Author Topic: Today I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again. (A journey through one man's recovery)  (Read 68568 times)

Offline JGlav

• Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quit Date: 9/05/15
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Today, I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Quote from: newtexican
Quote from: KingNothing
Quote from: AppleJack
Quote from: KKLJINC
Congrats Wild, on the 100 days, I know that first floor is a lot of work. Thanks for posting with June of 13 everyday, it's nice to see your progression. Celebrate you deserve it.

KK
Grats on that 100, man!
Congrats Irish on that first floor. You're a leader and it shows. Keep it up. 'oh yeah'
You sir have done well for yourself and for several in the group. Congrats and we all appreciate your support through our individual quits.
I appreciate you taking the time to show me the ropes and welcoming me into the group.
#Junited Hall of Famer and BAQ
Have to come in and congratulate an Irishman.

Offline newtexican

• Quitter
  • Interests: Electrical and instrumentation technician
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
Quote from: KingNothing
Congrats Wild, on the 100 days, I know that first floor is a lot of work. Thanks for posting with June of 13 everyday, it's nice to see your progression. Celebrate you deserve it.

KK
Grats on that 100, man!
Congrats Irish on that first floor. You're a leader and it shows. Keep it up. 'oh yeah'
You sir have done well for yourself and for several in the group. Congrats and we all appreciate your support through our individual quits.
I appreciate you taking the time to show me the ropes and welcoming me into the group.
#Junited Hall of Famer and BAQ

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »

KK
Grats on that 100, man!
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »

KK
Grats on that 100, man!
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline kkljinc

• Quitter
  • Interests: I love to workout, RUN, and Weights. Hunter and a Fisherman. Golf is my passion.Wife and kids keep me busy.
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »

KK

Offline paul-san

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
Quote from: JB65
Quote from: FMBM707
Quote from: wildirish317
100 Days In - Now What?

This is a rendition of my HOF speech, which will fade into history. My intro, however, can be bumped to the top of the list at any time.

After 100 days, we are supposed to have the tools it takes to remain quit. What are these tools? They are different for every quitter. Basically, the habits you've picked up over the past 100 days to help you remain quit are your tools to remain quit. These are mine:

Tool #1: The Promise
For the past 100 days, the first thing I do after getting dressed is post my promise, to myself and to the world of KTC, that I will remain quit today. This is huge, and probably enough to help maintain my quit.

Tool #2: The Accountability and Brotherhood
Should I happen to miss roll, to miss my promise, I expect quite a few people to text me to see if I'm okay. Even Mrs. Irish will occasionally ask me if I've posted roll today. People other than me expect me to do this every day. I have to live up to it.

Tool #3: New Quitters
You never want to get too far removed from the suck, the fog, and the funk. You don't ever want to experience these things first hand again. The Law of Addiction maintains that you will experience them if you cave. By supporting and keeping up with new quitters, you can have a constant reminder of how bad the first 100 days are, and continual reinforcement of your decision to remain quit.

Tool #4: KTC Wildcard
Sometimes we just need some type of diversion to get through the next few minutes. I gravitate toward "One Word Post" and "This or That", but there are dozens of threads in this section to occupy your mind.

Of course, there are hundreds of other tools available at KTC to use to remain quit, but these are the four that I will continue to use, the tools that have become my habits. We are creatures of habit. In order to remain quit, we must develop daily habits that make it easier not to use nicotine. The only way to stay quit is to stay quit.

I want to thank everyone that I've encountered on this site. Every encounter has been special, and I don't want to diminish one by naming another, and it will take more than the next 100 days to list and describe them all. That being said, let's quit on!
Congrats on 100 and hitting the HOF wildirish!
'oh yeah'
WildIrish, Big time Congrats in reaching 100 and the HOF. You're a true inspiration with what you've done with you quit and how you share your experience with the rest of us here. Fine footsteps to follow! Enjoy the milestone, great achievement and we'll see ya at roll!

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Quote from: FMBM707
100 Days In - Now What?

This is a rendition of my HOF speech, which will fade into history. My intro, however, can be bumped to the top of the list at any time.

After 100 days, we are supposed to have the tools it takes to remain quit. What are these tools? They are different for every quitter. Basically, the habits you've picked up over the past 100 days to help you remain quit are your tools to remain quit. These are mine:

For the past 100 days, the first thing I do after getting dressed is post my promise, to myself and to the world of KTC, that I will remain quit today. This is huge, and probably enough to help maintain my quit.

Should I happen to miss roll, to miss my promise, I expect quite a few people to text me to see if I'm okay. Even Mrs. Irish will occasionally ask me if I've posted roll today. People other than me expect me to do this every day. I have to live up to it.

You never want to get too far removed from the suck, the fog, and the funk. You don't ever want to experience these things first hand again. The Law of Addiction maintains that you will experience them if you cave. By supporting and keeping up with new quitters, you can have a constant reminder of how bad the first 100 days are, and continual reinforcement of your decision to remain quit.

Sometimes we just need some type of diversion to get through the next few minutes. I gravitate toward "One Word Post" and "This or That", but there are dozens of threads in this section to occupy your mind.

Of course, there are hundreds of other tools available at KTC to use to remain quit, but these are the four that I will continue to use, the tools that have become my habits. We are creatures of habit. In order to remain quit, we must develop daily habits that make it easier not to use nicotine. The only way to stay quit is to stay quit.

I want to thank everyone that I've encountered on this site. Every encounter has been special, and I don't want to diminish one by naming another, and it will take more than the next 100 days to list and describe them all. That being said, let's quit on!
'oh yeah'

Offline FMBM707

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-05-06
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
100 Days In - Now What?

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
100 Days In - Now What?

“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Online Mike1966

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 4/18/2016
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
The Symptoms of Post Acute Withdrawal

Why am I doing this? Why am I posting shit on a random thread buried so deep in a random website that nobody other than myself will find it, much less read it? I used to think I was helping other people like me. Fock that. There are no other people like me, and everything I post on this thread is old news. This website is about 11 years old, and there have been 12 groups go through this process in each of the 11 years, so this path has been traveled at least 132 times. I don't have anything new to add.

I guess, like my good friend Kubiackalpha stated earlier today, "Writing is therapeutic." So I'm finished writing for a moment. Let me just post some juicy "old news" from the site I linked above.

The most common post-acute withdrawal symptoms are:
  • Mood swings
  • Anxiety
  • Irritability
  • Tiredness
  • Variable energy
  • Low enthusiasm
  • Variable concentration
  • Disturbed sleep
Post-acute withdrawal feels like a rollercoaster of symptoms. In the beginning, your symptoms will change minute to minute and hour to hour. Later as you recover further they will disappear for a few weeks or months only to return again. As you continue to recover the good stretches will get longer and longer. But the bad periods of post-acute withdrawal can be just as intense and last just as long.

Each post-acute withdrawal episode usually last for a few days. Once you've been in recovery for a while, you will find that each post-acute withdrawal episode usually lasts for a few days. There is no obvious trigger for most episodes. You will wake up one day feeling irritable and have low energy. If you hang on for just a few days, it will lift just as quickly as it started. After a while you'll develop confidence that you can get through post-acute withdrawal, because you'll know that each episode is time limited.

Post-acute withdrawal usually lasts for 2 years. This is one of the most important things you need to remember. If you're up for the challenge you can get though this. But if you think that post-acute withdrawal will only last for a few months, then you'll get caught off guard, and when you're disappointed you're more likely to relapse. (Reference: www.AddictionsAndRecovery.org)

Wait, wat??? TWO FOCKING YEARS?!?!?

I don't have two years. I can only do this for today. I can only do this for myself. Bless you Kubiackalpha, I'm depressed too.

Again, old hat, old news to most of you. I would spare you, and put it somewhere else, but you don't have to read it.

