Author Topic: Hidden habit  (Read 32978 times)

Offline stillbrewing

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/5/19
  • Likes Given: 1076
Re: Hidden habit
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
600 days ago I finally decided I needed help with my habit addiction.  :P
Completely pissed that I had gotten myself hooked so deep…again. I mean, I had gotten through for many days completely on my own numerous times. Why would I keep going back?

Well, because willpower is not enough.

Willpower only lasts for as long as we continue to care.

As soon as I started posting roll here, I also started taking note of the qualities of people who’ve continued to post into the hundreds and thousands of days… what is it that makes them stay strong?

I now believe that “strength” is shown through ...taking ownership… realizing the freedom to choose what to do with what happens.
We can’t change our pasts (damn it!) but we can choose to do better and be better now.

I hope you quit today…right now.
And if you already have, I hope you keep going today. I hope you feel that freedom. One day at a time. No matter how it feels, there is a day ahead that is worth it.
Congrats @ankape. Keep kicking butt ODAAT. Proud to quit with you.
Congrats on that new floor, Kaper!  'lift'  Proud to quit with you EDD!
You are awesome!  Proud to quit with you one day at a time!
This is what a badass quitter looks like!
Ankape you rock. Now we need a new emoji of you on a dirt bike doing wheelie. Thanks Annie and PTBQW!!!!
Keep killing the QUIT!
Always PTBQWY!
"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes all worth living.  So, love the life you live, live the life you love." - Bob Marley

“La tristesse durera toujours." ~ Vincent van Gogh

"You can fuck off all the way to fuckoff mountain and jump off FUCKOFF point for all i care. Just post and stay quit." ~MikeW2018~

HOF-3/13/20; 2nd floor-6/21/20; 3rd floor-9/29/20; 1 year-12/3/20; 4th floor-1/7/21; 5th floor-4/17/21; 6th floor-7/26/21

HOF Speech Here

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »
Completely pissed that I had gotten myself hooked so deep…again. I mean, I had gotten through for many days completely on my own numerous times. Why would I keep going back?

As soon as I started posting roll here, I also started taking note of the qualities of people who’ve continued to post into the hundreds and thousands of days… what is it that makes them stay strong?

I now believe that “strength” is shown through ...taking ownership… realizing the freedom to choose what to do with what happens.
We can’t change our pasts (damn it!) but we can choose to do better and be better now.

And if you already have, I hope you keep going today. I hope you feel that freedom. One day at a time. No matter how it feels, there is a day ahead that is worth it.
Ankape you rock. Now we need a new emoji of you on a dirt bike doing wheelie. Thanks Annie and PTBQW!!!!

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2021, 05:19:55 PM »

ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 10/08/2018
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »

The only time you fail, is if you don't try

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »

Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1619
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2021, 08:08:45 AM »

Jan19

Offline ankape

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 10.25.2019
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2021, 10:19:52 PM »

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2021, 01:02:16 PM »
     Day 434
   I had never felt some of these things...at times the anxiety, or whatever it is, has felt overwhelming and exhausting. Time after time I tried to find a “reason” why I felt that way. But, I’m finally realizing it’s a part of me… it’s just a part I never felt before. A part of me that I kept in submission with addictions. Most of us were just kids when we began to flood our bodies with chemicals. And we dealt with a lot of things in the time between. I challenge you to challenge your thinking.
"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them." —Albert Einstein

Even though the waves of anxiety still come, I am learning I don’t have to fear or dwell or even fix. I can embrace it...because my nervous system is finally working as it should have been all my life. Now, I know I can learn to handle things in healthy ways… and that is truly empowering.

This, isn’t just stopping the use of a chemical, for me - it is a process of peeling off the layers of guilt and shame that I have stacked on and intertwined through the stages of life...it is about forgiving myself ... learning to value myself...breaking the cycle of lying, hiding, pushing people away...even pushing God away.

I am so thankful for this journey, thankful for renewed Faith, thankful to you all who have been a part of it, because …I know... I never would have forced myself to see how deep these roots are without you all. Life is good. Holdin the line. Pressin on. Better person every day. Love you guys. Thank you.

Profound as usual Kaper.  You often describe how I'm feeling and where I'm at better than I can.  As you know, my experience has been similar.  I love where your head is here.  I'm on board!!  I've changed my behavior.  Now it's time to accept the new me...which, has always been, just ME. 

Holding the line with you my friend

~HAG

Offline ankape

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 10.25.2019
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2020, 09:54:26 PM »
     Day 434
   I had never felt some of these things...at times the anxiety, or whatever it is, has felt overwhelming and exhausting. Time after time I tried to find a “reason” why I felt that way. But, I’m finally realizing it’s a part of me… it’s just a part I never felt before. A part of me that I kept in submission with addictions. Most of us were just kids when we began to flood our bodies with chemicals. And we dealt with a lot of things in the time between. I challenge you to challenge your thinking.
"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them." —Albert Einstein

Even though the waves of anxiety still come, I am learning I don’t have to fear or dwell or even fix. I can embrace it...because my nervous system is finally working as it should have been all my life. Now, I know I can learn to handle things in healthy ways… and that is truly empowering.

This, isn’t just stopping the use of a chemical, for me - it is a process of peeling off the layers of guilt and shame that I have stacked on and intertwined through the stages of life...it is about forgiving myself ... learning to value myself...breaking the cycle of lying, hiding, pushing people away...even pushing God away.

I am so thankful for this journey, thankful for renewed Faith, thankful to you all who have been a part of it, because …I know... I never would have forced myself to see how deep these roots are without you all. Life is good. Holdin the line. Pressin on. Better person every day. Love you guys. Thank you.

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1619
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
Day 365

Last night I read a story to my kids about some amazing, heroic rescues. Later, I started reflecting on the efforts...the sacrifices some humans will make to save others, without question. Whether it is many or one, often or rare, whether it is seen or unseen, loudly, quietly, quickly, arduously, however. All are so valuable. This place, this community, and the REAL people behind these screens- save lives...and improve lives...if we choose to allow it.

Humbled. I wish I could start over with the knowledge I’ve gained this year. Knowledge about myself, others and about life in general.  Easy? Definitely not. Regrets?...for sure, but...gotta move forward and appreciate regrets as proof of growth. Worth it? YES!

This experience has improved my life in ways I never could have imagined at this time last year. When I joined, I had two people in my life who knew about my battle with addiction. This year has given me the confidence to open up to friends and family. That was extremely hard at first, I felt so guilty about it, but it has actually healed relationships I didn’t even realize were lacking. This year I get to celebrate with my family and friends! I can’t even express how huge that is for me.
I came here to quit nicotine, but I have to admit- it’s deeper than I realized.
Quitting works one day at a time and so does living.
Congrats @ankape !!!  One year is an amazing feat.  Keep slaying the bitch.

Love this post.  Congrats ankape!   8)
It's so much more.
If we look, we find it.
Great post.
Congrats on the 1 trip around the sun. I'll be back tomorrow to celebrate your quitversary. Roflmao
Excellent post brother. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations. It keeps getting better from here.
Love the post. Keep doing you!!
Jan19

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2020, 04:10:32 AM »
Day 365

Last night I read a story to my kids about some amazing, heroic rescues. Later, I started reflecting on the efforts...the sacrifices some humans will make to save others, without question. Whether it is many or one, often or rare, whether it is seen or unseen, loudly, quietly, quickly, arduously, however. All are so valuable. This place, this community, and the REAL people behind these screens- save lives...and improve lives...if we choose to allow it.

Humbled. I wish I could start over with the knowledge I’ve gained this year. Knowledge about myself, others and about life in general.  Easy? Definitely not. Regrets?...for sure, but...gotta move forward and appreciate regrets as proof of growth. Worth it? YES!

This experience has improved my life in ways I never could have imagined at this time last year. When I joined, I had two people in my life who knew about my battle with addiction. This year has given me the confidence to open up to friends and family. That was extremely hard at first, I felt so guilty about it, but it has actually healed relationships I didn’t even realize were lacking. This year I get to celebrate with my family and friends! I can’t even express how huge that is for me.

It's so much more.
If we look, we find it.
Great post.
Congrats on the 1 trip around the sun. I'll be back tomorrow to celebrate your quitversary. Roflmao
Excellent post brother. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations. It keeps getting better from here.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2012
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
Day 365

It's so much more.
If we look, we find it.
Great post.
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2020, 12:36:24 PM »
Day 365

Although you are exactly 101 days behind me in quit, you are years ahead of me in quit inspiration.  Your last line, "Quitting works one day at a time and so does living", is an absolute truism and something that I need to remind myself of on a daily basis.  As always, your perspective is spot on and timely.  You keep going Girl. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:38:35 PM by EXBEARHAG »

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »
Congratulations on one year free!
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2020, 05:57:21 AM »
Day 365

I labored through a valley of tears for a treasure I wanted to see,
Lo and behold, when my journey was through, the treasure I found was me.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer