Author Topic: My introduction  (Read 8899 times)

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quit Date: October 23, 2022
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: My introduction
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
"Those of us who watched the Lunar Voyage of Apollo 11 were transfixed as we saw the first men walk on the moon and return to earth. Superlatives such as "fantastic" and "incredible" were inadequate to describe those eventful days. But to get there, those astronauts literally had to break out of the tremendous gravity pull of the earth. More energy was spent in the first few minutes of lift-off, in the first few miles of travel, than was used over the next several days to travel half a million miles."

For those just quitting, the beginning is the hardest part, but once you build momentum and maintain your quit, you'll be well on your way.
Never Again For Any Reason
One Day At A Time

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 08:31:25 PM »
280 days quit.

Can’t believe it’s been over 100 days since I’ve last posted here. Anyways, if y’all don’t mind, I would like to use y’all as a sounding board for a thought I have.

This quarantine has given me an extended time to really think about what I want to accomplish in my life and what I care about. To cut to the chase, I feel like I need to stop drinking forever. I wouldn’t call myself an alcoholic (although I’ve consumed frequently and during college I never shied away from opportunities to indulge), but my family has had alcoholics and I have seen the damage alcoholism can do. A lot of good people never rise to their potential because they can’t escape from the clutches of alcohol.

Some of y’all may know this, but I’m 23 years old. My main concerns with not drinking is that when I’m out with friends who are drinking, I don’t want to make people feel uncomfortable because I’m abstaining. I don’t know.

Anyways, I’m sure some people here have some great insight on this, so what do y’all think?
There's an alcohol slowdown and an alcohol quit page. I encourage you to check it out. Given the staggering cost of alcohol and its secondary effects on people and our society, it is amazing it's still legal. I found the alcohol cessation very different and far more difficult in many respects. A friend likes to say everyone's rock bottom is different. Some have to lose everything first; others need only witness someone else auger in to realize the need to pull up. With respect to the effect on a the group around you, did you ever feel awkward drinking in front of some one who wasn't? I know it never bothered me. More booze for me is how I viewed that one. Not anymore. I'm sure you know the one who thinks they're the life of the party but is really an asshole. Maybe you're that guy, maybe not. One thing is for sure - something has made you question how you use alcohol. I encourage you to keep digging until you find an answer on this one. Alcohol is not your friend.

Thanks for your input, I really value the info here. I started posting in alcohol slow down a couple days ago. I think that’s where I need to be while I’m figuring this issue out.
BG, to take another stance, but not to change your plans. At about 28 years old, I decided I hated being hung over. I also decided that I hated losing control of anything. I changed everything about how I treated alcohol. Rarely do I have more than one or 2 drinks in an evening. There were plenty of days in my youth that I would drink till I blacked out or got myself into serious trouble. Moderation has worked well for me for the last 22 years. I met some KTC quitters 1.5 years ago that were so pumped up to "get drunk" with me. When I told them that's not what I do, they just couldn't understand. You know you and you know your needs and priorities, so In the end, take this time to figure out where you want to be. Everyone else has had some good advice and I do t want to take away from any of that, just adding in another perspective
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 08:06:49 PM »
280 days quit.

Can’t believe it’s been over 100 days since I’ve last posted here. Anyways, if y’all don’t mind, I would like to use y’all as a sounding board for a thought I have.

This quarantine has given me an extended time to really think about what I want to accomplish in my life and what I care about. To cut to the chase, I feel like I need to stop drinking forever. I wouldn’t call myself an alcoholic (although I’ve consumed frequently and during college I never shied away from opportunities to indulge), but my family has had alcoholics and I have seen the damage alcoholism can do. A lot of good people never rise to their potential because they can’t escape from the clutches of alcohol.

Some of y’all may know this, but I’m 23 years old. My main concerns with not drinking is that when I’m out with friends who are drinking, I don’t want to make people feel uncomfortable because I’m abstaining. I don’t know.

Anyways, I’m sure some people here have some great insight on this, so what do y’all think?
There's an alcohol slowdown and an alcohol quit page. I encourage you to check it out. Given the staggering cost of alcohol and its secondary effects on people and our society, it is amazing it's still legal. I found the alcohol cessation very different and far more difficult in many respects. A friend likes to say everyone's rock bottom is different. Some have to lose everything first; others need only witness someone else auger in to realize the need to pull up. With respect to the effect on a the group around you, did you ever feel awkward drinking in front of some one who wasn't? I know it never bothered me. More booze for me is how I viewed that one. Not anymore. I'm sure you know the one who thinks they're the life of the party but is really an asshole. Maybe you're that guy, maybe not. One thing is for sure - something has made you question how you use alcohol. I encourage you to keep digging until you find an answer on this one. Alcohol is not your friend.

Thanks for your input, I really value the info here. I started posting in alcohol slow down a couple days ago. I think that’s where I need to be while I’m figuring this issue out.
One Day At A Time

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 12:32:46 PM »
280 days quit.

"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »
280 days quit.

Brother happy to help with this. Just be you and do what you want. I’m here if you want assistance.

I appreciate the support, I’m going to take this ODAAT. Then at some point down the road after a certain amount of days I’ll decide if I want to remain sober or go for actual moderation with alcohol.
One Day At A Time

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1619
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 11:22:03 PM »
280 days quit.

Brother happy to help with this. Just be you and do what you want. I’m here if you want assistance.
Jan19

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 09:43:07 PM »
280 days quit.

One Day At A Time

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 05:25:19 PM »
174 days quit.

Happy to announce my law school admissions journey is now over. I’ll be attending a law school in Tennessee with a focus on international law and also participating in their dual degree program to earn a MA political science as well. Glad to have been quit through this journey with all of you.

Congrats BG.  Well deserved I'm sure.  Bet you didn't think you could do it without your worm dirt.  Happy for you my friend.  You'll kill it. 
~HAG

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 05:21:55 PM »
174 days quit.

Happy to announce my law school admissions journey is now over. I’ll be attending a law school in Tennessee with a focus on international law and also participating in their dual degree program to earn a MA political science as well. Glad to have been quit through this journey with all of you.
One Day At A Time

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 02:00:59 AM »
Nothing major to report, but I just had an epiphany oddly enough.

I'm 148 days quit from nicotine and tobacco, and this just kinda occured to me. I was thinking of other problems and then I realized that I've parted ways with one of the worst decisions I've ever made and a huge relief just washed over me. Being quit is awesome guys!
One Day At A Time

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 10:02:30 PM »
Going into day 134:

I have come a long way since day 66. I still struggle, but I am in a better place in my quit than before. Just winning the battle one day at a time.

Last week I took the law school admissions test for the second and last time. The first time I took the test was 10 days before my quit and I had a pouch in the entire 3.5 hours of the test (ridiculous right?). Leading up to this second time, I was worried how I would handle my quit through the test.

Now that I am over the hump, I think I surprised even myself, I didn't think about nicotine or tobacco once during test day. I think I improved my score as well. I am in a fantastic place with my quit right now but I will never be content. I'm thankful to be quit with each of you.

Maybe the next time I update here I will know where I will be starting the next chapter of my life. Stay tuned!

ODAAT
One Day At A Time

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
Going into day 66:

This is just going to be a late night/early morning ramble
(October quitters and some others may know that I tend to have a strange sleep schedule occasionally, this is not due to the quit)
Earlier in this thread my great fear was my quit-fog never subsiding or not subsiding fast enough. I can say with certainty that I haven’t experienced the fog since around the mid 40s day-count. I feel a lot sharper now that I’ve emerged from the other side of the physical withdrawals. I’ve been performing better in life. My anger outbursts and mood fluctuations that I frequently experienced for many weeks have now become less frequent and more under my control.

I wish I could’ve handled my early quit better but it is what it is, I’m still quit and I’m improving. On that note, today I had a thought go through my head:
“Wow you wasted a lot of time during that first many weeks of the quit, you could’ve made more progress in the things you’re working on.”
This is a flawed thought, that time wasn’t wasted. My main priority in life during that time shifted entirely to my quit and some days it took all of my energy. I believe this entirely necessary, I needed to back off of other priorities in order to succeed early on in my quit. This scope shift probably saved and changed my life  forever. Now my quit is still a high priority, but now I’m able to handle it along with other facets of my life with more grace.

Also, today I completed and submitted my first of many law school applications.
I remember in May thinking “you can’t quit during the fall, you’ll be stressed and need relief from the application season!”
Au contraire, I’m very thankful to be quit right now.
Loved and edified by that. Something powerful about seeing another man, a fellow human being on a right trajectory. God speed.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »
Going into day 66:

(October quitters and some others may know that I tend to have a strange sleep schedule occasionally, this is not due to the quit)
Earlier in this thread my great fear was my quit-fog never subsiding or not subsiding fast enough. I can say with certainty that I haven’t experienced the fog since around the mid 40s day-count. I feel a lot sharper now that I’ve emerged from the other side of the physical withdrawals. I’ve been performing better in life. My anger outbursts and mood fluctuations that I frequently experienced for many weeks have now become less frequent and more under my control.

I wish I could’ve handled my early quit better but it is what it is, I’m still quit and I’m improving. On that note, today I had a thought go through my head:
“Wow you wasted a lot of time during that first many weeks of the quit, you could’ve made more progress in the things you’re working on.”
This is a flawed thought, that time wasn’t wasted. My main priority in life during that time shifted entirely to my quit and some days it took all of my energy. I believe this entirely necessary, I needed to back off of other priorities in order to succeed early on in my quit. This scope shift probably saved and changed my life  forever. Now my quit is still a high priority, but now I’m able to handle it along with other facets of my life with more grace.

I remember in May thinking “you can’t quit during the fall, you’ll be stressed and need relief from the application season!”

Well said young Padawan.  The journey of ones quit is different for everyone but none are a waste of time, but are actually a gainer of time in most cases for you have hopefully added many more years on to the end of your life by ridding yourself of that vile poison now.
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 05:22:30 AM »
Going into day 66:

One Day At A Time

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 01:54:56 AM »
***Repost from my October BAQ Thread***

I started using fake chew around day 33, it helps with my mouth boredom. Fake chew makes me feel like I'm cheating and it totally defeats the cravings for me, I use it whenever I'm studying. Fake chew also makes me less of an asshole in real life as well. I'm not stressing about getting off of my substitute at the moment because I feel like that will happen with time, and as long as its not nicotine or tobacco its fair game. My chewing addiction was very under the radar, very few people outside of my inner circle knew that I chewed at all. So, most of the times in public I'm not using my substitute nor do I really have a desire to because I was always uncomfortable chewing real chew in public.

I thought that was interesting, imagining the situation in which you would relapse. I think my scenario would involve drinking as well or a very dramatic life event. In particular, I'd imagine my relapse would be with some of my very close friends that I used to chew with ALL the time. They know I've quit and have respected my quit, in fact when they chew when we're drinking they've said they would not allow me to have any of their chew. But, I know maybe one day they will say "well you're not addicted anymore one chew for old times sake won't hurt, right?", and that's where NAFAR comes into play. The other scenario, terrible life event. Well, that's just life and shit happens so that terrible life event is bound to happen soon, and again NAFAR comes into play.

One of the most important pieces of advice I've taken from this website is 1 problem + nicotine = 2 problems.
I know chew doesn't make me a better person, it doesn't solve any of my problems, nor does it make me concentrate better.
I have a mental note of the top 10 issues in my life right now, and I prioritize these issues based on urgency and whether or not they can be resolved. There's not a single issue on my list that could be solved by chew.
Sometimes, I think "man chew would make this current dilemma I'm in so much easier to handle, I would be so much more at peace", but that's just addict talk. Chew won't make anything better for me, rather it will just make things worse. If chew came into play again, I would be a sorry sob totally reliant on a stupid can in order to make it through any of life's struggles.
Now that my withdrawal symptoms have significantly subsided, I find myself thinking clearer and performing better. Do I have a lot of anxiety? Yes, at times I do, but I feel that is mainly anxiety that I have unnecessarily created myself. I still have a long ways to go, but I have become a lot more mindful of myself and my emotions.

Like the old saying "time heals everything", I believe this is especially true for our addictions. Our addiction is an illness. We are sick, and WUPP is our daily medication. As long as we stay true and take our daily medication we will get better in time. We quit one day at a time and we improve one day at a time.

I also agree that it helps to check in on the fresh quit groups. Even now at day 53 I'm beginning to forget the struggles of the early quit, how indescribably painful it was at times. So, looking in on the newer guys serves as a reminder to me of how hard the battles were fought and won in the early days. I've never experienced anything like those early days before, hell I literally doubted my ability to go through an airport and board my plane on day 5 of my quit, that's how bad it was!

That's all I have for now, I appreciate all the insights and the people that took the time out of their evening to share their experiences.
Carry on October and fellow quitters
One Day At A Time