Author Topic: New to site and quit  (Read 12753 times)

Offline Aggies94

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 278
Re: New to site and quit
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2021, 11:49:00 AM »
It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. Last time I posted on Introductions I was around 400 days. Today I posted 773. A lot has happened in that time. A pandemic. Some really bad winter storms. Life in general. But I want to share something tonight. My dad was smoking 5 packs/day when I was 6 years old. Chain smoking from the time he woke up til he went to sleep. When I was 6, he had a mini stroke. It scared the crap out of him. He told me later on that he prayed that if God would let him survive it, he would never smoke again. Well, God did spare him and my dad honored his oath to quit. Cold turkey, in the hospital. He never picked up another cigarette again. About 10 years later, I started dipping. My dad didn’t like it, at all. He made it clear that it wasn’t acceptable in his house, so began the sneaking. Of course, my dad didn’t want me to go down the same road he did. Once I graduated high school and moved out, there wasn’t anything he could do about it any more. He would still tell me he wished I would quit. Of course at 19, I knew everything. He was always worried about my health even though he wasn’t the kind of person to hound you about something. I remember after joining KTC, I told him I quit. For good. He told me he was so proud of me. Now, I always knew my dad loved me. It was never a question. But my dad wasn’t the type to just hand out things like that. It really made me feel good to hear that from him. Every once in a while, my dad would ask me what my day count was. He was so supportive and and remains very proud. Of course, I never quit for him or anyone else but myself, but it still helps fuels my resolve. Unfortunately, my dad will not be able to ask me my day count anymore. He had a massive heart attack early Tuesday morning and died. He was a good man. He was the man that I think most of us want to be. A good husband for 53 years to my mom. A good father who taught me that being a real man was more important than money, status or anything else. He taught me the importance of hard work, honesty, integrity and always keeping your word. He taught me there is nothing more important than faith, family and friends. I’m sitting at my parents house right now. In his chair. I can feel him all around me and it hurts that he isn’t here. Saturday, we will bury him. But he is still all around. I can hear his voice. I can envision him walking around this house. I can picture him sound asleep in the very chair that I sit in. The up side is that when he died, he knew that I loved him. Those were the last words I said to him about an hour before he died. He also knew that I was still quit. As I said, I didn’t quit for anyone but me. But knowing the pride he took in that, it helps give me resolve to stay that way. I am honored to have known a man of his stature. Even more so, blessed to have had that man as my father. I was close to my dad and I am proud of everything he did. He was taken from this earth, but when he was I was able to say, “Dad, I’m still quit.” Thank you for allowing me to spill my guts. Please make sure that those you love and care about know it. Swallow pride and put differences aside. You just don’t know when that last conversation will truly be the last. Please don’t end up having regrets that you wished you had said something when you had the chance. This post is in honor of my dad. My quit is my own. But it doesn’t mean that it can’t honor my dad as a secondary.

I will be lifting you up in prayer Dawgs!  I can relate with the difficulty of your loss.

A few things really stand out to me as I read your story honoring your dad.

One, your dad sounds like an amazing man.

Two, your dad raised and amazing man.

Proud to be quit with you Dawgs.

Sorry for your loss brother.

-Jeff
@Dawgs You have a family that cares about you. Use us as needed. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
So sorry for your loss, Dawgs. Thoughts and prayers sent your way. There us nothing like the pride a father has in his son. I'm glad you had that pride from your father.
It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living!

Online Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1891
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. Last time I posted on Introductions I was around 400 days. Today I posted 773. A lot has happened in that time. A pandemic. Some really bad winter storms. Life in general. But I want to share something tonight. My dad was smoking 5 packs/day when I was 6 years old. Chain smoking from the time he woke up til he went to sleep. When I was 6, he had a mini stroke. It scared the crap out of him. He told me later on that he prayed that if God would let him survive it, he would never smoke again. Well, God did spare him and my dad honored his oath to quit. Cold turkey, in the hospital. He never picked up another cigarette again. About 10 years later, I started dipping. My dad didn’t like it, at all. He made it clear that it wasn’t acceptable in his house, so began the sneaking. Of course, my dad didn’t want me to go down the same road he did. Once I graduated high school and moved out, there wasn’t anything he could do about it any more. He would still tell me he wished I would quit. Of course at 19, I knew everything. He was always worried about my health even though he wasn’t the kind of person to hound you about something. I remember after joining KTC, I told him I quit. For good. He told me he was so proud of me. Now, I always knew my dad loved me. It was never a question. But my dad wasn’t the type to just hand out things like that. It really made me feel good to hear that from him. Every once in a while, my dad would ask me what my day count was. He was so supportive and and remains very proud. Of course, I never quit for him or anyone else but myself, but it still helps fuels my resolve. Unfortunately, my dad will not be able to ask me my day count anymore. He had a massive heart attack early Tuesday morning and died. He was a good man. He was the man that I think most of us want to be. A good husband for 53 years to my mom. A good father who taught me that being a real man was more important than money, status or anything else. He taught me the importance of hard work, honesty, integrity and always keeping your word. He taught me there is nothing more important than faith, family and friends. I’m sitting at my parents house right now. In his chair. I can feel him all around me and it hurts that he isn’t here. Saturday, we will bury him. But he is still all around. I can hear his voice. I can envision him walking around this house. I can picture him sound asleep in the very chair that I sit in. The up side is that when he died, he knew that I loved him. Those were the last words I said to him about an hour before he died. He also knew that I was still quit. As I said, I didn’t quit for anyone but me. But knowing the pride he took in that, it helps give me resolve to stay that way. I am honored to have known a man of his stature. Even more so, blessed to have had that man as my father. I was close to my dad and I am proud of everything he did. He was taken from this earth, but when he was I was able to say, “Dad, I’m still quit.” Thank you for allowing me to spill my guts. Please make sure that those you love and care about know it. Swallow pride and put differences aside. You just don’t know when that last conversation will truly be the last. Please don’t end up having regrets that you wished you had said something when you had the chance. This post is in honor of my dad. My quit is my own. But it doesn’t mean that it can’t honor my dad as a secondary.

I will be lifting you up in prayer Dawgs!  I can relate with the difficulty of your loss.

-Jeff
@Dawgs You have a family that cares about you. Use us as needed. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Jan19

Offline JeffH4257

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 11-15-2020
  • Likes Given: 1031
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2021, 09:20:03 AM »

-Jeff

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
  • Quit Date: 02/28/2020
  • Interests: Georgia Southern football and baseball, outdoor stuff, movies, music
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2021, 08:11:20 AM »
@Dawgs, lifting prayers for you and your family, my brother. Your father lives on in you each and every day, and we all know you will continue to make him proud. God bless you, my friend.
Renegade of Quit
"For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die." - Ulysses, Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • LTBE- Quittin since 12/30/20
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
  • Likes Given: 1868
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2021, 07:51:24 AM »
     I am sending my prayers to you and yours Dawg, just hearing you talk about your dad and your quit strengthens mine. if you need anything please PM me. Lifes Circle is scary and beautiful all in the same instance and you got yourself one lucky star my friend. God Bless and easy the pain of such a hard loss.
I may not be a smart man, but I know what quit is! -Quitest Gump-
     -Don't plan for the future, Quit for today!-
"The way to get started is to (quit) talking and begin doing." Walt Disney
~you cant plan your quit you just have to do it, both feet free fall.~
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline Dawgs

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/5/2019
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2021, 10:35:44 PM »

Offline Firebird

• Quitter
  • Interests: I love the countryside, and now me and my Husband have moved to Scotland where he has found his dream job as a Conservation Forest Ranger. I breed chinchillas too - just getting started again now since the move.
  • Likes Given: 257
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 06:22:20 PM »
Jeezzz-400 days nicotine free. That’s something I never thought possible. I look back over the past 400 days and realize that each day has been a battle unto itself. The mantra....One Day At A Time. ODAAT. I am an impatient guy. I want it now. The truth is though, to be quit is only ever gonna be a ODAAT thing. Maybe that’s what led me here. To not just be quit, but to learn that in life, the things that are best for us usually take time. We’ve all heard the saying “The best things come to those who wait”. I always thought that was a load of crap. Maybe I’m the one who was full of crap. As an addict, by nature, we only think of ourselves. Our next fix. My mind is definitely an addict mind. I have an addictive personality. That’s something I will always have to keep close tabs on. But, I gotta tell ya, being nicotine free, next to having my girls, is the best feeling I’ve ever had. Even on the suck days, the suck is better than the nicotine EVER was. I’d love to sit here and say it’s been 400 days and I will get 400 more, but we all know that we can only go ODAAT. I think that’s part of the healing process though. Many people get impatient and stop quitting. But I have found that each time I make it through a situation that I would have normally dipped, it’s a new piece of wiring placed in my brain that doesn’t involve nicotine. I had to see that when we quit, we have to learn how to exist all over again. Once I accepted that, it hasn’t been all roses, but it has been a lot more bearable. There are several folks that have been instrumental to my quit that I want to recognize. @Bgbdbrd @Justin J @UncleRico @Mlovell336 @Vfman @MikeW2018 @Bug Guy @Hilltop @Allpuck @Keith0617. You guys have helped me more than you’ll ever know along the way. I am grateful and thankful for each of you. From listening to me bitch to kicking me in the ass, you’ve been there the whole way. Thank you. I’ve typed long enough, but I wanted to give thanks to these guys that have helped me and to give a little reflection of 400 days of no nicotine.

Dawgs, as a newbie who is setting out on this journey at 12 days quit you inspire me.

What an amazing post - love your insight! Congratulations on 400 days of freedom. :)

Offline Bug Guy

• REMF
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Just a squirrel trying to get a nut
  • Quit Date: 1-4-19
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Hunting, Hiking, Hanging with the family
  • Likes Given: 2427
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 09:15:28 AM »
Jeezzz-400 days nicotine free. That’s something I never thought possible. I look back over the past 400 days and realize that each day has been a battle unto itself. The mantra....One Day At A Time. ODAAT. I am an impatient guy. I want it now. The truth is though, to be quit is only ever gonna be a ODAAT thing. Maybe that’s what led me here. To not just be quit, but to learn that in life, the things that are best for us usually take time. We’ve all heard the saying “The best things come to those who wait”. I always thought that was a load of crap. Maybe I’m the one who was full of crap. As an addict, by nature, we only think of ourselves. Our next fix. My mind is definitely an addict mind. I have an addictive personality. That’s something I will always have to keep close tabs on. But, I gotta tell ya, being nicotine free, next to having my girls, is the best feeling I’ve ever had. Even on the suck days, the suck is better than the nicotine EVER was. I’d love to sit here and say it’s been 400 days and I will get 400 more, but we all know that we can only go ODAAT. I think that’s part of the healing process though. Many people get impatient and stop quitting. But I have found that each time I make it through a situation that I would have normally dipped, it’s a new piece of wiring placed in my brain that doesn’t involve nicotine. I had to see that when we quit, we have to learn how to exist all over again. Once I accepted that, it hasn’t been all roses, but it has been a lot more bearable. There are several folks that have been instrumental to my quit that I want to recognize. @Bgbdbrd @Justin J @UncleRico @Mlovell336 @Vfman @MikeW2018 @Bug Guy @Hilltop @Allpuck @Keith0617. You guys have helped me more than you’ll ever know along the way. I am grateful and thankful for each of you. From listening to me bitch to kicking me in the ass, you’ve been there the whole way. Thank you. I’ve typed long enough, but I wanted to give thanks to these guys that have helped me and to give a little reflection of 400 days of no nicotine.
You can always type as much as you want or need @Dawgs .  Your take on addict thinking and behavior is spot on and now we have a daily reprieve if we maintain it.  Thanks for the perspective and Quit insight this AM.... proud to be quit with ya.
Keep doing you @Dawgs . Proud to quit with you and have you in my circle.
Nathan, as always, you're my dawg. Congrats on reaching 400. Hard to think we've made it this far. Be proud brother, you are kicking nic's ass daily and helping others do so as well. Thank you for all of your support along the way, you've helped my quit just as much.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

INTRO | HOF SPEECH | HOF WRITEUP
QUIT 1/4/19 HOF 4/13/19 2ND FLOOR 7/22/19 3RD FLOOR 10/30/19 4TH FLOOR 2/7/20 5TH FLOOR 5/17/20 6TH FLOOR 8/25/20 7TH FLOOR 12/3/20 8TH FLOOR 3/13/21 9TH FLOOR 6/21/21 DANGLE FLOOR 9/29/21 11TH FLOOR 1/7/22 12TH FLOOR 4/17/22

Online Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1891
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 08:03:00 AM »
You can always type as much as you want or need @Dawgs .  Your take on addict thinking and behavior is spot on and now we have a daily reprieve if we maintain it.  Thanks for the perspective and Quit insight this AM.... proud to be quit with ya.
Keep doing you @Dawgs . Proud to quit with you and have you in my circle.
Jan19

Offline Allpuck

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Interests: My Son, Hockey, Drumming, Golf, Wife...in that order?
  • Likes Given: 384
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 07:46:38 AM »

Offline Dawgs

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2020, 07:12:28 AM »

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 04:36:22 PM »
Man-what a start to the year. Yesterday, we buried my wife’s grandfather. He was pretty good dude. Loved to hunt and fish. I’ll miss that guy. This morning, my wife and I went to the home of a older gentleman who both my wife and I have looked up to for a long time. He is a very good man. Very kind, the kind of man you want to look up to. We went to his home to tell him good bye. He had cancer that we thought was under control, but it quickly, 2 weeks ago, exploded and metastasized to most of his body. We were able to have a bit of time to sit with him, hold his hand and thank him for the example he has left us with. As if I ever needed another reason to not pick up nicotine again, this was a man who never smoked, never chewed, never even drank. He lived a very clean life. I’ve been in healthcare for 20 years, I know cancer can strike anyone, regardless of lifestyle. It makes wonder though, why, after 25 years of putting poison in me, am I, at least to this point, totally unscathed. I don’t know. But as I said, not that I needed another reason...but there it is. If I took a dip...how selfish would that be? That would completely NOT honor my friend and example. I just needed to get this off my brain. But also remind us all that life is short. We have to enjoy our families and friends and NOT let some freakin stupid plant or chemical control our lives. Thanks for “listening”.
Thanks for sharing Nathan. Sorry to hear about the tragic news you have dealt with in such a short amount of time. But you are absolutely correct. Nicotine will never help in ANY situation. So there's no reason to even ponder it. Living in the past is a waste of time amd thinking of the future is pointless. If we take every aspect of our life and hold it to the ODAAT model, we live a much more fruitful life. Enjoy the now, for tomorrow is never promised. Love ya bro and proud to be quit with you.... even if you are a sec douche lol
Powerful testimony Dawgs, thanks for sharing that. Every day, every life is a gift. It is horrible indeed to squander it. Having gone through the quit, I hope he all learn to cherish not just life but a free life even more so. Thanks again.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Bug Guy

• REMF
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Just a squirrel trying to get a nut
  • Quit Date: 1-4-19
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Hunting, Hiking, Hanging with the family
  • Likes Given: 2427
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »
Man-what a start to the year. Yesterday, we buried my wife’s grandfather. He was pretty good dude. Loved to hunt and fish. I’ll miss that guy. This morning, my wife and I went to the home of a older gentleman who both my wife and I have looked up to for a long time. He is a very good man. Very kind, the kind of man you want to look up to. We went to his home to tell him good bye. He had cancer that we thought was under control, but it quickly, 2 weeks ago, exploded and metastasized to most of his body. We were able to have a bit of time to sit with him, hold his hand and thank him for the example he has left us with. As if I ever needed another reason to not pick up nicotine again, this was a man who never smoked, never chewed, never even drank. He lived a very clean life. I’ve been in healthcare for 20 years, I know cancer can strike anyone, regardless of lifestyle. It makes wonder though, why, after 25 years of putting poison in me, am I, at least to this point, totally unscathed. I don’t know. But as I said, not that I needed another reason...but there it is. If I took a dip...how selfish would that be? That would completely NOT honor my friend and example. I just needed to get this off my brain. But also remind us all that life is short. We have to enjoy our families and friends and NOT let some freakin stupid plant or chemical control our lives. Thanks for “listening”.
Thanks for sharing Nathan. Sorry to hear about the tragic news you have dealt with in such a short amount of time. But you are absolutely correct. Nicotine will never help in ANY situation. So there's no reason to even ponder it. Living in the past is a waste of time amd thinking of the future is pointless. If we take every aspect of our life and hold it to the ODAAT model, we live a much more fruitful life. Enjoy the now, for tomorrow is never promised. Love ya bro and proud to be quit with you.... even if you are a sec douche lol
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

INTRO | HOF SPEECH | HOF WRITEUP
QUIT 1/4/19 HOF 4/13/19 2ND FLOOR 7/22/19 3RD FLOOR 10/30/19 4TH FLOOR 2/7/20 5TH FLOOR 5/17/20 6TH FLOOR 8/25/20 7TH FLOOR 12/3/20 8TH FLOOR 3/13/21 9TH FLOOR 6/21/21 DANGLE FLOOR 9/29/21 11TH FLOOR 1/7/22 12TH FLOOR 4/17/22

Offline Dawgs

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 02:16:09 PM »

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
  • Quit Date: 1/7/2018
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
Jeesh—-just realized it’s been a while since I posted anything in my intro. Maybe now is the time for a quick reflection. It’s Christmas Eve, 0515, and I’m wide awake. Yes, partially because I have to go to work for a while today, but the last few weeks have been getting harder and harder to sleep. I posted day 323 today. I thought by now things would be all in the past. Truth is, I feel worse now than I did weeks 1, 2 or 3. For some reason, depression, anger and hatred for many things have been showing their ugly heads lately. Very little patients with my family. Walking a fine line at work. Really just disengaged from everything, including here. I know it’s probably just a stage to go through, but damn....why? Almost a year quit and it feels not so great. I don’t regret quitting. I have NO intentions of caving. I certainly don’t want to let anyone down, especially myself. I know deep down things will get better. I just have to hold tight and lean on everyone here to help me out. Slow and steady wins the race. Sometimes slow and steady just sucks I guess. Not really sure where I’m going with this, but I’ll just end it here with a big thank you to my brothers in May19 along with @Justin J and a couple others from May17 for riding my ass and not letting go. Merry Christmas Eve and here’s to better times ahead.

My personal experience has been that I get some mild cravings and irritability if I each too much sugar.  I can eat just a few pieces of candy and I suddenly start thinking about how nice it would be to have a chew.  Then I get what feels like a withdrawal headache that can last for a couple of hours.  I was worried that I might be diabetic, but the doc checked me out and said I was perfectly fine.  Sugary foods and drinks are the only things that seem to affect me like that.  If I can stay away from sweets for a couple of days I feel just fine again.  It is weird to think that I have been quit for almost two years and something as simple as a Snickers bar can make me feel like I am on Day 2 again.  So, I just try to avoid any and all sugary treats now.  It works for me and I honestly don't miss them much.  Stay strong, my friend. 

"No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
"That's what's great about the outdoors, you know. It's one giant toilet."
"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23