Author Topic: Day 1 For Me  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
Re: Day 1 For Me
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 07:41:06 PM »
13 days in, HOLY S**!

Sat down with my wife on day 3 and opened up to tell her everything.  She was hurt about the lying, but has been supportive since.  That weight off my shoulders really helped my quit.

Still having moments of being frustrated and looking for relief, but they aren’t constant anymore.  As a matter of fact, mornings are great.  It isn’t until the afternoon and evening that I tend to struggle.

Really can’t emphasize how appreciative I am for those that reached out in those first 72 hours; made all the difference in the world.

Ruthless
Geez brother, thanks for chronicling the first two weeks for me - lest I forget.  I love that you told your bride.  A husband and wife united together is one of the most powerful forces in the universe.  As addicts, we are skilled liars and coming clean is healing on many levels. I really think you're gonna make it. I do hope you've collected digits from some of the quitters in your group.  Mine are yours for the asking but it's great to wallow in the mire and suck of withdrawal with someone sucking it right next to you.
The evenings can be tough; the proverbial post meal chew was a stressor for me as well.  Replacement therapy is a real thing.  A new routine as your rewire your brain; a walk, cup of tea (don't worry, you won't lose your man card), throwing fluffy bunny rabbits in a blender - whatever it takes. The point is, you're not a slave anymore.  Stay that way!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date : 29 May 2019
  • Likes Given: 558
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
13 days in, HOLY S**!

Sat down with my wife on day 3 and opened up to tell her everything.  She was hurt about the lying, but has been supportive since.  That weight off my shoulders really helped my quit.

Still having moments of being frustrated and looking for relief, but they aren’t constant anymore.  As a matter of fact, mornings are great.  It isn’t until the afternoon and evening that I tend to struggle.

Really can’t emphasize how appreciative I am for those that reached out in those first 72 hours; made all the difference in the world.

Ruthless
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  If you fail, learn why you failed and try something different!

My HoF Speech

Offline Dawgs

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/5/2019
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »
Hey Ruthless-
Damn dude...EXACT same story here. I lied to my wife for our whole marriage about my dipping. Even when she found something like a can or a spit cup, I lied my a$$ off. I also lied to my kids. Father/Husband of the year right here buddy. On my 40th b-day back in Feb., I finally made the decision to truly put it down. First for myself, secondly for my family. The one thing I might suggest, and you can decide what’s best for you and your family, is that you should bring your wife in on this. Mine is less than thrilled and just waiting for me to fail, but that’s been my MO in the past. BUT—she does support this and it makes it easier with her in the know. Either way-glad to have you here. Stay strong brother.

Offline quitter419

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
Welcome Ruthless.

I am only at 53 days in quit. I can totally relate to you. I lied a lot in past to avoid confrontation about bad habits, my advise is stay true to your spouse and friends. it helps a lot when you need help, just to give you my experience today morning. Day started very bad, some issue at job and at home. I did some lite exercise and talk to my wife for half an hour. It help a lot. Try to avoid triggers, change your daily routine as much as you can, drive to different route to you job try not to visit same places in your daily route. drink lots of water and juice in initial days that helps in craving. Read as much as on this site. it helped me a lot.

PTBQWY

Offline copequits

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: July 9th, 2018
  • Likes Given: 5604
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
Welcome Ruthless!

RDB covered everything really well.  I also didn't like my kids asking what I had in my mouth, or trying to imitate me by spitting.  You can read a ton on here to help get you through, as well as drink a ton of water.  The success rate with NRT is very low.  KTC has worked for everyone that was committed to it.

Just post your promise each day first thing and keep your word for that day.  We quit one day at a time.  It really is that simple.  It won't always be easy but we are all here to help.  Look for a message from me in your inbox.  Glad you made a decision to save your life today!

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
Welcome. Congratulations, you nailed posting roll. Come back early tomorrow, and every tomorrow after, and do it again. WUPP - Wake Up. Piss. Post.

You made the right choice to skip the Nicorette. Cold turkey is the way to go.

I was also a ninja dipper. I can totally relate to sneaking around, waiting for everyone to go to bed.

Quitting here is simple. Make your promise by posting roll. Keep your word. If you can do that, you can quit. Hard as hell to do, but simple.

You mentioned drinking alcohol in your intro. Drinking alcohol leads to poor decision making. We suggest cutting way back, and even eliminating alcohol early in your quit. Alcohol is probably the leading cause to caving.

Exchange digits (phone numbers) with some of the guys in your group. Also, with some vets. Mine are a PM away. Having digits adds another rlayer of accountability.

Proud to quit with you.

Offline Ruthless

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date : 29 May 2019
  • Likes Given: 558
Day 1 For Me
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:14:33 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Today is the day that i start my quit.  I'm 36 and been dipping on and off for 15+ years now.  I've quit for short periods of time in the past, but always found an excuse to go back.  It's easy to make an excuse when you're an addict. 

My wife thinks i quit a long time ago and i find myself sneaking around and waiting for her to leave to put a dip in.  The anxiety of waiting until the next dip is similar to the anxiety of getting caught.  My kids are getting older and ask me what's in my mouth.  I lie because I'm weak.  On times my wife is around, i substitute alcohol and just wait until she goes to bed to get that last dip in for the night.  I'm done with it; just the act of doing it behind her back adds stress and fuel to the dipping fire. 

I was going to use Nicorette to wean me off and make it easier, but after reading a bunch of stuff on this site; i'm just going to go cold turkey and embrace the suck.

- Ruthless 
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  If you fail, learn why you failed and try something different!

My HoF Speech