Author Topic: July 09 Quitters  (Read 15988 times)

Offline Brad64

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: July 09 Quitters
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Quote from: DeanTheCunt
For those of us who have been on the can for 15+ years, I suppose it does come down to quitting or dying. I don't feel like dying, so quitting is my only option.

A long time ago, I told myself that it would suck to be in my 30s, still dipping, dying of cancer. Well, now I'm in my 30s. I don't have cancer, and I am not dying. That's good. I owe it to whoever or whatever to stop pushing my fucking luck. I need to get ahead of this before it kills me.

And you know what I try to keep in mind? As depressing as it is to think of a world without tobacco (and by God...the sense of loss I get when trying to quit is vicious), it's much more depressing to think about saying goodbye to my one-year-old.

Anyway, I run the risk of blabbing because this is the first time I have tried to quit in more than three years, and this is day three for me. (I spent day one on the patch, but I went pure nicotine-free yesterday.) Needless to say, I barely know where I am right now. I am plowed with withdrawal. I could very easily verbally assault and bring to tears anyone who comes near me, and afterward demolish this office building with my bare hands and teeth. I think I WOULD like to do that, actually.
Yep. That's pretty much it. Quit or die.

I'm day 4. Welcome to hell. Of course you already know that.

Don't worry about blabbing. Blab all you fucking want. These guys don't care. Go to the chat room too. Blab there. Curse, scream, yell. Hell I threatened to burn down an orphanage this morning for a fucking chew.

My brother sent me this email this morning when I told him I had survived another day:

It would suck for you to give up now...
Want me to call you a pansy ass for the rest of your life? Or would you rather be able to annoy the hell out of me by saying shit like, "you know you really should quit that, look at what I did"....

Yeah. I think I'll choose to annoy the shit out of my brother (who smokes like a train).

My father died from prostate cancer when he was 57.

My mother died from breast cancer when she was 62.

I'm 44 and I been chewing for over 20 years. You do the math...

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: July 09 Quitters
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Congrats on a good start of your quit! You can do this.

Read this very carefully: You are not giving up anything by quitting tobacco.

The sense of loss is false and will go away soon. It took a couple of weeks for me but looking back from 74 days into my quit that's NOTHING.

I'm also a parent in my 30's - used cope 12+ years. About a week into my quit, it occurred to me that I'm going to live to see my daughter grow up! I'm going to get to know my daughter longer than I've known tobacco! Think about that - no more anxiety about how your family is going to survive after you die of cancer.

I see that you've made it over to the July 09 HOF group. Post up a day-2 because this is your second day off of nicotine. If you can't figure out how to post roll call through the fog, just post your name and the quit day you're on, and someone will add you to the list. Or follow this link to learn how to post roll. When you post, you're giving your promise not to use tobacco or nicotine in any form today. Keep your promise, then come back tomorrow and do it again.

One last thing: DO NOT take out your rage on those around you. Come here and take it out on us. We like it.

Offline DeanTheCoot

• Quitter
  • Interests: reading, eating, walking, running, fishing, Freemasonry, coffee, pussy, hunting, motorcycles, history, badminton, trees
  • Likes Given: 1
July 09 Quitters
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
For those of us who have been on the can for 15+ years, I suppose it does come down to quitting or dying. I don't feel like dying, so quitting is my only option.

A long time ago, I told myself that it would suck to be in my 30s, still dipping, dying of cancer. Well, now I'm in my 30s. I don't have cancer, and I am not dying. That's good. I owe it to whoever or whatever to stop pushing my fucking luck. I need to get ahead of this before it kills me.

And you know what I try to keep in mind? As depressing as it is to think of a world without tobacco (and by God...the sense of loss I get when trying to quit is vicious), it's much more depressing to think about saying goodbye to my one-year-old.

Anyway, I run the risk of blabbing because this is the first time I have tried to quit in more than three years, and this is day three for me. (I spent day one on the patch, but I went pure nicotine-free yesterday.) Needless to say, I barely know where I am right now. I am plowed with withdrawal. I could very easily verbally assault and bring to tears anyone who comes near me, and afterward demolish this office building with my bare hands and teeth. I think I WOULD like to do that, actually.