Author Topic: Going on 4 weeks.  (Read 816 times)

Offline mb289

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/17/2014
  • Interests: Motorcycling, camping and welding
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Going on 4 weeks.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
Good job 5bucsacan. I'm in May quit. Let me know if you have questions or need anything.

mb289

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Great decision to quit! Welcome to KTC. Post roll EDD and keep your word. You can do that. Remember that we quit for ourselves and we do it ODAAT! That is the path to success. I'm quit with you all day long.
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
Quote from: 5bucksacan
I feel the need to tell my story to someone. My own wife knows little about my struggle with smoking and snuff, certainly before we met 13 years ago. I'm 50 now. I started smoking at age 16 and continued until the age of 35. Almost 20 years. After, I cheated with cigarettes on occasion, but never habitually started as a pack a day smoker again.

At age 40 for whatever reason, I assume my history with tobacco, I picked up the can. Within a year I was buying a can a week. For the past 8 years, I've been a closet 2 can a week dipper. My wife knows of my struggle with dipping only during the past 4-5 years, and I've done my best to hide it before then and after, from her, my employer and most importantly my three sons.

Dipping for 10 years, I developed a terrible sore this January where I typically place the snuff in my mouth. I sweated over this sore for several weeks. It wouldn't heal and it looked terribly bad. Last week, not having dipped since the first week of February, the 5th, I finally wet to my dentist to get a professional opinion. He told me without having seen it prior that it appeared to be healing and it was not cancer. A second opinion has confirmed it is not life threatening. I was strongly advised that next time I won't be so lucky.

I cant tell you what has gone thru my mind over the past 4 weeks. Looking in my mouth daily has been difficult. I'm an older dad and my kids are young. The oldest of three is 11. Recently, when I look at them, I realize how stupid I've been. What I've risked. Every night I thought the worst and wondered how I was going to tell my wife. What impact was this going to have on my kids also stayed on mind. Wow. The relief I had when I found out I was going to be okay.

Today is day 27 for me. And as part of my plan to quit I know that I need to keep coming back to this site for reinforcement. It does help. I need to keep reminding myself of what I've risked. It's just not worth it.
5bucks, stay close to KTC and post roll every day. Get with May 2014, that's your quit group. Make some friends, get some accountability.

I quit with you today. Good job on making it this far. KTC will help you the rest of the way if you commit to posting every single day. One day at a time.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Knockout
Welcome 5bucks,

First off, I congratulate you on making the move to quit. It's unfortunate that it usually takes a scare to bring us here, but it sure beats going back to the can.

Here at KTC we post a roll call, every day. If you have experience "stopping" nicotine usage, you know how easy it is to fall right back into addiciton. That's why we make a promise to ourselves and the others here that we will not use. We preach accountability, because when push comes to shove, you need a variety of firepower against nicotine when the bad craves hit.

In the top left corner click on "Welcome Center", this will get you started. I invite you to join in our method and free yourself for good.

-KO
There is a lot of support here but you have got to build the relationships by being active. I'm a little older than you and I can tell you that memory of the sores and the fear will fade and in a weak moment, like a thief in the night, nicotine will become part of your life again if you aren't extremely aggressive. Post up daily in the May 2014 group and give help as well as receiving it.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline rman85

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
5bucksacan-
Congrats on your decision to quit! I see you haven't posted roll with the Project Mayhem, May group. That is your quit group, you should start posting roll with those guys every day and make your commitment not to use nicotine for that day. The guys in your group will be able to send lots of support your way. You won't feel like your going thru it on your own. Hit up the welcome center if you havent already. I quit with you today

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Hey 5bucks welcome. And good job so far. You can stay away from the addiction from now on, using this sites method. You are I are similar in age, start time, family age, tendency to "ninja dip". You'll find many similarities with many people here. And, more importantly, you'll find accountability to others and support, the two missing essential ingredients for us former ninja dippers and ninja quitters.

The things that have helped me most so far are (1) learning as much as I can about addiction, and (2) building out a big and strong network here among other quitters who get the job done. This addiction really is something terrible and evil, and it's no wonder it's so hard to kick once you understand how it works it the brain chemistry. But you can kick it and stay clean with this method here. So jump in with both feet. The more you put in, the more you get out.

Glad to be quitting with you.
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline Knockout

• Quitter
  • Interests: EDM, Tattoos, Piercings, Rock Climbing, Football (mostly NFL), concerts, the beach.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Welcome 5bucks,

First off, I congratulate you on making the move to quit. It's unfortunate that it usually takes a scare to bring us here, but it sure beats going back to the can.

Here at KTC we post a roll call, every day. If you have experience "stopping" nicotine usage, you know how easy it is to fall right back into addiciton. That's why we make a promise to ourselves and the others here that we will not use. We preach accountability, because when push comes to shove, you need a variety of firepower against nicotine when the bad craves hit.

In the top left corner click on "Welcome Center", this will get you started. I invite you to join in our method and free yourself for good.

-KO
Obsessed with the ghey

QD 01/10/14

Offline Quitforsoj

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
Congrats on your Quit... Post Roll each day .. it does help keep you accoutable...

Offline 5bucksacan

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I feel the need to tell my story to someone. My own wife knows little about my struggle with smoking and snuff, certainly before we met 13 years ago. I'm 50 now. I started smoking at age 16 and continued until the age of 35. Almost 20 years. After, I cheated with cigarettes on occasion, but never habitually started as a pack a day smoker again.

At age 40 for whatever reason, I assume my history with tobacco, I picked up the can. Within a year I was buying a can a week. For the past 8 years, I've been a closet 2 can a week dipper. My wife knows of my struggle with dipping only during the past 4-5 years, and I've done my best to hide it before then and after, from her, my employer and most importantly my three sons.

Dipping for 10 years, I developed a terrible sore this January where I typically place the snuff in my mouth. I sweated over this sore for several weeks. It wouldn't heal and it looked terribly bad. Last week, not having dipped since the first week of February, the 5th, I finally wet to my dentist to get a professional opinion. He told me without having seen it prior that it appeared to be healing and it was not cancer. A second opinion has confirmed it is not life threatening. I was strongly advised that next time I won't be so lucky.

I cant tell you what has gone thru my mind over the past 4 weeks. Looking in my mouth daily has been difficult. I'm an older dad and my kids are young. The oldest of three is 11. Recently, when I look at them, I realize how stupid I've been. What I've risked. Every night I thought the worst and wondered how I was going to tell my wife. What impact was this going to have on my kids also stayed on mind. Wow. The relief I had when I found out I was going to be okay.

Today is day 27 for me. And as part of my plan to quit I know that I need to keep coming back to this site for reinforcement. It does help. I need to keep reminding myself of what I've risked. It's just not worth it.

Offline 5bucksacan

Going on 4 weeks.
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »