Author Topic: Here it is: Day 1  (Read 509 times)

Offline jpetmpls

• Quitter
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 01.12.15
  • Interests: Hockey, motorcycles, bar/restaurant business, marathons, trail running. Ingested nicotine profusely in many forms for nearly 22 years
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Here it is: Day 1
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
Quote from: TheJeeper
Thank you all for the encouragement. I will be honest, I am not an emotional guy, but I teared up when I read your comments. It has been five days and I am absolutely miserable. I thought I could get by without posting roll, but you all are right: I need to post. I haven't slept and I am angry all the time, but I know that this is worth it. I haven't taken a chew in five days now and I have been crossing off days on my calendar proudly. Thank you to each of you for holding me accountable and I will do the same for each of you. I am in it to win it. I fucking hate tobacco and the grip it has on my life, but I refuse to sign the Contract to Give Up.
Boom. I bet you felt relief. We're proud to have another soldier on our side. Hang out in your April '17 group. There are plenty others that are at the same place as you right now. Read HOF's and intros to pass the time. You won't believe how much in common you have with all of these strangers. Welcome.

Offline TheJeeper

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-01-01
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 03:35:00 AM »
Just an update on progress:

I posted role here: topic/11758795/857/#new
I hope that that was the right place and way to post.

I had a stash of empty cans that I threw away today. I thought that I would save them as reminders of the past and that was a stupid idea. Staring at cans only made me want to go get another, but I didn't. My friends all chew and I told them to keep that crap away from me. I have lied about my chewing for a long time and hiding behind a username on a website feels like hiding my habit. My real name is Kyle Sallee and I was an avid dipper. This year, that is going to change.

Offline TheJeeper

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:16:00 AM »
Thank you all for the encouragement. I will be honest, I am not an emotional guy, but I teared up when I read your comments. It has been five days and I am absolutely miserable. I thought I could get by without posting roll, but you all are right: I need to post. I haven't slept and I am angry all the time, but I know that this is worth it. I haven't taken a chew in five days now and I have been crossing off days on my calendar proudly. Thank you to each of you for holding me accountable and I will do the same for each of you. I am in it to win it. I fucking hate tobacco and the grip it has on my life, but I refuse to sign the Contract to Give Up.

Offline Frobozz

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
Quote from: jpetmpls
Gonna man up or keep living your life in the shadows? Do yourself a favor and read your initial post out loud, or better yet, have someone read it to you. If it doesn't sound pathetic to you, you're not ready. The only difference between us and you is we make the decision daily, we post our decision daily, and we're accountable to each other daily. I would do anything to have made this decision 20 years ago. You have the winning lottery ticket in your hand, bud. Post roll and cash it in.
+1

TheJeeper, others may judge you; I will not. We're all in the same boat, after all. It's all about staying clean and being accountable to each other as peers. Note well the phrase 'as peers' - we have neither badges nor gavels in this place. I'll call you out if you cave, because I know you'll do the same to me if I cave.

So yes...yes, post roll. It's an excellent tool to keep recovery going. I promise to you that I will not use nicotine today. I humbly request that you return the promise - that you put your hand in mine, and together we do what we cannot do alone.

So...toss the tin, post roll every morning, and be accountable.

Well, it's time for me to go to work (I work the evening shift, so my workday hasn't started yet). I trust you'll post back to this thread with your thoughts as to what we've written. I will check back around 1AM United States Eastern time to see your messages, if any.

Above all else...don't dip or use any other nicotine.

Be well,
Jim.

Offline jpetmpls

• Quitter
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 01.12.15
  • Interests: Hockey, motorcycles, bar/restaurant business, marathons, trail running. Ingested nicotine profusely in many forms for nearly 22 years
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
Gonna man up or keep living your life in the shadows? Do yourself a favor and read your initial post out loud, or better yet, have someone read it to you. If it doesn't sound pathetic to you, you're not ready. The only difference between us and you is we make the decision daily, we post our decision daily, and we're accountable to each other daily. I would do anything to have made this decision 20 years ago. You have the winning lottery ticket in your hand, bud. Post roll and cash it in.

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
Not surprisingly... that didn't last long.

Dude, if you even come back to read this (I saw you were on yesterday)... your love affair mindset has to change. The backlash from getting caught, which has happened to all of us, only lasts for so long. The addiction almost always wins out over a little shame. Be a man and Quit because you want this for yourself... because you're tired on being a slave to a tin... because you're ruining your health and killing yourself... because you're pissing your money away... because big tobacco owns you and that's just fucking wrong. What most of us wouldn't give to have quit when we were your age.

Get on roll.
Get. This. Done.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
I cannot hold you accountable if you don't post roll.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »
Have you dumped all your cans into the toilet, and rinsed the crumbs out of them? If not, that's your first step.

Your second step is to find the April '17 quit group, and post roll. Post roll every day early in the morning. By posting roll, you promise yourself and everyone in this community that you will not use nicotine in any form for the day.

Post roll, get active with this group, and you wil be held accountable, and get all the support you need to stay quit.

Offline TheJeeper

• Quitter
Here it is: Day 1
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
I never thought that this day would come because I never thought that I would start chewing at all. As a kid, I found my dads can behind his truck seat and took one taste...I thought it was so gross to chew that I spat it out and swore to my best buddy I would never do it, but 9 years later at the age of 18, I succumbed to peer pressure and got hooked. At first, I chewed because I liked the flavor and I wanted to fit in, but after a year my habit changed. I couldn't go a day without chewing, I lied to anyone I dated about my habit, and I would sneak away from family events to have a quick chew where no one could see. My parents joked that as I became older I had become a hermit, but they didn't know that I was trying to hide my addiction. I think I hit my lowest of lows when I became a can-a-day chewer of Kodiak. I loved the stuff and just couldn't stop using it. When my girlfriend of two years found a can in my jeep, I told her it was a friends and proceeded to lie to her about chewing for another year.

I am 22 now and in April I am going to be 23. The success rate of New Year's Resolutions isn't very high, but I have been slowly chewing less and less for the past two months so that I could officially quit on January 1, 2017. This year I have a theme of "rejuvenation." I want to get my life back and start feeling healthy again. The first step in this journey is to ditch chew altogether and I am hoping that you all can hold help to inspire me and hold me accountable. Happy New Year!