Author Topic: So here is the year !!  (Read 273 times)

Offline thequit

• Likes Given: 0
So here is the year !!
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
My dip started when I was 14 and I am 34 now so I was really scared that it was enough of Nicotine in my blood stream and enough irritation to my lips to cause cancer. At the same time, this seemed almost impossible little over a year ago but wanted to try once really hard to save myself the remaining 45-50 years of normal life-expectancy. Officially the last dip I took was on 30 April 2011. Couldn't resist the urge the next day - May 1, 2011 and then went to shoppers' drug mart to buy nicotine patch - bought them and used. I used them for the first 3-4 days in May 2011 but then felt like some king of stuffy nose and headache while on the patch. It was from May 5, 2011 that I never ever took dip or any form of tobacco.
It was not easy at all especially in the beginning. The first 3 days were like hell. I could break anytime and could have started back anytime. Fourth to seventh days were difficult too but better than the first 48 hours - still very bad. Second week was better but there definitely was a constant stress. Third week brought a lot of confidence as I had already successfully resisted quite a few strong cravings in the first 2 weeks so, there was this confidence element that got me rolling from third week onward. It was still stressful at times from the third week for few more weeks but not nearly as strong as before. I was determined and everyday was stronger. Yes, I withdrew from 2-3 of social gatherings in the first month as a new quit and I think that was very helpful.
Weeks passed, months passed and now without realizing, it has already been a year. After the first few weeks, it has not been much difficult to resist the urge. There were more frequent urges in the beginning but those got further apart with time. Now, I almost dont have any urge. I do not say that there are not moments when I feel like putting that thing in mouth but those are just 'feeling' rather than urge - very easy to resist.
Good luck to all new quits out there and to those who have been thinking about it - it is worth a try - that shit is not worth the risk friends - things will get better and easier with time - its just the first few days really and you can try drinking (cold) water, chew gum and get engaged in something else. You will get used to being a quit in no time and everyday it can only get better!!1