Author Topic: Proud to say I will be a quitter  (Read 17267 times)

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: Proud to say I will be a quitter
« Reply #593 on: November 10, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
Quote from: sh4string
Quote from: SirDerek
Wow, hard to believe that 5 years ago I was conducting the train for the Nov12 group with another brother from our month, and not realizing I was coming up on one of the biggest and hardest crashes I went through in my quit. It was post HOF, and post conducting month (along with the holiday season for Thanksgiving and Christmas), that my emotions went from being sky high elation, to being rock bottom and almost going back to the can. It was one brother, from here, that was watching my posts and had called me from out of the blue that brought me back to being on the path.

What brings me to post this I guess is just reading some of the new quitter groups: seeing the drama that is happening between them and the vets that go into and help out (continuously), seeing fantastic posts about personal triumphs that the newbies are making, and those posts that can rip the hearts out of people for loved ones/close friends and neighbors that are lost to this world. It all makes for a very self-reflective and grounding experience.

Just let all of this (my post and the rest), be a huge reminder that (1) Life is precious, so why do anything that would make it shorter... so use this to quit nicotine for good and make your life better and (2) You never have to be alone in anything in life whether it be quitting nicotine, alcohol, any tough times you may encounter... so while you are here, Be A Friend, Make A Friend... isn't life better when you can be in it with friends and family.
?? Great post Derek
X2 ????
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline Sh4string

• Quitter
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 10/21/2013
  • Interests: Family, Hunting, fishing, outdoors, triathlon
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #592 on: November 10, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Wow, hard to believe that 5 years ago I was conducting the train for the Nov12 group with another brother from our month, and not realizing I was coming up on one of the biggest and hardest crashes I went through in my quit. It was post HOF, and post conducting month (along with the holiday season for Thanksgiving and Christmas), that my emotions went from being sky high elation, to being rock bottom and almost going back to the can. It was one brother, from here, that was watching my posts and had called me from out of the blue that brought me back to being on the path.

What brings me to post this I guess is just reading some of the new quitter groups: seeing the drama that is happening between them and the vets that go into and help out (continuously), seeing fantastic posts about personal triumphs that the newbies are making, and those posts that can rip the hearts out of people for loved ones/close friends and neighbors that are lost to this world. It all makes for a very self-reflective and grounding experience.

Just let all of this (my post and the rest), be a huge reminder that (1) Life is precious, so why do anything that would make it shorter... so use this to quit nicotine for good and make your life better and (2) You never have to be alone in anything in life whether it be quitting nicotine, alcohol, any tough times you may encounter... so while you are here, Be A Friend, Make A Friend... isn't life better when you can be in it with friends and family.
?? Great post Derek
Quitting every damn day since October 21, 2013

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #591 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #590 on: September 02, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Day 1889 -

found a blog posting that I wanted to reference and save, not only for myself but think this can help a lot of other people, and not only with quitting but with different aspects of life.

By now the nicotine craving is really gone, a fleeting wipe just like waving a gnat away. but the other aspects of life got in the way where I was not dealing with them properly. The weight rose, the depression had sunk and the alcohol consumption went skyrocketing. Well my wife and her support jumped in on that last one and made me realize the path I was headed down was a dangerous one (just like it had been with the nicotine where I was escalating to the more than 1 can a day). So I did start to re-do things about it. I put the alcohol aside, I exercise daily now and track my food intake.

It is where that food intake tracking led me to that blog post. It was between weight loss coaches, colleagues, nutritionists, behavior consultants; where they put together a listing of habits that they used with their clients concerning weight loss. Once they had their list, they asked others (coaches) what one out of that list should be at the top. And that number one is:

FINDING PEOPLE TO SHARE YOUR JOURNEY - "Permanent lifestyle changes happen in relationships."

Well not only does this sound strikingly familiar (Brotherhood), but it hit home with me, as since I used it here for getting rid of nicotine, then why not apply the same to the other aspects of my life (I mean if we think about it, AA is the same basis too).

So for the past 2 months have been applying this principle to all aspects of life, as I continue to learn more and more about myself to make me a better person for me, an those around me.

So for all who read this, the magic that can happen here is whether or not you take what is trying to be taught and apply it across your life, to getting rid of nicotine and to better yourself is whatever other aspects you want as well.

Be good, be smart, and be together.

Offline D2maine

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: quit 2-19-2012!
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #589 on: July 05, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
Quote from: pab1964
Quote from: ChickDip
Quote from: FLLipOut
'party' Congratulations Derek!! 'party' Five years quit is an awesome achievement!
Congrats on 5 years quit SD!!
Congratulations sir! You my friend are a badass quitter!
5 ass kickin years - congrats

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #588 on: July 04, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
'party' Congratulations Derek!! 'party' Five years quit is an awesome achievement!
Congratulations sir! You my friend are a badass quitter!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2037
« Reply #587 on: July 04, 2017, 12:46:00 AM »
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2558
« Reply #586 on: July 03, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #585 on: July 03, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Ready
Wow, 5 years has been reached.

against the odds of the first 100 days as we all fight. against the never ending memories of what it used to be like, against the negativity and loss of the support of those who turned their back on me (for a reason that I see, but cannot fathom, and really no longer care about), I am here.

5 cycles around the sun, trying to live life to its fullest. still forcing myself to learn something new about myself each and every day, learning something to help myself with relationships and other aspects (alcohol and weight) all the time to move forward and make myself a better person.

I still look around to help others but heaven knows not as much as I had at one time. I also look to surround myself closely with those who will not stab me in the back. But in all I look to move ahead to make this world a better place without anyone having to lean on and be addicted to a chemical, that can kill a person.

to those who are new, it is tough and the time seems like it goes so slow, but keep with it. It is so worth being free of the poison, it is worth gaining back your word.

to those who have been around, keep seeing the big picture and the fight to what we all are against (nicotine), cause even at this point we still not alone in this continuing fight. (civility is what I have given and ask)

a journey of 5 years for me has been plentiful, but I still know it is only a start (used for 23 + years, so this is nothing in comparison).

be good, be strong, be clean.

Its great that you are quit.

And you say you are greatfull but you keep posting venom.

99% of the people that read your post will have no idea what you are talking about. But you didn't post quite a few of your comments for them did you.

Why are you still 'stick'

Let it go. Move on. Quit being a victim. You made choices. Live with them. Quit blaming everyone else.

I could be way off base, I was simply reading between the lines.
Hi -

had sent a PM, but for the others, there is no intended venom in any of that post.

I was hoping to show and give a big picture of the journey that is in process for when we quit and incorporate it into our daily lives. And that includes loss of family members, and other friends here at home who are no longer friends (and that was the hardest to take because our wives are still friends)..

So as said, no venom, no blame..... apologies if it came off that way.
I see back handed insults in your post.

Am I wrong?

If I'm correct, what are you trying to accomplish.

If I'm reading it wrong, I will leave it alone. Just tell me I'm wrong.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #584 on: July 03, 2017, 07:51:00 AM »

against the odds of the first 100 days as we all fight. against the never ending memories of what it used to be like, against the negativity and loss of the support of those who turned their back on me (for a reason that I see, but cannot fathom, and really no longer care about), I am here.

5 cycles around the sun, trying to live life to its fullest. still forcing myself to learn something new about myself each and every day, learning something to help myself with relationships and other aspects (alcohol and weight) all the time to move forward and make myself a better person.

I still look around to help others but heaven knows not as much as I had at one time. I also look to surround myself closely with those who will not stab me in the back. But in all I look to move ahead to make this world a better place without anyone having to lean on and be addicted to a chemical, that can kill a person.

to those who are new, it is tough and the time seems like it goes so slow, but keep with it. It is so worth being free of the poison, it is worth gaining back your word.

to those who have been around, keep seeing the big picture and the fight to what we all are against (nicotine), cause even at this point we still not alone in this continuing fight. (civility is what I have given and ask)

a journey of 5 years for me has been plentiful, but I still know it is only a start (used for 23 + years, so this is nothing in comparison).

99% of the people that read your post will have no idea what you are talking about. But you didn't post quite a few of your comments for them did you.

Let it go. Move on. Quit being a victim. You made choices. Live with them. Quit blaming everyone else.

Hi -

had sent a PM, but for the others, there is no intended venom in any of that post.

I was hoping to show and give a big picture of the journey that is in process for when we quit and incorporate it into our daily lives. And that includes loss of family members, and other friends here at home who are no longer friends (and that was the hardest to take because our wives are still friends)..

