Author Topic: My First 13 Days  (Read 688 times)

Offline TLOC81

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-01-13
  • Interests: Quitting chewing tobacco for good
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My First 13 Days
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Post roll!!...the rest is just details
Tedx on addiction
Transcending addiction Tedx

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it a thousand times. -Mark Twain

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
I congratulate your quit and your experiences are real. We all know that. However, you are no special butterfly and need to get your ass in here and quit with the rest of us or you will be finger fucking 2 tins a day again. Just saying...

Mogul

Offline invader

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-12
  • Interests: Board games, antique bicycles, and doing my fair share to bankrupt the ghouls over at Copenhagen.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
Quote from: KHank
I had originally set my quit date for 06/15/2015. I gave it a shot, but only made it one day. I tried again on 06/17/2015 and made it until 10 pm that night. On 06/19/2015, I woke up with determination. I have made it 13 days now. I am on my way. I am 55 years old. I first started dipping when I was about 13 years old. I either dipped or smoked (or both) until I was 25 years old. At 25, I quit both. I went 8 years with neither. Then when I was 33 years old, I became a member of a volunteer fire department. Most of the members chewed or dipped. That was 22 years ago. I have dipped for 22 years straight since. My habit had gotten me to 2 cans a day.

Reasons I quit: Health and Expense. I went to the doctor about 8 months ago. My cholesterol was extremely high. I was a Diabetic. I was 100 pounds overweight. Since that time, I have lost 60 pounds. I have changed my diet. I try to only eat foods that are healthy. I haven't had any alcohol in 8 months (part of my weight loss plan).

I promised my wife and son that I would quit snuff. I made a verbal commitment to them that I would quit before my next doctor's appointment on 06/29/2015. I also told my doctor that I would quit snuff by the time that I had my next visit with him on 06/29/2015.

On 06/29/2015, I had 10 days of quit under my belt, and I was carrying around 60 pounds less of weight. My cholesterol was normal. I am now classified as having Diet Controlled Diabetes. I don't have to take any medications for the diabetes.

I am determined to live a healthy lifestyle that includes healthy eating, exercise, and no tobacco.

My experience so far.

Day 1 through 3: Extreme cravings, moodiness, just wanted to sleep all the time. It was the weekend, so I slept in and took naps. Crazy dreams, night sweats, cold chills. Serious Constipation! Constant Headaches. Lots of Fog!
Day 4 through 10: cravings not as bad, moodiness at times, going to sleep earlier and waking earlier, crazier dreams, night sweat (but not as bad), hot flashes and cold chills at night. Constipation was relieved at day 7. Headaches that came and went, but were not as bad. Constant fog, but not as bad as first 3 days.
Day 11 and Day 12: cravings in morning, moodiness better, no crazy dreams, Sweated a little but very light. No hot flashes or cold chills during night. Still experiencing some fog, but getting lighter every day.
Day 13: I feel better this morning. Slept good. No dreams. No sweating, chills, or hot flashes. Still some fog.

My tools: sunflower seeds - I eat a small package every night at 9 pm. Sugar-free gum - I chew gum four or five times a day for 15 minutes. This has helped my cravings, especially first thing in the morning. Fruit - I've been eating snacks scattered throughout the day which include bananas, oranges, apples, strawberries, blackberries, peaches, cantaloupe, tomatoes, and grapes. I eat a small snack of fruit periodically during the day. I eat this slowly and enjoy the flavor. Drinks: I've been drinking lots of water and green tea.

The nice thing is that after I made it 3 days, I knew there would be no turning back now. I never want to go through those first 3 days of quit again.

My motto now: Never Quit Quitting.

13 days and counting. I'll be back to post when I hit 100 days, and I will make 100 days.

Kenneth Hankins
Well first of all, congratulations on your decision to quit and your recent good news at the doctor! However, I would highly encourage you to get involved with your group and post roll call every day. You did the right thing by telling your family you were quitting, but here at KTC, we're over 23,000 strong. Why not head on over to your group and promise them you won't use nicotine as well? That's a TON of accountability, but if you're serious about it and have 30 seconds a day, I don't see why you would mind doing that!

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
Why would you come in here and not sign up? Hmm it's free! Goodluck on your on but past track record says you will fail! Get your ass in here and post roll, enjoy the brotherhood and accountability! Unless you can give me an excellent reason then post roll, 30 second a day. I quit with you!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
Great job on 13 days.
Everything looks good BUT......
Your going down that same road trying to do it alone.

What kind of success you gonna have putting a house fire out by yourself?

Brother you need a team!

WE don't just check in every 100 days or so.....
We are here EVERY DAMN DAY!

Join us....
Learn to post roll EVERY morning.

Go here:
topic/11155274/

I'll help YOU put a fire out. ODAAT.
Rawls 227
I believe.....

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Quote from: KHank
I had originally set my quit date for 06/15/2015. I gave it a shot, but only made it one day. I tried again on 06/17/2015 and made it until 10 pm that night. On 06/19/2015, I woke up with determination. I have made it 13 days now. I am on my way. I am 55 years old. I first started dipping when I was about 13 years old. I either dipped or smoked (or both) until I was 25 years old. At 25, I quit both. I went 8 years with neither. Then when I was 33 years old, I became a member of a volunteer fire department. Most of the members chewed or dipped. That was 22 years ago. I have dipped for 22 years straight since. My habit had gotten me to 2 cans a day.

Reasons I quit: Health and Expense. I went to the doctor about 8 months ago. My cholesterol was extremely high. I was a Diabetic. I was 100 pounds overweight. Since that time, I have lost 60 pounds. I have changed my diet. I try to only eat foods that are healthy. I haven't had any alcohol in 8 months (part of my weight loss plan).

I promised my wife and son that I would quit snuff. I made a verbal commitment to them that I would quit before my next doctor's appointment on 06/29/2015. I also told my doctor that I would quit snuff by the time that I had my next visit with him on 06/29/2015.

On 06/29/2015, I had 10 days of quit under my belt, and I was carrying around 60 pounds less of weight. My cholesterol was normal. I am now classified as having Diet Controlled Diabetes. I don't have to take any medications for the diabetes.

I am determined to live a healthy lifestyle that includes healthy eating, exercise, and no tobacco.

My experience so far.

Day 1 through 3: Extreme cravings, moodiness, just wanted to sleep all the time. It was the weekend, so I slept in and took naps. Crazy dreams, night sweats, cold chills. Serious Constipation! Constant Headaches. Lots of Fog!
Day 4 through 10: cravings not as bad, moodiness at times, going to sleep earlier and waking earlier, crazier dreams, night sweat (but not as bad), hot flashes and cold chills at night. Constipation was relieved at day 7. Headaches that came and went, but were not as bad. Constant fog, but not as bad as first 3 days.
Day 11 and Day 12: cravings in morning, moodiness better, no crazy dreams, Sweated a little but very light. No hot flashes or cold chills during night. Still experiencing some fog, but getting lighter every day.
Day 13: I feel better this morning. Slept good. No dreams. No sweating, chills, or hot flashes. Still some fog.

My tools: sunflower seeds - I eat a small package every night at 9 pm. Sugar-free gum - I chew gum four or five times a day for 15 minutes. This has helped my cravings, especially first thing in the morning. Fruit - I've been eating snacks scattered throughout the day which include bananas, oranges, apples, strawberries, blackberries, peaches, cantaloupe, tomatoes, and grapes. I eat a small snack of fruit periodically during the day. I eat this slowly and enjoy the flavor. Drinks: I've been drinking lots of water and green tea.

The nice thing is that after I made it 3 days, I knew there would be no turning back now. I never want to go through those first 3 days of quit again.

13 days and counting. I'll be back to post when I hit 100 days, and I will make 100 days.

Kenneth Hankins
KHank,
Welcome to KTC. You will quickly notice that your story and your prior attempts to quit (which were stoppages not quits) are not different from many of us. You appear to know what you want and have resolve to quit. And your making it to 13 days is no small task. I do however urge you to see this as an addiction not a habit. I quit almost 2 years ago the KTC way (cold turkey) and still to this day I believe I am an addict.

Now if you are still reading this then please explore some of the tips and tricks I am laying out for you below (bold and underlined items are links to help guide you:
1 - Learn how to Post Roll Call
2 - Post roll with your Pre-HOF Group September Samurais of Quit; this is the month in which you will reach the 100 days quit milestone
3 - plan for a craving ahead of time...this means be prepared with an alternative and plan to power through it. I used fake dip, cinnamon candies, sunflower seeds, beef jerky...you choose your new vice, just no nicotine or tobacco
4 - drink lots of water, exercise if you can...even a brisk walk can help; physical activity helps cleanse the mind and body
5 - read stories on here: Hall Of Fame Speeches, Words of Wisdom, Intros from other quitters[/URL[/b]]...be prepared to have a tear or two rolling down your cheek
6 - directly involve your wife or son but do not quit for them, quit for you and you alone: perhaps this read will help them: Spousal Support
7 - never get angry at anyone but you for your addiction, unless someone forced you to dip then you may kick their ass. Anger comes and goes with your quit, when it does come to the site and read, go to chat and vent or hell ask for my phone number and come yell at me
8 - post roll daily and promise your new brothers and sisters too

Pinched
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline KHank

• Quit Date: 2015-06-19
My First 13 Days
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »

My experience so far.

Kenneth Hankins