Author Topic: Doofus Intro  (Read 19573 times)

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Intro
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
DAY 77.5...this is my journal BTW.....a little trick I learned from another bad ass quitter ( thanks KYBO)...66 thru 77 has been harder than imagined......I've been trying to save a brother who caved this week....been trying last night through this morning to get him to Post a new Day 1, personal for me because I had made a friend, we were on the same day and he caved

I'm not gonna get into why here, because there are no excuses, from one addict to the next I'll just say, I get why he caved, I get why addicts do stupid things even if it's not using, there is a whole range of defective behavior when battling addiction....interesting, I've had to learn the hard way.

I used the famous good cop/bad cop phase on purpose in our April Roll because I want my group to post in support of July so he can see everyone supporting him, I chose to be a good cop to him...I knew there would be different takes....maybe there should...what's the old saying...."it takes a village....".....maybe it takes a village to get an addict to quit, maybe good cops and bad cops are necessary.....I'm sure one day, I'll play the role of bad cop....maybe today I'm just a pussy and are hoping my brother posts tonight because I was kind enough to be merciful....maybe he'll disappoint me, if its your brother....does it matter? You do what ever you think you need to do to get the addict to stop.

I playing it this way because I was concerned about getting him back on roll as soon as possible...the farther the end of quit gets, the harder it gets....remember a WastePanel Speech from earlier today? Look him up, HOF speech I think, otherwise it's in our roll today....That's what I was worried about with Pat....and also because I used for 30 years, quit for 7 months, caved for 9 whole months before finding KTC....I'm trying to pay it back for Pat so he does not repeat my failure. I didn't want Pat to become me......make the same mistake by rolling the dice of life or death for 9 more months......call me crazy

.....its all learning, this strengthens our own quits!....and it will Strengthen Pat in July, he'll be a leader to someone else and will pay it back....he knows what's like to fail now.

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm 77 days now....learnings....an addict replaces what he/she lost with something else.....replace that something with positive things....not something like alcohol.....not much of a drinker anymore at age 46, but I noticed two episodes of drinking to excess through 77 quit days, more than I've had in 10 years....neither episode accomplished anything but risking my quit and bad decisions. I find it no coincidence that I over-indulged on booze....maybe the nic bitch made me do it in a weak ass attempt to get me on her tit again....she failed because I stayed quit but it's no coincidence. Watch yourself with replacement strategies.....food I imagine is another common one, guys complain about getting fatter on quit

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
KTC Lingo

Burn Your Boats Leave no option for failure. More on that here
EDD =Every Damn Day. The prescribed method for posting roll call. More on that here
Retread = A member who at some point has had to restart their day count after relapsing and consuming nicotine.
Caver = See: retread.
NAFAR = Never Again for any Reason. Because of this
QLF = Quit like fuck. Indicates that your quit is undeniable for the day. Say hi to Coach Steve
Serial Caver = Someone who caves multiple times despite having the KTC support system.
Special Butterfly = Someone who feels that they are somehow different than the rest of the addicts here and therefore can ignore sound advice on how to beat addiction daily.
Ghey = Odd, off, weird, a doosh or dooshbag or someone that takes it in the NOLAQ hole.
ODAAT = One day at a time.
BAM! Right in the ass! = Saying used by June '14 while telling a fictitious story about THansen.
*poof = I screwed that post up, and I'm deleting it and letting you know there really is nothing to see here. (Aka: Dry fire by May '14 ... apparently they charge a royalty to use it)
QFL = Quit For Life. Double meaning... quit for health reasons and a long time.
BAQ = Bad Ass Quitter
NHNNNIML = Not Here Not Now Not In My Lip - Coined by one of the true BAQ's, Cavman. Never used by anyone else ever. Not even once.
Fapping/Fap Posting/Frapping = To begin posting in a thread (signified by "members posting" found at the bottom of a page) and attract a large audience anticipating the nugget of wisdom to follow, only to close out said post and never return, ending in the unified disappointment of the crowd. Also, to masturbate; ask your dad about that one.
Frassy = The special brand of sass employed by KTC members who also hold membership in Greek life or social fraternities. See: TKE1982, Chris; Haug, Bass.
Bump - When someone posts to bring a thread to the top of the page, as I did just now, as to draw attention to the thread, or for mass distribution. Also, when two people post at the same time, and one person 'bumps' another from Roll. Usually happens in the newer groups, and is, I think...hilarious.
WUPP = Wake Up, Piss, Post. This refers to how one should handle their roll posts daily. It allows for one to get their promise out early, and leave no room for nicotine to worm it's way in between promises.
Pag/paggot= Post-and-ghoster/ some whine who comes in, post, messes up roll/ just barely passes the bar to be a member adj:"that pag f$ked roll up again"-zmckee13
MIQ- missing in quit
BIC Bullet In Cheek - Meant to convey the idea that putting a dip in your lip is about equivalent as shooting a bullet in your cheek...its just a slower death than the actual thing... - "Don't be stupid and let Nic put a BIC in ya"
QLAMFEDD - Quit Like a Motha' Effer Every Damn Day
Special Snowflake - someone who knows everything there is to know about quitting, and consequently, anything that they do not agree with or understand is wrong and illogical.
SH = Stupid Hurts-- I will ensure I used that in a sentence today...LOL
NGGYUNGLYDNGRAADY -- Self explanatory
Quith - Contraction of the words quit and with; as in "Quith you today".
Vortex - A long thread of quotes.
Fa- A long, long way to run....
LDDGFNQ -- Low Down Dirty Good For Nothing Quitter, courtesy of canofbeans
IQWYT- I Quit With You Today
PTBQWYT- Proud To Be Quit With You Today (variant of the one above this)
Wipe Your Feet posting roll in a group before commenting. A courtesy that is requested, usually when there an argument with a "vet"
Shitnado An argument that has the potential to turn into a Vortex

