Author Topic: Today I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again. (A journey through one man's recovery)  (Read 65689 times)

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Today, I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
Quote from: pab1964
Quote from: overitinmt
Quote from: wildirish317
Thanks guys! It's my birthday, and I haven't even stopped by my intro thread. That's pretty weak.

I'm amped though. My UK Wildcats are playing their first game in this years NCAA tournament. They fought their way through the SEC tournament and came out victorious. I think they'll make it to the final four this year.

On the quit front, I'm at day 22, and it's not too bad, but I don't feel "normal". I don't remember what normal feels like. This is my first nicotine free birthday in 38 years, give or take. I'm still dealing with oral fixation thing. It's a mind game now. I'm good today. That's all that matters.
I wonder what normal will feel like too... After having quit for as long as I did in the past, I don't remember what it's like. I am looking forward to this stage being done. 11 days in, and I am quit today. Keep on keeping on Irish!
I'm 449 days free and a whole calm of life has came over me after 38 years dipping. I guess that's normal and I'm loving every second of it and will never take it for granted because we are all one stupid ass mistake away from a day one! Life is good!
that badass quitter! ^^^^ he helps so many, you know what?
That is a platform for a very, very strong quit.
Take your eyes off yourself. Help someone else, it will strengthen both of your quits.

3 weeks is huge Irish!

You'll be tested over and over, but stay connected and reach out at all times.
Don't worry about the oral fixation. That will diminish as your quit lengthens.
Do what it takes. Stay strong. Keep doing what you are doing.
What an awesome read. here is another slanted/rude/unusual way to look at it....... You have been a nicotine slave for 30+ years and YOU KNOW WHAT THAT FEELS LIKE. Hell, let's live another 30 without it and see what that life is like. Experience new things, be crazy about it. Hell, yell to people about it if you need too. Just do whatever comes to ya and enjoy the ride. 'Remshot'

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2034
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Quote from: pab1964
Thanks guys! It's my birthday, and I haven't even stopped by my intro thread. That's pretty weak.

I'm amped though. My UK Wildcats are playing their first game in this years NCAA tournament. They fought their way through the SEC tournament and came out victorious. I think they'll make it to the final four this year.

On the quit front, I'm at day 22, and it's not too bad, but I don't feel "normal". I don't remember what normal feels like. This is my first nicotine free birthday in 38 years, give or take. I'm still dealing with oral fixation thing. It's a mind game now. I'm good today. That's all that matters.
I wonder what normal will feel like too... After having quit for as long as I did in the past, I don't remember what it's like. I am looking forward to this stage being done. 11 days in, and I am quit today. Keep on keeping on Irish!
I'm 449 days free and a whole calm of life has came over me after 38 years dipping. I guess that's normal and I'm loving every second of it and will never take it for granted because we are all one stupid ass mistake away from a day one! Life is good!
that badass quitter! ^^^^ he helps so many, you know what?
That is a platform for a very, very strong quit.
Take your eyes off yourself. Help someone else, it will strengthen both of your quits.

3 weeks is huge Irish!

You'll be tested over and over, but stay connected and reach out at all times.
Don't worry about the oral fixation. That will diminish as your quit lengthens.
Do what it takes. Stay strong. Keep doing what you are doing.
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »

Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline overitinmt

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-03-09
  • Interests: Flyfishing trout, steelhead & salmon, bowhunting elk and deer, backpacking + flyfishing high mountain lakes, wood-working & art
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
Quote from: danojeno
I noted the avatar and though I'm much more of a BMW fan than a basketball fan, I'll let this one slide.
That's our girl, Ashley Judd, in a pose she did for the UK Hockey team calendar a few years ago. I drag it out sometimes in March when I need inspiration.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline danojeno

• Quit Date March 2, 2015
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Irish, it's been inspiring to watch your progress and involvement. Keep digging that quit hole you spoke of. I noted the avatar and though I'm much more of a BMW fan than a basketball fan, I'll let this one slide.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »

“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
Happy Birthday! 'Sing and Drink' 'irish'
Wild Irish birthday on St Patrick's day....that definitely deserves some recognition. I like what I've seen you doing on this site...Keep it up.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2034
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
Happy Birthday! 'Sing and Drink' 'irish'
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Quote from: mogul
Hey Irish, your intro is a good read. I've been quit for 800+ days now and you know I'm still an addict. very liberating words and a feeling of "I can let perfect go". Know what I mean? I don't need to impress anyone but me and I know that today I didn't go to the c-store, buy some cope, and be disappointed in who I am. I'm impressed. You should be too. I quit with ya.

