Author Topic: Starting Again  (Read 4545 times)

Offline MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4333
Re: Starting Again
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:45:43 AM »
I've attempted to quit many times, once for more than 6 months. Every time I pick it back up again and with more vengeance, chewing more and keeping it in longer than I did previously. I coach high school football and that is a trigger for me to chew. I'm done. I have two small children, that don't see me chew often, but when they do they ask me what is in my lip. I'm tired of lying and hiding this awful addiction from them. My wife is incredibly laid back and has never really come out and asked me to quit, but I know that she obviously wants me to stop. I read a post on a football forum in my home state that hit me like a ton of bricks and although I have a chew in my mouth right now (can't spit it out until my students are gone) i'm ready to be done. This is my final chew. I'm going home tonight and throwing away the log I just purchased. Thanks for your time. I have much to learn, and I don't know where this will take me, but I pledge to quit today.
Welcome @jbuck0506! And congrats on making the best decision ever - to break free from the chains of addiction and take your life back one day at a time.

For starters, go to the January 2021 group and post roll. Posting roll is something we do here each and every morning right when we wake up. It's our promise to ourselves and our fellow quitters that we will remain tobacco/nicotine free for the next 24 hours come hell or high water. Quitting for forever is mentally too daunting. That is why we quit for TODAY. Anyone can quit for 24 hours. This method is proven and will work if you dive in and give 100%.

Make sure to flush whatever poison you have left. Throwing it away still allows for you to go and retrieve it from the trash. Flushing is more effective and completely eliminates whatever nicotine products you had.

Also, start to share your digits with your fellow quitters using the "My Messages" tab (or envelope icon if you are on mobile) and begin to create an accountability network. As the header says: Brotherhood + Accountability = Success. We have all come here because we couldn't quit on our own. So be ready to form relationships, hold people accountability and let other people hold you accountable.

Finally, make sure you are quitting for yourself. This is time where it is ok to be selfish. I have a wife and small children as well but heaven forbid something happens to them and I've attached my quit to them. At that point, I could argue there is no reason to remain quit. But since I have quit for myself, I will always have reason to make sure my name is on roll each and every day and I honor my promise to myself and the KTC community.

The next few days are going to suck so get ready. Drink a ton of water and find ways to curb the oral fixation whether that be with sunflower seeds, gum, altoids, candy, toothpicks or even fake dip as long as it had zero tobacco or nicotine (common brands include Grinds, Smokey Mountain, Baccoff, Jakes, Teaza). You can do this!
Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline jbuck0506

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
    • HOF Speech
  • Quit Date: 10/21/2020
  • Interests: Family, friends, football, sports, playing guitar, woodworking, hunting
  • Likes Given: 250
Starting Again
« on: October 21, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »
I've attempted to quit many times, once for more than 6 months. Every time I pick it back up again and with more vengeance, chewing more and keeping it in longer than I did previously. I coach high school football and that is a trigger for me to chew. I'm done. I have two small children, that don't see me chew often, but when they do they ask me what is in my lip. I'm tired of lying and hiding this awful addiction from them. My wife is incredibly laid back and has never really come out and asked me to quit, but I know that she obviously wants me to stop. I read a post on a football forum in my home state that hit me like a ton of bricks and although I have a chew in my mouth right now (can't spit it out until my students are gone) i'm ready to be done. This is my final chew. I'm going home tonight and throwing away the log I just purchased. Thanks for your time. I have much to learn, and I don't know where this will take me, but I pledge to quit today.