Author Topic: Day 5 of the umpteenth try  (Read 5107 times)

Offline stillbrewing

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/5/19
  • Likes Given: 1076
Re: Day 5 of the umpteenth try
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »
Well...here I am.  48 years old.  Born in the heart of Tobacco Country in the early 70s (Think Jesse Helms...),  smoking from 12-ish to 40 and dipping for the last 8 years or so because my wife wouldn't marry a smoker.

Last Friday, the realization that "tobacco sucks" finally hit me like a bag of rocks.  What the fuck am I doing?  I've failed at quitting numerous times and every failed attempt has caused me to use even more tobacco on the comeback, with quitting efforts further and further apart. 

For the first time, all at once I am angry, embarrassed,  depressed and scared.  What the f**k have I done? All of a sudden quitting is a "have to", not a "need to" or "should". Has the damage been done?

For the first time, I've asked someone for help (this is big). For the first time I'm doing it for me.  For the first time, I'm seeing the selfishness towards my wife and children who depend on me for so many different things. For the first time I'm realizing I'm almost 50 and this is where the consequences of living hard start to show up.

Since Friday, I've dipped one time, for a job interview on Monday,  and that was very calculated so I wouldn't freak-the-fuck-out. Since then, I have not dipped again and will not.  I've also slept/wrestled some 12 hour nights, missed 2 days of work, cried in my wife's lap for an hour when I told her what was going on and how big of an A-hole I've been.  And how I've fought these demons my entire life and how nobody really understands addiction except the addicted (and the medical professionals who can help). 

My withdrawals are demons screaming, howling, chasing, grabbing, pulling but I'm finally ready to fight.   I don't know why this time is different but I am able to elevate my conscious mind above my withdrawals.  Although they are painful, I own these demons.  They don't own me.  This was a big a-ha for me and luckily I realized and documented this thought on Friday afternoon before withdrawal symptoms started. 

I also wrote a one-clause contract with myself, including date and signature and posted on the wall in my office (for only me to see).  "I am not going to use Tobacco!"  I write and use contracts professionally and have never broken one and don't plan to break this one either.   

Physical symptoms are white spots on my uvula and a dry throat with hoarseness, all of which are signs of throat cancer in the early stages.  I've scheduled an appointment with an ENT next week.

I'm also looking for a therapist for hypnosis or another form of mental re-wiring therapy. 

I'm scared as shit but I own this, all of it.  And I'm taking control now. 

Thanks for hearing me. 

Best,
Greg

Impressive intro @Greg.  You did a better job describing how I felt when I started than I did at that time.  The guys that have responded speak the truth and WILL have your back throughout this process and beyond.  Their expectations may be harsh at times.  You may take offense to their tactics...their blunt delivery of a message we all need to hear.  Take it in stride.  KNOW that they/we are here for YOU.  If you follow their lead, you WILL be successful.  My history is very similar to yours.  I never thought I'd make it this far and here I am...458 days FREE!!!  It sucked and still F'ing blows at times but it gets more reasonable as you stack days.  You can push through this.  We got your back. Pls PM me if you would like my number.  Hold the line brother.

~HAG
@Greg
If you like contracts, print out The Contract To Give Up."
It's been posted above my desk at work for 317 days now.  Kinda 'slap you in face back to reality' when the addict mind starts creeping in.

"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes all worth living.  So, love the life you live, live the life you love." - Bob Marley

“La tristesse durera toujours." ~ Vincent van Gogh

"You can fuck off all the way to fuckoff mountain and jump off FUCKOFF point for all i care. Just post and stay quit." ~MikeW2018~

HOF-3/13/20; 2nd floor-6/21/20; 3rd floor-9/29/20; 1 year-12/3/20; 4th floor-1/7/21; 5th floor-4/17/21; 6th floor-7/26/21

HOF Speech Here

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
Well...here I am.  48 years old.  Born in the heart of Tobacco Country in the early 70s (Think Jesse Helms...),  smoking from 12-ish to 40 and dipping for the last 8 years or so because my wife wouldn't marry a smoker.

Last Friday, the realization that "tobacco sucks" finally hit me like a bag of rocks.  What the fuck am I doing?  I've failed at quitting numerous times and every failed attempt has caused me to use even more tobacco on the comeback, with quitting efforts further and further apart. 

For the first time, all at once I am angry, embarrassed,  depressed and scared.  What the f**k have I done? All of a sudden quitting is a "have to", not a "need to" or "should". Has the damage been done?

For the first time, I've asked someone for help (this is big). For the first time I'm doing it for me.  For the first time, I'm seeing the selfishness towards my wife and children who depend on me for so many different things. For the first time I'm realizing I'm almost 50 and this is where the consequences of living hard start to show up.

Since Friday, I've dipped one time, for a job interview on Monday,  and that was very calculated so I wouldn't freak-the-fuck-out. Since then, I have not dipped again and will not.  I've also slept/wrestled some 12 hour nights, missed 2 days of work, cried in my wife's lap for an hour when I told her what was going on and how big of an A-hole I've been.  And how I've fought these demons my entire life and how nobody really understands addiction except the addicted (and the medical professionals who can help). 

My withdrawals are demons screaming, howling, chasing, grabbing, pulling but I'm finally ready to fight.   I don't know why this time is different but I am able to elevate my conscious mind above my withdrawals.  Although they are painful, I own these demons.  They don't own me.  This was a big a-ha for me and luckily I realized and documented this thought on Friday afternoon before withdrawal symptoms started. 

I also wrote a one-clause contract with myself, including date and signature and posted on the wall in my office (for only me to see).  "I am not going to use Tobacco!"  I write and use contracts professionally and have never broken one and don't plan to break this one either.   

