Author Topic: New quitter here, 27, new dad soon, and starting graduate school= STRESS  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Dawgs

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/5/2019
  • Likes Given: 265
Re: New quitter here, 27, new dad soon, and starting graduate school= STRESS
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
I may only be on my day 2, but I’m here to say that, being a fellow nurse, dip never made school easier. Shit, I’d have a hard test and I would throw in a dip right before to “calm my nerves.” But instead it got my BP and HR up and made me more stressed! I’m in it with you brother, because being a nurse as well I understand the stress and just needing those breaks, but I realized that no matter how big of a dip I had, it never got rid of the stress going back in, it never reduced the amount of patients I had, it never changed the circumstances of anyone and it never changed how sad it was knowing someone is terminal. Keep the quit up. Let your love for the medical field be your addiction. I can tell you that is how I’m getting through today.
@NurseFarmer and @Swampdonkey931 ...I am an X-Ray tech and I went straight from X-Ray school to the Cardiac Cath Lab and Interventional Radiology. I did that for almost 20 years. The stresses will always be there, even after school. Those of us in healthcare see some bad stuff. I know I have. Especially in Interventional Radiology at a Level 1 Trauma center. The one that sticks out is being called in at about 1am one morning. The patient had been through surgery earlier in the day for throat and neck cancer. As the night went on, he began bleeding from all the cancer still left behind and we were called to try to embolize all the bleeders. He didn’t make it off our table. We zipped him up in a bag that night. Why do I retell this story? Because that was about 3 years before I quit. I saw that and put another dip in as soon as I got back to my car. The stresses never go away. It’s time for you to take your life back over. PM me if you want digits to help you. Or if you just wanna talk healthcare.

Offline Miker0351

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: Football (Go Pats), Really any sport, word and logic puzzles (crosswords, sudoku, etc), Movies (Love a good movie and willing to watch a bunch of bad ones to find the good ones)
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 03:42:09 PM »
Hey Logan - Mike here from Columbia, MD. Best advice I can give ya is to not worry about your ability to handle it all. You're already a pending father/student/etc so those things are pretty much in the bag. All you've got to focus on that's different is quitting for today. I've never quit more than one day in my life...today just happens to be the 1,150th day in a row that I've decided to quit. Hang in there and quit for today - keep your commitment and just do it. Then, by golly wake up tomorrow and commit again. Quitting for a lifetime is hard AF, but you've already quit for a day (seven times in fact) why not just do it again? Quit with you today man and if you need anything, reach out! I'm not a real helpful guy, but I'm usually at least around.

Offline NurseFarmer

• Quitter
  • Taking the battle to the nic bitch
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
I may only be on my day 2, but I’m here to say that, being a fellow nurse, dip never made school easier. Shit, I’d have a hard test and I would throw in a dip right before to “calm my nerves.” But instead it got my BP and HR up and made me more stressed! I’m in it with you brother, because being a nurse as well I understand the stress and just needing those breaks, but I realized that no matter how big of a dip I had, it never got rid of the stress going back in, it never reduced the amount of patients I had, it never changed the circumstances of anyone and it never changed how sad it was knowing someone is terminal. Keep the quit up. Let your love for the medical field be your addiction. I can tell you that is how I’m getting through today.

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
Hey guys, my name is Logan Pardon from Columbia, TN. You can friend me on FB. I can't text etc because my phone is a work/on call phone.  Im on day 7 today Nic free, and im a 27 year old new dip quitter, dipped 1.5 cans/day of Grizzly mint since i was 16, had a 2 year hiatus from dip when i quit when i was 23ish, I had alot of anxiety but i expected it and had no real life stresses at the time so it was ehhh. I then started back 2 years later because i felt like i could have just one dip. Two weeks later and i was a can/day again. Ugh. So my wife and I have our 1st baby boy coming about the end of this month so i knew I needed to quit, and im anxious about that, and I start Nurse Anesthesia school in January online and am nervous about that as well. Thanks everyone for the support. I guess my anxiety is just trying to make my mind race and doubt my ability to handle all of it. I know on day 7 (where I am now)my anxiety is irrational and mixed with lack of sleep, and the anxiety is just trying it's best to get me to cave and throw in a fatty and relax for a few weeks waiting for the baby to come, BUT I AM GOING TO HANDLE STRESS AND LIFE BY MYSELF AND WITH GOD through prayer and exercise, NOT BY THE GRACE OF WHETHER OR NOT the nicotine feels like I can relax!!!! Thanks everyone in the January quit club for the support so far!! ALSO QUICK QUESTION, WHY IS THIS QUIT SO MUCH HARDER THAN THE PREVIOUS ONE????

It is harder because your ADDICT BRAIN knows that there is no more nicotine coming to it if you stick with the program here.  It is fighting you with every ounce of energy it has.  But do not ever get complacent, because that is when it will strike the hardest and you will be back to rationalizing whether One more could hurt or not.
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline Swampdonkey931

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 66
Hey guys, my name is Logan Pardon from Columbia, TN. You can friend me on FB. I can't text etc because my phone is a work/on call phone.  Im on day 7 today Nic free, and im a 27 year old new dip quitter, dipped 1.5 cans/day of Grizzly mint since i was 16, had a 2 year hiatus from dip when i quit when i was 23ish, I had alot of anxiety but i expected it and had no real life stresses at the time so it was ehhh. I then started back 2 years later because i felt like i could have just one dip. Two weeks later and i was a can/day again. Ugh. So my wife and I have our 1st baby boy coming about the end of this month so i knew I needed to quit, and im anxious about that, and I start Nurse Anesthesia school in January online and am nervous about that as well. Thanks everyone for the support. I guess my anxiety is just trying to make my mind race and doubt my ability to handle all of it. I know on day 7 (where I am now)my anxiety is irrational and mixed with lack of sleep, and the anxiety is just trying it's best to get me to cave and throw in a fatty and relax for a few weeks waiting for the baby to come, BUT I AM GOING TO HANDLE STRESS AND LIFE BY MYSELF AND WITH GOD through prayer and exercise, NOT BY THE GRACE OF WHETHER OR NOT the nicotine feels like I can relax!!!! Thanks everyone in the January quit club for the support so far!! ALSO QUICK QUESTION, WHY IS THIS QUIT SO MUCH HARDER THAN THE PREVIOUS ONE????