Author Topic: Das Quit  (Read 3079 times)

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Das Quit
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Day 22
Today was pretty cool. Spent the day with my boys. Although I craved a bit only because I would usually chew with this kind of opportunity today (day off), I stayed quit and strong. It felt really good to beat that craving down, to know I am strong enough now that I can tell it to fuck off.
HOF: 17-JUL-2010

I am saved by God's grace and I am quit through His strength, courage, and power.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Day 21
Oh boy and holy shit – I’ve made it 3 fucking weeks and I can’t even begin to comprehend it all. I’m so excited because I never thought I would ever quit in the first place, let alone quit for 3 weeks. It’s all too hard to fathom at the moment.

Nothing really new to report – throat still hurts (fuck what's up with that?), cravings are not too bad, and as I do think about Skoal once in a while it isn’t as much as even Monday. Also, I’m to a point where I can think about Skoal, but not in a using it sense or craving sort of way, just that I haven’t used it or yeah there it is; if that makes any sense. I definitely believe the more you continue to go through your daily routine without it, it becomes easier and easier to avoid the cravings. I am reprogramming my brain, and it’s working much easier and faster than I thought.

I’m visiting the site less and less each day, as I find I do better when I’m not around people talking about it constantly. See, I don’t work with anyone who uses, I have no friends who use, and I don’t bother to visit many places where you can purchase it (or see it); for the most part I am concealed from it and if I don’t visit the site and keep busy, honestly I don’t even miss it (or think about it). I wish I could jump up to Day 50 just for this fact alone. Oh boy, but watch out – it’s that kind of think’n that will get you in trouble.

Stay vigilant my friends; stay QUIT!

I am saved by God's grace and I am quit through His strength, courage, and power.

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
Day 20
These last two days, I feel at times like an amputee victim. When you have a part of you amputated, e.g., a leg or arm, the person can feel as though the body part is still there and can have pain (i.e., phantom pain) that feels as though itÂ’s coming from that body part. Skoal has been amputated from my life; however I still feel as itÂ’s there with me. I look around, trying to find some hidden stash, but thereÂ’s no hidden stash and I doubt I would chew even if I found something.

I have a hard time believing the following post, “…here I sit at work, chewing on a toothpick. Never thought I’d say this but it sure beats the hell outa a dip…”

I see posts like this almost every morning when I post roll call, mostly from different people – it doesn’t matter who. When I see a post like this I want to say, “Bullshit motherfucker!” I’m on day 20 and a toothpick sucks, a juicy lipper would be better. I’m not afraid to say this, I’m honest – I want a dip right now and nothing will replace that. I feel as though there are those out there who write whatever they think people want to hear. Fuck, may be they do this to make them look good or pass suspicion to another. Hell may be this person really feels this way – doubt it unless they dipped for less than two years and only on the weekends when they drank. I just find it hard to believe that so early in one’s Quit to feel as though a toothpick beats the hell outta a juicy lipper. I want to believe I will feel that way at Day 100 – in fact it’s what I need to believe to keep me moving forward in my Quit – but as I am on Day 20 I cannot say that I feel this way. Each day is very difficult for me; however I stay Quit because I want to be alive and not chock-full-of-cancer, not because a toothpick beats the hell outta a dip.

My throat still hurts, fuck.

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
ItÂ’s hard for me to understand how a pouch of tobacco, one fall evening in 1993, led to 6,065 days of cancer causing habit; almost destroying my education, career, marriage, family, and character (e.g., the lying, stealing, and manipulation). ItÂ’s hard for me to believe that IÂ’ve been chewing tobacco for practically half my life (approximately 45.94%). I finally got caught by my wife for the last time, IÂ’m finally tired of being scared that IÂ’ll die of cancer, IÂ’m finally tired of not being able to look my two boys in the eyes out of shame, and IÂ’m tired of planning my day around a substance that will take my life; I QUIT.

DAY 1 – 3
Getting over the nicotine addiction was easy for me and I didnÂ’t think twice about it. I kept busy; I was thinking more about saving my marriage at the time rather than chewing tobacco. I was euphoric these days; crazy happy because I was finally quitting for real, finally being honest to myself and my family, and finally not worried about my next fix of nicotine.

Day 4
Oh holy hell. This was hell on Earth and I really donÂ’t remember too much about it. All I can remember was that I was watching the clock, non-stop, counting down the hours I was nicotine and dip free. I visited the site more times that day than any other. I read the material and looked at the pictures; all of which solidified my Quit and desire, and desperation, to remain Quit.
I realized that this day was the first day in almost 17 years that I played basketball without being under the influence of nicotine. I didnÂ’t play well that night.

Day 5 – 10
Honestly, not too bad. Just glad to get through Day 4 and posting Roll Call each morning helped tremendously. Whenever I thought I needed a chew, I visited the site and read the posts, explored the material once again, and looked at the pictures; all serving to continue my resolve.

On Day 7, I received the news that a person who was quitting with me caved. Devastated, I marched on to post roll again and again in spite…I know I’m better than a caver, show them all bitch. Although, in the back of my mind with each passing day, knowing that I’ve never quit for more than 11 days…I was scared. A sore throat began on Day 10; it was like a lightening bolt through my throat’s left side – oh, boy what was this all about?

Day 11
I am honestly scared of what is to come. IÂ’ve thought about chew more today than any other day, besides Day 4 (one week ago). Posting roll call was so much more important today and I visited the site to read the posts, but mainly to read the horror stories. Each story penetrated my resolve and added another brick to the Quit wall. I am angrier at myself for doing this than ever before. My sore throat continues to bother me.

Day 12 – 19
I am truly excited; with each day, with each post, I have gone further than I ever have before. Although my tongue hurts at times and I have a sore inside my cheek on Day 12 (which subsequently has gone away), my sore throat is getting better which is nice, itÂ’s all worth it in the end. These were days of no significance in the sense that despite my war on nicotine and dip I merely went to work and then spent time with my family with little regard to cravings.

On Day 14 I decided to begin to write this account of my first 100 days. I figured that if I wrote this out it would help build another row of bricks to the Quit wall and possibly assist others who may read this testimony. This day (14) is shaping into one of the toughest yet. On the website, we’ve been talking about chew; more so than other days and in more detail as well. This has got me thinking about caving, purchasing some Skoal and chewing a fat lipper. Unfortunately, tonight I have the opportunity; tonight is basketball night and I have the ability to leave the house without really having an excuse and to further complicate things I also need gas in my car. I am in a real bad position; I have an opportunity and means. The thoughts of buying some Skoal and dipping a fat lipper were sweet; I struggled with this for most of the early evening and with each passing minute and hour I was getting scared that I would follow through. I started rationalizing: “only I would know”, “it’s early enough in your quit that it doesn’t matter”, “just lie about it”, “you didn’t get a proper last dip”, etc. Honestly, I was scared I would cave…I took my driver’s license from my wallet (left my wallet), grabbed the keys for my wife’s car, and left for basketball. I was proud of myself for getting out of that situation intact because any other time I tried to quit I would have caved immediately, without question. I successfully removed myself from the opportunity (i.e., didn’t need to go to the gas station) and the means (i.e., no credit cards or cash on me). Slowly, but surely, I am getting better at playing basketball without nicotine; amazing.

Day 19 is just flat-out weird. I started looking around my cube at work for some Skoal. Like I would have any left lying around in my desk; and I started to wonder if I found something would I cave? This is very intriguing and IÂ’m very scared of myself now. Also, I found myself judging someone for using Timber Wolf, like that mattersÂ…I guess I am a bit hormonal today.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Welcome.
Sadly most of us on here have stories similar to yours. Yes we all did things we are not proud of. I fight my ass off every day to make up for all of the things I have done over the past 23+ years of this shit.

You are in the right place. We can help you quit. If you need help sing out and watch how quickly it comes your way. Post your promise daily and live up to that promise.

Offline SAA

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 05/25/2009
  • Interests: Jesus Christ, Family, Hiking, restoring old 22s.
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
It looks like you made the biggest good decision already. Quitting chew is also a great decision. Post roll daily, be honorable and keep you word to the other quitters here. Take it one day at a time and you can do this.
Freedom date: 05/25/2009

Offline jbeee

• Quitter
  • Interests: FishingHuntingOutdoorsNot chewing anymore...ever
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Sounds like you're being pretty honest right now. I won't call you a dick unless you cave. Now, pull on your boots and get to quittin'.

Offline MichaelsNewLife

• Quitter
Das Quit
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
I wanted to introduce myself to the community, so here I am.

I'm a dick, never forget that, as well as a liar. I lie to lie, and I lie so much, I've lied about lies that I've lied about. But, my two biggest are the lies I've been telling my wife for the last 13 years and myself for the last 16 years. This makes me just about as worthless as chew itself; you are what you eat remember?

I've always wanted to quit. I always had a plan, "tomorrow is the day" or "I'll quit for the new year", or better yet "I'll quit when my son, er, next son, oops...ok, my next child's birth." Oh, this was always my favorite, "I'll just finish this can and then quit." 15-16 years later and see where that got me.

More lies and deception led to a rocky marriage, being an ass to my kids, and a couple of lost jobs. I had no idea it was all from that junk. What, are you for real? It sounds as though I'm a crack addict, or worse...yeah, that's something I didn't understand either. Nicotine is as bad as most drugs out there, addiction is addiction is addiction is addiction...I learned the hard way.

So, hey everyone - I'm a dick and a liar. However, from 09-Apr-10 until God calls my name I will be nicotine and dip free. Working each day to rebuild what I tore down and show everyone that I'm not as bad as I appeared to be these last 16 years. I trust in the power of Christ...He saved me from hell and He can save me from this shit.