Author Topic: Failed on first day  (Read 784 times)

Offline Keddy

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Break the Chains
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Failed on first day
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Here's my response to your other post:

To answer your question about fake go here:
http://www.killthecan.org/yourquit/alternatives.asp

Getting at some bigger issues:

If you're going to quit, you need to get rid of every (and I mean every) bit of nicotine in your possession. Toss it; flush it; piss in it, if that is what it takes to keep you away.

Next, this is a nicotine-free site. Also dump the Chantix. It'll only prolong the agony of withdrawal.

We do this one day at a time. I noticed that you didn't post roll yesterday, nor today. Is that correct? If so, trash the stuff and get over to April 2012 and put your name on roll call. Posting roll means that you are making your promise to the group to remain quit for this day. Post roll; keep your promise; do the same tomorrow. The accountability of roll call is key to making this quit stick.

You can chew seeds, gum, red fireballs, etc., to keep the craves at bay until you find some fake stuff. Also, drink lots of water and get plenty of exercise.

Finally, you need a course of action for the times when the craves may get overwhelming. This link provides some advice but you need to get some numbers from people you can call for support.

index.php?showtopic=5098

Contact me ASAP if I can help further. You can do this! And it is worth the fight!!

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Quote from: MBS
I want to quit because....I know I'm a slave to it, and I hate that fact. 

I want to quit because....I know I'm playing Russian roulette, and it will catch up to me sooner or later. 

I started as a baseball player in HS in the '80's.  In a hotel room over new year's I watched Bryant Gumball's year end show on HBO and they briefly showed a picture of a man disfigured from surgery.  I haven't been able to dismiss that image from my mind at each dip since.

I failed today because I took a dip....I honestly thought I had none in the house.  Plan was to quit cold turkey and inform the wife after a few days.  Went for gum and my eyes fell on a can.  Opened it and one dip left.  Took it and felt regret almost immediately.
Ok. This is the same story as most of us. You are going to have to choose to suffer 3 days of withdrawal. Fake dip can help, but really, the most important factor in a quit is your desire and willingness to suffer to get to the other side. It is worth it though. I have been quit for 394 days and will never dip again.

I suggest you read this. index.php?showtopic=125

We quit by posting roll. Here is the explanation. index.php?showtopic=120

This is how to post roll. index.php?showtopic=50

This is the group you would post roll in. index.php?showtopic=5688

If you are serious about quitting join us. We have the highest success rate I am aware of.

Any questions?

Offline MBS

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I want to quit because....I know I'm a slave to it, and I hate that fact.

I want to quit because....I know I'm playing Russian roulette, and it will catch up to me sooner or later.

I started as a baseball player in HS in the '80's. In a hotel room over new year's I watched Bryant Gumball's year end show on HBO and they briefly showed a picture of a man disfigured from surgery. I haven't been able to dismiss that image from my mind at each dip since.

I failed today because I took a dip....I honestly thought I had none in the house. Plan was to quit cold turkey and inform the wife after a few days. Went for gum and my eyes fell on a can. Opened it and one dip left. Took it and felt regret almost immediately.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Hmmm. Tell me why you want to quit? Tell me why you failed?

Offline MBS

• Quitter
Failed on first day
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
I see now I posted this in wrong place:

I tried to start a new topic, but was denied. Apologies if this post is in the wrong place, but I tried and failed to quit today.

DAMN! Awoke a 6am and only made it to 1pm before I used the last bit of Kodiak left in my can.

banghead.gif

Been dipping on and off for 25+ years...the "off" was a 15 year or so stint as a smoker. My wife and I both quit smoking five years ago. She's still tobacco-free...I didn't even finish my Chantix script before I was back on dip. While I'm glad my lungs are healthier, I really do want to kick nicotine.

I feel like I need something in my lip, and a plan to deal with these first 3 days...hell, honestly the first 3 hours....

Where can I get some of the fake stuff? Is it mail order only?