Author Topic: life choice  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: life choice
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Quote from: razd611
Quote from: Smokeyg
Quote from: cdforecheck
during my lurking hiatus over the weekend i wrote this...maybe smokey is right i need to find my voice...my quit is solid right now and i am getting into the rhythm again...the hubbub of the HOF has faded and i now feel re-energized...enjoy

Dichotomy of the Quit

I hate quitting.  I hate that I have to constantly keep my guard up. I hate that friends offer me the one thing I cannot have.  I hate seeing new quitters come in here with the same arrogant and cocky ideas about much tougher they are than this addiction only to cave in a week.  I hate that so many people have to be here.  I hate that I ever put that crap in my mouth. I hate the fact that my own son wrote his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction 3 years ago and my youngest son is working on his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction.  I hate wanting. I hate craves. I hate being nearly 41 and throwing this kind of tantrum.

I love being quit. I love staring down threats to my quit. I love telling my friends, no thanks when they offer me a dip. I love seeing new quitters that have their shit together, ask for help, and have fun and realize that this is serious shit, a matter of life and death. I love that so many of us give freely of ourselves to work our quits and help others work their quits. I love that I donÂ’t need that crap in my mouth to feel normal. I love that my son is writing his D.A.R.E. essay on how proud he is that his dad quit. I love that only wanting is there, not the need. I love craves because they show that I am in recovery. I love being nearly 41 and not hiding these kinds of thoughts anymore.
:wub:
Damn CD you have been reading minds. 'worship'
That's fucking AWESOME !!!!

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
CD, that is some powerful stuff! My family is SOOOO proud of me for quitting and I get still get reminded about it almost daily over a year later!!! Stick around here for the long haul. You have SOOOOO much to offer new quitters!!!

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Smokeyg
during my lurking hiatus over the weekend i wrote this...maybe smokey is right i need to find my voice...my quit is solid right now and i am getting into the rhythm again...the hubbub of the HOF has faded and i now feel re-energized...enjoy

Dichotomy of the Quit

I hate quitting.  I hate that I have to constantly keep my guard up. I hate that friends offer me the one thing I cannot have.  I hate seeing new quitters come in here with the same arrogant and cocky ideas about much tougher they are than this addiction only to cave in a week.  I hate that so many people have to be here.  I hate that I ever put that crap in my mouth. I hate the fact that my own son wrote his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction 3 years ago and my youngest son is working on his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction.  I hate wanting. I hate craves. I hate being nearly 41 and throwing this kind of tantrum.

I love being quit. I love staring down threats to my quit. I love telling my friends, no thanks when they offer me a dip. I love seeing new quitters that have their shit together, ask for help, and have fun and realize that this is serious shit, a matter of life and death. I love that so many of us give freely of ourselves to work our quits and help others work their quits. I love that I donÂ’t need that crap in my mouth to feel normal. I love that my son is writing his D.A.R.E. essay on how proud he is that his dad quit. I love that only wanting is there, not the need. I love craves because they show that I am in recovery. I love being nearly 41 and not hiding these kinds of thoughts anymore.
Damn CD you have been reading minds. 'worship'
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »

Dichotomy of the Quit

I hate quitting. I hate that I have to constantly keep my guard up. I hate that friends offer me the one thing I cannot have. I hate seeing new quitters come in here with the same arrogant and cocky ideas about much tougher they are than this addiction only to cave in a week. I hate that so many people have to be here. I hate that I ever put that crap in my mouth. I hate the fact that my own son wrote his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction 3 years ago and my youngest son is working on his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction. I hate wanting. I hate craves. I hate being nearly 41 and throwing this kind of tantrum.

Offline russjns

• Quitter
    • www.thestayathomer.com
  • Interests: raising my two sons, acting, reading, movies, internet, hiking, playing guitar/piano, hanging with my brother....oh, and quitting, staying quit, never dipping again.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »

Dichotomy of the Quit

I hate quitting. I hate that I have to constantly keep my guard up. I hate that friends offer me the one thing I cannot have. I hate seeing new quitters come in here with the same arrogant and cocky ideas about much tougher they are than this addiction only to cave in a week. I hate that so many people have to be here. I hate that I ever put that crap in my mouth. I hate the fact that my own son wrote his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction 3 years ago and my youngest son is working on his D.A.R.E. essay about my addiction. I hate wanting. I hate craves. I hate being nearly 41 and throwing this kind of tantrum.

