Author Topic: General Discussion - 2017  (Read 35648 times)

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 350
Re: General Discussion - 2017
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
In case you don't take a look at the calendar at the bottom of the site often (you should, there's some really cool stuff and BIG quit numbers down there) KillTheCan.org will celebrate our 11th anniversary on Monday!

https://www.killthecan.org/11-years-of- ... o-for-ktc/

As we always do, we've opened up a SITE WIDE roll call to be open on that day only. Please stop by on Monday to post roll to help us celebrate.

topic/30400956/

Proud to be quit with you all today.
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com

Offline Montovon

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Tobacco Companies Kill Their Best Clients
  • Quit Date: 8/24/17
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #477 on: November 14, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
Quote from: kchad90
Quote from: Samrs
Quote from: Girldipper
Hi everyone,
IÂ’m not good with forum communities so if this isnÂ’t the right place to post I apologize. IÂ’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the end result was once you quit. I have been feeling tender on the outside of where the dip sits, like on my face. Just tender to touch, not exactly painful. I also get random pains in the same area, they are gone as fast as they come and thereÂ’s no time frame to it. I am also tender on the inside where the dip sits, but IÂ’ve felt that before and it always went away. Has anyone experienced this and did it go away after quitting? I am saying today is it, IÂ’m done, and I hope I can stick to it. IÂ’m 27 and have been dipping since I was 21. Any advice on how to stick to quitting would be appreciated. I have a lot of time on my hands as I donÂ’t work to stay home with my daughter so itÂ’s hard to occupy myself and town is too far to get out of the house for a distraction. I also have a severe anxiety disorder (postpartum) and if itÂ’s been too long between dipping I can feel my anxiety peak. I am under the care of a doctor for that but IÂ’m not sure what they could advise with this.
GD - I'm going to send you a PM (private message) with a couple of links. tl;dr version - everybody's quit is different, but they all seem to rhyme. I've had tender spots on my face off and on and periods of pain like you describe early on in my quit. Nicotine can be a mild analgesic, so your dipping may have been covering over some minor pains that you're experiencing now as you heal.

As for advice on how to stick to quitting... here's a great start: Here's How You Quit... Ball Is In Your Court Now. That describes how things work here at KTC.

Your next step is to post roll in the February quit group. Roll is a promise to us - and to yourself - that you won't use nicotine for a day. Quitting forever is hard, and the thought of it can be scary; quitting for one day is a lot more manageable... and if you can quit one day at at time, those days start adding up.

Glad to have you here. Post roll, get involved in your group, and get some support. This place is amazing - you won't regret it.
Samrs is absolutely right. Today is the day that you can change your life forever. Throw away your tin or flush the dip down the toilet.

Go post roll in your quit group as a day 1. I started dipping at the age of 17. I dipped for 10 years. Today is my day 344 of being quit. I have gotten this far with a little will power, the support of this site, and posting roll 1 day at a time! I had many unsuccessful quit attempts until I found Ktc. The system here works, if you stick it out and par take in it!
Hey Girldipper,

I dipped Kodiak Long Cut for 17 years, and found my way to this site while googling symptoms of dip withdrawal, because the fog was heavy early on. I am now on day 82, which is about 72 days longer than my longest quit attempt. I too am not great with boards like this, and was very hesitant early on to open up and even share any contact info. Once you get on and navigate the site and the process a little, you will begin to see how it all works and how it helps.

The power of conversation, accountability, sharing wins and losses, and involvement with people who understand what you are going through has been the biggest help for my quit. I hope you take the advice being provided, because if I can do it, you can do it too.
HOF: 12/1/17...   2nd Floor: 3/11/18...  3rd Floor: 6/19/18...  1 Year: 8/23/18...  4th Floor: 9/27/18...  5th Floor: 1/6/19...  6th Floor: 4/15/19...   7th Floor 7/24/19...  2 Years: 8/23/19...  8th Floor: 11/1/19... 9th Floor: 2/9/20...  Dangle: 5/19/20

Offline Montovon

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Tobacco Companies Kill Their Best Clients
  • Quit Date: 8/24/17
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #476 on: November 14, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Quote from: B--rad
Quote from: Casus
Quote from: CavMan83
Quote from: Leonidas
Alright, I got me a hairbrained idea...
What do you guys think about crowning a member of KTC as a yearly "Quit Ambassador"?
You know, for the member that goes above and beyond helping people here at KTC.
We could vote on it, or even not have a vote.
Just let people throw out a nomination, to give props to certain members.
Maybe one nomination per member.
It'd be nice to see Samrs or FLLip or whoever, get some major love.
I knew I liked your crusty ass for some reason, and I believe you just hit on it.....