I remember when I was a kid, the first time I realized that the sun didn't actually land on that field way over there. Great focking discovery for me!! Everyone else around me already knew this. This is how I feel on this site.

Hopefully, I'll look back at this post TWO FOCKING YEARS from now and think "My God, why did I post that shite?"
Good stuff bro. I hadn't seen It before. It's good to know there's light at at the end of the tunnel. Even if if it is 2 years down the road. I've made it 6 to 9 months a few times on my own over the last 30 years, only to get hit with a "post acute withdrawal episode" and relapsed each time. Maybe this post will help next time. I'm going to bookmark it.
Just one and you will be back where you started.
And where you started was desperately wishing
you were where you are right now.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2035
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
Quote from: Rawls
Quote from: kubiackalpha
Fences

Day 79

I hate fences! Always have, always will. I'm too old to climb the damn things any more.
? Metaphorical fences?
Yeah, sort of. I've been asked (or told) to leave a couple of different "months" now. Funny how people circle the wagons. We've even done it with #Junited, but that was more in defense against Swilderbeast and his vileness. I don't know that we've ever asked or demanded someone from another month stop contributing.

I'm okay with it. Saddened, but okay. Like I said, this is a well traveled road. People will continue to quit (and cave) whether I contribute or not. It was fun while it lasted though. I've leaned heavy on this site to get me through this 80 day period. It's time that I learn to function in society with less reliance.

So, I'm sticking to June 2016 for any comments I may have about quitting, addiction, or recovery. I'll still post roll with other groups though. Especially the older ones. I think they appreciate the company.
Old schoolers know what is up and the young ones dont. The younger groups probably feel a bit invaded for whatever reason. Acceptance sucks. Once mastered serenity shal come. Besides. You got the Prof here to suggest you also check out the term powerlessness.
Haha. It's not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit (says the Lord).
Amen...
Good stuff in here Wild.
Appreciate your help.
I Quit with you today.
Rawls 545
Thanks Rawls. I've been reading your intro, and found this. It's nice to know I'll get through this, just like everyone else has.
You, my friend, are welcome any time, anywhere, whomever doesn't welcome you, will be in deficet.
The help and knowledge you bring is only beneficial.
Thank you.
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Quote from: Rawls
Fences

Day 79

I hate fences! Always have, always will. I'm too old to climb the damn things any more.
? Metaphorical fences?
Yeah, sort of. I've been asked (or told) to leave a couple of different "months" now. Funny how people circle the wagons. We've even done it with #Junited, but that was more in defense against Swilderbeast and his vileness. I don't know that we've ever asked or demanded someone from another month stop contributing.

I'm okay with it. Saddened, but okay. Like I said, this is a well traveled road. People will continue to quit (and cave) whether I contribute or not. It was fun while it lasted though. I've leaned heavy on this site to get me through this 80 day period. It's time that I learn to function in society with less reliance.

So, I'm sticking to June 2016 for any comments I may have about quitting, addiction, or recovery. I'll still post roll with other groups though. Especially the older ones. I think they appreciate the company.
Old schoolers know what is up and the young ones dont. The younger groups probably feel a bit invaded for whatever reason. Acceptance sucks. Once mastered serenity shal come. Besides. You got the Prof here to suggest you also check out the term powerlessness.
Amen...
Good stuff in here Wild.
Appreciate your help.
I Quit with you today.
Rawls 545
Thanks Rawls. I've been reading your intro, and found this. It's nice to know I'll get through this, just like everyone else has.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
Fences

Day 79

? Metaphorical fences?

Amen...
Good stuff in here Wild.
Appreciate your help.
I Quit with you today.
Rawls 545
I believe.....

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
Fences

Day 79

? Metaphorical fences?

Offline kubiackalpha

• Quitter
  • Interests: Boobs, Butts (on females)....is there anything else that would be of interest? I can't think of any.
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Fences

Day 79

? Metaphorical fences?