Author Topic: Day 140 and counting  (Read 21450 times)

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day 140 and counting
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Quote from: srans
Quote from: Greg5280
Quote from: AppleJack
Quote from: SirDerek
Quote from: jhaenel23
Quote from: Scowick65
Quote from: Nolaq
Day 1,345

I went home this past weekend and met up with an old friend of mine, actually my best friend growing up.  This was the guy I started dipping with when we were 14 or 15.  We would walk from his house to buy a can every day.  $.89 a can back then.  We did everything together all the way through College and early into our careers.  Our kids played together, he might as well have been my brother. 

We were extremely close until I started my quit, and for the sake of my quit I chose to stay away from him. Not an easy decision at the time, but a necessary one. I visited him a time or two early on in my quit and he was supportive and wished me luck, but I could not stand to be around him while he dipped. I could not believe that he would continue to stuff his face full of poison in front of me and also continue to do something that was so clearly wrong for him.  I just decided I would avoid him and we drifted apart and I had not spoken a word to him in three years.

We sat and talked for about 3 hours on Saturday, sadly he packed his lip about 3 different times.  I asked him when he was going to quit that shit and his answer was " I can't."  " I can't go without it for more than 20 minutes, I start to get shaky and irritable."  I told him he was an addict and he shook his head in agreement, but said he didn't know how to start.  I told him where we were and that he was welcome, I told him I would walk him through the fire.  I hope to see him here before it is too late. 

I am going to take a new approach with him.  Instead of avoiding him as I did early on I am going to see him as often as I can, tell him how great life is free of the bitch, encourage him, give him knowledge.  I made the choice early on to avoid him to protect my quit, which I still believe was the right choice.  I am now going to reverse that decision to get him to begin his !!  We met Saturday by chance and I think it is time for me to reach out and help....

STAY QUIT
Greg
Get 'em brother. Let us know when he starts walking the halls.

In the meantime, you can tell him a total stranger that lives in the middle of nowhere in Maine is ready to support and help, too.

I bet there's about 1,000 other strangers chomping at the bit, too.
Yes. Man, I hope there is going to be a great ending to this story. I am here to help write it if he wants to begin journey of freedom.
Sign this Quitter up!! Whatever we can do. Nothing better than helping a loved one out of the fogg......

J
Push him into the live chat, hell he is bound to run into me and I would be more than welcome to lend a hand/ear/advice....

well done Greg as I know it must not be the most idea situation for you.
Bro... I just met you in chat today, a pleasure :)
81 days in for me right now... Not a noob, not a vet. I've got advice to offer the new guys, sure, but still have lots to learn and soak up. Hell... I think any quitter worth his/her salt would say that. This is a lifetime endeavor.

Thanks for reinforcing the foundation of my quit. Involvement, accountability, compassion, time tested quit wisdom.... Brotherhood. Proud to quit with you today...
AJ,
It was good meeting you last night also. Always good to get into chat and talk to some other quitters. I have been really slammed at work and let that interfere with my time on the site. I am making adjustments for that now and will be more active here.

Time spent on here is more productive and rewarding anyway...

STAY QUIT
Greg
I'm glad you will be making more time for the sight Greg. You are one of the ones that makes a big difference. Wisdom like you have shouldn't be bottled up. To many on this sight, including me could sure use any of that wisdom you don't mind giving up. Quit with you anyday.
Srans,
Thanks for that! Good to know my ramblings have helped. I am always willing to share what I know so fire away and I will help how I can.

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Day 1,345

I went home this past weekend and met up with an old friend of mine, actually my best friend growing up.  This was the guy I started dipping with when we were 14 or 15.  We would walk from his house to buy a can every day.  $.89 a can back then.  We did everything together all the way through College and early into our careers.  Our kids played together, he might as well have been my brother. 

We were extremely close until I started my quit, and for the sake of my quit I chose to stay away from him. Not an easy decision at the time, but a necessary one. I visited him a time or two early on in my quit and he was supportive and wished me luck, but I could not stand to be around him while he dipped. I could not believe that he would continue to stuff his face full of poison in front of me and also continue to do something that was so clearly wrong for him.  I just decided I would avoid him and we drifted apart and I had not spoken a word to him in three years.

We sat and talked for about 3 hours on Saturday, sadly he packed his lip about 3 different times.  I asked him when he was going to quit that shit and his answer was " I can't."  " I can't go without it for more than 20 minutes, I start to get shaky and irritable."  I told him he was an addict and he shook his head in agreement, but said he didn't know how to start.  I told him where we were and that he was welcome, I told him I would walk him through the fire.  I hope to see him here before it is too late. 

