Author Topic: Glad to be here  (Read 97350 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
HOPE
« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
From Chickdip on five years. The whole thing left me misty eyed. You can read it here.

I hope I helped someone gain a few extra years.
I hope, when I did the right things, it helped someone.
I hope when I did the wrong things, it helped someone.
I hope I said the right things and used the right words, all at the right time to bring someone into their own quit.
I hope I was there for that one person at the very time it was crucial for them to hear what I had to say.
I hope I supported someone just enough so they could stand on their own quit in a strong way.
I hope, I really hope I saved a life, because coming to KTC and the people here did that for me.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Olcpo shares wisdom
« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »
Quit gold from Olcpo's HOF speech:

“If you are reading this and still sucking on DEATH...THINK, Please! You can be rid of IT. Spit it out, look at it, wait for one minute, now go for five minutes. Yeah? An hour...another hour? You are going to feel like crap, but you feel like crap now because you know you are killing yourself one dip at a time. Go rinse your mouth out, brush your teeth, get busy occupy your brain. Think about a chew? Look at the time, how long has it been? Wait another 5 minutes...A day? Read about what to expect on this site, be ready for it, know and celebrate each symptom, Nicotine will throw it all at you, but you are beating it or nic wouldn't be throwing craves, fogs, shakes, rage, _______ at you. You got it beat at this point. You used to reward yourself with a mouthful of Cancer Death, Take a break, you deserve it, have another shot of Death. Now you can reward yourself with another day of Quit/Freedom/Life.

Post your word to KTC at the start, Day one. One Day At A Time. Give your Word, Be accountable to Brother and Sister Addicts, propping each other up against Nicotine, Standing tall together. Rant and Rave here. Learn. Read. Be QUIT"

You can read the whole thing here
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Re: Glad to be here
« Reply #361 on: March 22, 2020, 12:45:57 AM »
... So roughly 34K died from the flu  each year. Similar to the US. Currently they have 4,825 deaths. They still have a long way to meet the number and with the inability to “test” everyone unlike the flu, it’s hard to get the “real” numbers.......
That's true and a variable I hadn't considered. It is NOT known how many undetected cases there are as they may be very mild/moderate and medical attention therefore not sought out. Let's hope that's the case. The societal effects are starting to exceed that of the virus itself. Would hate to see the country descend into anarchy.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline chipper

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2020-01-27
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #360 on: March 21, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
I thought this corona virus was all hype at first. Given that the flu killed 35,000 Americans last year (and an equivalent number for motor vehicle accidents). That’s roughly 1 American per 1,000 or 0.1%.
Globally, the corona virus has a much higher rate; 40 people per 1,000 infected or 4%. Thus far, the transmission rate is showing to be twice that of the flu.
To put it in perspective, I don’t personally know anyone who’s died from the flu. Before this is over, I’m fairly certain that I will know someone who’s died from covid19.

Sources:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/18/21184992/coronavirus-covid-19-flu-comparison-chart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
@Athan I think that ratio is off though, because if you take Italy, they had 68,000 deaths from the flu over a 2 year season. So roughly 34K died from the flu  each year. Similar to the US. Currently they have 4,825 deaths. They still have a long way to meet the number and with the inability to “test” everyone unlike the flu, it’s hard to get the “real” numbers. Currently,and let’s take last year, everyone and anyone that didn’t feel “well” during the flu season and saw a practitioner, got a flu swap. Since we don’t have the ability to do that with corona, only the very sick that meet the criteria to be tested, receive the test, which then bumps up that ration to the 4% that was published. Just my 2 cents, what do you think? Also it’s not “more contagious” then the flu, like the Vox article stated, it’s just that no one has antibodies for this corona strain so Everyone essentially gets it... then next year we will get our flu shot and corona shot and you will either get antibodies  from the shot or from getting sick... very similar to when the H1N1 hit us hard...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:12:23 PM by chipper »

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2020, 08:42:33 AM »
I thought this corona virus was all hype at first. Given that the flu killed 35,000 Americans last year (and an equivalent number for motor vehicle accidents). That’s roughly 1 American per 1,000 or 0.1%.
Globally, the corona virus has a much higher rate; 40 people per 1,000 infected or 4%. Thus far, the transmission rate is showing to be twice that of the flu.
To put it in perspective, I don’t personally know anyone who’s died from the flu. Before this is over, I’m fairly certain that I will know someone who’s died from covid19.

Sources:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/18/21184992/coronavirus-covid-19-flu-comparison-chart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Planes, trains, and automobiles
« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2020, 06:28:00 AM »
Planes, trains, and automobiles - Just ended a trip to DC with my daughter. The city is a must see, a bucket list item if you get the chance. The changing of the guard at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is a moving experience if there ever was one, as is the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial . Made it to the National Archive and saw the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights (paid special attention to the Second Amendment). I must admit though, the highlight of the trip was breaking bread with none other than June '18's Kodiakdeath & August '18's Arrakisdq. I'd post a photo if it were possible. Amazing to roll, call, text, write to folks for two years and never see them and then out of the blue they emerge in 3-D and you see the smile of recognition from someone you've known but never seen before. It was cool beyond words.
I did see my old nemesis while there. Some inconsiderate prick dropped his wad right smack in the sidewalk at Vernon Square. Couldn't even make it 4' to the bushes on the side. Addiction is such a self centered narcissistic thing. So very pleased to be free and I think of it EVERY time I fly.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2035
« Reply #357 on: March 11, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
Congrats on 800 and thanks for being you! 

I could go on and on about the inspiration and the humor, etc, etc, etc that you have provided over the last 800 days.  Or, I could just say, "thanks for always being Athan!"  Whether you realize it, or not.  You ARE the capstone in the archway of quit for a whole lot of people.

Job well done, my friend.  Thank you.   

Congrats to you on the big 8 Athan. proud to quit with you!
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
  • Quit Date: 1/7/2018
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2020, 12:34:44 PM »
Congrats on 800 and thanks for being you! 

I could go on and on about the inspiration and the humor, etc, etc, etc that you have provided over the last 800 days.  Or, I could just say, "thanks for always being Athan!"  Whether you realize it, or not.  You ARE the capstone in the archway of quit for a whole lot of people.

Job well done, my friend.  Thank you.   

"No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
"That's what's great about the outdoors, you know. It's one giant toilet."
"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2020, 09:51:07 PM »
Anyone seen Hundy?  I heard Athan ate him.  That's right, Athan ate hundy!
Ahhhhhhaaa!! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao Loving you Skol! You beat me to it
xoxoxo
I love you
bye

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
  • Quit Date: 01/02/2018
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
  • Likes Given: 975
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
Anyone seen Hundy?  I heard Athan ate him.  That's right, Athan ate hundy!
Be humble... grow everyday.

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Broccoli-saurus on accountability...
« Reply #353 on: February 11, 2020, 04:34:23 PM »
Broccoli-saurus on accountability (2-11-20 from May '20):
An accountability partner is able to perceive what you can't see when blind spots and weaknesses block your vision. Such a person serves a a tool in God's hand to promote spirtual growth, and he or she watches out for your best interest. Charles Stanley

Blaming, whining, deflecting accountability, risk aversion, and resistance to change are but a handful of symptoms of the adversity-beaten individual and organization. Paul G. Stoltz PhD,

Neither age nor experience matters when it comes to being personally accountable for any and all outcomes- no excuses whatsoever- be they positive or negative, nor shifting blame to other people or to external factors. Kory Livingstone

Creating a culture of integrity and accountability not only improves effectiveness, it also generates a respectful, enjoyable and life-giving setting in which to work. Tom Hanson, Ph.D.; Birgit Zacher Hanson, M.S.

The benefits and possibilities that are created created by being personally accountable are countless. Jay Fiset

Accountability, is the state or condition of being accountable or responsible. That is right. We are responsible for what goes on in our heads. John Vaulkner

Jesus understood the value of relationships, teamwork, and accountability. Effective ministry often erupts from small teams. Beth Beutler

Be accountable for doing the right things. This means ethical execution of the activities that will actually support the goals you have chosen for yourself. Sam Silverstein

People are more inclined to pass the buck than they are to take responsibility. The fact is, though, passing the buck doesn't build your character or give you the opportunity to learn from your mistakes. Marshall Goldsmith

Accountability is - first and foremost - about being reliable. To get a good picture of your personal accountability, you may want to periodically ask yourself, "Can people count on me to do what I say I'll do, as I said I would do it?" Henry J. Evans

Or if you want to get really real, this should be enough inspiration for you:
http://caringbridgeclassic.org/mn/tomkern/history.htm

Many thanks to Broc for sharing these. This comes up in every new month without fail. The new foggy quitter cannot understand the hard line (myself included) taken by the mods/admins/vets. In the final analyses, no one wants to hear that their baby is ugly but burying ones head in the sand doesn't open up any new vistas. Quite the contrary. The ability to extract from dialogue valuable feedback and apply it to ones own life is a game changer. There cannot be growth, personally, professionally, spiritually etc. without the ability for honest introspection. For addicts, the difference really is life or death. As human beings, you need only look around you to see people stuck in a rut their entire life, 'victims' of circumstances. The difference isn't a subtle nuance or small change; the realization that you really are in charge of your life and your responses to stimuli whatever they may be. The difference is that of a log floating aimlessly down a river and a cabin constructed of logs in a pristine spot of one's choosing that commands a view of the valley. Nicotine/substance abuse is but a symptom. Addiction is the behavior. Personal accountability is the cure.
I marvel that a concept so simple is so difficult to convey, so hard to be grasped and understood. Perhaps it must first be lived.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:38:53 PM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline olcpo

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Gravity Always Wins; 1 problem + nicotine=2 probs
  • Quit Date: November 26, 2019
  • Interests: March 2020; No Nicotine Today; One Day At A Time; By God's Grace, I Am Quit
  • Likes Given: 382
Re: Just one
« Reply #352 on: February 02, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »
Started back on shift for the first time in 5 years. The third night in with but 12 hours sleep since I started when I hit the wall. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd have succumbed to "just one" were it not for my brothers in quit. No question at all. It was on the table in front of me in six different locations in 5 different flavors, all there for the taking. It wasn't so much an urge to chew as it was to do something, anything, to chase the fog from lack of sleep from my mind. Never cured is right. ODAAT is right. Never Again For Any Reason. Skol, Gromo, Worktowin, S412 - indebted to you.

Way to Go, BROTHER!! Stare'em down, Laugh in their face, Then walk the Walk of the Quit, Head high, not looking back! PTQWYT
Micah 6:8
"Dying is easy, It's Living that's tough".
"Caving is easy, It's Quitting that is Tough"

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Just one
« Reply #351 on: February 02, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »
Started back on shift for the first time in 5 years. The third night in with but 12 hours sleep since I started when I hit the wall. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd have succumbed to "just one" were it not for my brothers in quit. No question at all. It was on the table in front of me in six different locations in 5 different flavors, all there for the taking. It wasn't so much an urge to chew as it was to do something, anything, to chase the fog from lack of sleep from my mind. Never cured is right. ODAAT is right. Never Again For Any Reason. Skol, Gromo, Worktowin, S412 - indebted to you.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Docpac's revelation
« Reply #350 on: January 13, 2020, 03:14:18 AM »
From @Docpac in April '20:

"If it does not serve you, it does not deserve to hold space in your life."

Love that one.  The slavery and servitude of addiction had that flipped 180 degrees.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
My favorite Burger
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2020, 03:00:24 PM »
From @BURGER78 HOF Speech:
You can throw your hands up
You can beat the clock
You can move a mountain
You can break rocks
You can be a master
Don't wait for luck
Dedicate yourself and you can find yourself
Standing in the hall of fame

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer