Author Topic: Triggers  (Read 3375 times)

Offline sts

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Triggers
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
i'm up over 120 days now, and for me i may get to a day or two without thinking about dip at all... but the next day i will still be thinking about it like a mofo. about how easy it still would be if i stopped off at the store and picked up a can.

but every day i tell myself i'm growing my quit total by one day, and i stick by that.
HOF Date: 4/4/2011

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Quote from: NKT
Quote from: cjs238
Quote from: teaka
Im just curious how long i can expect to deal with cravings and related shit for.  i am only on day 21 and chewed for about 14 years or so.  i know im a total addict and will have to forever be alert and keep my Quit guarded, but i guess im just wondering if you ever get to a point where you can live weeks, months, etc without thinking about dip.  Any insight from major veterans appreciated.
thx
I'm not an expert, but my theory is that YES, there will come a day when you go weeks or even months without thinking about it. That time is likely a LONG ways away. It varies for everyone, but the day will come. You'll always be an addict, but 10 years from now, you won't be dwelling on nicotene like you are today.

I am on day 215 and I can tell you that the craves are fewer, farther between and much less intense. I still believe I have a shorter temper, more anger and am a bit more anxious, but I am slowing learning how to deal with those emotions and things are improving. I hid behind a can a skoal for 20 years :), now I must learn how to deal more appropriately with people and my feelings towards them.
I have to hold on to a hope that at some point down the road there will come a day when i don't think about dip, don't get massive craves after i eat a meal, or find myself staring into space unable to concentrate on anything at all. I think beating this thing one day at a time is the only way for me. Regardless of whether its true or not, i have to believe that it will get better and i will return to "normal" at some point in my life. I just wish it would happen faster.
I was on the nic for about 14 years too. It took about six months for the cravings to really fade into the background. I'm at 835 days today and never crave. I'll get an occasional thought, but it's not really a craving, more like "I used to want a dip at times like these... I'm reall thankful I can spend time with my family rather than sneaking off for a dip". I go weeks at a time without thinking about tobacco (other than logging on to this site and posting roll), and when I do I use it as an opportunity to appreciate my freedom from it.

As teaka mentioned, short temper can be an issue. I had anger issues long after the cravings had faded away. That has gone away now too. Just another thing to be aware of as you find your way out of this mess; try not to be too much of a dick to those around you.

My approach to getting to a point where I don't think about nicotine: keep putting days between you and nic, and don't dwell on it too much. Learn to think about something else because nicotine doesn't matter anymore. It's not really like running away from the craving or shutting it out; more like accepting that it exists and then dismissing it because it's irrelevant. It's tough at first, but with practice it becomes second nature to think like a 'normal' person.... On the other hand, I think it would be possible to keep the cravings going on forever if you allow yourself to obsess over it.
Here is my .02 on the subject.

I do not crave like I used to. I do still have the occasional crave pop up but nothing like it used to be. I was like you early on and wanted the bad shit to end so I could enjoy all these good things I kept hearing everyone talk about.

My first 200 days sucked ass. There was an occasional good day tossed in there to keep me going but for the most part it sucked. Crazy ass anxiety, mood swings, craves etc. I just focused on the minute if I needed to, anything to keep dip out of my face.

Around day 200 there was a huge shift in my quit. I stopped using fake, my anxiety diminshed, the craves went away. I can tell you now I feel better than I have in years. I spent most of my teenage years and all of my adult years addicted to Nicotine so I am not sure what normal really is.

I know how I feel now and it is GREAT. 544 days in, as I say the occasional crave pops up but is quickly turned away when I ask myself " Do you really want to throw away how you feel now?". Just keep posting and stay clean, the good days are coming. You have to believe that and be willing to fight to get there....

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline nkt

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Im just curious how long i can expect to deal with cravings and related shit for.  i am only on day 21 and chewed for about 14 years or so.  i know im a total addict and will have to forever be alert and keep my Quit guarded, but i guess im just wondering if you ever get to a point where you can live weeks, months, etc without thinking about dip.  Any insight from major veterans appreciated.
thx
I'm not an expert, but my theory is that YES, there will come a day when you go weeks or even months without thinking about it. That time is likely a LONG ways away. It varies for everyone, but the day will come. You'll always be an addict, but 10 years from now, you won't be dwelling on nicotene like you are today.

I am on day 215 and I can tell you that the craves are fewer, farther between and much less intense. I still believe I have a shorter temper, more anger and am a bit more anxious, but I am slowing learning how to deal with those emotions and things are improving. I hid behind a can a skoal for 20 years :), now I must learn how to deal more appropriately with people and my feelings towards them.
I have to hold on to a hope that at some point down the road there will come a day when i don't think about dip, don't get massive craves after i eat a meal, or find myself staring into space unable to concentrate on anything at all. I think beating this thing one day at a time is the only way for me. Regardless of whether its true or not, i have to believe that it will get better and i will return to "normal" at some point in my life. I just wish it would happen faster.
I was on the nic for about 14 years too. It took about six months for the cravings to really fade into the background. I'm at 835 days today and never crave. I'll get an occasional thought, but it's not really a craving, more like "I used to want a dip at times like these... I'm reall thankful I can spend time with my family rather than sneaking off for a dip". I go weeks at a time without thinking about tobacco (other than logging on to this site and posting roll), and when I do I use it as an opportunity to appreciate my freedom from it.

As teaka mentioned, short temper can be an issue. I had anger issues long after the cravings had faded away. That has gone away now too. Just another thing to be aware of as you find your way out of this mess; try not to be too much of a dick to those around you.

My approach to getting to a point where I don't think about nicotine: keep putting days between you and nic, and don't dwell on it too much. Learn to think about something else because nicotine doesn't matter anymore. It's not really like running away from the craving or shutting it out; more like accepting that it exists and then dismissing it because it's irrelevant. It's tough at first, but with practice it becomes second nature to think like a 'normal' person.... On the other hand, I think it would be possible to keep the cravings going on forever if you allow yourself to obsess over it.

Offline cjs238

• Quitter
  • Interests: not dipping anymore!
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
thx

Offline TheMissingPeace

• Quitter
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Quote from: Boilerbates
I'm on day 25 and i'm craving right now, so i jumped on the forum to fight the crave.

middle afternoon lull - after lunch, at work, a few hours before headed home used to be prime dipping time, now I'm writing you to make sure that you don't cave with the crave...but really I'm doing it for me too!

so, that being said, if i'm fighting this crave and the many to come, so can you.

sorry for the vent on your thread!
Me, too. That's why I'm here right now. Working the Quit... Better this than caving. Peace

Offline Boilerbates

• Quitter
    • www.facebook.com
  • Interests: baseball, golf, camping, fishing
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I'm on day 25 and i'm craving right now, so i jumped on the forum to fight the crave.

middle afternoon lull - after lunch, at work, a few hours before headed home used to be prime dipping time, now I'm writing you to make sure that you don't cave with the crave...but really I'm doing it for me too!

so, that being said, if i'm fighting this crave and the many to come, so can you.

sorry for the vent on your thread!
1st Day of Quit = April 1, 2011

Quit will triumph, because dip is dumb

Offline DeanTheCoot

• Quitter
  • Interests: reading, eating, walking, running, fishing, Freemasonry, coffee, pussy, hunting, motorcycles, history, badminton, trees
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Good question, but with a wretched answer: I honestly can't see going weeks without thinking about dip. Hasn't happened yet, at least. Not even close. I have yet to go a day without thinking about tobacco.

But thinking about it is much different than a run-of-the-mill craving, and a run-of-the-mill craving is certainly different than the down-right fiending I experienced several weeks into my quit.

The moral of the story is this: I AM A GOD. I will beat the bitch into submission for eternity, no matter what. That's my decision.

Offline zeroprog

• Quitter
    • www.zeroprog.com
  • Interests: sports, computer programming, video games
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I'm on day 9 and haven't noticed too many cravings, the first few days I had a ton, not so much the last few. A combination of busy work and substitute (hooch) seems to be working well for me right now. knock on wood.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Offline grimace8777

• Quitter
  • Interests: Rock Climbing, Running, Fathering
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
The cravings pass faster and happen less but the fact is they still happen. I've stopped using so many times in the past and always ended up right back using again. This time I am quit and there is a big difference that wasn't obvious to me those past times. The only way for me to beat this is to go into my group every day and quit with all those guys again. I might have a few days where I don't think of it at all and then bam, major craving out of nowhere. They will become less but the bitch is lurking always just waiting for you to slip up. Maybe you're thinking to yourself "ah, I've gone so far I can handle just one or I deserve just one" I can tell you that's the bitch talking, she wants back in! Fight thru they will get less and they will get easier to manage but NEVER let your guard down or you'll be like me quit for over 200 days and fell for the just one logic. Buy hey, I"m trainable that's why I'm here! If you need any help let me know.

Offline teaka

• Quitter
  • Interests: golf, skiing
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Im just curious how long i can expect to deal with cravings and related shit for. i am only on day 21 and chewed for about 14 years or so. i know im a total addict and will have to forever be alert and keep my Quit guarded, but i guess im just wondering if you ever get to a point where you can live weeks, months, etc without thinking about dip. Any insight from major veterans appreciated.
thx

a strange game. the only winning move is not to play

Offline elkhills

• Quitter
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
thx
Dipped Skoal every waking hour for 20+ years.

39 days off the stuff. After the first week, every day seems a little better, but expect a few massive out of the blue tsunamis of craves. Don't give in no matter what, and it will get better.

I should also mention I'm taking Chantix, which helps a lot.
Last can I opened was a can of whoop ass.

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
The cravings will last the rest of your life.
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Quote from: Fort
thx
Always there but you can manage them more as time passes.

My wife asked me one day what it is like now that i have been quit for over 100 days. I told her that i think about it every day. It is always there and will never go away. I have to make a promise to myself and everyone here that i will not dip for today, post roll, and live that day. Wake up the next day and repeat.

The nic bitch will always be there waiting for some weak moment. Use your numbers, stay on this site, and post roll every day. Do those three things and you can get through every day and start living your life dip free.
Day 135. Still an addict. Still have cravings. Still quit. I can handle them easier though.

Offline Fort

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hockey, golf, football, baseball, fishing and being a great dad and husband.
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Im just curious how long i can expect to deal with cravings and related shit for. i am only on day 21 and chewed for about 14 years or so. i know im a total addict and will have to forever be alert and keep my Quit guarded, but i guess im just wondering if you ever get to a point where you can live weeks, months, etc without thinking about dip. Any insight from major veterans appreciated.
thx
Always there but you can manage them more as time passes.

My wife asked me one day what it is like now that i have been quit for over 100 days. I told her that i think about it every day. It is always there and will never go away. I have to make a promise to myself and everyone here that i will not dip for today, post roll, and live that day. Wake up the next day and repeat.

The nic bitch will always be there waiting for some weak moment. Use your numbers, stay on this site, and post roll every day. Do those three things and you can get through every day and start living your life dip free.
Fuck em all and fucking no regrets.

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.
- Socrates

Quit Date - 8/16/2010
HOF - 11/23/2010
1 YR - 8/15/2011
2 YR - 8/15/2012
9th Floor - 1/31/2013

Offline cjs238

• Quitter
  • Interests: not dipping anymore!
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
thx