Author Topic: Day 1 For Me  (Read 6891 times)

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
Re: Day 1 For Me
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
This post is really for anyone that is surfing the site debating whether to quit or not.  I am an addict and until I realized that, i was always destined to fail.  This is how the mind of on an addict works (my mind). 

Can't quit in January, got NFL playoffs. 
Can't quit in February because i need a dip in to shovel snow.
Can't quit in March because MLB spring training and march madness.
Can't quit in April because of my birthday and MLB starting
Can't quit in May because grilling season starts and MLB
Can't quit in June because yard work and MLB
Can't quit in July because of the 4th and the beach
Can't quit in August because NFL minicamps start and pool time
Can't quit in September because NFL and NCAA Football
Can't quit in October because MLB playoffs
Can't quit in November because thanksgiving and may as well wait until the end of the year.
Can't quit in December because family holidays and i already said i would quit in January.
Can't quit at the beginning of a certain month because its not a Monday. 

Sound familiar?  The excuses go on and I did this for years.  There is no better time to quit than right now.  Accept that you are an addict and that dipping is a problem, not a solution.

Come on in, the water is fine.  I'm 35 days quit today.

Things are stressful now, I can't quit now and add to my stress.
Things are going great, I can't quit now and mess that up.

Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date : 29 May 2019
  • Likes Given: 558
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
This post is really for anyone that is surfing the site debating whether to quit or not.  I am an addict and until I realized that, i was always destined to fail.  This is how the mind of on an addict works (my mind). 

Can't quit in January, got NFL playoffs. 
Can't quit in February because i need a dip in to shovel snow.
Can't quit in March because MLB spring training and march madness.
Can't quit in April because of my birthday and MLB starting
Can't quit in May because grilling season starts and MLB
Can't quit in June because yard work and MLB
Can't quit in July because of the 4th and the beach
Can't quit in August because NFL minicamps start and pool time
Can't quit in September because NFL and NCAA Football
Can't quit in October because MLB playoffs
Can't quit in November because thanksgiving and may as well wait until the end of the year.
Can't quit in December because family holidays and i already said i would quit in January.
Can't quit at the beginning of a certain month because its not a Monday. 

Sound familiar?  The excuses go on and I did this for years.  There is no better time to quit than right now.  Accept that you are an addict and that dipping is a problem, not a solution.

Come on in, the water is fine.  I'm 35 days quit today. 
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  If you fail, learn why you failed and try something different!

My HoF Speech

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 08:49:13 PM »
33 days in.  I feel good for the most part.  Weekends are still a huge challenge.  Physically; I feel like I’m back to myself.  Actually a little more energy these days.

The hardest part at this point is the internal dialog I have almost all day long.  It goes like this.  Quitting was hard, but I did it and I could do it again.  One dip wouldn’t hurt; Hell, I can control it now that I quit. 

Giving my word every morning is the main reason I don’t cave.
Ruthless-

Something that helps me in those situations is to think through the dip. Complete the thought. Consciously add to the mix the fact that you are an addict and there is no such thing as 'just one'. One is too many and ten thousand isn't enough. The addiction progresses even while you stop. Whatever problems you had with dip before you decided to quit will come back, get worse, and multiply. Not only that, dipping is a negative drain on your spirit, integrity, and character. It's like living with no personal substance. You gain those things back and keep them when you keep quit. Think through the dip.
Thanks Zeus.  It's funny how your mind forgets the awful things you experience as time goes by.  I equate quitting dip similar to having a newborn baby.  After awhile, you forget about the sleepless nights and nonstop crying and just remember happiness.  Until the next baby comes and the memories come flooding back.  Thinking, why in the hell would we do this again.  Quitting dip is the same way.  33 days in and i forget about the misery of quitting, the sleepless nights; looking back it doesn't seem that bad.  But i know it was bad.  One of the best pieces of advice i got when i joined KTC was to keep a journal.  Every day, i go back and read the first 7 days to remind myself how awful it was and keep it fresh in my mind.  If it weren't for that, i'm not sure i would have made it this far.
That's awesome bro.  Wish I would have chronicled the first 7 days. I remember grinding my teeth to powder and vicious headaches because of it.
You will never regret quitting.  You will ALWAYS regret a cave.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 11:08:24 AM »
33 days in.  I feel good for the most part.  Weekends are still a huge challenge.  Physically; I feel like I’m back to myself.  Actually a little more energy these days.

The hardest part at this point is the internal dialog I have almost all day long.  It goes like this.  Quitting was hard, but I did it and I could do it again.  One dip wouldn’t hurt; Hell, I can control it now that I quit. 

Ruthless-

Something that helps me in those situations is to think through the dip. Complete the thought. Consciously add to the mix the fact that you are an addict and there is no such thing as 'just one'. One is too many and ten thousand isn't enough. The addiction progresses even while you stop. Whatever problems you had with dip before you decided to quit will come back, get worse, and multiply. Not only that, dipping is a negative drain on your spirit, integrity, and character. It's like living with no personal substance. You gain those things back and keep them when you keep quit. Think through the dip.
Thanks Zeus.  It's funny how your mind forgets the awful things you experience as time goes by.  I equate quitting dip similar to having a newborn baby.  After awhile, you forget about the sleepless nights and nonstop crying and just remember happiness.  Until the next baby comes and the memories come flooding back.  Thinking, why in the hell would we do this again.  Quitting dip is the same way.  33 days in and i forget about the misery of quitting, the sleepless nights; looking back it doesn't seem that bad.  But i know it was bad.  One of the best pieces of advice i got when i joined KTC was to keep a journal.  Every day, i go back and read the first 7 days to remind myself how awful it was and keep it fresh in my mind.  If it weren't for that, i'm not sure i would have made it this far. 
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  If you fail, learn why you failed and try something different!

My HoF Speech

Offline Zeus

• Quitman
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 03-08-2017
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 10:13:13 AM »

Ruthless-

June 2017 Quit Mafia

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 07:06:49 AM »

My HoF Speech

Offline Dawgs

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/5/2019
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 12:58:32 PM »
Ruthless-I have to echo what FLLiPout said. You are doing a great job. Keep up that work. You are right, you get out what you put in. You are putting a lot in. Keep it up. Be a leader. Reach out for anything at all.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:02:36 PM by Dawgs »

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 05:17:28 AM »
Thanks man.  It's like herding cats to be honest.  Lot of different types of people in the group.  Talkative people and post and ghosters.  Everyone handles the quit differently i suppose and you get out of this site what you put in.  Whatever works i guess!  But this isn't anything new i'm sure; each group is probably similar.

My HoF Speech

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
Ruthless, I just wanted to drop in on your introduction and tell you what a great job you are doing on your quit (27!)- and how great it is that you are out there encouraging new quitters, herding cats in Sept 19 and generally being the kind of brother and leader this community relies on to work.  Keep crushing it. 

If you need digits, please reach out.
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 04:57:54 AM »
Thanks Athan.  I really just am trying to be there for the new guys like so many of you all were there for me that first week.  It really sucks and the more support the better!

My HoF Speech

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 05:16:33 PM »
Absolutely love how you're paying it forward Ruthless; nothing strengthens a quit like helping the man next to you. You edify me and everyone who witnesses it as well.
Keep on Quittn' on!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 08:11:32 AM »
We picked the same day to start Ruthless. It makes me feel better to know that I am not in this alone. My friends don't really care if I quit or not, so the pressure only comes from my family. I work on a jobsite where I can chew all day long, so this is going to be interesting. I'll try to remember that you are doing the same thing as I am and maybe this will help both of us. Put it in your mind that others share your struggle, that it's not just you.

Awesome dude.  Post an intro and hop into the September quit group and post roll.  The water is just fine and the more the merrier.

Ruthless

My HoF Speech

Offline silversurfer

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 07:44:19 AM »
We picked the same day to start Ruthless. It makes me feel better to know that I am not in this alone. My friends don't really care if I quit or not, so the pressure only comes from my family. I work on a jobsite where I can chew all day long, so this is going to be interesting. I'll try to remember that you are doing the same thing as I am and maybe this will help both of us. Put it in your mind that others share your struggle, that it's not just you.

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:39:02 AM »
Thanks guys!  I do find myself getting complacent at times and thinking this is ‘easy’ or I have won.  I quickly reel myself in and force myself to focus on just today.  A bunch of ‘todays’ equals forever, but for now and always, ODAAT.

Post meal dip is tough for me as well.  And considering I gave up alcohol too, it’s doubly difficult.  Seeds are my post meal dip now.  Or perhaps some kind of shitty tea.

My HoF Speech

Offline Dawgs

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/5/2019
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
Ruthless-you are doing a great job. It’s ok to pat yourself on the back to for how far you’ve come. Just make sure to not let that guard down either. Everyday is a new day. A new day to quit and a new day to be free. With your wife on board, that will help you even more. Like Athan said...a husband and wife on the same page about ANYTHING is an unstoppable force. I’m proud of you man. I stand quit with you today too. Stay strong. Again, my digits are always available for the asking.