Author Topic: Glad I found this place  (Read 2543 times)

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Glad I found this place
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
4 years. Awesome numbers brada!

Thanks for sticking around.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline rtpope

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Umpiring baseball, hunting, fishing, college baskeball, NFL, basically sports in general....
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Quote from: CalNotKodiakBears
Quote from: MikeA
Quote from: SlaveToTheBear
Quote from: Martin
Greetings, all.

35 year-old Houstonian here and dipper for 19 of those years.  Up to 1-1.5 cans per day now, and the thought of being a slave to the Kodiak/Grizzly bear for the rest of my life really pisses me off.

Quitting is easy for me.  I've done it several times (irony intended).  And each time I welcome the Bear back with open arms.

I tried cold turkey yesterday...  One guess as to the outcome.

I've read the "welcome" section, so I'll respectfully refrain from posting in Quit or Wildcard forums, but hope to do so soon.  Real soon.

Sincerely,

Slave
Hey! Get your ass in here! I am on day 60 and also was awful fond of Kodiak! I can tell you that this site is the only way I could have quit! You will find lots of support and some hilarious folks at KTC! Today would be a great day to start!
Thanks Martin.

This seems like a great place. I was practically in tears from laughing while reading the "100 reasons to quit" letter. Then I realized "Damn, I can relate to about 2/3 of these".
Go to the june quit group and post day 1 right now. You said quitting is easy so do it. We will not let the bear back if you stick with us. Dump that shit right now and be done. I am sure you have a big marathon dipping weekend planned around basketball...well guess what your bracket will still suck ass even without dip. So post day 1 right now.
^ The post that goaded me into posting my "Day 1" 4 years ago.

This place made all the difference.

PS-My brackets were phenominal that year. (kidding. I think that's the year Butler faced Duke in the Final).
That's awesome! Great job and congrats!!

Offline CalNotKodiakBears

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-03-20
  • Interests: Astronomy, CampingAngels BaseballCal FootballUCI Baseball (Go Eaters!)
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Quote from: Martin
Greetings, all.

35 year-old Houstonian here and dipper for 19 of those years.  Up to 1-1.5 cans per day now, and the thought of being a slave to the Kodiak/Grizzly bear for the rest of my life really pisses me off.

Quitting is easy for me.  I've done it several times (irony intended).  And each time I welcome the Bear back with open arms.

I tried cold turkey yesterday...  One guess as to the outcome.

I've read the "welcome" section, so I'll respectfully refrain from posting in Quit or Wildcard forums, but hope to do so soon.  Real soon.

Sincerely,

Slave
Hey! Get your ass in here! I am on day 60 and also was awful fond of Kodiak! I can tell you that this site is the only way I could have quit! You will find lots of support and some hilarious folks at KTC! Today would be a great day to start!
Thanks Martin.

This seems like a great place. I was practically in tears from laughing while reading the "100 reasons to quit" letter. Then I realized "Damn, I can relate to about 2/3 of these".
Go to the june quit group and post day 1 right now. You said quitting is easy so do it. We will not let the bear back if you stick with us. Dump that shit right now and be done. I am sure you have a big marathon dipping weekend planned around basketball...well guess what your bracket will still suck ass even without dip. So post day 1 right now.

^ The post that goaded me into posting my "Day 1" 4 years ago.

This place made all the difference.

PS-My brackets were phenominal that year. (kidding. I think that's the year Butler faced Duke in the Final).
Quit Date: 03/20/10
HOF Date: 06/27/10
Comma: 12/13/12

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." -Carl Sagan

• Quitter
  • Interests: Astronomy, CampingAngels BaseballCal FootballUCI Baseball (Go Eaters!)
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
So, I'm sitting here approaching one year quit this Saturday, and decided to look up my intro thread. Holy shit, what a difference a year makes.

Back when I started this thread, I was almost certain I'd be back on the can in no time, as evidenced by my addict logic below.

I couldn't have done it without this site, my fellow Junebugs and a bunch of kickass vets.

T-3 days.

Cal (fka "Slave")

• Quitter
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
100 days for me will fall smack dab between my kids birthdays (they are two weeks apart)

That is pretty good incentive right there.

• Quitter
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Haha. My wife would put stricknine in my coffee if the precious wii was in pieces on the floor.

Got your PM, and thank you. It's weird... it's not a cure me with dip jitter as it is just a random, nervous jitter.

A quick aside: My neigbors, the inconsiderate fucks they are, decided to have a party tonight and I can still hear their shit sound system at 12:43 CDT. We may have an early graduation to dip rage before the night is over.

I best be getting to bed, as I've made the decision to mow at 5:00 am tomorrow.

Offline teamgreen

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kicking the nic bitch in the taint.
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
Don't fuckin do it. Fuck it. Take the Wii apart first. Check inbox and call me if you need to. I've been white knucklin' it a bit the last few days. I believe it will get better, and so do you. Just make it. Besides, you posted roll so you have no choice. We're here for you.

• Quitter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
I think I've got my biggest trigger identified. Dark quiet house, kids and wife are asleep.

I've got the jitters like a motherfucker right now. Seriously, I don't remember it being this bad during any of my pre-caves where I made it beyond 2-3 days. I remember the fog, the suck, irritability and inability to focus, but these jitters are new to me.

I feel as though I should be taking the laptop and wii apart and then putting them back together.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
OK, scored me some SMC Wintergreen this morning and have to say it's helping to take the edge off.  Good thing too, because the sunflower seeds have fucked up my mouth royally the last day and a half.

SMC Wintergreen actually reminds me of Redman Wintergreen Snuff, which I actually enjoyed. 

The fog is here, but not quite as bad as it was last night.

I took Greg's advice and have been reading a bunch here.  A lot of good stuff.
OK. Now that you have your fake, and you have been reading time to write out a quit plan. Make your plan something important to you. Here is mine...

GregÂ’s Cave Plan

1.   Text my family this message: I have decided I no longer want to continue quitting. It is just too hard and I am no longer able to fight it. All the support you have shown me was not enough. I love tobacco more than all of you, and I would rather spend time with it than with you.

2.   Take out the contract to give up. Read it 5 times, sign it. As soon as possible post it in Feb 2010

3.   Call - Jstreet, Helios, Banner, Murf, Bubblehed.

Print out the contract to give up and put that in your wallet. If you want to cave you have to read and sign it.

Contract to give up

You have a good start. Time to start adding tools to the toolbox.

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I haven't told my wife yet about quitting.  I don't want to see the look of disappointment in her face if, God forbid, I fail again.
yeah good plan, leave yourself an out. Just in case right? Hey, while your at it make sure you have a couple of full cans layin around the house just in case you need them. Infact, go total ninja quit. Don't tell anybody that your hoping that you can maybe probably try to quit ish or something. That way if you fail again nobody will know and your not accountable to anyone. _

I saw a post once by TruckerRick who is around 900 days I believe. It was about a military invasion where the army crossed the sea to fight another nation. When they arrived the commander burned all the boats. There was no going back. It was victory or death. Thats how you have to quit . You can't plan to fail, burn the boats, tell the world and then succeed. Not telling your wife means your planning to fail, it is that simple period.

You got this

Skoal Monster
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

• Quitter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
OK, scored me some SMC Wintergreen this morning and have to say it's helping to take the edge off. Good thing too, because the sunflower seeds have fucked up my mouth royally the last day and a half.

SMC Wintergreen actually reminds me of Redman Wintergreen Snuff, which I actually enjoyed.

The fog is here, but not quite as bad as it was last night.

I took Greg's advice and have been reading a bunch here. A lot of good stuff.

Offline Lochi21

• Quitter
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Quote from: redyota
Quote from: markr
Quote from: Phat

I haven't told my wife yet about quitting.  I don't want to see the look of disappointment in her face if, God forbid, I fail again.  I don't dip in front of her, but she knows.  (Like a gay in the military, she doesn't ask and I sure as shit don't tell).
dude, that was 100% me. I did not till my wife of my quit till like day 25. I then told her if she ever wanted to know if I was dipping to check roll call. I gave her my log in info. I said if my name is on roll call I aint dipping, if you don't see my name, you don't have to ask.
see... I went the other way.

the day i signed up, i printed off the spousal support section, sat Mama down and told her why i thought this time would be different. She read all the stuff, smiled and said "Thanks for Trying". At the time I thought it was great of her to support me... but then I stopped and thought. "I ain't fuckin tryin here. I'm DOING."

She's been nothing but supportive and even stops to pick up some fake shit if I ask. In 12 years, she never once bought me a can of the real shit...

You don't gotta tell her right away, but you should tell her so she understands when you're a grumpy bear.

Just my two cents. Welcome to the site. Stop by April for some entertainment.

Let us know if you need anything.
Here is my take I hid it from my wife for a few days. Then I got sick the fog came in I was not myself and she asked why. Then I came clean with her. You are passing up an oppertunity for some support at home as well. Tell her then come here and post up. Like Greg said in an earlier post the mind set is what you have to have there is no If or may it is WHEN and I CAN. Caving is not an option find something else to do you can't have a dip anymore so chew seed gum whatever just no nicotine. I printed out the following link gave a copy to my wife so she knew what to expect and told her evry morning what day I was on.
You have a great start just fine tune it make a plan ie I have a bad crave I will call Greg to ask if I can have a dip or I will eat seed until the crave goes away.
That is why your quit group is so important they are going through the same things you are now. So get in there get some names and phone numbers meet some new friend. But be fair with your wife let her know.
http://www.killthecan.org/yourquit/what.asp
....if, God forbid, I fail again....

My advice, tell her, then DON"T FAIL! It 100% up to you. You want to quit. She wants you to quit. SO QUIT! Yes, its difficult, but success is entirely in your court.

I can't claim to know the relationship you have with your wife, but I know from my experience, and the experiences I've read from many other quitters, the support you get at home is just as important as the support you get here. My wife's support was fantastic, and she continues to play a vital role in keeping me quit.

By the way, if, God forbid, you fail again, you;re already going to disappoint me and 100's of other quitters on this site. You have given us your word, so sorry, failure is not an option.

Welcome.

My 2 cents on the fake chew - If it works, use it. Your use of it will decline naturally over time without much effort from you. Eventually you'll have a day where you remember that you haven't used any in weeks.
It's obviously up to you....nobody knows your exact situation with your wife. But my advice would be to tell her. If she really cares she will support you in THE LAST FUCKING QUIT IN YOUR LIFETIME!!!

Besides, maybe you will get lucky like me and when I'm having a really tough day my wife takes my mind off the Nic Bitch by.....

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
Quote from: markr

I haven't told my wife yet about quitting.  I don't want to see the look of disappointment in her face if, God forbid, I fail again.  I don't dip in front of her, but she knows.  (Like a gay in the military, she doesn't ask and I sure as shit don't tell).
dude, that was 100% me. I did not till my wife of my quit till like day 25. I then told her if she ever wanted to know if I was dipping to check roll call. I gave her my log in info. I said if my name is on roll call I aint dipping, if you don't see my name, you don't have to ask.

the day i signed up, i printed off the spousal support section, sat Mama down and told her why i thought this time would be different. She read all the stuff, smiled and said "Thanks for Trying". At the time I thought it was great of her to support me... but then I stopped and thought. "I ain't fuckin tryin here. I'm DOING."

She's been nothing but supportive and even stops to pick up some fake shit if I ask. In 12 years, she never once bought me a can of the real shit...

You don't gotta tell her right away, but you should tell her so she understands when you're a grumpy bear.

Here is my take I hid it from my wife for a few days. Then I got sick the fog came in I was not myself and she asked why. Then I came clean with her. You are passing up an oppertunity for some support at home as well. Tell her then come here and post up. Like Greg said in an earlier post the mind set is what you have to have there is no If or may it is WHEN and I CAN. Caving is not an option find something else to do you can't have a dip anymore so chew seed gum whatever just no nicotine. I printed out the following link gave a copy to my wife so she knew what to expect and told her evry morning what day I was on.
You have a great start just fine tune it make a plan ie I have a bad crave I will call Greg to ask if I can have a dip or I will eat seed until the crave goes away.
That is why your quit group is so important they are going through the same things you are now. So get in there get some names and phone numbers meet some new friend. But be fair with your wife let her know.
....if, God forbid, I fail again....

My advice, tell her, then DON"T FAIL! It 100% up to you. You want to quit. She wants you to quit. SO QUIT! Yes, its difficult, but success is entirely in your court.

I can't claim to know the relationship you have with your wife, but I know from my experience, and the experiences I've read from many other quitters, the support you get at home is just as important as the support you get here. My wife's support was fantastic, and she continues to play a vital role in keeping me quit.

By the way, if, God forbid, you fail again, you;re already going to disappoint me and 100's of other quitters on this site. You have given us your word, so sorry, failure is not an option.

Welcome.

My 2 cents on the fake chew - If it works, use it. Your use of it will decline naturally over time without much effort from you. Eventually you'll have a day where you remember that you haven't used any in weeks.
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline markr

• Quit Date 04/01/2009
  • Quitter
  • Interests: I like Bowhunting Deer, bowfishing, shooting, deer hunting, fishing for bass and smallies in local lake and streams. Taking my daughter out in the wild my youngest love to shoot ,hunt and fish. I am a Hunters ed instructor and like to introduce kids to outdoors activities. Restoring old tractors.
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »

Offline Phat Pauly

• Quitter
  • Interests: Liquor and Whores
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »

1) You know.... I'd probably get in a whole lot less trouble if I'd just keep my fukkin' mouth shut.
2) I says whats I think... whether you like it or not is YOUR problem, not mine.