Author Topic: Bachelor Party and Cigars  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Broccoli-saurus

• Quit King
  • Badass Unicorn Riders of Quittin Spittin Saloon
  • Quit Date: 6/10/17
  • Likes Given: 1290
Re: Bachelor Party and Cigars
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »
Hey everyone, need a little support here.  Been quit for 25 days.

So I'm going to a bachelor party this weekend out on Martha's Vineyard, so stoked for this trip with good friends!  Thing is, in the past (pre quit me) was prone to bum a cigarette while out at a bar.  Also, there will certainly be cigars to celebrate.  Now I realize we are not talking hookers and blow here, though now that I think of it both of those do not contain nicotine,,, I digress.  So my point is I'm sharing this now to hold myself accountable to keep away from nic on this trip. 

Any of the vets reading this have an experience to share regarding the celebratory cigar?  I know to keep my drinking to a minimum and to decline the cigar, just hoping to hear from someone who may have a good story about being in a similar position.

Cheers

Ajax,

Nicotine is nicotine in whatever form it comes in, cigars, cigarettes, dip, vapes, whatever.  Any of those ingested by you, is a cave. 
I would suggest that,
A: WUPP every morning and take nicotine off the table.  At that point you have made your promise and if you are a man of your word, you will keep that promise.
B: Get as many phone numbers from other quitters in here, vets included, before you go to your party and make sure you use those numbers when the craving hits you over the weekend.  Call one us man, we can help you get back down off that cliff but only if you reach out to us.  We unfortunately can not read your mind to know that you are in trouble so its up to you make the call.
C: Tell your buddies that you have quit nicotine in ANY form and you would appreciate their support by not offering any to you and also for them to KICK YOU ASS if you even think of "bumming" one from someone. 
D: I would recommend that you don't drink at all but I'm sure that recommendation will go out the window.  If you do drink, keep it in moderation so you can keep your senses about you.

PM me for my digits and I would be happy to support you. 

Chris

Chris is spot on, but for sure you NEED to do letter C.  You might get a little ribbing, but look em in the eye and say "I'm fucking serious.  I cannot have any form of nicotine or I will go back to being a slave."  There is no gray area.  I went on a fishing trip about 90 days in and had the same speech for the 7 guys I was with.  One of em tried to offer me a swisher sweet and I about lost my shit on him.

Point is, you are doing this for yourself as much as them.  You need to hear yourself out loud proclaim your independence, and strengthen your accountability with a new group of people.

You can do this.  Have fun at the party bro, easy on the hookers and blow.

Hookers actually usually have quite a bit of nicotine in them, so I've heard.  Anyway.  I caved to a cigar once and flipped my whole group and this site off before walking out the door.  Two weeks later, I was back to dipping a can a day again.  Once you're quit, you're quit.  If you open that door a little crack, the nic bitch will push the door wide open, and you'll be wondering where it all went wrong.  Tell the guys you're quit, limit alcohol.  If some asshole decides it'll be funny to put a cigar in your hand or in your mouth or pocket or butt...however it works in your friend group, take it out, drop it on the floor, and crush it with your boot.  That should get the message across. 

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 570
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »

So I'm going to a bachelor party this weekend out on Martha's Vineyard, so stoked for this trip with good friends!  Thing is, in the past (pre quit me) was prone to bum a cigarette while out at a bar.  Also, there will certainly be cigars to celebrate.  Now I realize we are not talking hookers and blow here, though now that I think of it both of those do not contain nicotine,,, I digress.  So my point is I'm sharing this now to hold myself accountable to keep away from nic on this trip. 

Any of the vets reading this have an experience to share regarding the celebratory cigar?  I know to keep my drinking to a minimum and to decline the cigar, just hoping to hear from someone who may have a good story about being in a similar position.

Cheers

Ajax,

Nicotine is nicotine in whatever form it comes in, cigars, cigarettes, dip, vapes, whatever.  Any of those ingested by you, is a cave. 
I would suggest that,
A: WUPP every morning and take nicotine off the table.  At that point you have made your promise and if you are a man of your word, you will keep that promise.
B: Get as many phone numbers from other quitters in here, vets included, before you go to your party and make sure you use those numbers when the craving hits you over the weekend.  Call one us man, we can help you get back down off that cliff but only if you reach out to us.  We unfortunately can not read your mind to know that you are in trouble so its up to you make the call.
C: Tell your buddies that you have quit nicotine in ANY form and you would appreciate their support by not offering any to you and also for them to KICK YOU ASS if you even think of "bumming" one from someone. 
D: I would recommend that you don't drink at all but I'm sure that recommendation will go out the window.  If you do drink, keep it in moderation so you can keep your senses about you.

Chris

Chris is spot on, but for sure you NEED to do letter C.  You might get a little ribbing, but look em in the eye and say "I'm fucking serious.  I cannot have any form of nicotine or I will go back to being a slave."  There is no gray area.  I went on a fishing trip about 90 days in and had the same speech for the 7 guys I was with.  One of em tried to offer me a swisher sweet and I about lost my shit on him.

Point is, you are doing this for yourself as much as them.  You need to hear yourself out loud proclaim your independence, and strengthen your accountability with a new group of people.

You can do this.  Have fun at the party bro, easy on the hookers and blow.
To remain quit requires focus
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »

Cheers

Ajax,

I would suggest that,

Chris
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline --Ajax--

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 06-15-19
  • Interests: Sailing, Skiing, Surfing, Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Likes Given: 2
Bachelor Party and Cigars
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »

Cheers