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »
Pure Gold Doofus - I'll be quitting with you EDD

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 07:20:00 AM »
Killer intro Brother Doofus!

Honored to quit with you!

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
I hear your warning, 100 days is not a milestone to me....this is why I mention it in my intro....It's one drop in the bucket of one day at a time forever.

Thanks man, happy to be quit today eith you.

Offline Dundippin

• Quitter
  • Shift your focus so you do not think about it
    • Recovery Meeting Place
  • Quit Date: 9/15/2015
  • Interests: Web development, database design, management, weightlifting, bike riding, gardening and watching the Baltimore Ravens.
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »
It sounds like you have your mind made up on this quit and that is the entire battle.

Once you stop the conversation in your head about whether to do one more or not, then the rest is easy.

It is great how you are playing it forward.

Let me warn you that when you think you have this addiction conquered and you are hitting a milestone date - that when you feel the urge and thought to dip again creep in.

I am not saying this to be a downer.

I am saying this to prepare you for the experience.

I quit with you today.

Quit On!

Dundippin day 920

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
  • Quit Date: 1/7/2018
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
Proud to quit with you, Dave.

I find the diary aspect of my Intro page to be quite therapeutic. Like you, I hope that maybe somebody that is still early in their attempt to quit, or maybe just thinking about trying to quit, might find something in my intro to be helpful to them. But, I honestly write in the diary for me. I consider it to be another tool that I can use from the KTC tool shed whenever I need it. It keeps my reasons for quitting front and center in my mind which I think helps keep complacency from knocking on my door.

Kyle
"No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
"That's what's great about the outdoors, you know. It's one giant toilet."
"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
An addict on a mission!
This is Salty......
I quit with you today Sir.
Rawls 1219
I believe.....

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »
Quote from: Athan
Righteous testimony Doofus! I see stuff like this and the parallels to my own story and then see a young father with a round can and I cringe.
I can't make him listen any more than anyone could have made me listen.
But we can help the ones that come here to post with us and walk that path.
You are an inspiration!
BTW- the PAW thread from WildIrish you pointed out was a great read, it inspired me to put pen to paper on KTC, more proof that paying forward and sharing experiences helps me, the next guy and yourself all at one time

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
Righteous testimony Doofus! I see stuff like this and the parallels to my own story and then see a young father with a round can and I cringe.
I can't make him listen any more than anyone could have made me listen.
But we can help the ones that come here to post with us and walk that path.
You are an inspiration!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
Intro
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »
Hey fellow quitters,

This is late but things have to happen sometimes to inspire words. My posts and learnings after 66 quit days inspired me.

I'm well into my quit now striving for 100 days tobacco free but there was a thread in March 2018 started by one of my April 18 quit brothers Bigslim....lots of great communication. I took it as an opportunity to reach out privately to Bigslim with digits because I remember him reaching out early to me....a total stranger but common goal to rid oneself of this awful addiction we all have.

I also want to share something with everyone. I shared with Bigslim and some of you already know this from me but I'm writing this introduction for future Newbies to be able to hear my story. Yes, I want to pay this forward. Newbies will see and learn acronyms like ODAT, QWYT, WUPP, PAWS etc....part of this quit is proactiveness to learn from others who quit before you, study their process of addiction, learn about your own addiction, make a promise 1 day at a time to stay off nicotine, learn how to reconcile your own addiction and stay in recovery for the rest of your life and invest in other total strangers recovery which in turn becomes a part of your recovery. If I've missed some steps, so be it, the journey is yours to own......important thing is that everyone is connected in their journey out of addiction, studying it, sharing your experience and embracing an approach that works..... if you value accountability, support and learning then you will survive your addiction to nicotine. I came to KTC because I was too weak to beat tobacco on my own.

FACT 1- I have learned and accepted that I'm an addict. I needed to write that....it's true. I needed help, KTC is providing that help, even if I fail someday, although I'm not planning to fail tomorrow or in future, today I've stayed quit, tomorrow will eventually be today and I'll post roll and my promise to stay quit on THAT DAY and make it through TO THE NEXT day.

FACT 2- 46 years of age now but I've used tobacco since high school, started and finished with Skoal, cigarettes in between, but college athletes don't smoke but other forms of tobacco ok?!?!? Everyone playing football and baseball dips. 25 years later, here I am with a wad of shit in my mouth. I was coming from a 7 month solo quit and a 9 month cave before finding KTC....yes, quit solo for 7months, then shit my pants and caved then I found KTC in Jan 2018....imagine that....100 days is nothing but dont look at it like that....it's day by day, that pain we all having will pass....but u can't let your guard down any day, any time.....we all quit every day, forever....the quit never stops....we all have to come to grips with that fact. Ive helped a few buddies quit drinking, cocaine, pills, weed and gambling. These guys joined groups, saw doctors and therapists.....SO DID I, it's called KTC. Tobacco seems to get underadvertised as an addiction....other drugs of choice have greater connotations of evil. Tobacco is just as evil and destructive. Say these words every day, "we are no better than heroin, cocaine, alcohol or meth addicts".....fucked up thing is that Tobacco is legally sold at every corner convenience store....think about that too.

Fact 3- Went to doctor in March 2018. 3 month checkup. Bastard hounds me every 3 months with blood work. My issues have been weight (at age 45. 6-4 300lb no good), played at 265lb, have had trouble getting it off. Issues started to boil last few years with sugars, Cholesterol, BP.....Skoal isn't good for all this stuff. Found out from him that Skoal, especially the volume I used at, can cause diabetes, fucks with bodys ability to process. I've remained active, believe or not I've run 3 half marathons in last 5years, fat guys sometimes can move Ok. Doc has been cool with Quit, had his own issues with Cope years ago. Happy to report, I got down to 250 over last 3 months and with Quit all my blood issues are gone. Got 25lbs left to shed, stay quit, keep hitting the weight room and treadmill. SKOAL is a motherfucker, just wanted everyone to know it's not just cancer that dip fucks you on....it's your entire body's health that's on the line. I had to get kicked in the teeth by a doctor to realize my addiction was going to kill me.

HEAD UP, STAY QUIT.....WE ALL QUIT TODAY AND PROUD TO BE QUIT WITH EVERYONE.

DAVE- Aka DOOFUS

Ps- Now you all know why I picked DOOFUS as a name....7 month solo quit and I CAVED...DOOFUS move:) More like an addict move. It is what is....fail, pick yourself up....then choose not to fail. Failure is a choice but it's what you do after you fail that matters. STAY QUIT.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Doofus Intro
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
Really honored to quit with you brother.  Congratulations on your first lap.  You are doing this the right way.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
Stumbled onto this darn site, stumbled onto you and your darn digits.  Led me to darn freedom from nicotine and alcohol. Darn it all.
Hot man love to you big Dave.  Thanks for all the support.  Looking forward to an afternoon at Paddy's sometime in the future, hey, at least we're on the same coast!
Here's to freedom and one more day with you, darn it.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
  • Quit Date: 1/7/2018
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
Congratulations on your first year of quit!  Job well done, my friend. 
"No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
"That's what's great about the outdoors, you know. It's one giant toilet."
"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23