Author Topic: General Discussion - 2018  (Read 86732 times)

Offline Seadotsea

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General Discussion - 2018
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
Almost to day 60 and I have balanced out a bit. It was rough to feel that way, my doctor wanted to put me on some anti depressants. I have never been depressed so I knew it was the dip making a last ditch effort to suck me back in!

I still have some brief moments of feelings low but I’m starting to feel normal again. Reading that I was not alone helped a ton. When I make it to 100 I’m going to share everything I went through as to hopefully help the next person in my position to not feel alone or different.

I honestly don’t fear going back to chew, I quit for myself and I will not fail. I do fear not feeling completely normal for what that is worth. However it’s possible I don’t know what normal really is and how much better I might be.

Offline Raider

• Quit Pro
  • Imma Quitter
  • Quit Date: Feb 28, 2014
  • Interests: Fishing, Camping, Kayaking, but mainly spending time with the family and friends.
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:10 AM »
Sea, time to dig your heels in. What’s going on with you at 50 happened to me around 70. Yes it sucks but it will get better, I promise. I’m now at 1,689 and loving the new normal. Stay involved in your group and in chat. It helped me tremendously.

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2556
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »
Sea...you are absolutely not alone.  The 50s were some of my hardest days and, yes, anxiety played a big, big part of it.  I clearly remember being scared that this was my "new normal" because, like you, I thought by my 50s I should be over all of this crap.  I was afraid I would feel like this forever.  I didn't.  Give it some time and just know that this is perfectly normal.  Your body is still healing. Have patience, be good to yourself, and if it gets too bad, please don't hesitate to talk to your doctor.  S/he may be able to prescribe some meds that can help you through the tough patches. 

Hi All,

Today is day 50, I’m not much a group guy but I think I’m going to get more involved in that starting today.

Day 49 guys was the hardest day of my quit, I’m sad to say I ended up in the ER with a massive panic attack. I was pretty mad at myself for not being able to control myself.

I guess the Depression has showed up in my quit. I think I get get moody/sad.
I feel like after 50 days I should be over this crap!!!!!!

So here are my issues and I would really love to hear I’m not alone in feeling this way this far into my quit.

Sour stomach
Mild depression
Anxiety

The good news is I have ZERO desire to want to chew! I won’t be doing this shit show again.

Thanks for the read guys
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Magnum44

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 9/24/2018
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 11:41:09 AM »

Welcome Magnum! Believe it or not, you're right on track.

https://www.killthecan.org/does-it-ever-get-easier/

My jaw / throat went CRAZY the first few days of my quit and I thought for sure I was a goner. I wasn't.

Here's my first post (from August 2006)

Greetings –

I’m on day 15 of my quit and I’m certain that I will never go back. I’ve posted a couple of times in the general boards, but thought it was finally time to get on board with my “class”. I do have a couple of specific questions if you could help me out.

I have acid reflux which I’m currently treating with Nexium on a daily basis. It seems since I’ve quit dipping that my acid reflux has gotten worse. Does anyone have any experiece with this?

I’ve also been “dizzy” off an on since my quit. Dizzy is too strong of a word – it almost feels like I’ve had a couple of drinks… just not quite right.

Additionally, I’ve had sinus issues (which I think are due to the quit, but thought I’d ask).

I do have an extreme amount of stress in my life right now between the quit, a 9 week old son and a 12 week old job.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

iuchewie

Bottom line... you're healing. Keep quitting. This shit is, believe it or not, normal.

Check these out as well... they'll provide you some insight into what you're going through.

https://www.killthecan.org/your-quit/what-to-expect-when-you-quit-dipping/

https://www.killthecan.org/your-quit/symptoms-of-quitting-dip-chew/

Find your group and keep posting - proud to be quit with you!

Chewie ~ day 4,452

Thanks for the support Chewie.  I am now on day 8 of the quit.  No real problems so far - actually still pretty easy.  Biggest issue is sore throat and sore glands in the upper neck.  Not as bad as it was, but still noticeable.  Just seems to be hanging on longer than it should.

It would just be so damn unfair to get these bad symptoms and have them amount to something bad AFTER I had just gotten the courage to quit -and had quit a few days already! 

Still not giving in to Copenhagen - and I have absolutely zero want to do so - but just want my neck/jaw muscle/throat to start feeling normal again.  Given that it has been 8 days, I can't believe these issues I'm having are associated with the quit....

