Author Topic: BigRedDude  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BigRedDude
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Stangel/Murdough or another dorm? just curious.. 7th floor Murdough caught fire due to my dumbass back in 1988.

Offline bigreddude44

• Quitter
    • Runks.com
  • Quit Date: 2014-07-24
  • Interests: hunting, bowhunting, outdoors, football -Dallas Cowboys, Texas Tech Red Raiders, HSU Cowboys, working out, and QUITTING!
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Day 35

I've never been here before. I have not gone this many days without a dip since I was in 8th grade. 36 years ago. 19 freaking 78!

Today is an awesome day! I'm taking my family out to dinner to celebrate!

So glad I quit. So freaking glad!
Quit date: July 24,2014
HOF date: October 31, 2014
HOF speech: You're an idiot if you still dip.

my intro

"When I am weak, He is strong!" II Corinthians 12:10

Offline MonsterMedic

• Master of Quit
  • Proud member of the June 2014 Quit Saloon
  • Quit Date: 03.02.14
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
Quote from: THansen2413
Quote from: E&C's
Quote from: brettlees
Quote from: bigreddude44
Bad-To-The-Bone May Quitters: Place your name and promise NOT to use nicotine in any form today below here:

BigRedDude44- day 34 - smokey and the bandit trans am
Day 34

This is my last post from my failed quit with the May 2013 quit group. I've been looking forward to as well as dreading this day since I came back, took my licks, answered the 3 questions, and started over.

I've been looking forward to it because this day represents a huge milestone in my journey with snuff because 34 days is the all time record of days that I've ever gone without a dip. I've been looking forward to not having to admit that one time it the past i made it to more days than I currently have. And I've really been looking forward to Kicking this day in the butt and blowing through it to day 35.

On the other hand, I have been dreading this day because I knew that I would, and should, spend today reflecting on what an idiot I was that day. I honestly don't think I was planning to cave when I posted roll that day but I know it was in the back of my mind that I would be in a dangerous situation that night that I needed to prepare for, which of course I didn't.
I was flying to Baton Rouge, LA a day early for a gig and would have ample time on my hands with nothing to do. I should have called somebody, bought some fake, done something, but I didn't do a Daddgumm thing and around 10:30 pm I left my hotel room and bought a can. I was convinced that that first dip would be the best dip of my life because my lip was all healed up, the nicotine was completely out of my system and I just knew I'd get a buzz. So without thinking for one second about crapping all over my quit brothers here I opened the can crammed that crap in my mouth and to my dismay it wasn't really that good. No buzz, no burst of flavor, nothing. The only good thing about it was that it didn't hurt like hell but that only lasted for the first half of a can. I remember telling myself, "Don't worry. Just keep dipping. It'll get better." So I did and 400 plus cans and a year and half later it did nothing but get worse every single time. Talk about drinking the nicotine kool-aid! I can't believe I was that stupid! "Just keep dipping, it'll get better." Really?

So here I am, again, on day 34. The difference this time is that this is the last time I will ever be on day 34. There are many reasons why this is the last day 34 for me, most of which I covered in my "That day 12 - This day 12 post" but the biggest difference this time is the bonds and relationships I've built with my quit brothers (and sister). These are not just simply my accountability partners, they are becoming my friends. And I couldn't live with myself if I let them down and I refuse to do anything to hurt them or weaken their quit.

With their help, today I have tied my most days ever without a dip. Tomorrow I will surpass it.

Again, last time i was playing quit. This time I am quit!
Keep it up, you are doing it this time. It's real. Keep learning and sharing. That last post re dopamine was great- thanks!
Wow...BRD!!!! I can tell that you "get it". I am glad you waited until you fully understood the gravity of your cave before you came back. Take today to think about all the things you mentioned. Tomorrow wake up, taste that freedom and take a minute to be proud of what you have done thus far and how far you have come. I will quit with you any day!
Nice reflections. Proud to quit with you anyday! Keep being a rock of October!
Proud to be quit with you, Big Red. Keep pushing through, brother.
"Frank Pierce: Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world." - Bringing Out The Dead

Quit Date: 03-02-2014
HOF: 06-09-2014
3K and counting

Offline THansen2413

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2017-03-03
  • Interests: Vikings, Gophers, Wild. Enjoy running in the warm months.
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
Quote from: E&C's
Bad-To-The-Bone May Quitters: Place your name and promise NOT to use nicotine in any form today below here:

Day 34

This is my last post from my failed quit with the May 2013 quit group. I've been looking forward to as well as dreading this day since I came back, took my licks, answered the 3 questions, and started over.

I've been looking forward to it because this day represents a huge milestone in my journey with snuff because 34 days is the all time record of days that I've ever gone without a dip. I've been looking forward to not having to admit that one time it the past i made it to more days than I currently have. And I've really been looking forward to Kicking this day in the butt and blowing through it to day 35.

On the other hand, I have been dreading this day because I knew that I would, and should, spend today reflecting on what an idiot I was that day. I honestly don't think I was planning to cave when I posted roll that day but I know it was in the back of my mind that I would be in a dangerous situation that night that I needed to prepare for, which of course I didn't.
I was flying to Baton Rouge, LA a day early for a gig and would have ample time on my hands with nothing to do. I should have called somebody, bought some fake, done something, but I didn't do a Daddgumm thing and around 10:30 pm I left my hotel room and bought a can. I was convinced that that first dip would be the best dip of my life because my lip was all healed up, the nicotine was completely out of my system and I just knew I'd get a buzz. So without thinking for one second about crapping all over my quit brothers here I opened the can crammed that crap in my mouth and to my dismay it wasn't really that good. No buzz, no burst of flavor, nothing. The only good thing about it was that it didn't hurt like hell but that only lasted for the first half of a can. I remember telling myself, "Don't worry. Just keep dipping. It'll get better." So I did and 400 plus cans and a year and half later it did nothing but get worse every single time. Talk about drinking the nicotine kool-aid! I can't believe I was that stupid! "Just keep dipping, it'll get better." Really?

So here I am, again, on day 34. The difference this time is that this is the last time I will ever be on day 34. There are many reasons why this is the last day 34 for me, most of which I covered in my "That day 12 - This day 12 post" but the biggest difference this time is the bonds and relationships I've built with my quit brothers (and sister). These are not just simply my accountability partners, they are becoming my friends. And I couldn't live with myself if I let them down and I refuse to do anything to hurt them or weaken their quit.

With their help, today I have tied my most days ever without a dip. Tomorrow I will surpass it.

Keep it up, you are doing it this time. It's real. Keep learning and sharing. That last post re dopamine was great- thanks!
Wow...BRD!!!! I can tell that you "get it". I am glad you waited until you fully understood the gravity of your cave before you came back. Take today to think about all the things you mentioned. Tomorrow wake up, taste that freedom and take a minute to be proud of what you have done thus far and how far you have come. I will quit with you any day!
Nice reflections. Proud to quit with you anyday! Keep being a rock of October!
Quitters I've met in person : Keddy, boelker62, Big Brother Jack, baitbanjo, SirDerek, Chewie, Scowick65, theo3wood, mcarmo44, MonsterEMT, Bronc, dforbes, rocketman, Lance from SD, kdip, wastepanel, quitspit, basshaug, greenspidy, 30yrAddict, btdogboy, cmark, chrisTKE1982, Jeffro Dolfie, Clampy, carlh2o, JGlav, ReWire, Chewrouski_Philly, Sranger999, walterwhite, DWEIRICK, spit cup, FranPro, ericfluck

E&C's Dad

« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »

Day 34

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »

Day 34

This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline bigreddude44

• Quitter
    • Runks.com
  • Interests: hunting, bowhunting, outdoors, football -Dallas Cowboys, Texas Tech Red Raiders, HSU Cowboys, working out, and QUITTING!
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »

Day 34

my intro

Offline bigreddude44

• Quitter
    • Runks.com
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Quote from: david.m
Day 26

Some interesting research:

on Nicotine as a dopamine releasing drug, ala heroin and other opiates:

"Nicotine and opiates are very different drugs, but the endpoint, with respect to the control of dopamine signaling, is almost identical. It demonstrates the seriousness of tobacco addiction, equating its grip on the individual to that of heroin. It reinforces the fact that these addictions are very physiological in nature and that breaking away from the habit is certainly more than just mind over matter."- Daniel McGehee, University of Chicago Medical Center."The 10 Hardest Drugs to Kick"
- by Jacqueline Detwiler

The chemical makeup of drugs guarantee that certain drugs are more addictive than others. The hardest ones to kick actually train your brain to crave them. A team of researchers led by professor David Nutt of London's Imperial College recently set out to determine which drugs were most harmful based on their addictive properties. Dutch scientists replicated the London study and devised a "dependency rating" that measured addictive potency of the biggest drugs out there on a precisely calibrated scale of 0-to-3.
1. Heroin - 2.89
2. Crack Cocaine - 2.82
3. Nicotine - 2.82 (tied with Crack for second "most addictive and hardest to kick" drug!!!)
4. Methadone - 2.68
5. Crystal Meth - 2.24
6. Alcohol - 2.13
7. Cocaine - 2.13
8. Amphetamines - 1.95
9. Benzodiazepines - 1.89
10. GHB - 1.71

on the first 100 days:

