Author Topic: Glad to be here  (Read 97326 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
Quitness my old friend
« Reply #378 on: July 15, 2020, 07:11:41 AM »
From my quit brother @stillbrewing , as BluManChew likes to say, a textual chocolate:

"Hello quitness my old friend
I've come to quit today again
Because addiction softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was dipping
And the vision of quit that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of quitness"

Adapted from Simon & Quitfunkle
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Re: Glad to be here
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:16 AM »
Wife and girls gone for a whole week. This would have been balls out chew like there's no tomorrow time. Especially when the front yard developed a geyser. Powered through that with narry a crave although cognizant all the while that I was doing it without a lipper. Not now. Not today. Not for any reason.

Had the pleasure, nay honor and privilege of hosting a steak dinner for a young man joining the Marine Corps.  Every now and then you run into a young man who gives you hope for the future. I left him with these immutable truths: Jesus Christ is Lord, nicotine and alcohol are not your friend, that stripper doesn't love you, statistically three out of three people will die, contentment is the greatest wealth, and all real men wish they were United States Marines. Hooah.

I digress, the real reason I stopped by this morning is to capture this textual chocolate from BluManChew:
"Understanding the addiction and understanding that the reptilian desire and slobbering crave we have for nicotine is in direct conflict with what our higher sense of reason instructs us.  That's the mind fuckery."
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
« Reply #376 on: June 26, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »
Thanks boys. The sentiments are mutual I assure you. Crossed the nine hundy on the beach. Sure do appreciate all of the pickups. Even had a brother at his camp in Alaska pick me up from the beach in Florida. Woulda reached out all the way to India to QuitNWinay in Oct '18 if I'd had his number. Woulnd'tcha know it my brothers are all there packing lipper after lipper. I sat there as my younger brother packed a three finger wad in place, you know the one, stretches the lip out till it's smooth and shiny. There he was spitting in the sand at our feet. As disgusted as I was, way back in the recesses of my brain, way down in the hippopotamus, I felt an urge. I had a 'just one' moment. I imagined it there in my lip, all fat and juicy. I gave him a sideways glance and wondered if he knew what it's like to be free. I do. I ain't never going back there neither. A simple promise every day is such a small price to pay to keep slavery at bay.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #375 on: June 18, 2020, 10:12:24 PM »

We can move mountains if we put our minds to it.

Damn proud to be one step behind you for eternity.

Much love brother - NAFAR

Waiting for the day when the three of us are at the same table together.

Until then, Proud as hell to quit with you.
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
  • Quit Date: 01/02/2018
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
  • Likes Given: 975
Re: Goody's Victory
« Reply #374 on: June 18, 2020, 10:06:43 PM »
From Goody 5/20/18 on freedom:

We where booking in fisherman yesterday when I saw someone who has been fishing here for over 30 years. He had a mouth full of leaf in and saw I had a can of fake. He asked me if I quit and with shouldered back and head high I said your dam right I quit. He told me he could not quit the snuff but could quit the leaf when ever be wanted. I thought that used to be me. The words of an addict. He asked if it was hard to quit I said yes. But he new that. I told him of the KTC site. Didn't really want to hear it. I felt bad for him but God dam proud of myself. I will never be that person again. Just something interesting to pass on. It was nice to see the work was paying off in me brain to be around others chewing and it was OK. Now let's go fishing.

Dang I miss my friend Hank..... RIP Goody, I hope they are biting good on that glistening pond in the ultimate North.

Be humble... grow everyday.

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
Re: ODAAT
« Reply #373 on: June 18, 2020, 08:03:45 PM »
A month or so ago we had a nuclear bomb hit our family. Stole my breath, rocked me back on my heels, and ripped my heart out of my chest in one fell swoop. There are levels of anguish that cannot be explained. Things that cannot be undone. Life happened. I continued to get up every day and to breathe in and out. I pulled back like a turtle in a shell and focused only on our immediate household. I still posted in my home room every day but that was it. A thought hit me yesterday as I was working a pasture that a lipper would have been nice. Not a crave. Just a thought. It then occurred to me that had I used the trauma as an excuse to leave I would have popped 'just one' yesterday. Instead, I remained nicotine free another day. Life, good or bad, only happens one day at a time. Each day, good or bad, is a gift. We don't get to choose what befalls us; our choice is how to respond. Stay clean. Work the problem. Continue living. One Day At A Time.
for fathers of little girls
Preach it brother. Damn glad you're still here and still quit!

@Athan

You are a pillar here my friend.  Folks come to this site when they are at the lowest of lows...scared, vulnerable, fogged out, enraged, etc.  Most run into your posts without too much searching; a testament to your heroic involvement.  Speaking for myself, once I read one of your posts, I actively searched you out and read everything I could get my hands on.  You are a clear and concise writer and your posts are well thought out, often witty, and always on point with the best interest of the individual or group in mind.

Reading the post above put some things in perspective for me.  I've been fairly active on the site describing my struggles over the last 339 days...especially early on.  I could have written much more.  As recently as this morning, I awoke for work about an hour early, sweats and rapid heart rate.  Stressful tours = more craves and the unwavering thought in my brain that everything I do would be easier and more manageable with a wedge in my lip.  The depth of my dependance on nicotine continues to amaze me.

Yet I'm here at 339 days quit...a number I never came close to in the past.  Like you I believe that without this place and the connections I've made here, I would have caved by now in the same way you described above.  Posts like yours above "reset" me.  They ensure me that I am not alone...not unique.  They also prove that I've got a long road ahead...but so did you and you are still here and quit. 

I'm the father of a daughter also.  If you can make it through the last several weeks and remain unincarcerated, never mind free of nicotine, then I can make it another day.  Thank you for your involvement on this site and, on a personal level, thank you for sharing your story...I'm stronger in my quit than I was before reading it.  Hold the line my friend.

~HAG

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
« Reply #372 on: June 18, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »

We can move mountains if we put our minds to it.

Damn proud to be one step behind you for eternity.

Much love brother - NAFAR

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
Re: ODAAT
« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »
A month or so ago we had a nuclear bomb hit our family. Stole my breath, rocked me back on my heels, and ripped my heart out of my chest in one fell swoop. There are levels of anguish that cannot be explained. Things that cannot be undone. Life happened. I continued to get up every day and to breathe in and out. I pulled back like a turtle in a shell and focused only on our immediate household. I still posted in my home room every day but that was it. A thought hit me yesterday as I was working a pasture that a lipper would have been nice. Not a crave. Just a thought. It then occurred to me that had I used the trauma as an excuse to leave I would have popped 'just one' yesterday. Instead, I remained nicotine free another day. Life, good or bad, only happens one day at a time. Each day, good or bad, is a gift. We don't get to choose what befalls us; our choice is how to respond. Stay clean. Work the problem. Continue living. One Day At A Time.
Preach it brother. Damn glad you're still here and still quit!
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
ODAAT
« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2020, 07:14:07 AM »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: some folks...
« Reply #369 on: April 27, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
Every now and then I'll speak to a fellow quitter here and learn of a horrific story. When it happens I'm blown away by the unbelievable burden the man next to me is carrying. Someone's loved one is dying of cancer, another is burying a beloved pet, or going through a trough in a marriage, or any of a million horrific thing that enter our nightmares. The turmoil is going on all around us and yet, the quitter doggedly posts a simple promise every day. Today, I find tremendous comfort in that. I may be in a snowglobe, crushed and taking my breaths one at a time but this I got. I can chose to remain nicotine free today. I do have control over that.

...and today you are carrying that burden, yet you still came in here and posted your promise.  I am forever grateful to have you in my life.

Prayers to you my friend.
Exactly what this guy ^^^ said. Whatever you need brother
Love you brother.  We are all here to support you in this incredibly difficult time.  You aren't alone.

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #368 on: April 27, 2020, 02:35:44 PM »
Every now and then I'll speak to a fellow quitter here and learn of a horrific story. When it happens I'm blown away by the unbelievable burden the man next to me is carrying. Someone's loved one is dying of cancer, another is burying a beloved pet, or going through a trough in a marriage, or any of a million horrific thing that enter our nightmares. The turmoil is going on all around us and yet, the quitter doggedly posts a simple promise every day. Today, I find tremendous comfort in that. I may be in a snowglobe, crushed and taking my breaths one at a time but this I got. I can chose to remain nicotine free today. I do have control over that.

...and today you are carrying that burden, yet you still came in here and posted your promise.  I am forever grateful to have you in my life.

Exactly what this guy ^^^ said. Whatever you need brother
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #367 on: April 27, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »

If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
some folks...
« Reply #366 on: April 26, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2020, 12:02:29 AM »
Hey Athan, love you brother. Haven't gotten amd D pics for a while, so not sure what's up with that. I'll keep checking my PMs  ;)

Cuming in hot, just got the spring edition from GQ photo spread, the "face mask" one made me puke in my mouth a bit... check your Messages @Bug Guy  'puking'

I still don't know how to unsubscribe.

MY HOF SPEECH

Offline Bug Guy

• REMF
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Just a squirrel trying to get a nut
  • Quit Date: 1-4-19
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Hunting, Hiking, Hanging with the family
  • Likes Given: 2427
« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2020, 09:37:39 PM »
Hey Athan, love you brother. Haven't gotten any D pics for a while, so not sure what's up with that. I'll keep checking my PMs  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:11:12 AM by Bug Guy »

INTRO | HOF SPEECH | HOF WRITEUP
QUIT 1/4/19 HOF 4/13/19 2ND FLOOR 7/22/19 3RD FLOOR 10/30/19 4TH FLOOR 2/7/20 5TH FLOOR 5/17/20 6TH FLOOR 8/25/20 7TH FLOOR 12/3/20 8TH FLOOR 3/13/21 9TH FLOOR 6/21/21 DANGLE FLOOR 9/29/21 11TH FLOOR 1/7/22 12TH FLOOR 4/17/22