Author Topic: HOF here I am!  (Read 243 times)

Offline brad_boy

• Quit Date: 2018-01-01
  • Likes Given: 0
HOF here I am!
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »
Well it's been quite the journey and a rocky one at that. Quit on new years day and this year I meant it. This was very challenging and I did cheat once on day 3 but not since. I wasn't the biggest of chewers but did go thru a can every 2-3 days and had been doing that for about 17 years. Cope Mint was my choice.

First few weeks I was pretty irritable, and started researching online for some support. This is where my support came from! Started looking at Chewie's responses and reading up on everyone else's struggles as well and it provided such a relief.

Got to about day 30 and hit the fog for about a week and a half, felt like I was in a tunnel and could barely focus on one thing. Then the anxiety kicked in. I tell you, nicotine can do some strange things to your mind! Read on this forum that Lexapro can help get over this hump. Went to the doctor and got a prescription. This seemed to take the edge off and continue reading the struggles helped me know that I wasn't the only one working thru this. Started hitting the fake chew pretty hard which helped at the time.

Got to about day 60, yes it took a month to start feeling normal, and I felt like I was over the hump and on the downward side finally. Kept checking in and reading on what to expect next. Kept being strong and started chewing a heck of a lot of gum. It was still a daily mind game to tell yourself you can do it, keep pushing the anxiety to the side and lifting yourself up. It seemed like the things that didn't usually bothered me, got to me. Got off the fake chew at this point which I didn't really need or want anymore. I'll shoot you straight and from day 30 to day 60 was the worst of it. If you can push thru this month, you got it!

Hit day 90 and knew that I was home free. Heck, I had to remind myself the last ten days that today was going to be day 100 nicotine free and start thinking about what to say which might help others.

As many others have said it, if I can do it you can too. Each person will have a different support system or crutch. Mine was gum, fake chew, and researching online about what to expect. Keeping my mind and hands busy will help as well. I wished I would have started exercising more which I think would have made this journey tons easier.

First steps first, you have to want to quit and you will get there!

Good luck, and looking forward to my life without nicotine!