Mogul
Thanks Mogul. Every freakin' day I learn something new about my addiction. I quit with you today.

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »
Hey Irish, your intro is a good read. I've been quit for 800+ days now and you know I'm still an addict. very liberating words and a feeling of "I can let perfect go". Know what I mean? I don't need to impress anyone but me and I know that today I didn't go to the c-store, buy some cope, and be disappointed in who I am. I'm impressed. You should be too. I quit with ya.

Mogul

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Quote from: ChristopherJ
Quote from: Bucky
Okay, day #13 quit. The suck is gone, and the mind games are here. If I see anything round out of the corner of my eye, it's a can of cope. As I type this, there's a focking rubber band just in the corner of my vision. It becomes a can of Copenhagen. They said there'd be days like this.

A couple of observations I've made in this short journey:

The first one is that I'm an addict. This realization hit me during the suck, and it hit hard. I came to this site to quit, but I wasn't an addict. I wasn't addicted to nicotine, no way. I just had a strong habit that I needed to break. Now I'm a focking addict. I really hate that about myself, but I have to learn to live with it. I can't change the color of my skin, and I can't get rid of this addiction.

The second one is that I need you, all of you. I figured I could just come and post roll every day for 100 days, and then leave. I didn't need other people's phone numbers, I'm not going to cave, I'm not going to need anyone. Hah! If you're serious about your quit (and I am), then you need your brothers for support. At some point, I'm going to reach out for help. I have peoples' digits. I also reach out to others in my group that may need help. I know how hard this is for me. It's just as hard for everyone else.

Another thing I've learned is that you have to be serious to quit. That's kind of a given, once you realize you're an addict. Addiction is serious stuff.

I've also dug myself a pretty deep "quit hole". I've expressed my $.02 on a lot of topics, and become an administrator for the accountability spreadsheet. If I cave, not only will I be breaking a promise to me and all of you, I will be the biggest hypocrite this site has ever seen.

Quit on, brothers and sisters, quit on!
Good understanding and good observations right here man. You will win. Reach out (PM) if you ever doubt it, but you are on your way to Freedom.
Very well put and a solid perspective on the caver questions. Quit on Irish.
You a little rough around the collars and you don't mind kicking a little ass, I like you! Stay strong and keep on giving back! Quit on! One of them ole guys!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline ChristopherJ

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: Sept 17, 2014
  • Interests: Travel, music, sports, art,
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
Quote from: Bucky
Okay, day #13 quit. The suck is gone, and the mind games are here. If I see anything round out of the corner of my eye, it's a can of cope. As I type this, there's a focking rubber band just in the corner of my vision. It becomes a can of Copenhagen. They said there'd be days like this.

The first one is that I'm an addict. This realization hit me during the suck, and it hit hard. I came to this site to quit, but I wasn't an addict. I wasn't addicted to nicotine, no way. I just had a strong habit that I needed to break. Now I'm a focking addict. I really hate that about myself, but I have to learn to live with it. I can't change the color of my skin, and I can't get rid of this addiction.

The second one is that I need you, all of you. I figured I could just come and post roll every day for 100 days, and then leave. I didn't need other people's phone numbers, I'm not going to cave, I'm not going to need anyone. Hah! If you're serious about your quit (and I am), then you need your brothers for support. At some point, I'm going to reach out for help. I have peoples' digits. I also reach out to others in my group that may need help. I know how hard this is for me. It's just as hard for everyone else.

Another thing I've learned is that you have to be serious to quit. That's kind of a given, once you realize you're an addict. Addiction is serious stuff.

I've also dug myself a pretty deep "quit hole". I've expressed my $.02 on a lot of topics, and become an administrator for the accountability spreadsheet. If I cave, not only will I be breaking a promise to me and all of you, I will be the biggest hypocrite this site has ever seen.

Good understanding and good observations right here man. You will win. Reach out (PM) if you ever doubt it, but you are on your way to Freedom.
Very well put and a solid perspective on the caver questions. Quit on Irish.
Don't be afraid.  You are not alone.

Offline Bucky

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-04-29
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Day 16. Poof!