That is likely the best thing I've come across on KTC, save for KTC itself. While it would take some additional management to do correctly, I'd think that there could be a poll put up on a yearly basis, say, right at New Year's, to get the members of KTC to vote on who they feel should be recognized for helping stabilize and support the most quits. Nominations could be made the month of December, with the polls opening right at the first of the year, and the final tally concluded by the end of January.

We could even announce the winner on February 14th (show some love to the winner!!!)

I, for one, voice my support of this initiative....

(and just FYSA, I already think FLLip is the BOMB!!!) :wub:
Good idea, I am in favor.

I nominate Broccoli-saurus
That is a great nomination Casus!!!!!
FLLip. Definitely. She's da bomb.
I would nominate Samrs...
HOF: 12/1/17...   2nd Floor: 3/11/18...  3rd Floor: 6/19/18...  1 Year: 8/23/18...  4th Floor: 9/27/18...  5th Floor: 1/6/19...  6th Floor: 4/15/19...   7th Floor 7/24/19...  2 Years: 8/23/19...  8th Floor: 11/1/19... 9th Floor: 2/9/20...  Dangle: 5/19/20

Offline Kchad90

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hunting, hiking, camping, fishing, family and friends. I also like horror movies!
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #475 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Hi everyone,
IÂ’m not good with forum communities so if this isnÂ’t the right place to post I apologize. IÂ’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the end result was once you quit. I have been feeling tender on the outside of where the dip sits, like on my face. Just tender to touch, not exactly painful. I also get random pains in the same area, they are gone as fast as they come and thereÂ’s no time frame to it. I am also tender on the inside where the dip sits, but IÂ’ve felt that before and it always went away. Has anyone experienced this and did it go away after quitting? I am saying today is it, IÂ’m done, and I hope I can stick to it. IÂ’m 27 and have been dipping since I was 21. Any advice on how to stick to quitting would be appreciated. I have a lot of time on my hands as I donÂ’t work to stay home with my daughter so itÂ’s hard to occupy myself and town is too far to get out of the house for a distraction. I also have a severe anxiety disorder (postpartum) and if itÂ’s been too long between dipping I can feel my anxiety peak. I am under the care of a doctor for that but IÂ’m not sure what they could advise with this.
GD - I'm going to send you a PM (private message) with a couple of links. tl;dr version - everybody's quit is different, but they all seem to rhyme. I've had tender spots on my face off and on and periods of pain like you describe early on in my quit. Nicotine can be a mild analgesic, so your dipping may have been covering over some minor pains that you're experiencing now as you heal.

As for advice on how to stick to quitting... here's a great start: Here's How You Quit... Ball Is In Your Court Now. That describes how things work here at KTC.

Your next step is to post roll in the February quit group. Roll is a promise to us - and to yourself - that you won't use nicotine for a day. Quitting forever is hard, and the thought of it can be scary; quitting for one day is a lot more manageable... and if you can quit one day at at time, those days start adding up.

Glad to have you here. Post roll, get involved in your group, and get some support. This place is amazing - you won't regret it.
Samrs is absolutely right. Today is the day that you can change your life forever. Throw away your tin or flush the dip down the toilet.

Go post roll in your quit group as a day 1. I started dipping at the age of 17. I dipped for 10 years. Today is my day 344 of being quit. I have gotten this far with a little will power, the support of this site, and posting roll 1 day at a time! I had many unsuccessful quit attempts until I found Ktc. The system here works, if you stick it out and par take in it!

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Just freaking post roll, OK?
  • Quit Date: 10 Jan 2017
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline Girldipper

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #473 on: November 14, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
Quote from: B--rad
What do you guys think about crowning a member of KTC as a yearly "Quit Ambassador"?
I knew I liked your crusty ass for some reason, and I believe you just hit on it.....

That is likely the best thing I've come across on KTC, save for KTC itself. While it would take some additional management to do correctly, I'd think that there could be a poll put up on a yearly basis, say, right at New Year's, to get the members of KTC to vote on who they feel should be recognized for helping stabilize and support the most quits. Nominations could be made the month of December, with the polls opening right at the first of the year, and the final tally concluded by the end of January.

We could even announce the winner on February 14th (show some love to the winner!!!)

FLLip. Definitely. She's da bomb.
"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline B--rad

• Here to jack your roll
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »

Offline Casus belli

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-05-12
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »

Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want.

Offline CavMan83

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-10
  • Interests: Bass Fishing, music, all things motorsports, National Defense
« Reply #469 on: November 11, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »

Offline Leonidas

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
  • Schizophrenic Born Again Problem Child
  • Likes Given: 1186
« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
Nothing Gold Can Stay

"When I grow up, I'm gonna grow a Man Bun!!!" - MNxEngineer314

"Yes I'm a weasel, but look! My name's RED!!!" - walterwhite

"Matt....Da_mon...." - Palpatine

Offline Jacobmldn

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Interests: Salt water fishing, duck hunting, Atlanta Braves, Georgia Bulldawgs, Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Hawks, crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #467 on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
Quote from: DonkeyMN
Quote from: jacobmldn
I have a serious question for all the parents out there.