"There is growing evidence that on average, it takes about 90 days for the brain to break free of the immediate effects of the drug and reset itself. Researchers at Yale University call this 90-to-100 day period the 'sleeper effect,' a time during which the brain's proper... functions gradually recover."- Tony O'Neill, in his article, "The 100-Day Hangover""Whatever substance you're detoxing from, there's always an attachment. We're talking about people who are cutting off something that has started to feel as vital to them as the air they breathe. So you inevitably go through this painful period of wrenching yourself away from it, and now you're feeling lousy. It's pretty common for many recovering addicts to ask, 'Is this the reward I get for getting clean?' Most people are led to believe that once they stop using, their life will start to get better, when in reality this next period can really suck. But it gets better."- Dr. Arnold Washton, author of Willpower is Not Enough: Recovering From Addictions of Every Kind on not replacing nicotine-addiction with other dopamine-releasing-addictions:

"If you stop using your drug of choice but continue to use alcohol or another drug, you're saying that you don't want to learn new coping skills and that you don't want to change your life. You're saying that you want to continue to rely on drugs or alcohol to escape, relax, and reward yourself. But if you don't learn those new skills, then you won't have changed, and your addiction will catch up with you all over again.- www.AddictionsAndRecovery.orgI read another article (can't find it now to post the quotes) that essentially explained that "addicts are addicts." Meaning, after nicotine has left the body, our cravings are not really cravings for nicotine... they're cravings for dopamine. After years of nicotine use we've created extra "gates" in our brain through which the excess amount of dopamine was able to get to the brain. Now that we've stopped using, those "gates" are huuuungry. We get normal-sized shots of dopamine when we eat, have sex, exercise, complete tasks, etc... but we may also find our cravings pop up soon after (like the post-meal crave)... that's because the brain is used to getting bigger drops of dopamine at a time... so the natural ways we produce it aren't equal to the unnatural/drug-induced ways. So it wants more. The brain doesn't know (or care) what source is feeding it the excessive amounts of dopamine it's used to. So, often nicotine quitters will transition to another addiction - usually alcohol - and they're not actually breaking addiction at all, only shifting it to a new dopamine-source. The article advised steering clear of all drugs/alcohol during the first 100 days of nicotine-quitting so that the brain has time to recover and re-learn proper balance.
Some awesome info on addiction from David.M's intro. I'm posting it here because I want to remember it.

my intro

Offline bigreddude44

• Quitter
    • Runks.com
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Quote from: FMBM707
I've posted part of this other places on the board and I wanted to post it here so I would remember it.

Last week I went on the first hunting trip of my entire life without crap in my mouth. Beforehand, I had tons of thoughts like: "How am I gonna do this without a dip?" or "I can't go hunting without a dip!" etc. etc. etc But then a really simple thought popped into my head that changed everything.

"I love to hunt, why do I need poison in my mouth to enjoy it?"

I know its a not mind blowing, earth shattering revelation but its the truth and it worked. I also planned ahead and took plenty of fake dip and let several quit brothers know where I was going to be and stayed in contact with them while I was there. I know the mantra here is ODAAT and I wholeheartedly agree with it but I think there are times that planning ahead is a good idea especially when it comes to activities that have been strongly associated with dipping in the past and hunting and dipping were like guns and ammo to me. Neither was any good without the other.

That line of thinking now makes me want to flip crap over and throw stuff through walls! "I can't enjoy something that I absolutely love without slowly killing myself while I do it." Really?? What the crap kind of thinking is that? That is so freaking stupid because every time i sat in a deer blind one thing was certain, I may or may not have killed a deer but I was dang sure killing me!

I'm glad those days are behind me and I live to hunt another day. 'Remshot'
^^^^ BigRed knows what he's talking about. Keep up the great QUIT brother. Burn the Boats, feed the wolf. I'll quit with you every day.
I'm feeding one wolf and killing the other one!!

Quit All day, Every day with you Stevo!

my intro

Offline bigreddude44

• Quitter
    • Runks.com
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Quote from: rusty

rusty shackle-ford- day 18 had some nic gum today, what a hell of a day

This has got to be the funniest roll post ever! And he got roasted too!

Check it out here: topic/1009696/356/

my intro

Offline Heisenberg

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-14
  • Interests: Mountain Bikes, Hunting and fishing.
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
I've posted part of this other places on the board and I wanted to post it here so I would remember it.

Last week I went on the first hunting trip of my entire life without crap in my mouth. Beforehand, I had tons of thoughts like: "How am I gonna do this without a dip?" or "I can't go hunting without a dip!" etc. etc. etc But then a really simple thought popped into my head that changed everything.

I know its a not mind blowing, earth shattering revelation but its the truth and it worked. I also planned ahead and took plenty of fake dip and let several quit brothers know where I was going to be and stayed in contact with them while I was there. I know the mantra here is ODAAT and I wholeheartedly agree with it but I think there are times that planning ahead is a good idea especially when it comes to activities that have been strongly associated with dipping in the past and hunting and dipping were like guns and ammo to me. Neither was any good without the other.

That line of thinking now makes me want to flip crap over and throw stuff through walls! "I can't enjoy something that I absolutely love without slowly killing myself while I do it." Really?? What the crap kind of thinking is that? That is so freaking stupid because every time i sat in a deer blind one thing was certain, I may or may not have killed a deer but I was dang sure killing me!

Great Post BigRed. Keep Quittin!

Offline FMBM707

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-05-06
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »

^^^^ BigRed knows what he's talking about. Keep up the great QUIT brother. Burn the Boats, feed the wolf. I'll quit with you every day.

Offline bigreddude44

• Quitter
    • Runks.com
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »

my intro

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Quote from: B-loMatt
Quote from: Quitforsoj
Thanks for sharing - I loved your comparison between you last attempt and this one --huge difference and a bunch for me to learn...... I am on my second round -
HOF May - caved in June!
Thanks man. I'm my glad my ramblings were helpful to you! Stories like yours scare the crap out of me! It blows my mind how many times I hear about guys that make it to the HOF and then cave. I want to learn from guys who have been down that road so it doesn't happen to me! What happened? If you could go back in time to your 100th day what would you tell yourself to save your quit??
BRD, I had a few longish stoppages before I found KTC, and my downfall each time was thinking that I could have just one. I did not have the understanding that I was a nicotine addict. I did not have the knowledge of how nicotine addiction works. I was romanticizing the poison, and had no hatred for the scum-bag, soulless drug pushers who sell the poison. I thought I had this quitting thing down and could quit anytime. I had forgotten day 1. Also, I had next to no accountability built up.

My quit has been so easy for a while now, and it is so easy to forget the hell I went through to get here, and how long it took me between stoppages to work up the will to try and quit again. Stay in the trenches here. Helping week 1 quitters helps you remember the hell of early quit, and builds your accountability. Basically, keep doing what you've been doing, and be ready to use every tool you have if you need to. Great quit going on here, keep it up. QLF with you all day.
You are way more involved here this time-- keep it up! You gotta stay involved. The addiction attempts to make you separate out, the bitch whispers that she'll keep you company, she's been there for you all these years, every time. She keeps doing that, so learn really well how to slap it back and kick her to the curb, every time. Learn how to do other things in those situations that make you feel good.
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Quote from: Quitforsoj
Thanks for sharing - I loved your comparison between you last attempt and this one --huge difference and a bunch for me to learn...... I am on my second round -
HOF May - caved in June!
Thanks man. I'm my glad my ramblings were helpful to you! Stories like yours scare the crap out of me! It blows my mind how many times I hear about guys that make it to the HOF and then cave. I want to learn from guys who have been down that road so it doesn't happen to me! What happened? If you could go back in time to your 100th day what would you tell yourself to save your quit??
BRD, I had a few longish stoppages before I found KTC, and my downfall each time was thinking that I could have just one. I did not have the understanding that I was a nicotine addict. I did not have the knowledge of how nicotine addiction works. I was romanticizing the poison, and had no hatred for the scum-bag, soulless drug pushers who sell the poison. I thought I had this quitting thing down and could quit anytime. I had forgotten day 1. Also, I had next to no accountability built up.

My quit has been so easy for a while now, and it is so easy to forget the hell I went through to get here, and how long it took me between stoppages to work up the will to try and quit again. Stay in the trenches here. Helping week 1 quitters helps you remember the hell of early quit, and builds your accountability. Basically, keep doing what you've been doing, and be ready to use every tool you have if you need to. Great quit going on here, keep it up. QLF with you all day.