Community > Introductions

Oldschool introduction

<< < (2/19) > >>

oldschool:
1020  Quit.  Free.  Here.

Went home to visit my mother, who unfortunately broke her leg.  After the hospital visit, my wife and I were driving back to my parents home reminiscing about the old neighborhood when we decided to stop by the liquor store.  Hard to find a good liquor store in my neck of the woods in Iowa, and this place has been around for well over 50 years.  A treasure trove hidden in the Chicago suburbs.  It was never the cheapest liquor store, but it always had the greatest selection of hard to find spirits.  I had been on the hunt for Cynar (or even better Sicilian bitters) a missing ingredient for one of my favorite cocktails: The Bentonhurst. 

We looked at the vast selection for quite awhile, and I was able to find everything I was looking for.  Went to go to the front to pay, and I just stopped.  It must have been the smell, but there in front of me was a big humidor.  I don't remember this place selling cigars, but there they were.  I don't know why I stared.  I don't know how I remembered the names and brands of the cigars in front of me.  I don't know why I didn't move.  I thought about what one of those cigars would taste like.

I turned to my right and there was my wife glaring at me.  That look like "stop being a jackass".  That look like, "You have come so far I will never let you go back".  And, off I went to pay, without giving those cancer sticks another thought.  I had made my promise early that day.  I made it to my quit circle, my wife, and most importantly to myself.  We never know when temptation will be there.  We don't know if we will be alone or with friends.  We have to be prepared to look temptation square in the face, honor that promise we made, and just walk away.

oldschool:
12 guests right now are on KTC.  Why have you not signed up and starting your quit?  What are you waiting for?  Cancer?

Quitting is hard.  Quitting is not for the weak.  There is strength in numbers.  Be strong with me.  Quit today.

bubblehed668:

--- Quote from: Thefranks5 on May 13, 2021, 06:09:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: stillbrewing on May 13, 2021, 06:42:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: oldschool on May 06, 2021, 09:50:24 AM ---942 days.

My last post just shy of 100 days ago, I had a impactful dip dream the night before. I tried to describe just how surreal yet comfortably normal the experience was for me, yet I didn't understand the full significance until much later.  I focused more on the result rather than the symptom:  The frightening act of succumbing to my addiction was so grotesque that my scope was small and narrow.  Do whatever you must do to not cave on day 942.

It was much later that I finally discovered the connection between that dip dream and the (then) status of my quit.  I wrote that I was at a crossroads.  My quit was becoming comfortable, and quite frankly, I was becoming bored.  I think that my dip dream was not on accident.  My subconscious was alerting me to the very real possibility that at any point I could be weak enough and cave in to my addiction.  Complacency kills many things; momentum, success and even hope.  That was my real enemy.  The dip dream was a potential foreshadowing of what could become if I continued on the path of complacent quitting.

Wake
Up
Piss and
This is the cornerstone for remaining quit and free.  Promise not to use for that day.  Keep your word.  Do it again the next day.
But, daily posting might not be enough to ward off the silent quit killer:  Complacency.

I urge everyone to protect their quit from complacency.  Log on to the site mid-day and check to see if your brothers and sisters have posted their promise.  Hold them accountable if they start to drift, post late, or worse start missing days.  Post support for new quitters and groups.  Let them know that they can get to HOF and beyond.  Pay it forward.  You are quit because the KTC process works, and it only works if quitters stay involved and hold each other accountable to our daily promise to remain nicotine free.

I urge everyone reading this that if you are still killing yourself by using nicotine, Quit.  The decision is not hard.  Just throw that can away.  Quitting is not hard:  Make your promise not to use for the day.  Keep your promise.  Withdrawals are challenging to all, but there is a community of quitters at KTC who have gone through it and can help you get through it.

oldschool
quit and free

--- End quote ---
There are so many quitters in the 150-300 day range that need to read this.  Complacency is a quit killer. 
As you said...GET INVOLVED!  Take a struggling newbie under your wing and make a difference.
When you pay it forward, it reinforces your own quit.  Thanks oldschool for the above.

--- End quote ---
I agree that a person needs a wake up call sometimes during what ever day count they are in. The biggest thing that helps me is staying involved just like Steve said. Plus Steve told me that smashing my jewels in a drawer would be much better then caving no matter how many times I smash them. Thanks old school for being a vet who has made a difference in peoples lives.

--- End quote ---

@Thefranks5, Steve is correct about the jewels and caving and you are correct about wake up calls. @oldschool, even at 4800 days you never know what life will throw at you and that nic bitch is waiting around the corner to see if she can get a foot back in the door. I have been away for far too long and life threw me a curve ball and I recognized that needed to get my ass back. I started having cave dreams again and I knew that was her trying to get in. As long as I make my promise everyday then I know I am good. The other good thing I have working is that I also made a promise to a bunch of quitters that in order for me to cave I had to each and everyone of them and get their permission to do so. I have 20 some odd numbers and I knew that not one would say yes.

Thefranks5:

--- Quote from: stillbrewing on May 13, 2021, 06:42:16 AM ---

My last post just shy of 100 days ago, I had a impactful dip dream the night before. I tried to describe just how surreal yet comfortably normal the experience was for me, yet I didn't understand the full significance until much later.  I focused more on the result rather than the symptom:  The frightening act of succumbing to my addiction was so grotesque that my scope was small and narrow.  Do whatever you must do to not cave on day 942.

It was much later that I finally discovered the connection between that dip dream and the (then) status of my quit.  I wrote that I was at a crossroads.  My quit was becoming comfortable, and quite frankly, I was becoming bored.  I think that my dip dream was not on accident.  My subconscious was alerting me to the very real possibility that at any point I could be weak enough and cave in to my addiction.  Complacency kills many things; momentum, success and even hope.  That was my real enemy.  The dip dream was a potential foreshadowing of what could become if I continued on the path of complacent quitting.

Wake
Up
Piss and
This is the cornerstone for remaining quit and free.  Promise not to use for that day.  Keep your word.  Do it again the next day.
But, daily posting might not be enough to ward off the silent quit killer:  Complacency.

I urge everyone to protect their quit from complacency.  Log on to the site mid-day and check to see if your brothers and sisters have posted their promise.  Hold them accountable if they start to drift, post late, or worse start missing days.  Post support for new quitters and groups.  Let them know that they can get to HOF and beyond.  Pay it forward.  You are quit because the KTC process works, and it only works if quitters stay involved and hold each other accountable to our daily promise to remain nicotine free.

I urge everyone reading this that if you are still killing yourself by using nicotine, Quit.  The decision is not hard.  Just throw that can away.  Quitting is not hard:  Make your promise not to use for the day.  Keep your promise.  Withdrawals are challenging to all, but there is a community of quitters at KTC who have gone through it and can help you get through it.

oldschool
quit and free

--- End quote ---
There are so many quitters in the 150-300 day range that need to read this.  Complacency is a quit killer. 
As you said...GET INVOLVED!  Take a struggling newbie under your wing and make a difference.
When you pay it forward, it reinforces your own quit.  Thanks oldschool for the above.

--- End quote ---
I agree that a person needs a wake up call sometimes during what ever day count they are in. The biggest thing that helps me is staying involved just like Steve said. Plus Steve told me that smashing my jewels in a drawer would be much better then caving no matter how many times I smash them. Thanks old school for being a vet who has made a difference in peoples lives.

stillbrewing:

Wake
Up
Piss and

oldschool
quit and free

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version