My son will turn one this month. He has been eating table food for about a month now. We are usually keeping him to only a bottle in the morning and one at night. The rest of the food he was eating was table food. About two weeks ago, he quit eating table food at day care. He would still eat it at home, just not at daycare. He would see the other babies eating the purees and he would keep pointing to them like he only wants the pures or milk. This past week that behavior has trickled into our home. He now will not eat table food at daycare or at home. I really want to ween him off of all bottles, but it seems like we are moving backwards. The last two nights i have let him sit in his high chair with food that he likes for a hour with him jsut screaming the whole time. He didn't even want to touch the food.

We need help. I need to figure out how to get him to eat food again.

Any words of wisdom or ideas would be much appreciated.
It is likely just a phase. He isn't even one yet, no need to feed him porkchops (jk)

Let him eat what ever he will, but I do agree that the bottles need to go soon. Buy some high quality sippy cups and get him on those otherwise his developing teeth will get messed up.

See what happens in a few weeks, and/or figure out if there is a certain puree that he really likes and dont give it to him, but give him the solid alternative. i.e. if he really likes banana in the goop, no more of that one but cut up bananas are an option.

But mostly just chill - hes 11 months old
He has plenty of sippy cups and loves juice and water and knows how to drink from them and all that...

The thing is that we know he likes all of these foods, he just knows that a bottle being given to him is much easier. It like he is throwing fits to see what he can get away with.

Update...Day care called and said he doesn't even want the purees anymore. Only wants bottle. How can he be regressing when it comes to eating?

I'm usually pretty calm about things, but constantly hearing my wife worry about it has me looking for answers.
Well it has been about 6 years since I was in your shoes, but I seem to remember taking the NUK and bottle away from my kids around 1 yr old, and going to 2% milk in a sippy then.

Sure he is testing you to see what he gets away with.... get used to it roflmao

I still wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you truly are - you and your daycare people had damn well get on the same playbook if you are going to try something. One side doing something at home and having the other undo it at daycare is a recipie for disaster.

Good luck, and welcome to parenthood. flame1
That, right there, is the most fitting use of the flamethrower emoticon I have ever seen here.
Yea, I think I'm a little worried that our day care isn't being completely honest with us on what they are doing. Only reason is that he has never liked eating at day care according to them. They have tried "everything" but just cant get him to eat there. But we used to have zero problems with him eating at home.

I knew there was a thing as sleep regression, never knew there would be a possibility of food regression...

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #466 on: November 08, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

My son will turn one this month. He has been eating table food for about a month now. We are usually keeping him to only a bottle in the morning and one at night. The rest of the food he was eating was table food. About two weeks ago, he quit eating table food at day care. He would still eat it at home, just not at daycare. He would see the other babies eating the purees and he would keep pointing to them like he only wants the pures or milk. This past week that behavior has trickled into our home. He now will not eat table food at daycare or at home. I really want to ween him off of all bottles, but it seems like we are moving backwards. The last two nights i have let him sit in his high chair with food that he likes for a hour with him jsut screaming the whole time. He didn't even want to touch the food.

It is likely just a phase. He isn't even one yet, no need to feed him porkchops (jk)

Let him eat what ever he will, but I do agree that the bottles need to go soon. Buy some high quality sippy cups and get him on those otherwise his developing teeth will get messed up.

See what happens in a few weeks, and/or figure out if there is a certain puree that he really likes and dont give it to him, but give him the solid alternative. i.e. if he really likes banana in the goop, no more of that one but cut up bananas are an option.

He has plenty of sippy cups and loves juice and water and knows how to drink from them and all that...

The thing is that we know he likes all of these foods, he just knows that a bottle being given to him is much easier. It like he is throwing fits to see what he can get away with.

Update...Day care called and said he doesn't even want the purees anymore. Only wants bottle. How can he be regressing when it comes to eating?

I'm usually pretty calm about things, but constantly hearing my wife worry about it has me looking for answers.
Well it has been about 6 years since I was in your shoes, but I seem to remember taking the NUK and bottle away from my kids around 1 yr old, and going to 2% milk in a sippy then.

I still wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you truly are - you and your daycare people had damn well get on the same playbook if you are going to try something. One side doing something at home and having the other undo it at daycare is a recipie for disaster.

That, right there, is the most fitting use of the flamethrower emoticon I have ever seen here.

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 574
« Reply #465 on: November 08, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »

To remain quit requires focus
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Jacobmldn

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Interests: Salt water fishing, duck hunting, Atlanta Braves, Georgia Bulldawgs, Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Hawks, crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #464 on: November 08, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »