Author Topic: Quitting for real  (Read 5435 times)

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Busted
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »
Quote from: Aumegrad
Quote from: PhuctUp
Quote from: worktowin
Quote from: Dagranger
I haven't posted much on this site other than roll call for a while, but I recently hit four years and I thought I'd share a glimmer of hope for those fighting what seems like a losing battle against their addiction to dip. Stick with it! The payoff is worth the fight.

For me the first 100 days was insanity....almost all of my waking thought was consumed with my fight. No one can go through that without making a real change in who they are. Quitting for a day is hard but doable, quitting for life means you are committed to Changing your life. That commitment has to come from somewhere deep inside, that tells you day after day that your old life is over, and there is no going back. I'm not sure what the secret formula is, but this site was the only thing that gave me the fortitude to survive that god awful shitty time, that I had failed to get through so many times.

The next year or so was much easier. I still had craves but they came less frequently and I got into a routine that worked. For the most part I thought this was my life. I'd have a crave after eating, or while coaching my kids, or doing yardwork, I'd stare at the cans of dip in the gas station whenever I went inside, but my life was manageable and I figured the craves were just the bed I'd have to sleep in after decades of addiction. The one factor that stayed the same was KTC was still a daily routine for me.

I'm not sure when it happened but somewhere along the way I stopped having daily cravings for dip...I'd walk into a gas station, buy whatever I came in to get and not even notice the dip display. Every once in a while I still have something resembling a crave but nowhere near the magnitude I had gone through.

I assume some of you who are holding on to your quit with everything you've got may read this and think "fuck you! I can't think out one day let alone four years, this does nothing for me!" I would totally get that, in fact I'm sure it's what I would have thought 4 summers ago. But I want to tell you, there is a life without dip out there where you can focus on your family, your career, your health, your religion, and any other thing that makes you alive without having to think about dip and quitting dip. So please please stick with it. Life on the other side is worth every agony you are experiencing!

KTC brought me this far and I really believe I'll be posting here as long as there are folks willing to take my promise.
Every word of this rings true. I used to hate reading this stuff from guys with a comma. Now I'm living it too.

Quitting results in benefits we could never have imagined. Thanks for posting this Andy.
I know you have no idea who this guy is posting on your thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for writing that. I guess I just needed it this morning. It's just been a crazy busy week. Just nonstop. Been either home or vacationing all week, but I have not stopped. But just the hecticness of it with traveling and family and even yard maintenance obstacles has been stressful and I have just had an uneasy feeling all week. I'm battling the dip and the bottle, so I don't know if that makes my uneasy feelings different or worse than anybody else's, but the number of times I've thought about dip and beer this week has been a little unrelenting and unsettling.

Reading that this morning calmed me down, refocused me, and generally just made me feel AMAZING. Thank you.
Similar to PhuctUp, you donÂ’t know me from a hole in the ground. However, for someone 51 days into their quit and has struggled the last few days, I needed to know there was light at the end of the tunnel. I also needed an idea of how far off that light is. Thank you for sharing this, was spot on what I needed to read.
You couldnÂ’t have picked a better example of brotherhood and accountability than Dagranger.

He posts daily. Keeps his group engaged. And he wins.

Follow his example and you will enjoy a feeedom that you never imagined. The pain you are feeling now pales in comparison to the reward ahead. I promise.

Offline Aumegrad

• Quitter
    • INTRO
  • Quit Date: 7/23/18
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
Quote from: PhuctUp
I haven't posted much on this site other than roll call for a while, but I recently hit four years and I thought I'd share a glimmer of hope for those fighting what seems like a losing battle against their addiction to dip. Stick with it! The payoff is worth the fight.

For me the first 100 days was insanity....almost all of my waking thought was consumed with my fight. No one can go through that without making a real change in who they are. Quitting for a day is hard but doable, quitting for life means you are committed to Changing your life. That commitment has to come from somewhere deep inside, that tells you day after day that your old life is over, and there is no going back. I'm not sure what the secret formula is, but this site was the only thing that gave me the fortitude to survive that god awful shitty time, that I had failed to get through so many times.

The next year or so was much easier. I still had craves but they came less frequently and I got into a routine that worked. For the most part I thought this was my life. I'd have a crave after eating, or while coaching my kids, or doing yardwork, I'd stare at the cans of dip in the gas station whenever I went inside, but my life was manageable and I figured the craves were just the bed I'd have to sleep in after decades of addiction. The one factor that stayed the same was KTC was still a daily routine for me.

I'm not sure when it happened but somewhere along the way I stopped having daily cravings for dip...I'd walk into a gas station, buy whatever I came in to get and not even notice the dip display. Every once in a while I still have something resembling a crave but nowhere near the magnitude I had gone through.

I assume some of you who are holding on to your quit with everything you've got may read this and think "fuck you! I can't think out one day let alone four years, this does nothing for me!" I would totally get that, in fact I'm sure it's what I would have thought 4 summers ago. But I want to tell you, there is a life without dip out there where you can focus on your family, your career, your health, your religion, and any other thing that makes you alive without having to think about dip and quitting dip. So please please stick with it. Life on the other side is worth every agony you are experiencing!

KTC brought me this far and I really believe I'll be posting here as long as there are folks willing to take my promise.
Every word of this rings true. I used to hate reading this stuff from guys with a comma. Now I'm living it too.

Quitting results in benefits we could never have imagined. Thanks for posting this Andy.
I know you have no idea who this guy is posting on your thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for writing that. I guess I just needed it this morning. It's just been a crazy busy week. Just nonstop. Been either home or vacationing all week, but I have not stopped. But just the hecticness of it with traveling and family and even yard maintenance obstacles has been stressful and I have just had an uneasy feeling all week. I'm battling the dip and the bottle, so I don't know if that makes my uneasy feelings different or worse than anybody else's, but the number of times I've thought about dip and beer this week has been a little unrelenting and unsettling.

Reading that this morning calmed me down, refocused me, and generally just made me feel AMAZING. Thank you.
Similar to PhuctUp, you donÂ’t know me from a hole in the ground. However, for someone 51 days into their quit and has struggled the last few days, I needed to know there was light at the end of the tunnel. I also needed an idea of how far off that light is. Thank you for sharing this, was spot on what I needed to read.
Who is Aumegrad ???? ...

What were his thoughts at 100 days ???? ... [url=http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?topic=722.0]HoF

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. (1 Corinthians 9:24)

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2558
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »
Quote from: Rawls
Quote from: Candoit
19th floors of quit is Bad Ass, even for a Green Bay fan. Proud to quit with you today, catch you on roll for 1,901.
Congrats on 19th
Well done sir.
Rawls 1392
Congrats Dags on crushing another great milestone! 'party'
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
Quote from: Candoit
19th floors of quit is Bad Ass, even for a Green Bay fan. Proud to quit with you today, catch you on roll for 1,901.
Congrats on 19th
Well done sir.
Rawls 1392
I believe.....

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2018, 07:36:00 AM »
There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline PhuctUp

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-05-28
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
Quote from: Pinched
Quote from: B-loMatt
Quote from: Steakbomb18
Quote from: rdad
You guys remember the look you would get every once in a while when you put a dip in.? That, I can't believe you do something so disgusting and stupid, look? God I hated those people. So self righteous and haughty....but somewhere along the last 1,000 days I have come to realize that those people....were right. Absolutely spot on right.

Even if it weren't addictive, dipping is a vile practice. Brown tongue, yellow teeth, crap under the fingernails. Holding something in your mouth that forces saliva to build up so much so that you have to spit every 30 seconds. (I have a theory that was my mouths way of trying to get the dip out), Filling up spitters, spilling spitters, falling asleep and drooling dip juice all over my pillows, spitting out the window of my car and missing, flecks of tobacco stuck in my teeth, turning my head when someone I loved went to kiss me...what in the world did we all sign up for when we put that shit in our mouths? It makes no fucking sense.

But the voice of addiction has a way of saying exactly what you want to hear,. Early on it told me how dip would help me fit in, or make me a better ball player, later it told me how dip was helping to control my appetite, or how it helped me relax, and/or focus. It somehow made me believe that I immeadiately liked people better if I knew they dipped. My addicted self spent years selling me snake oil and I bought can after can listening to all the twisted logic that comes with being an addict.

After 1,000 days of quit I can't help but be amazed at how strong my addiction is. For 1,000 days I have curb stomped all my urges, turned a deaf ear when something in me tries to convince me to buy a can. Time and time again I have stood up to the bully that dominated my life for decades and kicked its ass....but even after all of that...it won't die. I'm still addicted. I still feel the pull to cave. I still have to fight, almost daily. Thank God I post roll!

My October 2013 class had about 40 people reach their 100th day. Half never posted roll again, and by the end of the first year we only had five left. (FI, Boomer, Pinched, JLud and myself) This makes no sense to me. Are the rest cured of their addiction? If they are like me and failed time after time to quit in the past, why way would they abandon the one way that allowed them to succeed? When I post roll I am accountable, and maybe more importantly it also tells others posting that they are accountable to me. This isn't "a" way to quit...this is THE way. Because I am fighting daily, I am promising daily. That's how I quit today, and if I'm lucky enough to be quit tomorrow, that's how I will be quit then.

Happy Easter everyone!
This. Is. Awesome. By the way... I love that my 10,000th post is on your 1,000th day. Now I really will celebrate big time!
Huge congrats on your comma Andy! Thank you for your support!
What can I say ...seeing quitters who I respect and care about hit milestones like these is pure joy for me. Congratulations Andy, you deserve today! On a side note, enough pussy-footin' around, lets meet up soon.
Nice comma brother! Awesome transformation into a BAQ legend :)
I am healed every day that I post roll, but it is my fear of addiction that keeps me coming back every day to post roll. Us OG Duck Fips have stuck together through it all and I do not plan on changing that anytime soon. I have often wondered if all the others are still quit or if I would be too if I had been healed at day 100...but then I see that KTC not only helps me quit but it also helps me become bettter. It is very humbling to admit addiction and it takes truth and caring to let someone else in especially people who were complete strangers.

But like I said this is still working for me and I do not want to rick fucking that up.

Well written Andy, Happy Easter and I will see you on roll again tomorrow.
Gratz man, you were a big part of my early quit, and see you tomorrow on roll call.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
Quote from: B-loMatt
You guys remember the look you would get every once in a while when you put a dip in.? That, I can't believe you do something so disgusting and stupid, look? God I hated those people. So self righteous and haughty....but somewhere along the last 1,000 days I have come to realize that those people....were right. Absolutely spot on right.

Even if it weren't addictive, dipping is a vile practice. Brown tongue, yellow teeth, crap under the fingernails. Holding something in your mouth that forces saliva to build up so much so that you have to spit every 30 seconds. (I have a theory that was my mouths way of trying to get the dip out), Filling up spitters, spilling spitters, falling asleep and drooling dip juice all over my pillows, spitting out the window of my car and missing, flecks of tobacco stuck in my teeth, turning my head when someone I loved went to kiss me...what in the world did we all sign up for when we put that shit in our mouths? It makes no fucking sense.

But the voice of addiction has a way of saying exactly what you want to hear,. Early on it told me how dip would help me fit in, or make me a better ball player, later it told me how dip was helping to control my appetite, or how it helped me relax, and/or focus. It somehow made me believe that I immeadiately liked people better if I knew they dipped. My addicted self spent years selling me snake oil and I bought can after can listening to all the twisted logic that comes with being an addict.

After 1,000 days of quit I can't help but be amazed at how strong my addiction is. For 1,000 days I have curb stomped all my urges, turned a deaf ear when something in me tries to convince me to buy a can. Time and time again I have stood up to the bully that dominated my life for decades and kicked its ass....but even after all of that...it won't die. I'm still addicted. I still feel the pull to cave. I still have to fight, almost daily. Thank God I post roll!

My October 2013 class had about 40 people reach their 100th day. Half never posted roll again, and by the end of the first year we only had five left. (FI, Boomer, Pinched, JLud and myself) This makes no sense to me. Are the rest cured of their addiction? If they are like me and failed time after time to quit in the past, why way would they abandon the one way that allowed them to succeed? When I post roll I am accountable, and maybe more importantly it also tells others posting that they are accountable to me. This isn't "a" way to quit...this is THE way. Because I am fighting daily, I am promising daily. That's how I quit today, and if I'm lucky enough to be quit tomorrow, that's how I will be quit then.

Happy Easter everyone!
This. Is. Awesome. By the way... I love that my 10,000th post is on your 1,000th day. Now I really will celebrate big time!
What can I say ...seeing quitters who I respect and care about hit milestones like these is pure joy for me. Congratulations Andy, you deserve today! On a side note, enough pussy-footin' around, lets meet up soon.
I am healed every day that I post roll, but it is my fear of addiction that keeps me coming back every day to post roll. Us OG Duck Fips have stuck together through it all and I do not plan on changing that anytime soon. I have often wondered if all the others are still quit or if I would be too if I had been healed at day 100...but then I see that KTC not only helps me quit but it also helps me become bettter. It is very humbling to admit addiction and it takes truth and caring to let someone else in especially people who were complete strangers.

But like I said this is still working for me and I do not want to rick fucking that up.

Well written Andy, Happy Easter and I will see you on roll again tomorrow.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »

Happy Easter everyone!

Offline Steakbomb18

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/13/2013
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »

Happy Easter everyone!
Certified Grade A Badass

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »

Happy Easter everyone!

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »

Happy Easter everyone!

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »

Happy Easter everyone!