Author Topic: Not too late  (Read 3507 times)

Offline rgross298

• Quitter
  • F Tobacco.
  • Quit Date: 02/19/2012
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Not too late
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Quote from: ninereasons
Day 417

Blood work for insurance came back with good news.

After 402 days quit, I was bumped from "Choice Non-smoker" to "Preferred Non-smoker", meaning: I was a customer whose business they won't refuse, and now I'm one whose business they will work to keep.

That's because I am, to a scientific certainty, that much healthier than I used to be.

Are you quit?
That is great news, congrats!

Also, good to know that the Death Panel at the Insurance Companies are starting to look at you profitably and favorably.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Day 417

After 402 days quit, I was bumped from "Choice Non-smoker" to "Preferred Non-smoker", meaning: I was a customer whose business they won't refuse, and now I'm one whose business they will work to keep.

That's because I am, to a scientific certainty, that much healthier than I used to be.

Are you quit?
:)

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Congrats bud. The world is validating your decision!

I quit with you today.

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quit
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
Day 417

Are you quit?

Offline Tiburonbob

• Quitter
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Nine, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I can relate to your health concerns. 28 teeth is what we start with. I am down to 27 and will be losing one more pretty soon. I can drive a Mack truck between my teeth and gums. I hate myself for what I have done to my mouth. My taste buds are ruined. My gums are so sensitive to texture that most foods feel too strange to eat. After 2 beers my mouth becomes so bitter to taste Im done. This is what I have done to myself. A month ago I wrote out my HOF speech explaining all this but it got so bitter of a speech I never posted it. I am quit with you. Today and tomorrow.

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Nine....

This morning when I found out a sadness came over me...a friend, a brother had fallen in this battle. As you point out, it reminds us of our vulnerability, and that scares us. Causes us to be more vigilant. And in a weird way that failure fuels our success.

As we near the time that taps is sounded for 3 November 2011, you and I won yet another victory. We fought today against our addiction, and we have been awarded a decisive victory. Congratulations my friend, we live to fight another day.

I will see you tomorrow at roll, Lord willing.

Dale

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
One of my favorite can killers surrendered today, which naturally reawakens the question of if that might happen to me.

Not having chew in my mouth as I used to for every waking moment of most of my life makes me more keenly aware of what I'm missing. I poke the gaps on the plug-side of my mouth, where once I had teeth. I brush literally a half-dozen times a day - as though I'm trying to undo the damage. I miss sleeping on my left side, which hasn't been comfortable for years now because of the damage done to my esophagus. I do miss those things.

I no longer have the headaches and edginess that would come around every time that I didn't put tobacco in my face first thing in the morning. I'm no longer digging in the couch or in my wife's purse or a piggy bank to find quarters as I used to when I unexpectedly ran short of cash for a can. It's been hundreds of days since I snapped at my kids for digging through my jacket pockets to find car keys (where I had left a pouch of Redman that I didn't want them to know about). I don't have chew in my life anymore, but at least I have countless memories like that to comfort me.

Tough decision. Aaargh ... so hard! But, uh ... all things considered, I quit again today. As hard as it's going to be, I'll just have to get used to what I'm missing.

Day 262

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Quote from: bigbamadan
Damn you Reese's peanut butter Cup.  Why do you have to be so delicious?
Mule has a support group for this....I sugest you contact him ASAP.

Good idea.

Offline bigbamadan

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-03-23
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Damn you Reese's peanut butter Cup. Why do you have to be so delicious?
Mule has a support group for this....I sugest you contact him ASAP.
Quit: 3/23/10
All good things in all good time.

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Quote from: Aglawyer
Congrats on your accomplishment - just read the thread and your journey. I'm a 21 year dipper, on day 9 quit now. I like reading the stories of others to put a little more fire in my gut to motivate me and yours was a good one.

Thanks. It doesn't really come across in those early posts how scared I was that I would fail and that there was nothing I could do about it.

Offline AgLawyer

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Travelin, hikin, liftin and quittin
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Congrats on your accomplishment - just read the thread and your journey. I'm a 21 year dipper, on day 9 quit now. I like reading the stories of others to put a little more fire in my gut to motivate me and yours was a good one.

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Day 171

I was working out faithfully for months after I quit dipping, but my weight continued to climb. Then my achilles' tendon started to swell. I had to knock off running. I feel huge.

Damn you Reese's peanut butter Cup. Why do you have to be so delicious?

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Your experience gives me hope. thanks Nine.
The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Good stuff there nine. Freedom is becoming more free...
I've paid a great price in the service of chew. I've always known that. But it's only as the weight lifts off me that I really get a measure of what a tremendous burden I'd been carrying, of physical and psychological strain, and the load on my conscience too.

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »
Good stuff there nine. Freedom is becoming more free...