Author Topic: Day 2 battle  (Read 1122 times)

Offline basshaug

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Day 2 battle
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
Quote from: PottyMouth
Day 22 update:
Feelin pretty good. The 1st week was cold turkey, with only gum (no nic). I didn't use fake chew, mints, seeds, etc. It was rough - but getting better ever since. I wish I would have used fake chew (smokey mtn) in the very beginning just until the nic withdrawals wore off. For me, the oral fixation was/is strong. Now that I've found smokey mtn - I seem to be dippin almost as much as I was before. Granted, it's not nic (and breath smells better, etc) - but it's still "chew habit" you know? Next step is to try to slow that down as well, maybe keep it to 2 dips per day. Anyone else dip the fake stuff a lot? Any better alternatives for this oral fixation??
There are definitely differing opinions on the fake chew. Some guys say it's too much like the real thing or just want a clean break from having something in their pie hole.

I am in the "whatever it takes" camp. I tried half of the fake chew brands under the sun in the first few weeks. Some sucked, some were great. I used it quite often at first, sometimes as oftof or more than i used to dip, but eventually, you just kind of no longer need it/forget about it and stop doing it. I say if it helps you beat cravings down keep it around. I've probably got 5 cans of hooch spitfire laying around but only use it once a week or so. In my opinion fake is a very powerful tool in kicking a fresh quit crave right in the sack.

I also chewed on beef jerky at the vey beginning, but jerky gets pricey, so it's hard to sustain that for a long time. I still chew seeds regularly. I'm trying to fill wrigley field with seeds this season, but they keep sweeping them up for some reason. Gum, atomic fireballs, lifesavers, tea tree tooth picks are also other common options.

Whatever it takes to keep that shit out if your mouth. Proud to quit with you.

Offline PottyMouth

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-05-17
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
Day 22 update:
Feelin pretty good. The 1st week was cold turkey, with only gum (no nic). I didn't use fake chew, mints, seeds, etc. It was rough - but getting better ever since. I wish I would have used fake chew (smokey mtn) in the very beginning just until the nic withdrawals wore off. For me, the oral fixation was/is strong. Now that I've found smokey mtn - I seem to be dippin almost as much as I was before. Granted, it's not nic (and breath smells better, etc) - but it's still "chew habit" you know? Next step is to try to slow that down as well, maybe keep it to 2 dips per day. Anyone else dip the fake stuff a lot? Any better alternatives for this oral fixation??
it's all relative...

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Smells of some strong quit off in here!
Your an addict PM.
Spend the same amount of time quiting as you did using!
The war is won... with daily victories of accountability.
Addicts back to back... living a new life one day at a time.
I quit with you today.
I believe.....

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
Do you realize how lucky you are?

Multiple quitters have taken the time to welcome you. You Are not alone in this quit. We're very active here at the ktc. Not pursuing your quit is just "not using". Quitting means we go at this at full speed.

Water is your friend man. Drink lots of it. Exercise, and have your weapons (candies, seeds, herbal snuff, etc) available at all times. Make some friends. Reach out when you need to.

Welcome aboard sir.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Welcome. Hey Caffeine makes NIC cravings worse. We recommend cutting back on caffeine. It makes withdrawals easier and doesn't increase the cravings.

Stay quit. There is no acceptable failure here. Stick to this method, it works.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Quote from: TLOC81
Quote from: Jerk11
Welcome PM! We are happy to have you and hope you stick around. I will just say to try to watch the caffeine intake. For some reason our body metabolizes caffeine at a much higher rate when off nicotine, so basically 1 or 2 cups of coffee will now get you JACKED..... But keep your quit nice and tight (like we like it here) and you will find out soon how GREAT life is without a drug and a life filled with lies that we were so accustomed to. That's all we knew for the longest time. I found that with every bridge I crossed, I felt stronger and more confident. Turns out I can golf without poison. Drive to/from work without it. Heck, I can work long shifts without that nasty crap. And you will never endure a Day 1 again.
Welcome Pottymouth. Congrats on making the best decision of your life. I have to second what my man Jerk said, be careful on the coffee. I'm on day 127 and still get my worst craves when I drink coffee. I don't know why that is and maybe it's different for others but if there's one thing you'll see on KTC, it's that if you're thinking/feeling something so are a number of others.

Like you, I was a ninja dipper. I knew my significant other didn't really believe I needed 30 minutes to go to the bathroom every morning. She knew I was full of shit, and I always felt bad about it. While you are quit you'll find you gain back not only your health, but some self-respect and integrity lost from all the lies and bullshit caused by this addiction.

Proud to be quit with you today.
Listen to these badass quitters ^^^^! As you can see if you need help, Come on here and you will get it! Damn proud to be quit with you today my friend!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline TLOC81

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-01-13
  • Interests: Quitting chewing tobacco for good
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Jerk11
Welcome PM! We are happy to have you and hope you stick around. I will just say to try to watch the caffeine intake. For some reason our body metabolizes caffeine at a much higher rate when off nicotine, so basically 1 or 2 cups of coffee will now get you JACKED..... But keep your quit nice and tight (like we like it here) and you will find out soon how GREAT life is without a drug and a life filled with lies that we were so accustomed to. That's all we knew for the longest time. I found that with every bridge I crossed, I felt stronger and more confident. Turns out I can golf without poison. Drive to/from work without it. Heck, I can work long shifts without that nasty crap. And you will never endure a Day 1 again.
Welcome Pottymouth. Congrats on making the best decision of your life. I have to second what my man Jerk said, be careful on the coffee. I'm on day 127 and still get my worst craves when I drink coffee. I don't know why that is and maybe it's different for others but if there's one thing you'll see on KTC, it's that if you're thinking/feeling something so are a number of others.

Like you, I was a ninja dipper. I knew my significant other didn't really believe I needed 30 minutes to go to the bathroom every morning. She knew I was full of shit, and I always felt bad about it. While you are quit you'll find you gain back not only your health, but some self-respect and integrity lost from all the lies and bullshit caused by this addiction.

Proud to be quit with you today.
Tedx on addiction
Transcending addiction Tedx

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it a thousand times. -Mark Twain

Offline Jerk11

• Quitter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »

Offline Mr. Cope

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-04-25
  • Interests: Spending time with my Wife and Kiddos.... The lake, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Cooking (well Grilling/Smoking).. LOLGood Friends
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Quote from: PottyMouth
1st post -
I'm 43, with a beautiful wife, 2 beautiful kids, manage an aerospace company. Converse with business professionals all day. By most accounts, I'm NOT someone you'd think would be dippin into a can of skoal... but I've been doing it pretty much all day/every day for the last 25 years. I go through about a can every 2 days - but that's only because I keep each dip in my mouth for at least 1-3 hours... whats worse is I don't even use a spitter anymore, haven't for 10+ years. My coworkers have no idea I chew. I keep the dip way on the side of my lower cheek. My wife had no idea for the first 3 years - until the embarrassing moment she had to confront me about my odd smelling breath - said it smelled like black olives, hmmm interesting... maybe it would have been better if she said it smelled like shit. I'm a closet dipper. I'm very discreet. You won't see me put a dip in. You won't see me spit one out. You won't even see it while I'm talking to you. But it's there. ALL the time.
I've never really tried to quit before. I've thought about it - how it must be pretty bad to have tobacco and whatever chemicals in your mouth all day, swallowing that shit all day. I've never had any lip sores, tooth decay, no ulcers - maybe I've been lucky. But c'mon, it can't be good for you. I have no definitive reason for quitting yesterday. There was no "straw that broke the camels back", was no cancer scare, was no ultimatum from my family. I'm just sick of being a slave to it. I'm a pretty strong guy (emotionally and physically). But dip made me it's bitch for 25+ years. It doesn't take no for an answer. Within 1 minute of me waking in the morning, I have a dip in my mouth. Right up until I go to bed. The only time I don't have one in is when I'm eating. Then Christ! of course you need a big one right after you eat... That is insane! It's sick! Who does that??
Yesterday I thought "screw it, today I quit". I immediately got online to figure out how - I wasn't naive enough to think it would be easy. I was right, It's NOT easy. But I'm glad I found this site. I'm going cold-turkey and I'm not going back. It WILL be tough, it WILL suck ass - but I will not fail. I'm stronger than this leaf-dirt. I'm craving right now. Been almost exactly 24 hrs. I'm a little surprised I've made it this far. This site has helped, just writing this post is helping. I will probably need more support over the next few days. I've read about the fog - didn't think I would feel it this soon though. Gonna need a bunch of snacks and gum, and up my intake of caffeine - but I've quit. And every second is a second of freedom.
That is a Bad Ass post. Are you sure we are not related? Fuck man with the exception of hiding it all the time your story mimics my own. Regardless, congratulations on your decision to quit!

I quit with you and if ever there is anything I can do please just ask.
KISS MY ASS, I DON'T NEED YOU ANY LONGER.

ACTUALLY I NEVER NEEDED YOU, I WAS JUST TO FUCKING WEAK TO REALIZE I WAS ADDICTED TO YOUR FUCKING SHIT!

NOW I KNOW!

I use to use Cope to Cope for over 30 years, now I have to Cope without Cope just to Cope.

Offline Landdon

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Interests: June 18, 2014 is my first day of quit. I thank God, KTC, and my family for helping me.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
Saw your roll in August. Awesome! Remember, everyone here is pulling for you. It will suck for a while, but the end is great! Grats on choosing to keep your face!

Offline PottyMouth

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-05-17
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
thanks all! It's a funny feeling... I mean it's a motherfucker for sure, but I am actually smiling through it (for real). Kinda liberating. Knowing there is nothing to hide - no more ninja dipping. All those years that little tin had a death grip on me - now I'm in charge.
it's all relative...

Offline quark

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-03-23
  • Interests: Biking, swimming, running, reading
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
I thought I was the only 30 year ninja dipper in the world (I had never even heard the term before), and it turns out KTC is full of them quitters.

What's best is not having to lie every minute of the day about what your're thinking, doing, or planning to do.

When a ninja gives up dip, (s)he gives up being a liar.

Offline drstober

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
PM, I can relate. I work in aerospace as well and most people I've worked with have no clue. I used to be able to pack fresh chew in the middle of a room full of people while a meeting was on break. Like you, my wife and I dated for a year before she knew I dipped. She always just thought I kissed funny.

For me, sometimes it was harder because no one at work would know if I caved. They couldn't be part of my accountability because they weren't part of my dipping. Plus, tobacco use is prohibited where I work, so coming out about it after the fact wasn't very feasible either.

One thing that helped was that I started noticing there were more ninja dippers around than I realized. Once I started picking up on that, it started to get pretty disgusting. Look around. You know the signs. It's all the things you used to worry about showing.

Quit on. It's the best decision you've ever made.

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
Welcome Potty Mouth. You made a great decision to quit. Every one of us was where you are now. This site works if you use it. I burned through 2 cans a day for 26 years. If I can do this you can too. You just have to be ready.

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
PM I'm loving what I'm reading! Remember you are much smarter and bigger man than that tin! You are obviously a smart man, so how did this happen to you? Same way as everyone else, tried it got addicted and here you are! Get ready for fog, rage,constipation, headaches but man up drink the kool-aid and stay quit! Remember we're here 24-7, use the tools provided here! Damn proud to be quit with you today my friend!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD