Author Topic: Hidden habit  (Read 32973 times)

Offline CTF

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 114
Re: Hidden habit
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
Day 280
Thinking back to that day when I first read Tom and Jenny Kern’s story. Wow. I am forever grateful for the strength of the Kern family to share this story. I’d hopped on the internet looking for some motivation and, man, I found it. I was scared, sad, mad and just totally done with this addiction. Ready to do whatever it took to quit for good, I signed up. Ok, before I found this site, I would search the internet for things like how rare cancer is and statistics on how nicotine in itself really isn’t so bad...yeah, maybe I could use the tobacco-free stuff (aka waste $5 a can to keep the addiction lit until I inevitably went back to tobacco)... right? anything...damn, I worked really, really hard at justifying my addiction. Then, I read Jenny Kern‘s words, “it doesn’t matter how rare cancer is if you’re the one who gets it.” Done. I instantly saw my kids and family and the pain that would come with that for them. I was done. Then, I hung around...people kept saying, “you have to quit for you and only you.” Well...I just didn’t get that. My mind went, “Do we ever really do anything in life for just ourselves?” I don’t know...Well, recently I had this…”moment”, I guess. I pulled up to a stop sign across from a C-store and there, as I looked across, I felt like my mind was so different than it had ever been before. I truly didn’t want it. Not at all. Hard to explain. Different. Not because of my fear of cancer. Not because it is expensive. Not because it stains my teeth or any of the hundred other reasons I could list off to talk myself out of it...this time I was just content. I didn’t want to waste another moment of my life on it. I quit for me. I quit for this life and people that I love. I quit today- simply for, if nothing more, the quality of today.

Damn. I read this and thought Holy Crap that's my story. Thanks @ankape you put it in words better than I ever could.

Stay Strong

Offline ankape

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 10.25.2019
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2020, 11:04:06 AM »
Day 280
Thinking back to that day when I first read Tom and Jenny Kern’s story. Wow. I am forever grateful for the strength of the Kern family to share this story. I’d hopped on the internet looking for some motivation and, man, I found it. I was scared, sad, mad and just totally done with this addiction. Ready to do whatever it took to quit for good, I signed up. Ok, before I found this site, I would search the internet for things like how rare cancer is and statistics on how nicotine in itself really isn’t so bad...yeah, maybe I could use the tobacco-free stuff (aka waste $5 a can to keep the addiction lit until I inevitably went back to tobacco)... right? anything...damn, I worked really, really hard at justifying my addiction. Then, I read Jenny Kern‘s words, “it doesn’t matter how rare cancer is if you’re the one who gets it.” Done. I instantly saw my kids and family and the pain that would come with that for them. I was done. Then, I hung around...people kept saying, “you have to quit for you and only you.” Well...I just didn’t get that. My mind went, “Do we ever really do anything in life for just ourselves?” I don’t know...Well, recently I had this…”moment”, I guess. I pulled up to a stop sign across from a C-store and there, as I looked across, I felt like my mind was so different than it had ever been before. I truly didn’t want it. Not at all. Hard to explain. Different. Not because of my fear of cancer. Not because it is expensive. Not because it stains my teeth or any of the hundred other reasons I could list off to talk myself out of it...this time I was just content. I didn’t want to waste another moment of my life on it. I quit for me. I quit for this life and people that I love. I quit today- simply for, if nothing more, the quality of today.

Offline olcpo

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Gravity Always Wins; 1 problem + nicotine=2 probs
  • Quit Date: November 26, 2019
  • Interests: March 2020; No Nicotine Today; One Day At A Time; By God's Grace, I Am Quit
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »
I’ve always hated asking for help…apparently writing to nobody in particular is the easiest way for me. I knew I had to do something because I could feel myself falling into that pattern that has led me to failure in the past.
I recently found this article that talks about relapse happening in phases. Many of you probably know this stuff, but I didn’t. There’s so much I didn’t know I didn’t know. A while back a friend shared similar info with me which is why I knew to go looking and found this one. For me, this explains exactly what has happened in my previous attempts. Difference is...before, I didn’t talk to anyone...ever...I didn’t understand what was happening when these intense emotions struck, I just tried to plow through. I’m so thankful to have this site, the incredible friends I’ve made and the huge knowledge that’s available here.
Thanks, Ankape! This is amazing stuff, almost spooky. "who's been in my head...?" Thanks so much for sharing. This needs to be pinned up somewhere so all can see. It really nails the "honeymoon's over Blues". Thanks Lady!
Micah 6:8
"Dying is easy, It's Living that's tough".
"Caving is easy, It's Quitting that is Tough"

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2020, 10:09:02 PM »
Thanks for posting that link Ankape.  Makes sense of some of the things happening in my life.  As always, grateful to have you on my side.  HTL
~HAG

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2020, 10:26:19 AM »
Thank you @ankape This has been an interesting ride for me with all my difficulties. It is true that we can pull strength from others and then strengthen others at the same time. Thank you again as if those who have not gone before the path would never have been paved. God bless you and IQWYT!!

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
I’ve always hated asking for help…apparently writing to nobody in particular is the easiest way for me. I knew I had to do something because I could feel myself falling into that pattern that has led me to failure in the past.
I recently found this article that talks about relapse happening in phases. Many of you probably know this stuff, but I didn’t. There’s so much I didn’t know I didn’t know. A while back a friend shared similar info with me which is why I knew to go looking and found this one. For me, this explains exactly what has happened in my previous attempts. Difference is...before, I didn’t talk to anyone...ever...I didn’t understand what was happening when these intense emotions struck, I just tried to plow through. I’m so thankful to have this site, the incredible friends I’ve made and the huge knowledge that’s available here.
Thanks so much for sharing the article. WildIrish317 has a similar one in his thread as well. Sure does help to have a road map. Thanks again superstar!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline ankape

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »
@ankape ,

I know you've heard it a thousand times, "It does get better".  It really does get better but you have some big hurdles to get through first.  There are still some bad funks coming your way, especially between 600-700 days.  I think I was completely depressed through that entire hundred day stretch.  But since then, it has been smooth sailing with only small little hiccups along the way just to remind me that I am not ever cured.

Never missing a day posting my promise and always having someone available to talk to if needed is what got me through the worst part of my quit.

You are a strong individual and nicotine is will not beat you.  You have the backing of a thousand quitters at your disposal.  Lean on us as we have and will lean on you.

If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline stillbrewing

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/5/19
  • Likes Given: 1076
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2020, 03:49:53 AM »
@Ankape
I started looking through my beginning posts at KTC.  I did so because I really didn't remember much and most of it seemed to be a blur...panic, anxiety, and just all the BS that comes with withdrawal.  You were the very first person who responded to my very first intro post.  I just want to say thank you because it let me know that I wasn't alone in a very difficult time.  218 days later here we are...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:03:45 AM by stillbrewing »
"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes all worth living.  So, love the life you live, live the life you love." - Bob Marley

“La tristesse durera toujours." ~ Vincent van Gogh

"You can fuck off all the way to fuckoff mountain and jump off FUCKOFF point for all i care. Just post and stay quit." ~MikeW2018~

HOF-3/13/20; 2nd floor-6/21/20; 3rd floor-9/29/20; 1 year-12/3/20; 4th floor-1/7/21; 5th floor-4/17/21; 6th floor-7/26/21

HOF Speech Here

Offline ankape

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
@ankape  I just got done reading your thread. Stay strong as you got this and you will win. I understand your struggles all to well and found even more inspiration for myself. I battled for 4 straight months of feeling like total garbage and it was the the grace and strength of God that got me thru. I am a 30 plus year addict to nicotine and I compare it to a really bad marriage. Once we accept the fact that we need out is when the battle starts. Like an abusive spouse the nicotine does not let us go easy. I pray everyday for strength to win this battle for all of us, from the founder @chewie all the way done to the person who just posted day 1. I know its the vets that helped me along and I am forever grateful and I consider you a vet.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for your thread as I know that we are all in this together. Keep fighting, stay safe, stay string and God bless you.

QUIT FOREVER 3/5/2020
Wow, @Thefranks5. No doubt, the best thing that has happened for me because I joined this site is understanding that I will never be cured. It does get better. Much better. The vast majority of my life is SO much better without that poison. BUT sometimes that pendulum swings. Those addict mind games are real and it is those crucial moments that I (and apparently ~14k other addicts) need some help, support, tough love, kind words, but mostly to see that we aren’t alone.

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »
Day 252
I’ve kept thinking over the past couple months “it’s just a funk...it’ll pass'’ I’ve had good days and hard days but it’s been just slowly building. I'm honestly forcing myself to write this because I'm sure I’ll need it again later…
Today I hit a tipping point. Exhausted, stressed, weeks of cravings. It felt like the harder I tried to push through -the worse it got. Today...it hit me really hard (I’ve never admitted to anxiety before which was likely part of my problem). I texted for a CAB level of help...then I sat there for a bit, trying to respond. After about the 7th time erasing it because everything I started to say just sounded like a whiny little bitch... I got totally pissed! I hit the trail on my bike and sweated it out until the turkey vultures were circling (they really did...I can’t make that up). Truly, looking back at my past attempts to quit- I can see that without my promise, today could have gone either way. I’m so thankful for all of you that have given your time for me. I respect you too much to break.

Thanks for sharing that ankape.  I think I know how you feel.  Just when I think I may be making some headway, I slump for a day, week, month...  Lately I've had to remind myself of the first week of my quit when I read everything I could get my eyes on on this site.  I recall reading that this battle sometimes takes 2+ years for some to get over the "hump"...and the battle stretches on really for life.  I think I may be one of those addicts that may take 2+ years to get over the suck...but I did this to myself...I knew what I was doing...this is my battle to fight.

The anxiety sucks!  The only thing we can do is put one foot in front of the other.  I can't go back.  I'm too young and my family needs me too much.  Thus I have no choice.  The gals and guys that have been here for awhile say it gets MUCH better...they have not lied to me yet.  We need to hang on until we get there.  Shoulder to shoulder girl.  What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.  Please reach out if things get unbearable.

Hold the line

~HAG

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2020, 07:14:15 AM »
@ankape  I just got done reading your thread. Stay strong as you got this and you will win. I understand your struggles all to well and found even more inspiration for myself. I battled for 4 straight months of feeling like total garbage and it was the the grace and strength of God that got me thru. I am a 30 plus year addict to nicotine and I compare it to a really bad marriage. Once we accept the fact that we need out is when the battle starts. Like an abusive spouse the nicotine does not let us go easy. I pray everyday for strength to win this battle for all of us, from the founder @chewie all the way done to the person who just posted day 1. I know its the vets that helped me along and I am forever grateful and I consider you a vet.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for your thread as I know that we are all in this together. Keep fighting, stay safe, stay string and God bless you.

QUIT FOREVER 3/5/2020

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2020, 07:47:56 PM »
Day 252
I’ve kept thinking over the past couple months “it’s just a funk...it’ll pass'’ I’ve had good days and hard days but it’s been just slowly building. I'm honestly forcing myself to write this because I'm sure I’ll need it again later…
Today I hit a tipping point. Exhausted, stressed, weeks of cravings. It felt like the harder I tried to push through -the worse it got. Today...it hit me really hard (I’ve never admitted to anxiety before which was likely part of my problem). I texted for a CAB level of help...then I sat there for a bit, trying to respond. After about the 7th time erasing it because everything I started to say just sounded like a whiny little bitch... I got totally pissed! I hit the trail on my bike and sweated it out until the turkey vultures were circling (they really did...I can’t make that up). Truly, looking back at my past attempts to quit- I can see that without my promise, today could have gone either way. I’m so thankful for all of you that have given your time for me. I respect you too much to break.
Proud of you, Kaper!  You are a Steel Magnolia, girl.  :-*

This.  This is why we stress that people stick around after HOF. 
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline ankape

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2020, 09:38:48 PM »
Day 252

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2012
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2020, 02:15:38 AM »
My goal isn’t to be able to breeze through my days and never think about my addiction. Everyday I’m around people dipping. It’s everywhere and it always will be. So will my addiction. My goal is to change how I think about it. My goal is to do whatever it takes, every day, to not allow any romanticizing of it.
  The last time I attempted to quit before KTC, I kept an unopened can in my normal hiding spot. Now, I’m not saying that’s a good method or a smart thing to do, but I do know why it worked for me for a while. It was because every day I looked at it and reminded myself of the reasons I didn’t want it. Over a year or so, it sat in that bag.  I finally decided it was pointless to keep it anymore. Besides, it had to have been all dried out.
     Well...maybe it was a coincidence, but it seems pretty ironic that only a few months later, I fell into my slow progression of romanticizing and eventually forgetting why I worked so hard. Now, I have people to remind me in case I forget. Thank you to all who post with me, message me, text with me, call me. I am truly grateful.
I love this post because there are so many who romance the thought..the weed..the nic.
Change the way you think about it.
We used to think it was our friend. Read the following as well.
Girl, you have the mind right. That's powerful. I'm with you on this. ❤

https://ktcforum.org/index.php?topic=2330.0

July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day