason

Offline scottludwig

• Quitter
  • it’s good to be quit w the cult
  • Quit Date: November 2, 2016
  • Interests: I will not live the second half of my adult life with nicotine in my body
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #619 on: December 03, 2016, 02:31:00 AM »
Wanted to get this shit out there....

Gov. Brown Signs Bill Banning Smokeless Tobacco Use In State’s Pro Baseball Stadiums – CBS San Francisco

Players, fans, baseball, no dip. Check it out.

Hey KN, I reached out to Charro (sp?) earlier today. Hope he's ready to give it up.

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #618 on: December 01, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
Quote from: chambro
2 weeks quit. I've been trolling this site for years and I'm finally doing it. 20 years of cope, can a day, and I never want to go back again. It has ruined my life and has hurt my marriage. I'll never go back. Where's my quit group.
March 2017

Welcome chambro, your hatred for nicotine and the slavery you willingly endured for 20 years is great. One word of advice, don't worry about forever. Just win today. Deal with tomorrow when it gets here.

Okay one more piece of advice, get to know the other quitters in your quit group. Really get to know them. If you do it right, these quitters will improve your chances of success one hundred fold.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline chambro

• Quitter
« Reply #617 on: December 01, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
2 weeks quit. I've been trolling this site for years and I'm finally doing it. 20 years of cope, can a day, and I never want to go back again. It has ruined my life and has hurt my marriage. I'll never go back. Where's my quit group.

Offline chambro

• Quitter
« Reply #616 on: December 01, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #615 on: November 30, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
Quote from: chewie
Quote from: Edward
Quote from: canless2014
Well... that sucked. Glad to be back up and running.

Thankful for all you fellow quitters. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving tomorrow folks!

Chewie
Nice work Chewie! Happy Thanksgiving, stay quit y'all!
Thanks Chewie for all of your efforts in the past and especially during the recent outage.

Has anyone else noticed that there are extra blank pages in many of the forums? At the top and bottom of every page, are the links to specific page numbers. In the October 2016 group right now it shows:
Pages: [1] [...] [1240] [1241]
Usually, if you click on the last option, it will take you to that page and there is the most recent posts. If you do that right now, you go to that page, but there are no posts there, just the black band describing the thread, and then the list of members viewing that page.

We've been working around it so far, but if the issue isn't wide spread, the folks that can fix it, may not know that something is broken.
Not a complete list but here are the pages I've noticed this issue on:
  • October 2016
  • December 2016
  • July 2016
  • February 2016
  • March 2016
Appreciate the kind words... but I honestly didn't do much. I was just communicating with the folks at Zeta.

My guess re: blank pages is that since they essentially needed to rebuild from scrath there were some left over "bits and bytes" (not wanting to get too technical).

I can enter a support ticket to see if they can't clean things up but my guess is that those extra pages will go away once there are more responses to those affected threads.
The blank page issue has been taken care of (thanks flashman!)

Let us know if you continue to see this pop up.
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com

Offline mikelivefree

• Quitter
  • Interests: Being outdoors and in the woods, baseball, music
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #614 on: November 29, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
Quote from: DjPorkchop
Quote from: Gashauler502
Quote from: Lassiter1011
I quit this morning. Been wanting to kick the habit a long time. Been dipping for 20 plus years. Not bad right now but worried about when i get home lol. Ive got this. Got to stay on the move i guess.
Make sure you get your introduction done, and post roll in the appropriate group. I think you'll want Feb 2017. I can't grab links right now.

Get that support going, your roll post is your daily promise to stay quit. Welcome to KTC and glad to quit with you.
And it looks like he gave up on us the same day he quit. Hopefully he finds his way one of these days.
Oh how many times did I start the day with grand resolve only to find myself sitting alone spitting into a cup by evening? Pre KTC! Just posted 331. He'll be back. God's working on him. This is tough tough shit! Life or death stuff. I quit for 7 years and fell back into when I thought I had it licked. Always an addict I am. But, today... a non-using addict! Hoorah!

Offline DjPorkchop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Mother Fricker!!!
    • PaPa Ray's Photography
  • Quit Date: 9/17/2015
  • Interests: Brewing Beer and Building Cheap Smokers (UDS Drums)
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #613 on: November 29, 2016, 02:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Gashauler502
Quote from: Lassiter1011
I quit this morning. Been wanting to kick the habit a long time. Been dipping for 20 plus years. Not bad right now but worried about when i get home lol. Ive got this. Got to stay on the move i guess.
Make sure you get your introduction done, and post roll in the appropriate group. I think you'll want Feb 2017. I can't grab links right now.

Get that support going, your roll post is your daily promise to stay quit. Welcome to KTC and glad to quit with you.
And it looks like he gave up on us the same day he quit. Hopefully he finds his way one of these days.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #612 on: November 28, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Edward
Quote from: canless2014
Well... that sucked. Glad to be back up and running.

Thankful for all you fellow quitters. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving tomorrow folks!

Chewie
Nice work Chewie! Happy Thanksgiving, stay quit y'all!
Thanks Chewie for all of your efforts in the past and especially during the recent outage.

Has anyone else noticed that there are extra blank pages in many of the forums? At the top and bottom of every page, are the links to specific page numbers. In the October 2016 group right now it shows:
Pages: [1] [...] [1240] [1241]
Usually, if you click on the last option, it will take you to that page and there is the most recent posts. If you do that right now, you go to that page, but there are no posts there, just the black band describing the thread, and then the list of members viewing that page.

We've been working around it so far, but if the issue isn't wide spread, the folks that can fix it, may not know that something is broken.
Not a complete list but here are the pages I've noticed this issue on:
  • October 2016
  • December 2016
  • July 2016
  • February 2016
  • March 2016
Appreciate the kind words... but I honestly didn't do much. I was just communicating with the folks at Zeta.

My guess re: blank pages is that since they essentially needed to rebuild from scrath there were some left over "bits and bytes" (not wanting to get too technical).

I can enter a support ticket to see if they can't clean things up but my guess is that those extra pages will go away once there are more responses to those affected threads.
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com