I love reading your thoughts, Curt....you are an ongoing inspiration to my quit! Glad as hell to be in October with you!
QD 7/22/09
I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self.
Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine.

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »

Dichotomy of the Quit

Curt, glad you are feeling better. You are a badass quitter, you get it, and you are an asset around here. I set a bad example for my children as well. But that is in the past now, never to be done again. Be proud, brother.

Good stuff.
Quit: Saturday, May 2, 2009
HOF: Monday, August 10, 2009

La's HOF Speech

"Post roll like 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus himself was telling you to do it" - Jaydisco

Offline Dr. Bruce Banner

• Quitter
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »

Dichotomy of the Quit

DUDE! I just told my 8 year old that if he ever saw me put another one of those fithly dips in my mouth. I 'd let him kick me in the balls. He has autisim...he looked at me and said" Yeah but you'll forget why I kicked you and be mad at me " I said "I know but you won't "

IT JUST DAWNED ON ME. I set the example for him and everyone I meet. Be proud of the example you're setting for your boys, Believe me, not many fathers get it this right all the time.........
HOF 2/2/2010
2nd 5/12/2010
3rd 8/20/2010
4th 11/29/2010

Within our capabilities, orginating in our attitudes and culminating in our actions

Offline cdforecheck

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Ice Hockey
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »

Dichotomy of the Quit

Go Bucks! Quit Date: 12-23-2011

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Quote from: kdip
Quote from: Skoal
Quote from: 11X4
IÂ’m just wondering, is their anyone else that has reached 100 days and had a serious case of just what in the hell do I do now?  IÂ’m not talking about craves or shit like that, just a letdown, a feeling like okay whatÂ’s next? I guess I should expect this, I mean they talked about this feeling after my open heart surgery  I do remember it. They told me that itÂ’s because you get so geared up mentally, it happens and that is that.  Guess this is kind of like that.  I mean I was so aggressive in my quit pushing and pushing, hit a hundred and not looking now at a shiny new benchmark moment for a while.

So I guess what I am thinking of doing is setting a personal next benchmark at 123 days…no reason just want to have something a little closer to aim for than finish today and post tomorrow and keep counting to the next KTC Milestone.  This way I keep a target in focus, maybe this will get my passion for my quit back.  If any of you have experienced this, please let me know how you handled it, what did you do to keep the focus on the quit and avoid complacency?
What you are going through is very common. I still get it after I've made it the next floor or beaten a trigger event.

You may want to check this out cd. index.php?showtopic=1770 In fact, why don't you try to add to it as you continue to celebrate successes.
some guys use milestones and it helps. Other guys just keep quitting one day at a time and that works. For me I try to remember that there is no ultimate number that is a magic destination. Im just quit, and everyday I'm just a lil more quit. 100 was big for me , and like you I had a bit of a let down. At 200 I understood that while being quit for 200 was a really cool accomplishment it was not a goal. My goal is to stay quit, no one day is more important than another. Milestones are just signposts that show how far you have come they will never tell you that you have arrived. Because were addicts we have to always keep traveling, but you will never not be an addict just because you hit some number.

Nice Job Cd, your a good quitter, keep it up

Skoal Monster
Curt, I hear you and can relate to where you are at now. I had all the build-up and excitement of reaching 100 and writing the speech and all that and then I had a big letdown. I guess you could say a bad case of the "I don't Give a Shits". Some of that for me was probably the realization that now I really have to stay quit and the novelty had worn off.

I have managed to reinvigorate my passion for quitting by staying involved and adopting several new quitters since my HOF. I also have made it a point to meet other quitters (12 so far) and will be meeting a new one over Thanksgiving break on the way to see my inlaws (which will probably be the highlight of my Thanksgiving this year). Hang in there bro!!! PM me if you need some additional encouragement.

Kdip
Find your voice.

