Author Topic: I'm Back. I'm Dumb.  (Read 73078 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
Re: I'm Back. I'm Dumb.
« Reply #586 on: October 06, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/people-lodging-nicotine-pouches-buttholes-161337601.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACAYvM3kq2bLve51gwzTUgkax_qwLLhsRMbwqIizR2aB2PXxXRo1CaJAjM8aE4NCKvW6Q5IptfwvibzIYHPtexGnAZ6L0pXZQz1bnn_Ue3ooSI5zgkr9O2d4g9oWNNSc2X0IkFmeEbAt14G1-gOeE-k6RJQtpcA7wGQrv0L4LI3I

Young people in Scandinavia are placing nicotine pouches, meant for inside the upper lip, in their buttholes and foreskins to see if they feel its effects.

Some users say their nicotine cravings disappeared, while other say they only feel burning sensations and get rashes and swelling.

:o

Wonder how long it will be before it's called "harm reduction" and a "viable quitting method" by nicotine users.

I am so glad to be quit.

What the actual fuck!
I'm guessing since half of you reading this are intrigued, shoving nicotine up your ass in any form will be considered a cave. 

However, have a penchant for shoving things up your ass in general will get you @wastepanel digits.
Thank-you for that clarification.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline BluManChew

• Quit Pro
    • [b]The Omega Moment - 365 Days Later
  • Quit Date: October 8, 2017
  • Likes Given: 163
« Reply #585 on: October 05, 2021, 05:47:16 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/people-lodging-nicotine-pouches-buttholes-161337601.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACAYvM3kq2bLve51gwzTUgkax_qwLLhsRMbwqIizR2aB2PXxXRo1CaJAjM8aE4NCKvW6Q5IptfwvibzIYHPtexGnAZ6L0pXZQz1bnn_Ue3ooSI5zgkr9O2d4g9oWNNSc2X0IkFmeEbAt14G1-gOeE-k6RJQtpcA7wGQrv0L4LI3I

Young people in Scandinavia are placing nicotine pouches, meant for inside the upper lip, in their buttholes and foreskins to see if they feel its effects.

Some users say their nicotine cravings disappeared, while other say they only feel burning sensations and get rashes and swelling.

Wonder how long it will be before it's called "harm reduction" and a "viable quitting method" by nicotine users.

I am so glad to be quit.

What the actual fuck!
I'm guessing since half of you reading this are intrigued, shoving nicotine up your ass in any form will be considered a cave. 

However, have a penchant for shoving things up your ass in general will get you @wastepanel digits.

Offline Aquaman43

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Bad Wolf - July 2021
  • Interests: SCUBA, but my ears are blown, martial arts, travel with my wife.
  • Likes Given: 490
« Reply #584 on: September 30, 2021, 09:32:50 AM »

I am so glad to be quit.

What the actual fuck!
"Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have a habit of making excuses.” ~ George Washington Carver

”Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.” ~ Robert Allen

"Stay Strapped or get Clapped" ~ George Washington

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • LTBE- Quittin since 12/30/20
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
  • Likes Given: 1868
« Reply #583 on: September 24, 2021, 08:43:30 AM »

I am so glad to be quit.
hey frank hows your day? ... One Sec. * opens tin, drops trout, and slides a pouch into arse* Its going good thanks for asking bill.
I may not be a smart man, but I know what quit is! -Quitest Gump-
     -Don't plan for the future, Quit for today!-
"The way to get started is to (quit) talking and begin doing." Walt Disney
~you cant plan your quit you just have to do it, both feet free fall.~
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #582 on: September 23, 2021, 04:38:57 PM »

I am so glad to be quit. 
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
« Reply #581 on: April 26, 2021, 12:31:31 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Thanks, software, for breaking my train of thought and reminding me that I have I haven't posted anything to my intro since 2019...

When I quit in 2011, I knew thought that this might be final quit.  I'm still quit.  I'm still happy about it.  I have never regretted it.

Be fucking quit. 
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #580 on: October 19, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
Love this brother, and am also a huge King fan. Thanx for all you do and especially for making that choice every day for over 3000 days
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
« Reply #579 on: October 18, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
“It was so simple, but it was a revelation: what you did for yourself was what gave you the power.”
― Stephen King, The Institute

It's been a while since I've sat down to read a book (The last one was the Birdbox and it was a few afternoons out on the porch and a very simple read.).  I've always loved Stephen King because he just has a way of taking a very difficult to articulate moment and break it down with just a few words.  Hell, anybody that knows me knows that I'm a sucker for good quotes.

What I love about KTC is the comradery  that the boards bring.  From day 1, I had people invested in my quit and cared if I showed up.  Hell, at first, I was just a name that people coldly looked for.  They understood "Wastepanel wants to be quit" and said "I can at least click the keys on my keyboard for a moment.  If he shows up, maybe I had something to do with his decision to.".   As I grew in my quit, I made friends that made it impossible for me to walk away from this board.  I wanted to be here for them and being quit was a pleasant bonus to our friendships.  I started helping out others because it made me feel good to see them stay quit because I used the word "fuck" in an effective manner to their quit.

It's what I did for myself that gave me quit power.  I chose to be here.  I chose to be social.  I chose to help others.  I didn't do it because somebody said that was the requirements of being here or that I "should be a leader".  I did it because I felt the power building as I made each of these decisions.  I'm over 3000 days quit now and I no longer have to make extraordinary decisions to stay quit (I live quit now so the habit has established itself), but I still have to decide every time that fleeting thought crosses my head.  I decide every morning to post roll to post roll.

What I did for myself is what gives me the power I have today.  What the KTC is is a battery that fuels my quit and keeps me sharp.

We can do this.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:08:36 AM by wastepanel »

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
« Reply #578 on: September 16, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »
We just built a house.

It was fucking stressful and I'm glad it's fucking done.  I love everything about it right now (even though there are a couple of projects that still need to be done).  It's much bigger than our old home.  It sits right on the edge of a field with a beautiful view and I have a deck that looks over the woods.

We had to take out a few trees to get the house where we wanted it and that meant I got to buy a maul and have some fun chopping wood.  I haven't had any lawn work at all this summer but I know it will be heavy next year.  I've kept my sanity and active by chopping firewood for our fireplace this winter.  In fact, that's how I spent the weekend where I hit 3,000 days quit.

Splitting firewood is an arduous, monotonous, and tiring task.  The wood piles aren't just sitting close to where I want to split and stack.  They are a good distance away and I have to load up my wheel barrel, roll it over, and split from there.  I've been doing it all summer and have quite the pile built and I'm about ready to tarp it for when the weather changes.

Of course, I had to try to find deeper meaning to the task I was completed...

Quitting is a lot like splitting firewood for the winter.   Quit is easy when you're inspired to be quit just like finding firewood when it's dry, warm, and you're just looking for campfire wood for you and some buddies.  The worst case scenario is that you go out and spend $5 on a bundle at the gas station.  When the weather changes, I just can't wander out looking for good dry wood for my fireplace.  It will be all snow covered.  It won't be usable.  Nope.  I have to get it now.  I have to prep it now.  I have to have a plan or my beautiful fireplace will go unused all winter.

We've often heard that staying active at KTC makes us quit, but why?  Why is texting, posting, or just interacting with others in our quit so inspirational to us?  Well, it's because every roll call post, every post talking about our quit, every text to another quitter, is another log split and put on the rack for the winter.  We have a lot of fun with each other here and we're all in the same boat when it comes to quit.  It's great to work along side some great quitters and makes our quits easier each day.

I have a rack of firewood now that I'm probably not going to go through this winter, but who the hell knows really?  We never know what the future holds and my shoulder might go out.  I may never be able to swing a maul again.  I'd rather have that wood lying around for me to use rather than just assuming that it will be there.  That's how I've always treated my quit as well.  There's times I have to be actively working on gathering firewood, but (3000 days in) there's a lot of time spent using the wood that I've gathered.

In the end, this quit is mine.  I wouldn't be here without this place and I wouldn't have the tools to stack up the firewood for winters if it wasn't for KTC.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
Re: I'm back
« Reply #577 on: July 01, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
The Response Ability of being a quitter

7 years is a long time to be quit but it is just a drop in the bucket to what my quit can be.

Every addict has the ability to quit. Making the decision and taking the initial steps is a special occasion but it shouldn't be what defines a quit. It is the first of many decisions to be quit (and for that, it can be celebrated). I took my plunge in my quit on June 29, 2011. I wandered into chat with a plug still in, a monkey on my back, and decision that I was scared to make. While I didn't have the confidence in my ability to be quit and happy, wiser quitters here told me that I did. I had the ability to be quit.

What was undetermined was whether I had the response ability to be quit.

I tried this program before. I posted for over 100 days and just knew I was better on my own. I even lasted longer than most do without the site: over 3 years. I was dealt some blows in that time period and came out fine until I didn't. I retained a lot of what I learned until I didn't. You see, everybody has the ability to be quit. However, quitters have the response ability to stay. Quitters can take life's shit moments and sail through them without a weed fix. Quitters can look at themselves with truth and realize that we are flawed creatures. Quitters actively plan to be quit.

If anybody asks what I've learned in my 7 years quit, it's always the same:

(1) Post roll. Everything else is extra.

(2) Make friends. If somebody cares whether you are quit or not, it will help your quit.

(3) Lean when you need to. If you are struggling, that's ok. Talk to somebody here.

(4) Lead when you can. If you can help, do it. It will strengthen your quit.

(5) There is a difference between listening and obeying. Always listen to suggestions from other quitters but don't run yourself ragged trying to please everybody.

(6) Be a good friend. Don't chastise people and expect them to grovel to you. Be their friend and walk with them.

(7) Life's problems are not made better with that weed. Reintroducing it just makes life worse.

(8) Be yourself. Don't be an avatar or a persona. At the end of the day, this quit is for you (not a fictional character you want to be).

(9) Hard truths can be brutal. Insults only tear down quits. Don't mistake insults for hard truths (whether you are receiving or dishing out).

(10) We can do this together.

I've seen many people pass through these halls. All of us have had the ability to be quit. Only a select few of us that taken the responsibility of being quit. Quitting is work and the ability to respond to life without giving in to our wants. Don't think that making the decision means you've reach the finish line. I'm in year 7 and I'm just getting started. We'll get there together and we're going to do this one step at a time.

Let's fucking do this.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2034
« Reply #576 on: June 29, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »
Congrats on 7 years quit!
And thank you for monitoring these halls!
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #575 on: March 27, 2018, 04:54:00 AM »
Quote from: wastepanel
TLDR: Burn the boats. You won't regret it. Don't worry about the sacrifices. Sacrifices aren't loss. Sacrifices are what we give to get what we want.

What are you willing to do to quit or stay quit? What kind of person do you want to be in this quit: somebody willing to accept quit as a pleasant surprise or somebody willing to sacrifice time, sweat, and tears to be quit? Which one do you think will be more successful?

I've surrounded myself with people here at ktc that are willing to fight next to me for a common goal: Being quit. Everything else is noise and a distraction from my quit.

We can do this.
Quote from: Andy
Commitment is the foundation of success. Not a single football game has ever been won without it. Commitment has been involved in every skyscraper that has ever grown beyond the first floor. Businesses, marriages, and schoolwork all depend on the quality of commitment for their success. By focusing on that one important component, commitment, we can plan our future.

Deciding just how much we really want to achieve our goals is obviously the first critical step. It has been proven time and time again by our own experiences that we get out of something only what we put into it. We can accomplish extraordinary things only when we have planned to accomplish extraordinary things. And we alone can determine how hard we will work, how much we will invest, how late we will stay up, how many miles we will drive, and how much we are willing to endure to realize those extraordinary things. Our goals, our dreams, are a reality already awaiting our arrival. It is only when we claim a successful future that it begins to move toward us. But first let's examine the past, because by studying yesterday's challenges, we can more ably ensure tomorrow's success.