Physical symptoms are white spots on my uvula and a dry throat with hoarseness, all of which are signs of throat cancer in the early stages.  I've scheduled an appointment with an ENT next week.

I'm also looking for a therapist for hypnosis or another form of mental re-wiring therapy. 

I'm scared as shit but I own this, all of it.  And I'm taking control now. 

Thanks for hearing me. 

Best,
Greg

Impressive intro @Greg.  You did a better job describing how I felt when I started than I did at that time.  The guys that have responded speak the truth and WILL have your back throughout this process and beyond.  Their expectations may be harsh at times.  You may take offense to their tactics...their blunt delivery of a message we all need to hear.  Take it in stride.  KNOW that they/we are here for YOU.  If you follow their lead, you WILL be successful.  My history is very similar to yours.  I never thought I'd make it this far and here I am...458 days FREE!!!  It sucked and still F'ing blows at times but it gets more reasonable as you stack days.  You can push through this.  We got your back. Pls PM me if you would like my number.  Hold the line brother.

~HAG

Offline Zeus

• Quitman
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 03-08-2017
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
"I also wrote a one-clause contract with myself, including date and signature and posted on the wall in my office (for only me to see).  "I am not going to use Tobacco!"  I write and use contracts professionally and have never broken one and don't plan to break this one either. "

That's what daily roll call is: a contract... a contract to yourself, and us, that you will not use nicotine for 24 hours. Your word has to mean everything. Put everything into it.

"I... have never broken one and don't plan to break this one either."

Better is: I have never broken one and will not break this one either. Don't give yourself any room for failure. Failure is not an option when quit.

Welcome!
June 2017 Quit Mafia

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1654
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
Glad you're here Greg. Read up on the addiction - knowledge is power, ignorance is terribly expensive. You sound motivated and serious. The fact that you've exchanged digits with Warpig and have already made contact shows you to be on the right trajectory for success. Keep it up, be as relentless in your quit as you were in your addiction and you'll find success. One Day At A Time.
IQWYT
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline BluManChew

• Quit Pro
    • [b]The Omega Moment - 365 Days Later
  • Quit Date: October 8, 2017
  • Likes Given: 163
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »
That was an awesome intro @Greg !  You pretty much nailed what a lot of us felt when we finally had to grab ourselves by the balls and give up the tin.

You got this! 

BMC 1091 - Jan 18 Group

Offline MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4370
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »
Thanks guys. That makes sense.  I'll count from the 28th.  I wasn't going to wait for Monday to quit because I don't have a history of successfully hitting those planned dates....but knew I had to manage my demons for the interview.  Good news, is I've stayed off the nic since that. 

Wanting to send a shout our to @WarPig for talking me through a moment of anxiety and fog. A nice 20 minute text exchange was a great distraction.

Literally the thing i am most excellent at without trying.

distracting people!
This type of accountability and brotherhood early on is critical for lasting success. Kind of gives me some quit wood  :wood

Keep up the solid quit guys!!
Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |
29th FL: 04.02.24 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline Warpig

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: September 23, 2020, High Noon
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 02:03:35 PM »
Thanks guys. That makes sense.  I'll count from the 28th.  I wasn't going to wait for Monday to quit because I don't have a history of successfully hitting those planned dates....but knew I had to manage my demons for the interview.  Good news, is I've stayed off the nic since that. 

Wanting to send a shout our to @WarPig for talking me through a moment of anxiety and fog. A nice 20 minute text exchange was a great distraction.

Literally the thing i am most excellent at without trying.

distracting people!
Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game. I know, let's have a spelling contest!

Offline Greg

• Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

Offline canofbeans

• Quit Pro
  • (+1 Hidden)
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »
Welcome Greg you can do this.  One day at a time.

28 Sept was your last dip, correct?  If so then that is your day 1...it is the way we count it here...day 1 is the day you decided to quit and the last day you ingested nicotine in any form.  That would make today, 1 Oct, your day 4.  Keep it up!
Rebel Rouser (retired)

Offline Greg

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:04:16 PM »
Thanks Stranger999.  You're technically correct.  But since it was planned as part of my plan, I'll stick with my story.  :)

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 09:58:28 PM »
Greg, if you dipped on Monday then today would your day 2.  That said I'm glad you've found your way over here.   8)

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 07:04:22 PM »
Welcome Greg and like Warpig said this is your best decision. My best advice would be to start posting your promise in January with your name, days quit and a short promise like NNT. Here is the link to that page https://ktcforum.org/index.php?topic=16725.0 Just read the directions and do your best but don't worry if you screw up somebody will catch it and direct you to the proper spot. Definitely give yourself time to read as much as you can and check out the other months rolls to see how they do it. Your going to be in for a long ride but we are here for ya. We do what we call WUPP here, Wake Up, Post and Piss then this gets you into the normal routine of things. Post your promise everyday and reach out to others to help and for help. Share your digits but only thru pms and not anywhere else. I will tell you one thing is to EMBRACE THE SUCK and take it as a rite of passage to never want to do it again. Many more will be reaching out to you and except all advice. Need anything let me know and if you want to share digits send me a pm. Stay strong, stay quit and God bless you brother.

Offline Warpig

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »
@Greg  you got this, digits sent for text support.
Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game. I know, let's have a spelling contest!

Offline Greg

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 06:41:14 PM »
Thank you Warpig.  Taking advantage of getting my thoughts out on here instead of on my family.  I need to be strong through this.  As you know, you can get help, but you walk alone. :)

Offline Warpig

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:32:39 PM »
We are here for you greg, best decision you've ever made as well as the hardest