Good rule of thumb... just about ANYTHING that is happening to you in the first month or so of your quit, you can attribute to your quit.

Chewie:

Thanks again for the support, it means so much.  Just got back from the doctor - I saw my normal family doctor.  Spent a lot of time discussing all the symptoms I'm having.  He knows about my lengthy chewing history.  He was so happy to hear that I quit.  I did mention this website to him - told him how I have found it very helpful - and that he should recommend it to any others he knows that are thinking of quitting....

So, a couple of things of feedback (one personal, the other general):

His opinion is that I have a virus AND with the effects of quitting tobacco - this is what is giving me the issues.  That is his opinion - he said let's wait a couple of weeks and see how things are then.  He didn't seem overly concerned (he did do a simple examination).  But he knows me - I don't want to wait 2 weeks if I do have an issue - so he put in orders for a CAT scan and a visit to the ENT doc - which will occur over the next 7 days.  So, while I still feel like crap, mentally I feel a lot better than before I saw him - as I realize that he very well may be correct in his diagnosis!

The other thing I wanted to point out - on the list of withdrawal systems that people will have.   Well, I was (in my own mind) questioning some of them - like, is this just an excuse.  But my doc strongly said that there IS medical evidence on the headaches, jaw pain, sore throat, etc.  So to those of who are taking this same journey with me during this time period (and I love you for it sisters and brothers) - if you do have some of these withdrawal systems - don't worry as much (like I have been)!

Thanks for the support!  I love this board!

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 351
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »

My jaw / throat went CRAZY the first few days of my quit and I thought for sure I was a goner. I wasn't.

Greetings –

I’m on day 15 of my quit and I’m certain that I will never go back. I’ve posted a couple of times in the general boards, but thought it was finally time to get on board with my “class”. I do have a couple of specific questions if you could help me out.

I have acid reflux which I’m currently treating with Nexium on a daily basis. It seems since I’ve quit dipping that my acid reflux has gotten worse. Does anyone have any experiece with this?

I’ve also been “dizzy” off an on since my quit. Dizzy is too strong of a word – it almost feels like I’ve had a couple of drinks… just not quite right.

Additionally, I’ve had sinus issues (which I think are due to the quit, but thought I’d ask).

I do have an extreme amount of stress in my life right now between the quit, a 9 week old son and a 12 week old job.

Thanks in advance,

iuchewie

Bottom line... you're healing. Keep quitting. This shit is, believe it or not, normal.

Check these out as well... they'll provide you some insight into what you're going through.

Chewie ~ day 4,452

Thanks for the support Chewie.  I am now on day 8 of the quit.  No real problems so far - actually still pretty easy.  Biggest issue is sore throat and sore glands in the upper neck.  Not as bad as it was, but still noticeable.  Just seems to be hanging on longer than it should.

It would just be so damn unfair to get these bad symptoms and have them amount to something bad AFTER I had just gotten the courage to quit -and had quit a few days already! 

Still not giving in to Copenhagen - and I have absolutely zero want to do so - but just want my neck/jaw muscle/throat to start feeling normal again.  Given that it has been 8 days, I can't believe these issues I'm having are associated with the quit....

Good rule of thumb... just about ANYTHING that is happening to you in the first month or so of your quit, you can attribute to your quit.
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com

Offline Magnum44

• Quitter
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »

Greetings –

Thanks in advance,

iuchewie

Chewie ~ day 4,452

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:11:26 PM by Magnum44 »

Offline Stovebolt

• Quitter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
Hi All,

Today is day 50, I’m not much a group guy but I think I’m going to get more involved in that starting today.

Day 49 guys was the hardest day of my quit, I’m sad to say I ended up in the ER with a massive panic attack. I was pretty mad at myself for not being able to control myself.

So here are my issues and I would really love to hear I’m not alone in feeling this way this far into my quit.

Sour stomach
Mild depression
Anxiety

The good news is I have ZERO desire to want to chew! I won’t be doing this shit show again.

Thanks for the read guys

I'm on day 81, so I am not an expert, but...I have had massive anxiety and depression since my quit day.  Nicotine had an unbelievably strong hold on my brain.  It was especially bad in the 45 to 55 day range, just like yours.  I have always struggled with anxiety and depression, self-medicating led me to addiction to begin with.  But quitting caused a whole new level.  THE GOOD NEWS IS:  It is getting better, and asking my doctor to up my anti-depressant worked wonders.

Offline Seadotsea

• Quitter
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »
Hi All,

Sour stomach
Mild depression
Anxiety

Thanks for the read guys

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 10:37:51 AM »
Good Morning everyone!

This is my first post.  Name is Mags, and I've been doing a tin of Cope every other day for the last past 30 years (I am 55).  I finally drew a line in the sand, and on September 24 (Monday), I went cold Turkey.  No more!  So, here we are on Day 7, and I am doing pretty darn well.  Except:

I have figured out if this is coincidental - if it is, it is an awefully mean joke on me - but since Monday I have noticed negative changes in my throat/jaw area.  Symptoms that I did not have while chewing.  A sore throat on one side of it that has been going on for 5 days or so.  Jaw pain - sinus pain.  Everything is on the right side of my face - even though I "held" my dip on the left side of my mouth.

Headed to the GP on Tuesday and we will see where it goes from there.  Hopefully these symptoms are due to withdrawals in some way.  But I am very scared - haven't slept much this week.  Of course, this fear has made quitting so far very easy.

I just hope I wasn't too late.  Obviously, I am going to stay quit - but jeesh, I guess I should be in a happier place right now, and I am scared for my life.

Sorry to be such a downer - hopefully someone has some (any) feedback on the symptoms I am having??

Thanks in Advance!

Greetings –

Thanks in advance,

iuchewie

Chewie ~ day 4,452

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24

Offline Magnum44

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
Good Morning everyone!

This is my first post.  Name is Mags, and I've been doing a tin of Cope every other day for the last past 30 years (I am 55).  I finally drew a line in the sand, and on September 24 (Monday), I went cold Turkey.  No more!  So, here we are on Day 7, and I am doing pretty darn well.  Except:

I have figured out if this is coincidental - if it is, it is an awefully mean joke on me - but since Monday I have noticed negative changes in my throat/jaw area.  Symptoms that I did not have while chewing.  A sore throat on one side of it that has been going on for 5 days or so.  Jaw pain - sinus pain.  Everything is on the right side of my face - even though I "held" my dip on the left side of my mouth.

Headed to the GP on Tuesday and we will see where it goes from there.  Hopefully these symptoms are due to withdrawals in some way.  But I am very scared - haven't slept much this week.  Of course, this fear has made quitting so far very easy.

I just hope I wasn't too late.  Obviously, I am going to stay quit - but jeesh, I guess I should be in a happier place right now, and I am scared for my life.

Sorry to be such a downer - hopefully someone has some (any) feedback on the symptoms I am having??

Thanks in Advance!

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 11:55:36 AM »
It's Saturday boy and girls - and it's a tremendous day to be a quitter!

There is quite literally no reason to NOT quit today. I don't care if you've got a big project you're working on, have to cut the grass, have to sit through a recital or three soccer games with your kids.

You can do ALL of those things dip free (I know... I've already done two soccer games and a basketball practice with my kids this morning).

You CAN be a quitter. What the hell are you waiting for?

Proud to be quit with you today!
Chewie

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 08:21:28 AM »
Look at today's milestones!

• kratebike - 9 years
  • seth - 3,000 days
  • ReWire - 1,000 days

For a full list, make sure to check out http://calendar.killthecan.org/

Congrats folks!

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »
HOF speeches?  How far back can be recovered?  Are the old ones gone forever?  Just wondering.  Thanks!

They are ALL available.

The old forum (on TapaTalk) is located at http://archive.killthecan.org/ - this will be maintained in read-only format - feel free to bring your speech (or intro) over.

Also, nearly all of them (I think) are also available on the main site: https://www.killthecan.org/category/hall-of-fame-speeches/

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 05:03:15 AM »
HOF speeches?  How far back can be recovered?  Are the old ones gone forever?  Just wondering.  Thanks!
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »
Some pretty outstanding milestones today!
  • JPAnthony - 3 years
  • 78craft - 1,000 days
  • Raynorris3 - 1,000 days
  • Cantoo - 1,000 days
  • harvestgirl - 2 years
  • Snoopy - 1 year

For a full list, make sure to check out http://calendar.killthecan.org/

Congrats folks!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:25:51 PM by chewie »