In February 1519, Hernando Cortez set sail on the final leg of a voyage that was to take him from Cuba, a stopover, to the shores of the Yucatan. He commanded 11 ships, with more than 500 soldiers, 100 sailors, and 16 horses, bound for Mexico to take the world's richest treasure. The precious jewels, gold, silver, and sculptures sheltered on this limestone peninsula had been hoarded by the same army for 600 years.

The quest for these riches began several years before in Spain. Cortez, already a wealthy man, had heard about the treasure. For centuries people had tried to take it, to no avail. But ambitious Cortez knew that he could take it—if he had the right kind of help. He decided to get more people involved. He wanted to build an army that could accomplish something that one man could not. So Cortez began to travel around Spain to talk to people and build a dream in them. Since he was already rich and successful in their eyes, as he told them of the bountiful treasure that was theirs for the taking, they believed him.

Oh, other people had tried, he told them. Columbus, Vasquez, DeSoto, Vespucci-all had gone to Mexico seeking the fortune. And all were ordinary people, just like those Cortez was trying to persuade.

"They are just like us," he said to his listeners. "If they can do it, we can! And we will succeed!" This got them excited.

"Let's do it!" they agreed after Cortez's persuasive speech.

Of course, a few said, "I don't really believe there's treasure there," or "I don't think it'll work. But the majority of the people enthusiastically embraced the idea, and before long, Cortez's ships were in place. The soldiers were in position, the sailors were prepared, and the horses were aboard. And together they set sail for Mexico and the richest treasure in the world.

But once out on the ocean, it didn't take long for Cortez to realize he had a problem. Some who were excited before the journey, had now turned into whiners. There are always whiners.

Cries of "I shouldn't have come," "This isn't what I thought it was," and "I didn't know we were going to have to work this hard," began to circulate among the people. Yet Cortez persisted, in spite of them, and made it to Cuba, where he took on water, food, and supplies. After resting his men and letting the quitters get off the ship, he began the final leg of the journey, formulating an idea that had never been used before. He created a system to motivate and train his soldiers and sailors that was unheard of in the history of the military. When they landed on the shores of the Yucatan, Cortez began training, coaching, stoking them, even. He would hold "seminars" in the afternoon and "pep-rallies" at night. They were reminded constantly of all that they were about to accomplish. Cortez painted a panoramic picture of the magnificent treasure that would soon be theirs. And as they marched up and down the beach, honing their skills of warfare, they were told, "This is just one of the beautiful beaches we'll be able to walk along when we get that treasure!"

Oh, but they were fired up! They were eager, animated, energized, and as they waited, trained, and prepared for victory, their conviction grew.

But there was one more level of commitment that Cortez wanted to take them to, and they arrived at that place on that last, historic day, as they lined up to march inland. Before they would be allowed to seize the treasure that no army had taken for 600 years, Cortez would speak to them.

They were probably expecting something like, "OK, guys, we're gonna get out there and win today, and when we do, we are going to par-TAAAY! . . . Oh, and if it gets too tough, we'll just meet at the oak tree and come back to the ship." But that's not what they heard.

As they listened, Cortez leaned in and said three simple words that changed everything: "Burn the boats."

"Excuse me?" they must have said.

"Burn the boats," he repeated, "because if we are going home, we are going home in their boats." And he torched them. He burned his own boats, and by doing so, he raised their commitment level to new and astounding heights! And an amazing thing took place: they fought well! For the first time in six centuries, the wealth changed hands. Cortez's band took that treasure. And why did they win? The answer is very simple. They had no choice! It was "take it or die"—no options. Their boats were burned.

Theirs is the attitude you must embrace in your heart and mind: you must burn your boats. What are the boats in your life that are keeping you from accomplishing what you really want? What vessels in your mind are keeping afloat the fear and doubt and frustration that hold you captive? Whatever prevents you from achieving your goals and dreams is a boat that must be burned.

Unfortunately, when the bullets start flying, we make for the boats. It's just human nature. Doing anything else really requires a decision on our part. It's attitude more than anything. A willingness to work without the net, to burn the bridge—or boat. What boat do you need to burn? It can only happen one way: by embracing a level of commitment that sees sacrifice as a positive thing.

So many people think of sacrifice as something that is taken away, and it's gone forever. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sacrifices of time, money, and effort are what we give to the game. How badly do you want that final result? Are you willing to sacrifice more than anyone else? If so, then your triumphs will be consistently greater than anyone else's. Greatness—your greatness—will always be measured by the sacrifices that you are willing to make!

So strike a match to the anchors of your past and introduce yourself to the victories of your future.

Burn the boats!
every damn day brother!

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
« Reply #574 on: March 26, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
TLDR: Burn the boats. You won't regret it. Don't worry about the sacrifices. Sacrifices aren't loss. Sacrifices are what we give to get what we want.

What are you willing to do to quit or stay quit? What kind of person do you want to be in this quit: somebody willing to accept quit as a pleasant surprise or somebody willing to sacrifice time, sweat, and tears to be quit? Which one do you think will be more successful?

I've surrounded myself with people here at ktc that are willing to fight next to me for a common goal: Being quit. Everything else is noise and a distraction from my quit.

We can do this.
Quote from: Andy
Commitment is the foundation of success. Not a single football game has ever been won without it. Commitment has been involved in every skyscraper that has ever grown beyond the first floor. Businesses, marriages, and schoolwork all depend on the quality of commitment for their success. By focusing on that one important component, commitment, we can plan our future.

Deciding just how much we really want to achieve our goals is obviously the first critical step. It has been proven time and time again by our own experiences that we get out of something only what we put into it. We can accomplish extraordinary things only when we have planned to accomplish extraordinary things. And we alone can determine how hard we will work, how much we will invest, how late we will stay up, how many miles we will drive, and how much we are willing to endure to realize those extraordinary things. Our goals, our dreams, are a reality already awaiting our arrival. It is only when we claim a successful future that it begins to move toward us. But first let's examine the past, because by studying yesterday's challenges, we can more ably ensure tomorrow's success.

In February 1519, Hernando Cortez set sail on the final leg of a voyage that was to take him from Cuba, a stopover, to the shores of the Yucatan. He commanded 11 ships, with more than 500 soldiers, 100 sailors, and 16 horses, bound for Mexico to take the world's richest treasure. The precious jewels, gold, silver, and sculptures sheltered on this limestone peninsula had been hoarded by the same army for 600 years.

The quest for these riches began several years before in Spain. Cortez, already a wealthy man, had heard about the treasure. For centuries people had tried to take it, to no avail. But ambitious Cortez knew that he could take it—if he had the right kind of help. He decided to get more people involved. He wanted to build an army that could accomplish something that one man could not. So Cortez began to travel around Spain to talk to people and build a dream in them. Since he was already rich and successful in their eyes, as he told them of the bountiful treasure that was theirs for the taking, they believed him.

Oh, other people had tried, he told them. Columbus, Vasquez, DeSoto, Vespucci-all had gone to Mexico seeking the fortune. And all were ordinary people, just like those Cortez was trying to persuade.

"They are just like us," he said to his listeners. "If they can do it, we can! And we will succeed!" This got them excited.

"Let's do it!" they agreed after Cortez's persuasive speech.

Of course, a few said, "I don't really believe there's treasure there," or "I don't think it'll work. But the majority of the people enthusiastically embraced the idea, and before long, Cortez's ships were in place. The soldiers were in position, the sailors were prepared, and the horses were aboard. And together they set sail for Mexico and the richest treasure in the world.

But once out on the ocean, it didn't take long for Cortez to realize he had a problem. Some who were excited before the journey, had now turned into whiners. There are always whiners.

Cries of "I shouldn't have come," "This isn't what I thought it was," and "I didn't know we were going to have to work this hard," began to circulate among the people. Yet Cortez persisted, in spite of them, and made it to Cuba, where he took on water, food, and supplies. After resting his men and letting the quitters get off the ship, he began the final leg of the journey, formulating an idea that had never been used before. He created a system to motivate and train his soldiers and sailors that was unheard of in the history of the military. When they landed on the shores of the Yucatan, Cortez began training, coaching, stoking them, even. He would hold "seminars" in the afternoon and "pep-rallies" at night. They were reminded constantly of all that they were about to accomplish. Cortez painted a panoramic picture of the magnificent treasure that would soon be theirs. And as they marched up and down the beach, honing their skills of warfare, they were told, "This is just one of the beautiful beaches we'll be able to walk along when we get that treasure!"

Oh, but they were fired up! They were eager, animated, energized, and as they waited, trained, and prepared for victory, their conviction grew.

But there was one more level of commitment that Cortez wanted to take them to, and they arrived at that place on that last, historic day, as they lined up to march inland. Before they would be allowed to seize the treasure that no army had taken for 600 years, Cortez would speak to them.

They were probably expecting something like, "OK, guys, we're gonna get out there and win today, and when we do, we are going to par-TAAAY! . . . Oh, and if it gets too tough, we'll just meet at the oak tree and come back to the ship." But that's not what they heard.

As they listened, Cortez leaned in and said three simple words that changed everything: "Burn the boats."

"Excuse me?" they must have said.

"Burn the boats," he repeated, "because if we are going home, we are going home in their boats." And he torched them. He burned his own boats, and by doing so, he raised their commitment level to new and astounding heights! And an amazing thing took place: they fought well! For the first time in six centuries, the wealth changed hands. Cortez's band took that treasure. And why did they win? The answer is very simple. They had no choice! It was "take it or die"—no options. Their boats were burned.

Theirs is the attitude you must embrace in your heart and mind: you must burn your boats. What are the boats in your life that are keeping you from accomplishing what you really want? What vessels in your mind are keeping afloat the fear and doubt and frustration that hold you captive? Whatever prevents you from achieving your goals and dreams is a boat that must be burned.

Unfortunately, when the bullets start flying, we make for the boats. It's just human nature. Doing anything else really requires a decision on our part. It's attitude more than anything. A willingness to work without the net, to burn the bridge—or boat. What boat do you need to burn? It can only happen one way: by embracing a level of commitment that sees sacrifice as a positive thing.

So many people think of sacrifice as something that is taken away, and it's gone forever. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sacrifices of time, money, and effort are what we give to the game. How badly do you want that final result? Are you willing to sacrifice more than anyone else? If so, then your triumphs will be consistently greater than anyone else's. Greatness—your greatness—will always be measured by the sacrifices that you are willing to make!

So strike a match to the anchors of your past and introduce yourself to the victories of your future.

Burn the boats!

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #573 on: January 30, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
I fucking love being quit.

It sucked sometimes. That was temporary. I've never regretted it and I love everything that I've discovered about myself and my friends here. I'll quit again today.

Day 2406

Thrice-Burn the Fleet
Quote from: Thrice
In this dark night we stand or fall
We are kings now, or nothing at all
Check your armor; Light up your torch
Touch the flame to the sail before you head for shore

And we will burn the fleet
We can never go home
It's on to victory or under ground
Burn the fleet, we'll be heroes or ghosts
But we won't be turned around

The old flag will burn with the sail
And a new one won't fly if we fail
But the fire continues to rise
And it shows not a hint of any fear in our eyes

Burn the fleet, we can never go home
Bump. ?
Quality read

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2034
« Reply #572 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
I fucking love being quit.

It sucked sometimes. That was temporary. I've never regretted it and I love everything that I've discovered about myself and my friends here. I'll quit again today.

Day 2406

Thrice-Burn the Fleet
Quote from: Thrice
In this dark night we stand or fall
We are kings now, or nothing at all
Check your armor; Light up your torch
Touch the flame to the sail before you head for shore

And we will burn the fleet
We can never go home

The old flag will burn with the sail
And a new one won't fly if we fail
But the fire continues to rise
And it shows not a hint of any fear in our eyes

Burn the fleet, we can never go home
Bump. ?
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day