Gratz on 5 years, Sir!!!!

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #583 on: July 03, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »

Hi -

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #582 on: July 02, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #581 on: July 02, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #580 on: March 22, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
Quote from: JGlav
New quitters...... here is a bonus on why you should quit for yourself and no one else, as it so much comes along with it when you make the decision:

October 4th, 1998

I remember this day so vividly. A Sunday morning not forgotten. Was sleeping great and get stirred at about 5:30 in the morning by my wife. See she was pregnant with our first son, due in about a week. She says to be don't be in a panic by her water just broke and she had called her doctor. Well no better statement to beat the affects of coffee than that to wake one up. So that was the start of the day. She was told to take it easy unless contractions started, which they did not, and it might have been around 9 or 10 that we finally went to the hospital. 8+ hours later Alex arrived into our lives.

October 4th 2016

That little one whose foot was no longer than my fore finger, now stands 6'1" and turns 18 today. His boy scout eagle rank paperwork is on its way to the council office. He has turned into one hell of a young man who has experienced so much more than I ever did as a youth. He has been to Europe with the music department (Austria,..). He has worked at the summer camp for now 2 years and as attended a national Jamboree. His social life in school would have made me look like a wall flower (which I was). I know the fight now will be about a close by (5-6 hour) college, but will let that come. As for today we will celebrate (ok tonight as he is in his senior year classes now).

Not sure I have ever been more proud of him today. And I have to say, getting the CPAP and quitting nicotine are the only reasons I am here alive to feel that way, because without doing either one of those I would with high probability be dead today.
***Update

so much in so little of time.

Yes - that 'little kid' got his Boy Scout Eagle Rank

but on an almost even high note - he got accepted into his first choice college, Drew University, into the Honor's Program AND will be continuing his sporting ventures as well by joining the swim team there. Go Ranger Bears....

extremely proud papa

and able to be a part of watching him do this today clean of any nicotine, as that and with getting healthy in other parts of my life, I would most likely not be on this Earth today.
Now that's the stuff us pops dream of!
Thanks for sharing and you should be damn proud, you my friend obviously set a great example. Congratulations!
Congrats on the great news, Dad! You should be real proud!
Great news. Congrats all around
Heck ye, good stuff Derek!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline JGlav

• Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quit Date: 9/05/15
« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
New quitters...... here is a bonus on why you should quit for yourself and no one else, as it so much comes along with it when you make the decision:

October 4th, 1998

I remember this day so vividly. A Sunday morning not forgotten. Was sleeping great and get stirred at about 5:30 in the morning by my wife. See she was pregnant with our first son, due in about a week. She says to be don't be in a panic by her water just broke and she had called her doctor. Well no better statement to beat the affects of coffee than that to wake one up. So that was the start of the day. She was told to take it easy unless contractions started, which they did not, and it might have been around 9 or 10 that we finally went to the hospital. 8+ hours later Alex arrived into our lives.

October 4th 2016

That little one whose foot was no longer than my fore finger, now stands 6'1" and turns 18 today. His boy scout eagle rank paperwork is on its way to the council office. He has turned into one hell of a young man who has experienced so much more than I ever did as a youth. He has been to Europe with the music department (Austria,..). He has worked at the summer camp for now 2 years and as attended a national Jamboree. His social life in school would have made me look like a wall flower (which I was). I know the fight now will be about a close by (5-6 hour) college, but will let that come. As for today we will celebrate (ok tonight as he is in his senior year classes now).

Not sure I have ever been more proud of him today. And I have to say, getting the CPAP and quitting nicotine are the only reasons I am here alive to feel that way, because without doing either one of those I would with high probability be dead today.
***Update

so much in so little of time.

Yes - that 'little kid' got his Boy Scout Eagle Rank

but on an almost even high note - he got accepted into his first choice college, Drew University, into the Honor's Program AND will be continuing his sporting ventures as well by joining the swim team there. Go Ranger Bears....

extremely proud papa

and able to be a part of watching him do this today clean of any nicotine, as that and with getting healthy in other parts of my life, I would most likely not be on this Earth today.
Now that's the stuff us pops dream of!
Thanks for sharing and you should be damn proud, you my friend obviously set a great example. Congratulations!
Congrats on the great news, Dad! You should be real proud!
Great news. Congrats all around