Author Topic: Day 17  (Read 2538 times)

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
Re: Day 17
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
For the last few days I’ve been dipping a mix of coffee grounds and corn syrup.  The syrup helps to bind the grounds together (and probably start rotting my teeth!) I’m not sure how much it is helping or pissing me off because it’s not the real thing. But one thing is for sure: no nic today.

That sounds painful bro.  They make grinds pouches, have you tried them?  I don't know if they are more or less cost effective than your method but probably taste better and won't hurt as much.
Smokey mountain isn’t bad. I buy it off amazon

Haven’t tried Smokey Mountain.  But I remember having Hooch Snuff a number of years ago and thinking, “well, it’s not terrible.”

I’ll see how far I can get on homemade fake dip (if for no other reason than to save some money).  But I’m certainly not opposed to a commercial product. 

The Bacc-off product with tea leaves seems interesting.  At least some reviews I’ve seen indicate it has a texture similar to tobacco, which would probably be the most important quality to me.  How would you describe the texture of Smokey Mountain compared to real tobacco (ideally, in comparison to Cope snuff, if you are familiar with it)?

Cope snuff was my poison. Smokey mountain wintergreen is more like cope long cut. Positive to me is it is similar in texture but different than snuff so I no I am doing something different than cope snuff.

Me personally, I tried Smokey Mountain once and through it the trash and went straight for the sun flower seeds.  I didn't like the texture or the amount of liquid in it.
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1908
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 08:24:17 PM »
For the last few days I’ve been dipping a mix of coffee grounds and corn syrup.  The syrup helps to bind the grounds together (and probably start rotting my teeth!) I’m not sure how much it is helping or pissing me off because it’s not the real thing. But one thing is for sure: no nic today.

That sounds painful bro.  They make grinds pouches, have you tried them?  I don't know if they are more or less cost effective than your method but probably taste better and won't hurt as much.

Haven’t tried Smokey Mountain.  But I remember having Hooch Snuff a number of years ago and thinking, “well, it’s not terrible.”

I’ll see how far I can get on homemade fake dip (if for no other reason than to save some money).  But I’m certainly not opposed to a commercial product. 

The Bacc-off product with tea leaves seems interesting.  At least some reviews I’ve seen indicate it has a texture similar to tobacco, which would probably be the most important quality to me.  How would you describe the texture of Smokey Mountain compared to real tobacco (ideally, in comparison to Cope snuff, if you are familiar with it)?

Cope snuff was my poison. Smokey mountain wintergreen is more like cope long cut. Positive to me is it is similar in texture but different than snuff so I no I am doing something different than cope snuff.
Jan19

Offline puma

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 07:46:31 PM »

Offline puma

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
I’ve seen the pouches.  Haven’t tried them though.  Unfortunately since I never liked pouches full of tobacco I suspect I wouldn’t like them full of coffee either.

As for being painful, as long as the beans are finely ground I actually don’t think it’s too bad.  I’ll admit though that it is almost as ridiculous to pack a lip of coffee as it is to pack a lip of tobacco.  Strange ritual when I step back and think about it objectively. 

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1908
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 07:33:49 PM »

Jan19

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »

If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline Judaculla

• Quitter
  • Interests: God, family, friends and the great outdoors
  • Likes Given: 358
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »

Poof
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:50:26 PM by Judaculla »

Offline puma

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »

Offline Redwood

• Quit Pro
  • One is too many and a thousand never enough.
  • Quit Date: 9/19/19
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 09:18:18 AM »
@puma
Glad to have you join the December 2019 quit group.  We have a great committed group.  Exchange digits over PM with as many quitters as possible, this will help.
I just turned 35 and I am only one day ahead of you on the quit, day 19 for me today.  I have had the same experience as you, the last several days have been more difficult than the first few days.  All I can say is that you are not going through this alone. All of those ahead of me in the quit, without exception, have promised me that it gets better with time and that life is by far better without nicotine than with it.  I choose to believe this and continue to take this ODAAT (one day at a time).  As long as you post your promise everyday, you are quitting together with all of us and are not alone.  PM sent.

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date : 29 May 2019
  • Likes Given: 558
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 11:47:38 PM »
Puma,

So many people have a misconception of what quitting is all about.  Many think there is a light switch that gets flicked at some point and everything is ok, but it isn't like that at all.  It's a slow and evolving process that is different for everyone.  You're beyond the physical dependence part; you have moved into the emotional/psychological part of it.  It becomes a mind game day in and day out; but this site is designed to combat that. 

Here, it's very simple what we do.  We wake up, piss and post our promise to not use dip or nicotine for the day.  We keep our word to our fellow brothers and sisters and we repeat it tomorrow.  It's that simple.  Just keep your word; that's all we ask.  Connect with fellow quitters in your group as well as connect with some vets.  It may seem weird now, but exchanging numbers with other quitters is quite empowering.   

It's amazing you have quit 17 days; something you should be really proud about. 

My digits are a PM away.  Stay quit!
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  If you fail, learn why you failed and try something different!

My HoF Speech

Offline puma

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 11:01:29 PM »
Thanks RDB.  Time to embrace the suck!

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
Welcome.

You are right, your brain is broken. Or at least part of it is at war with your body.

It will take time to return to near normal. Truth is, you will never be normal again. You and I and everyone here is an addict, and we always will be.  Best we can do is manage it.

The good news is that if you stick around here long enough, you will gain the tools needed to manage your addiction in a positive way.

Make sure to post roll early every day. That’s the first key to success.

Proud to quit with you.

Offline puma

Day 17
« on: October 06, 2019, 04:55:58 PM »
Hi folks.  I started dipping when I was 15 and now I am 38.  It's hard for me to believe that I've been addicted to this shit for over 2 decades but 17 days ago I put it down.   Cold turkey.  The first few days weren't so bad.  The cravings were certainly there but I was pumped about quitting and I was able to easily focus on all the reasons why I decided to quit.   There are many reasons, but the most motivating one for me is that it is infuriating (embarrassing, even) that I have allowed a chemical to have such an influence over me.   

The last few days however have been pretty horrible.  Even though my motivation to be quit hasn't changed, I find it extraordinary how frequently I have urges to run down to the store and spend $8.00 on a can of worthless garbage.  There is a non-stop battle going on in my head between rational thoughts (e.g., "I've already made it this far.  Why cave now?") and completely irrational ones (e.g., "I hate this.  I'd rather just go back to my Copenhagen angel").  It's almost as if my brain is broken--I am really having trouble thinking straight!  I had thought that by this time, all the nic would be out of my system and it would be getting easier by the day to be quit.  In fact, it seems to be becoming harder. 

So after lurking around this site anonymously for a several days, I decided to join KTC.  This is a great site and I find it really helpful to read other folks stories.  Thanks to all who take the time to share and motivate each other.