Author Topic: Ending a 30 Year Run  (Read 350 times)

Offline MileHiGuy

• Quitter
  • Interests: Denver Broncos baby! Running. My wife and three kids.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ending a 30 Year Run
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Quote from: lospenguinos
Congrats on your decision and welcome to the team.

I use the fake stuff quite a bit at this point (59 days in). But I purposely try to NOT use it during major triggers like you mention. Trying to break the cycle. And not having a spitter in the car is a big step.

Just something to think about. Everyone is different. You'll try many tricks along the way and your methods will evolve. As long as you're not using nic you're doing well.

If you're into distance running, you might like the Endurance Enthusiasts Club, under WILDCARD from the main page. Kind of ties the 2 worlds together and gives you added support along with your quit group.

Feel free to PM if you need anything.
Thanks for the heads up on the Endurance Club - will check it out... And LOVE your avatar - damn hillarious!
Quit Date - 2/28/11
"I want to go out with a smile on my face, not a dip in my lip"

Offline MileHiGuy

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Quote from: ninereasons
Welcome MileHi. My triggers are similar - any time I could expect to be alone: especially driving, late nights, camping or hiking, and at work in my office. I've resorted to fake snuff for those occasions and it's been very effective; and also, my use of the fake is dropping off more each day. You don't need it - it's just a strategy in the head game that I and a some others here have been glad to try, with good results.

I'm a Laramie native; been there?
Hey Larry - been kinda scared and reluctant to try the fake stuff. I'm not sure if it would make it easier or harder for me - you know the ritual part. I'm also just keeping away from the section of the store that even carries anything tobaccoish if you know what I mean. Been chewing LOTS of gum though...

Yeah, my best friend went to University of Wyo. Went up there many times back in the days when drinking age was 19!
Quit Date - 2/28/11

Offline Larry Drummer

• Quitter
  • Interests: quittin, living....
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Welcome to the quit MileHi! We're all getting it done one day at a time up in here. Read alot, and quit alot. Reach out when times get rough as there will be somebody willing to help that knows exactly what your going through.

It's great to be quit with you!!

Offline lospenguinos

• Quitter
  • Interests: CrossFit, rugby, hockey
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Congrats on your decision and welcome to the team.

I use the fake stuff quite a bit at this point (59 days in). But I purposely try to NOT use it during major triggers like you mention. Trying to break the cycle. And not having a spitter in the car is a big step.

Just something to think about. Everyone is different. You'll try many tricks along the way and your methods will evolve. As long as you're not using nic you're doing well.

If you're into distance running, you might like the Endurance Enthusiasts Club, under WILDCARD from the main page. Kind of ties the 2 worlds together and gives you added support along with your quit group.

Feel free to PM if you need anything.
Gosh, Mister, my teeth feel cleaner. But what about the hole in the wall?

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quit
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Welcome MileHi. My triggers are similar - any time I could expect to be alone: especially driving, late nights, camping or hiking, and at work in my office. I've resorted to fake snuff for those occasions and it's been very effective; and also, my use of the fake is dropping off more each day. You don't need it - it's just a strategy in the head game that I and a some others here have been glad to try, with good results.

I'm a Laramie native; been there?

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Welcome to the site !! Best decision you have made in awhile.

I am going to send you some information. Check your inbox ( 1 ), Upper right corner. Read that, it should get you started and give you an idea what we do here.

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline MileHiGuy

• Quitter
Ending a 30 Year Run
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Decided to quit on Feb 28. Been giving my life, energy and money to tobacco since I was 13.

I have tried quitting several times before, but I wasn't committed like this go around.

Right now, I'm trying to fill the void by getting back into distance running. Put in 6 miles this am. Seems to be helping, but the nights are still the hardest. This is gonna be a tougher ride than I had hoped, but I've make it 5 days longer than any previous time, so I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment.

Keeping my sights on the prize so I can be around for my wife and three kids without worrying about when I'm gonna get cancer. Gotta get this done right this time.

Glad I found this site today. Its nice to know there are lots of us fighting the fight. I don't feel so alone. Nice to have some people who actually understand what a god damn son of a bitch this habit is to knock.

When is it REAL hard for me at the moment?
-driving (as soon as the key was in the ignition the dip was in the lip)
-night (put wife and kids in bed, turn on the tube, and put a pinch in)

I AM COMMITTED. I WILL QUIT. NOW.

MHG
Quit Date - 2/28/11