I am going to take a new approach with him.  Instead of avoiding him as I did early on I am going to see him as often as I can, tell him how great life is free of the bitch, encourage him, give him knowledge.  I made the choice early on to avoid him to protect my quit, which I still believe was the right choice.  I am now going to reverse that decision to get him to begin his !!  We met Saturday by chance and I think it is time for me to reach out and help....

STAY QUIT
Greg

In the meantime, you can tell him a total stranger that lives in the middle of nowhere in Maine is ready to support and help, too.

Yes. Man, I hope there is going to be a great ending to this story. I am here to help write it if he wants to begin journey of freedom.
Sign this Quitter up!! Whatever we can do. Nothing better than helping a loved one out of the fogg......

J
Push him into the live chat, hell he is bound to run into me and I would be more than welcome to lend a hand/ear/advice....

81 days in for me right now... Not a noob, not a vet. I've got advice to offer the new guys, sure, but still have lots to learn and soak up. Hell... I think any quitter worth his/her salt would say that. This is a lifetime endeavor.

Thanks for reinforcing the foundation of my quit. Involvement, accountability, compassion, time tested quit wisdom.... Brotherhood. Proud to quit with you today...
AJ,
It was good meeting you last night also. Always good to get into chat and talk to some other quitters. I have been really slammed at work and let that interfere with my time on the site. I am making adjustments for that now and will be more active here.

STAY QUIT
Greg
I'm glad you will be making more time for the sight Greg. You are one of the ones that makes a big difference. Wisdom like you have shouldn't be bottled up. To many on this sight, including me could sure use any of that wisdom you don't mind giving up. Quit with you anyday.
Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Day 1,345

STAY QUIT
Greg

J

AJ,

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2013, 02:51:00 AM »
Day 1,345

STAY QUIT
Greg

J

Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Day 1,345

STAY QUIT
Greg

J

Offline jhaenel23

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kicking the Nic Bitch's Ass every day!!Staying in the QUIT, And helping all of my KTC Brothers to do the same!!
« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Day 1,345

STAY QUIT
Greg

J
Stay in the Q.U.I.T*********Fuck the NIC!!" Jhaenel23
"Freedom is like your Soul going Commando!" Scowick
"Losers always whine about their best, Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!!" John Mason
"If its too much trouble to post roll, You can always Fuck Off!!" J2B
HOF Speech
Sounds Of Madness
QUIT 10-22-12
HOF 1-29-13
Post with Da Jackwagins!!

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Day 1,345

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Day 1,345

I went home this past weekend and met up with an old friend of mine, actually my best friend growing up. This was the guy I started dipping with when we were 14 or 15. We would walk from his house to buy a can every day. $.89 a can back then. We did everything together all the way through College and early into our careers. Our kids played together, he might as well have been my brother.

We were extremely close until I started my quit, and for the sake of my quit I chose to stay away from him. Not an easy decision at the time, but a necessary one. I visited him a time or two early on in my quit and he was supportive and wished me luck, but I could not stand to be around him while he dipped. I could not believe that he would continue to stuff his face full of poison in front of me and also continue to do something that was so clearly wrong for him. I just decided I would avoid him and we drifted apart and I had not spoken a word to him in three years.

We sat and talked for about 3 hours on Saturday, sadly he packed his lip about 3 different times. I asked him when he was going to quit that shit and his answer was " I can't." " I can't go without it for more than 20 minutes, I start to get shaky and irritable." I told him he was an addict and he shook his head in agreement, but said he didn't know how to start. I told him where we were and that he was welcome, I told him I would walk him through the fire. I hope to see him here before it is too late.

I am going to take a new approach with him. Instead of avoiding him as I did early on I am going to see him as often as I can, tell him how great life is free of the bitch, encourage him, give him knowledge. I made the choice early on to avoid him to protect my quit, which I still believe was the right choice. I am now going to reverse that decision to get him to begin his !! We met Saturday by chance and I think it is time for me to reach out and help....

STAY QUIT
Greg

What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Day 1,345

I went home this past weekend and met up with an old friend of mine, actually my best friend growing up. This was the guy I started dipping with when we were 14 or 15. We would walk from his house to buy a can every day. $.89 a can back then. We did everything together all the way through College and early into our careers. Our kids played together, he might as well have been my brother.

We were extremely close until I started my quit, and for the sake of my quit I chose to stay away from him. Not an easy decision at the time, but a necessary one. I visited him a time or two early on in my quit and he was supportive and wished me luck, but I could not stand to be around him while he dipped. I could not believe that he would continue to stuff his face full of poison in front of me and also continue to do something that was so clearly wrong for him. I just decided I would avoid him and we drifted apart and I had not spoken a word to him in three years.

We sat and talked for about 3 hours on Saturday, sadly he packed his lip about 3 different times. I asked him when he was going to quit that shit and his answer was " I can't." " I can't go without it for more than 20 minutes, I start to get shaky and irritable." I told him he was an addict and he shook his head in agreement, but said he didn't know how to start. I told him where we were and that he was welcome, I told him I would walk him through the fire. I hope to see him here before it is too late.

I am going to take a new approach with him. Instead of avoiding him as I did early on I am going to see him as often as I can, tell him how great life is free of the bitch, encourage him, give him knowledge. I made the choice early on to avoid him to protect my quit, which I still believe was the right choice. I am now going to reverse that decision to get him to begin his !! We met Saturday by chance and I think it is time for me to reach out and help....

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #244 on: October 12, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Putting this here for future reference... Thanks SM

(ryano34 @ Nov 4, 2009, 3:47 pm)
Very interesting article I found today.....

Nicotine Warning for Cold Turkey Quitters

Roughly 80-90% of all new quitters attempt to quit cold turkey (abrupt nicotine cessation). If you are one of them then you need to know that many highly respected websites contain advertisements, quitting instructions and articles created by the pharmaceutical industry for the purpose of getting you to purchase nicotine (which they have renamed medicine) and use it (which they have renamed therapy). Their super slick marketing is designed to make you quickly believe that you have very little chance of succeeding unless you rush-out and purchase nicotine weaning products such as the nicotine patch, nicotine gum or nicotine lozenge and immediately put nicotine back into your bloodstream. They do not want you to believe in "you." They do not want you to reach for education, understanding, new skills and support, as honest tools that make dreams come true at rates that make those achieved by their weaning products laughable.

Sadly, very few sites are sharing useful, recent and honest NRT data with quitters. Those with a financial stake must keep secret the fact that a March 2003 NRT study review by paid pharmaceutical industry consultants combined and averaged all seven over-the-counter nicotine patch and gum studies and found that 93% of those who "believed" and "trusted" in the nicotine weaning message failed and relapsed to smoking nicotine within six months ( link to full text of March, 2003 study ). Nor will those receiving donations or profits for allowing nicotine to be marketed at their websites warn you that too many among the 7% who do quit smoking for six months have instead become permanent chemical captives to the very product they purchased to help them break nicotine's grip upon their mind. Nor will they tell you that if you have previously tried and failed while using nicotine weaning products that, according to two nicotine patch recycling studies, your odds of relapse during a second attempt may be as high as 100%.

But most importantly, these sites continue to refuse to caution the 80-90% of new quitters who arrive having quit cold turkey, that if they have remained 100% nicotine free for 72 hours that their blood is now 100% nicotine-clean, 90% of nicotine's metabolites have passed through their urine, and that for them chemical withdrawal has peaked in intensity and is now beginning to gradually subside. Any nicotine use at this point constitutes chemical relapse that will require them to repeat nicotine detox all over again. This is the "Law of Addiction."

But take heart if you are quitting cold turkey. According to the American Cancer Society's Cancer Facts  Figures 2003 report, 91.2% of all successful long-term quitters are today quitting entirely on their own without using Zyban, Wellbutrin, hypnosis, acupuncture, magic herbs, and without toying with any gradual nicotine weaning products like the patch, gum, lozenge, spray, or inhaler.

You'd think that government researchers would be heavily engaged in studying "their" method of quitting and "their" secrets. You'd think that they'd be developing websites to service the cessation needs of the 80-90% of all new quitters who they know are today engaged in a cold turkey quitting experience. You'd think that their sites would have warnings to protect cold turkey quitters from pharmaceutical grade nicotine relapse. You'd think that government and major health non-profits would have lots of articles on how to take the mystery and cold out of quitting cold.

Sadly, it simply isn't happening. The pharmaceutical industry is making billions selling nicotine to nicotine addicts, their sphere of influence extends beyond your wildest imagination and they know that the only way to continue to increase market share and profits is by continuing their campaign to destroy the credibility of earth's most productive means of quitting - abrupt nicotine cessation.

John R. Polito, Nicotine Cessation Educator

Offline Roamcountry

• Quit Pro
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Day 1,031

I woke up this morning and was doing my morning reading as usual. I came across a story written by another quitter about a family memeber he recently lost. Earlier in life this man had lost his jaw and most of his facial muscles to cancer from dipping. Living disfigured for the past 30 years he continued his addiction, smoking. This story hit me hard this morning, surprisingly hard! It reminded me of my father and how badly I miss him. How he has not gotten to watch my children grow. Has not gotten to watch me beat the addiction he could not. How his addiction cheated me out of 20+ years of memories with him. I miss you dad!

While my father was never a dipper he smoked all of his life and spent the last years of his life in agaony, fighting for every breath he took, hooked to an oxygen machine. In the end my father was so sick he weighed about 100 lbs and was hooked to every machine known to man, was so weak he could not walk himself to the bathroom, dress himself, but still smoked. He died alone in a hospital bed in pain and fighting to breathe. I still see the look on his face the last time I saw him; fear, confusion, pain...

This story hit me hard and also served to remind me why I am clean and why I choose to remain so every day! Something will get me, but it will not be Nicotine!!. This story also strengthens my resolve to help ANY person who asks me to gain their freedom from this addiction! Make no mistake this IS a fight for your life.

Thank you all who came before me and have shown me the way ! Thank you to all the new quitters that keep me clean! Thank you to the quitters I have not yet met and helped. I promise you all I will NOT use Nicotine today !!

I miss you Dad.

NEVER AGAIN FOR ANY REASON

STAY QUIT
Greg
Very touching greg. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Day 1,031

I woke up this morning and was doing my morning reading as usual. I came across a story written by another quitter about a family memeber he recently lost. Earlier in life this man had lost his jaw and most of his facial muscles to cancer from dipping. Living disfigured for the past 30 years he continued his addiction, smoking. This story hit me hard this morning, surprisingly hard! It reminded me of my father and how badly I miss him. How he has not gotten to watch my children grow. Has not gotten to watch me beat the addiction he could not. How his addiction cheated me out of 20+ years of memories with him. I miss you dad!

While my father was never a dipper he smoked all of his life and spent the last years of his life in agaony, fighting for every breath he took, hooked to an oxygen machine. In the end my father was so sick he weighed about 100 lbs and was hooked to every machine known to man, was so weak he could not walk himself to the bathroom, dress himself, but still smoked. He died alone in a hospital bed in pain and fighting to breathe. I still see the look on his face the last time I saw him; fear, confusion, pain...

This story hit me hard and also served to remind me why I am clean and why I choose to remain so every day! Something will get me, but it will not be Nicotine!!. This story also strengthens my resolve to help ANY person who asks me to gain their freedom from this addiction! Make no mistake this IS a fight for your life.

Thank you all who came before me and have shown me the way ! Thank you to all the new quitters that keep me clean! Thank you to the quitters I have not yet met and helped. I promise you all I will NOT use Nicotine today !!

I miss you Dad.

NEVER AGAIN FOR ANY REASON

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #241 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Does asking for help make you weak?

Getting help from someone to stop using tobacco/nicotine may sound like a simple thing, just go ask right? But is it really as simple as it sounds? Who do you ask for help? When do you ask for help? Where do you go to find people to help? Will they even know how to help? All very real questions that require some answers before you expose yourself to someone else. There are so many mixed messages when it comes to quitting it makes it very confusing to know where to turn.

Asking for or accepting help is something that is extremely challenging for most of us. It is never easy to admit you cannot do something on your own and it can be extremely hard, almost impossible for those who have a mindset that seeking help makes us less of a person or shows weakness. I had these thoughts when it came to asking someone to help me stop using tobacco/ nicotine and it kept me from quitting for a long time.

To begin with the number of people who successfully quit tobacco/ nicotine without help or a solid support group is about 2 out of 100. Sure we all know “that” person who did it without help but what about the thousand other people who did seek help? You probably never heard about them because getting the help they needed has kept silent, a bond of trust between quitter and mentor. If they fought their asses off every day, screaming, ranting, scared shitless and needed every ounce of support and help they received does that mean they are weak? I say Hell no.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Quitting it is not easy, it takes work and is often not a pretty sight. In my opinion the person who had to reach out for help is the stronger of the two. They knew without help they would still be a slave to their addiction and were willing to do whatever it took to rid their self of a terrible demon and take control of their life again; even if it meant admitting they need help. To me that is STRENGTH !!

There is only one way to quit nicotine, and that is to put it down and never touch it again in any way shape or form. Anything else is still using, thus not a true quit. That idea of stopping cold turkey is scary, believe me I know. I ingested nicotine daily for 30 years. Cold turkey CAN be done. This site is where you need to be to become clean, stop lurking and start quitting. This site was founded by ex users and is run by ex users so we know what you are feeling and what your journey will be like.

If you need help ask for it !! That is why we are here. The goal is to free yourself from Nicotine, do what you must to get that done. If it means you have to lean on someone for awhile then do that.

Your freedom IS worth it.

We are waiting

Offline LLCope

• Quitter
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
Quote from: Souliman
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?Actually who are you not to be? Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightening about shrinking so other people won’t feel insecure around you.

As we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Greg this how I see the world now. Over the past 607 days, I've realized what the world has been offering me all this time that I haven't had the nerve to accept. No more.
Great! Thanks-- I agree with this.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without" HD Thoreau

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?Actually who are you not to be? Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightening about shrinking so other people won’t feel insecure around you.

As we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Greg this how I see the world now. Over the past 607 days, I've realized what the world has been offering me all this time that I haven't had the nerve to accept. No more.