Author Topic: 10 days in and feeling pretty good  (Read 470 times)

Offline Heffski

• Interests: Skiing, biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, and lastly.... killing the nic bitch for good!
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 10 days in and feeling pretty good
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Totally know how it is with hiding the dip from (for me it was girlfriend of 3 years) the wife. It's crazy how easy it is to keep your habit on the down low. For better or worse that relationship took a dive and I've since been reinventing myself as best as possible. My current girlfriend didn't know that I dipped, but in the spirit of getting quit and staying quit I came out and told her. As great a tool as this site is, knowing your family and loved ones got your back is crucial.

Also congrats at killing the nic bitch mid can. I think it puts you in a better mental state for the journey ahead, since you left it where it stood. There's no "one last dip" to "miss" when the final can runs dry. Keep it up, stay strong.

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quit
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Quote from: glennjm
Thanks for all the kind words. Where do you get to the roll call? I'm going to try to hit it everyday but the internet service where we are working isn't always reliable. I had quit before a few times but the intention of "this is it" was never there and I knew it. This time it is there hardcore and for good.
Read the
Introductory pages first

Or just jump into the June 2013 group and let them help you figure things out.

Offline glennjm

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. Where do you get to the roll call? I'm going to try to hit it everyday but the internet service where we are working isn't always reliable. I had quit before a few times but the intention of "this is it" was never there and I knew it. This time it is there hardcore and for good.

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quit
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Quote from: glennjm
Well I had been chewing for 10 years up until February 24. My wife was away for work for 2 weeks and something kind of just snapped in me. I drove off to Walmart and picked up some Smokey Mountain. I had a can and a half of Cope snuff left. I was going to start when they were gone but thought I would start right then and there. So now it has been 10 days. I'm not going back. I work on a ship for a living and had always convinced myself I needed the chew to keep the stress in check. I know that isn't the case. There are so many things that I have linked chewing to. I have hidden from my wife the amount I chew/fact that I still chew and I plan on telling her when i get home. I have thought about Copenhagen quite a bit but have not nor will slip back to where I was. I'm okay with using the Smokey Mountain as it still works for the oral craving but isn't full of stuff that is going to kill me.
I like your story. It makes me want to be chatty with you for a minute.

In my opinion, you've shown up here when it matters. The physical part is hard, but getting through that is a matter of knowing it's going to end after it sucks for a while. And what can we do here on the site? We can't give you the day off, fluff your pillows and make a nice big cup of chicken soup for you.

Sympathy. Experience. Assurances that it will get better. Congratulations. Abusive threats not to be a pussy. That's about all we have to help with the physical side. Valuable as they are, they aren't much. A sympathetic wife could do more for you than we can, with the physical discomfort.

But after that, it's mostly yourself that you're fighting. Why not go back? Why not just one, once in a while? What's really so bad? These thoughts start to get their hooks into you. They even find their way into your dreams. They are really, really hard to resist, day after day. That's when the tools we have here start to show their power. Staying power is what we offer. Stay close. Demand that we help you. It's what we're here for.

By the way, when I quit the fake stuff I expected to be hit with the cravings and fog that I had when I stopped nicotine. This expectation was built into me from having "quit" countless times. Withdrawal panic is more about the anticipation of pain than the actual experience of it. Quitting the fake stuff is a lot easier than you might be able to believe right now. You can take the money you save and buy something sweet for your wife, when you apologize for deceiving her all this time, as many of us did.

Congratulations.

Offline EFNKodiak

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-02-27
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Congrats Glenn. I dipped for 12 years and hid it from most folks. Quitting with you today. Keep it up.

Offline kkljinc

• Quitter
  • Interests: I love to workout, RUN, and Weights. Hunter and a Fisherman. Golf is my passion.Wife and kids keep me busy.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Welcome to the Quit, glad your here. A lot of the same stories around here, I quit with you today, and will do it again tomorrow. Be sure to hit roll call.

Offline glennjm

• Quitter
10 days in and feeling pretty good
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
Well I had been chewing for 10 years up until February 24. My wife was away for work for 2 weeks and something kind of just snapped in me. I drove off to Walmart and picked up some Smokey Mountain. I had a can and a half of Cope snuff left. I was going to start when they were gone but thought I would start right then and there. So now it has been 10 days. I'm not going back. I work on a ship for a living and had always convinced myself I needed the chew to keep the stress in check. I know that isn't the case. There are so many things that I have linked chewing to. I have hidden from my wife the amount I chew/fact that I still chew and I plan on telling her when i get home. I have thought about Copenhagen quite a bit but have not nor will slip back to where I was. I'm okay with using the Smokey Mountain as it still works for the oral craving but isn't full of stuff that is going to kill me.