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Quote from: Skoal
IÂ’m just wondering, is their anyone else that has reached 100 days and had a serious case of just what in the hell do I do now?  IÂ’m not talking about craves or shit like that, just a letdown, a feeling like okay whatÂ’s next? I guess I should expect this, I mean they talked about this feeling after my open heart surgery  I do remember it. They told me that itÂ’s because you get so geared up mentally, it happens and that is that.  Guess this is kind of like that.  I mean I was so aggressive in my quit pushing and pushing, hit a hundred and not looking now at a shiny new benchmark moment for a while.

So I guess what I am thinking of doing is setting a personal next benchmark at 123 days…no reason just want to have something a little closer to aim for than finish today and post tomorrow and keep counting to the next KTC Milestone.  This way I keep a target in focus, maybe this will get my passion for my quit back.  If any of you have experienced this, please let me know how you handled it, what did you do to keep the focus on the quit and avoid complacency?
What you are going through is very common. I still get it after I've made it the next floor or beaten a trigger event.

You may want to check this out cd. index.php?showtopic=1770 In fact, why don't you try to add to it as you continue to celebrate successes.
some guys use milestones and it helps. Other guys just keep quitting one day at a time and that works. For me I try to remember that there is no ultimate number that is a magic destination. Im just quit, and everyday I'm just a lil more quit. 100 was big for me , and like you I had a bit of a let down. At 200 I understood that while being quit for 200 was a really cool accomplishment it was not a goal. My goal is to stay quit, no one day is more important than another. Milestones are just signposts that show how far you have come they will never tell you that you have arrived. Because were addicts we have to always keep traveling, but you will never not be an addict just because you hit some number.

Skoal Monster
Curt, I hear you and can relate to where you are at now. I had all the build-up and excitement of reaching 100 and writing the speech and all that and then I had a big letdown. I guess you could say a bad case of the "I don't Give a Shits". Some of that for me was probably the realization that now I really have to stay quit and the novelty had worn off.

I have managed to reinvigorate my passion for quitting by staying involved and adopting several new quitters since my HOF. I also have made it a point to meet other quitters (12 so far) and will be meeting a new one over Thanksgiving break on the way to see my inlaws (which will probably be the highlight of my Thanksgiving this year). Hang in there bro!!! PM me if you need some additional encouragement.

Kdip

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »

Skoal Monster
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline 11X4

• Quit Pro
    • www.killthecan.org
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
IÂ’m just wondering, is their anyone else that has reached 100 days and had a serious case of just what in the hell do I do now? IÂ’m not talking about craves or shit like that, just a letdown, a feeling like okay whatÂ’s next? I guess I should expect this, I mean they talked about this feeling after my open heart surgery  I do remember it. They told me that itÂ’s because you get so geared up mentally, it happens and that is that. Guess this is kind of like that. I mean I was so aggressive in my quit pushing and pushing, hit a hundred and not looking now at a shiny new benchmark moment for a while.

So I guess what I am thinking of doing is setting a personal next benchmark at 123 daysÂ…no reason just want to have something a little closer to aim for than finish today and post tomorrow and keep counting to the next KTC Milestone. This way I keep a target in focus, maybe this will get my passion for my quit back. If any of you have experienced this, please let me know how you handled it, what did you do to keep the focus on the quit and avoid complacency?

I've always wanted to save a life, so I started with mine.

Quit Date: 4/22/2007~HOF: 7/30/2007~2nd Floor: 11/7/07~3rd Floor: 2/15/08~1 YEAR!: 4/22/2008~4th Floor: 5/25/2008~5th Floor: 9/2/2008~6th Floor: 12/11/2008~7th Floor: 3/21/2009~2 Years: 4/22/2009~ 8th Floor: 6/29/2009 ~ 9th Floor: 10/7/2009 ~ My Comma: 1/15/2010!

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing-the worst thing you can do is nothing. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline cdforecheck

• Quit Pro
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
IÂ’m just wondering, is their anyone else that has reached 100 days and had a serious case of just what in the hell do I do now? IÂ’m not talking about craves or shit like that, just a letdown, a feeling like okay whatÂ’s next? I guess I should expect this, I mean they talked about this feeling after my open heart surgery  I do remember it. They told me that itÂ’s because you get so geared up mentally, it happens and that is that. Guess this is kind of like that. I mean I was so aggressive in my quit pushing and pushing, hit a hundred and not looking now at a shiny new benchmark moment for a while.

So I guess what I am thinking of doing is setting a personal next benchmark at 123 daysÂ…no reason just want to have something a little closer to aim for than finish today and post tomorrow and keep counting to the next KTC Milestone. This way I keep a target in focus, maybe this will get my passion for my quit back. If any of you have experienced this, please let me know how you handled it, what did you do to keep the focus on the quit and avoid complacency?

Offline cdforecheck

• Quit Pro
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
funk the funk, just when you're feeling strong there it is sneaking around first whispering the bs of just one, then who'll care if you use, then go get a can you know how to keep it hidden and you'll do better....

all lies, nothing in my life will get better by using again, i would not just be hurting me, i am not an island and too many would be like you had three months WTF, and the only heavy trigger is that my wife is out of town which would have meant going nuts with griz three months ago...

yes nic i get it, you and i were great friends once and i just walked out on you with no warning; but you never gave me anything at all...i spent money that could have been better used for a host of things, i had to hide from my wife and lie to my kids, so i want you know we are done and it really is more annoying now when you come around calling, i have the team, support, and helpers to enforce the self placed restraining order on you, now run along you have no power here any longer

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Quote from: Gump
I was bored so I did a little tinkering and found some interesting stuff.

According to recent studies, nicotine users who have stopped ingesting nicotine have a success rate of 23% for one year of abstinence and 14% for two years; these are the numbers for those using a support system.  Alone, the success rate is dramatically lower, around 14% make it one year and 9% make it two years.  Both studies, one by the Tobacco Health Related Disease Institute and the other through NIH notice little change in success rate following two years and both studies included only smokers and both stated that smokeless tobacco appears more difficult to quit long term.  No other drug shows relapse rates this high, heroin comes the closest.

Who in the world would bet on any of us?  A less than 1 in 4 chance to make one year and less than 1 in 10 to make it two alone?

How many people visited here one day, signed up, and have never been heard from again? About 85%, by using the member list have posted 0 to less than 100 times, excluding those joining before 100 days have passed.

We are the 15%ers.  We will make it. A life without nicotine is possible, we found a support and hopefully we are using it.  We are the ones that made it past the 30 day mark when most relapses occur.  We have determined to change our lives. We are the ones not afraid to admit that we are weak and can’t do it alone.  We are stronger together because we understand how hard it is to fight this.  We know ways to distract ourselves and have the vehicle to do it here, from chat to wildcard to posting.  We are more powerful against nicotine than anyone of us ever were by ourselves.  We are committed to benefiting ourselves and our families and helping perfect strangers to do the same.  We hold ourselves accountable to multiple networks of support.  We make life changes to avoid the triggers.  We will do this, we will succeed, and our lives will be much better for it.  We are the 15%ers. We are FREE.
Thanks for the info CD, it's good to put some numbers to it. As a trained statistician, though, I'd really like to see the tests before I accepted the numbers as gospel. Which group would people like (for example) Volp fall into? Depending on the researcher's own prejudices, or the construction of the survey, he might be considered a quitter or not. And if they cave, then succeed for more than two years, are they counted twice, once as a quit and once as a cave? What if they cave 3 times, then succeed?

Such considerations can REALLY skew statistical surveys. Not to minimize your efforts here, which are outstanding. I'm just sayin'.

We're still quit, and that's that.
hell i'm no statistician not even close just looked to see what nic cessation is, methodology is the all important factor and can blow any study apart, just interesting that looking at the number of members that have joined this site and postings match the data i saw....like i said i was bored
It's been said before that the board's success numbers are pretty well aligned with the overall statistics. It's interesting to see that yet again.

But here's some numbers that I try to pay attention to: 100% of the people that really want to quit bad enough to stop making excuses and do whatever it takes no matter how "hard it is actually quit. 100% of the people that know using nicotine is bad for them but aren't really willing to do whatever it takes to quit eventually fail.
amen to that 44
I refuse to be a statistic anymore. Once I realized the only way to quit and stay quit is if I accecpt the responsibility of controlling my own actions. A little can no longer controls my actions, thoughts, emotions, MY DESTINY. I DO! There is no going back from here or I am that statistic I refuse to be.
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t