Author Topic: My third quit attempt  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
Re: My third quit attempt
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 06:04:31 AM »
@Charger5523  Congrats on getting as far as you did on your own. I went 78 days before I joined and that is what solidified my quit. Keith was also one of the first to help and point me to my group. But, there is no way I would have made 537 days on my own because all the fine quitters reached out to support me. I have a pocket full of personal numbers and text my promise to them daily. That personal side is what saved my addict butt many times and I always give them credit for their work. We don’t coddle here, we are not always nice but we will do whatever we can to help each other stay quit. Grow a thick skin, make friends and hang on. My digits are yours for the asking and are only a pm away. You can make this happen but you need to slam that KTC kool aid and play by the rules. Quitting with you one day at a time.

Doug

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1654
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »
OK. Good for you. But that's not exactly how this site works. It works because a community of individuals stick around and contribute to the whole. To pop on in and announce hey I did it all on my own is antithetical to what we do and is borderline offensive. You might as well be thumbing your nose. The title of your own intro says it all "My third quit attempt". That's not surprising. Chemical addiction be it nicotine, cocaine, heroin, etc is the same. The success rate for addicts in recovery is dismal at best. Roughly 70% of those in chemical dependency will remain so all the way to the grave, indeed many will meet the grave because of it. I don't have the statistics of how many of those who leave remain clean. I do know that there are many who leave and return worse off than when they started. Those who I know of who have been contacted after leaving are addicted once again. So you wanna post your solitary victory well you go right on ahead. I'll not let it stand unchallenged however. I'll not let your self centered victory dance dissuade someone from joining a group, posting roll, and break the bonds of addiction.
To those of you reading this that are on the fence about whether or not to join up and throw your lot in with a group - I'm hear to tell you that it works. I'm 1,330 clean because I post a simple promise every day to stay clean today and today only.
Quitting with you today.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2279
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »
Hello and to whomever reads this,

Not sure the format for this type of forum but here goes. This is my third attempt at quitting. My first day quit was May 26 2021, memorial day weekend. I dipped from the time I was 17 to the age of 24. I found this website when I was serious again about quitting almost three months ago. I did not create an account then but I decided to now due to late term cravings as well as a way to atone and hold myself accountable. As of today August 22 2021 I have quit for 86 days. I used to dip Stokers mint longcut, and before that it was a variety of different Copenhagen. This is also my longest quit. I don't plan on going back ever as my convictions are very strong. I will tell the story of my first few days and how I ended up successful this time. So I had planned my quit. It was a cold turkey quit centered around a spiritual event. I went backpacking on a 5 day trip with my girlfriend and our two dogs in the Land between the Lakes national park. I didn't have the time to get ornery or be in a fog as survival and safety were somewhat at stake during this backpacking trip. The hardest part was my return to work after getting my first 5 days out of the way. The next three weeks I was a bitter asshole and about 20 days in I had a serious cussing match that came close to losing my job. After that incident I told coworkers I was quitting. I wanted them to notice rather than I tell them because actions are louder than words. After the first 3 weeks the time between then and now has flown by. I chew gum and Altoids instead of using the real stuff. As for my convictions I always knew I had to quit for myself and no one else. I was asked by my girlfriend when we first started dating to quit. We had been dating maybe a few months when she asked me. I told her I would and I did for about a month. So fast forward after a failed quit when I was 21 I continued for another 3 years hiding it from my girlfriend who had thought I quit. To this day I have no idea why she never confronted me about it. Whether out of pity or maybe she didn't honestly know. I used to hide my spitters and my cans. I got so good at hiding it I would quit for 4 or 5 days whenever we would go on vacation.  She only ever found one can and never gave me a hard time over it. I felt despicable about it but I could never bring myself to justify quitting for her no matter how much I love and respect her. My quit had to be for me and me alone. I was able to do it with this mentality, 'a man with out vice cannot be tortured by vice, furthermore virtue and nobility are his only vices'. I have overcome a lot in this 85 days. I still have cravings if I don't chew my gum or eat some mints. I am proud of where I have come from and I am certain I couldn't have gotten this far without this website. I found it on day 7 when I knew I couldn't do it alone. I never got into reading the forum stuff the only thing I cared about was when I read what to expect when quitting. It was always open on a tab on my phone. I am having some late term cravings but its nothing that hasn't been manageable. I do plan on buying the coin after my hundred days. I know I won't have earned it with all the guys who did there day 1 together on the site,  but I do want people to know you can do it alone with some guidance and strong convictions. I don't think I will be much of a forum poster. I do plan on telling my girlfriend after my 1 year anniversary of being quit that I lied to her.

Thanks for reading,

Charger5523

Welcome @Charger5523, congratulations on your quit so far! What you have accomplished on your own is huge. You’re close to your HOF 100. It sounds like you have some reservations about doing this alone, however. How about for now, you take it one day at a time and post your promise with your group each morning? It sounds like it may be worth it to at least play it safe for a little while. Let’s protect the quit you have one day at a time!

emoney
@Charger5523 welcome to KTC. 86 days on your own is impressive. Let’s be honest, we have all failed on our own to stay quit. Go over to the September 2021 quit group, introduce yourself, and start posting your promise to stay nicotine free for the day. Here is the link https://ktcforum.org/index.php?topic=17074.0. Only worry about quitting for the day. We will deal with tomorrow when it gets here. Make connections with fellow quitters and highly recommend you exchange digits through personal messages. SHoot me a personal message as I am happy to exchange digits with you.
Jan19

Offline emoney

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2021-08-05
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 08:19:59 AM »

Not sure the format for this type of forum but here goes. This is my third attempt at quitting. My first day quit was May 26 2021, memorial day weekend. I dipped from the time I was 17 to the age of 24. I found this website when I was serious again about quitting almost three months ago. I did not create an account then but I decided to now due to late term cravings as well as a way to atone and hold myself accountable. As of today August 22 2021 I have quit for 86 days. I used to dip Stokers mint longcut, and before that it was a variety of different Copenhagen. This is also my longest quit. I don't plan on going back ever as my convictions are very strong. I will tell the story of my first few days and how I ended up successful this time. So I had planned my quit. It was a cold turkey quit centered around a spiritual event. I went backpacking on a 5 day trip with my girlfriend and our two dogs in the Land between the Lakes national park. I didn't have the time to get ornery or be in a fog as survival and safety were somewhat at stake during this backpacking trip. The hardest part was my return to work after getting my first 5 days out of the way. The next three weeks I was a bitter asshole and about 20 days in I had a serious cussing match that came close to losing my job. After that incident I told coworkers I was quitting. I wanted them to notice rather than I tell them because actions are louder than words. After the first 3 weeks the time between then and now has flown by. I chew gum and Altoids instead of using the real stuff. As for my convictions I always knew I had to quit for myself and no one else. I was asked by my girlfriend when we first started dating to quit. We had been dating maybe a few months when she asked me. I told her I would and I did for about a month. So fast forward after a failed quit when I was 21 I continued for another 3 years hiding it from my girlfriend who had thought I quit. To this day I have no idea why she never confronted me about it. Whether out of pity or maybe she didn't honestly know. I used to hide my spitters and my cans. I got so good at hiding it I would quit for 4 or 5 days whenever we would go on vacation.  She only ever found one can and never gave me a hard time over it. I felt despicable about it but I could never bring myself to justify quitting for her no matter how much I love and respect her. My quit had to be for me and me alone. I was able to do it with this mentality, 'a man with out vice cannot be tortured by vice, furthermore virtue and nobility are his only vices'. I have overcome a lot in this 85 days. I still have cravings if I don't chew my gum or eat some mints. I am proud of where I have come from and I am certain I couldn't have gotten this far without this website. I found it on day 7 when I knew I couldn't do it alone. I never got into reading the forum stuff the only thing I cared about was when I read what to expect when quitting. It was always open on a tab on my phone. I am having some late term cravings but its nothing that hasn't been manageable. I do plan on buying the coin after my hundred days. I know I won't have earned it with all the guys who did there day 1 together on the site,  but I do want people to know you can do it alone with some guidance and strong convictions. I don't think I will be much of a forum poster. I do plan on telling my girlfriend after my 1 year anniversary of being quit that I lied to her.

Thanks for reading,

Charger5523

Welcome @Charger5523, congratulations on your quit so far! What you have accomplished on your own is huge. You’re close to your HOF 100. It sounds like you have some reservations about doing this alone, however. How about for now, you take it one day at a time and post your promise with your group each morning? It sounds like it may be worth it to at least play it safe for a little while. Let’s protect the quit you have one day at a time!

emoney
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:23:02 AM by emoney »

Offline Charger5523

• Likes Given: 0
My third quit attempt
« on: August 21, 2021, 02:06:04 AM »

Thanks for reading,

Charger5523