Author Topic: Penance  (Read 3032 times)

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
Re: Southern Saint. It will always be Day 1
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 08:55:35 AM »
Day 18

Why did I quit tobacco?
I woke up at 0400 this morning because for some unGodly reason the boat decided to go out on the water and do all kinds of noise.
As I sat there feeling cranky and growly, a thought came to my mind, “Why did o quit tobacco, more specifically dip?”
Because I couldn’t and can’t stand the looks of sadness and pity that would be on every loved one’s, friend’s, and co-worker’s face when they would look down on me in a hospital bed as I lay there weak from chemo with tubes coming out of my body. Or the daily looks of disgust I would get from missing a jaw or parts of my face. The self/hatred I would feel from seeing my own disfigured face in the mirror.
Think of the sadness that it would cause my wife, Katelyn, and my daughters, Hazel and Parker. Think of how that sadness would turn to fear at being left alone for the rest of their lives without their daddy and husband to protect them. Think of how that fear would turn to anger and maybe even hatred because I chose a dead plant in a can over them?
Think of your own self loathing you would feel because you decided to ruin your life over a stupid, useless habit.
I can see their beautiful faces marred by tears and looks of pity, and honestly, it’s enough to make me never, ever want to do it again.
My oldest daughter has an older girl who is her mentor. She was just given a death sentence from cancer that was not of her own choosing.
How stupid would it be to die from something you could have avoided 100%? There is only room there for “you poor, dumb bastard.”
I don’t want to be a poor dumb bastard.

Years ago, I chose Trapjaw from He-Man as my avatar as I had always responded that I wanted to be fitted with a steel jaw like him if somebody asked me if I was afraid to cancer.

I was scared of cancer and still am to an extent. 

But I will say the best thing about being quit isn't the freedom of fear.  It's the freedom period.  Often when we lose family and friends, it's easy to point at what did them in.  Hell, nobody knows which chew or cigarette of the thousands we did causes cancer.  It could be the first.  It could be the 10th.  It could have been the last one I ever had back in 2011.  We can't control whether we get sick from the shit.  All we can control is getting it out of systems and increasing our freedoms.

You're doing your family proud.  Stay quit today.  When tomorrow rolls around, do it again.

Enjoy your family without this weed.

wastepanel speaks the truth here.  There is no cure for our addiction and we won't know if we've beaten cancer until the day we die.  All we can do is live our lives nicotine free until the good Lord calls us to our Heavenly Home.

My advise is to live your life, live it like you know you are free!! Hug your wife and kids every chance you get and tell them how much you love them.  Make every moment count!!

Damn Saint.  That was powerful.  Keep blogging this shit out...you'd be surprised how many people can relate.

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 01:39:39 AM »
Day 18

Why did I quit tobacco?
I woke up at 0400 this morning because for some unGodly reason the boat decided to go out on the water and do all kinds of noise.
As I sat there feeling cranky and growly, a thought came to my mind, “Why did o quit tobacco, more specifically dip?”
Because I couldn’t and can’t stand the looks of sadness and pity that would be on every loved one’s, friend’s, and co-worker’s face when they would look down on me in a hospital bed as I lay there weak from chemo with tubes coming out of my body. Or the daily looks of disgust I would get from missing a jaw or parts of my face. The self/hatred I would feel from seeing my own disfigured face in the mirror.
Think of the sadness that it would cause my wife, Katelyn, and my daughters, Hazel and Parker. Think of how that sadness would turn to fear at being left alone for the rest of their lives without their daddy and husband to protect them. Think of how that fear would turn to anger and maybe even hatred because I chose a dead plant in a can over them?
Think of your own self loathing you would feel because you decided to ruin your life over a stupid, useless habit.
I can see their beautiful faces marred by tears and looks of pity, and honestly, it’s enough to make me never, ever want to do it again.
My oldest daughter has an older girl who is her mentor. She was just given a death sentence from cancer that was not of her own choosing.
How stupid would it be to die from something you could have avoided 100%? There is only room there for “you poor, dumb bastard.”

Years ago, I chose Trapjaw from He-Man as my avatar as I had always responded that I wanted to be fitted with a steel jaw like him if somebody asked me if I was afraid to cancer.

But I will say the best thing about being quit isn't the freedom of fear.  It's the freedom period.  Often when we lose family and friends, it's easy to point at what did them in.  Hell, nobody knows which chew or cigarette of the thousands we did causes cancer.  It could be the first.  It could be the 10th.  It could have been the last one I ever had back in 2011.  We can't control whether we get sick from the shit.  All we can control is getting it out of systems and increasing our freedoms.

You're doing your family proud.  Stay quit today.  When tomorrow rolls around, do it again.

wastepanel speaks the truth here.  There is no cure for our addiction and we won't know if we've beaten cancer until the day we die.  All we can do is live our lives nicotine free until the good Lord calls us to our Heavenly Home.

My advise is to live your life, live it like you know you are free!! Hug your wife and kids every chance you get and tell them how much you love them.  Make every moment count!!
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
Day 18

Why did I quit tobacco?

In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Online MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4333
Re: Penance
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 10:29:17 AM »
Each quitter gets only one Intro, @SouthernSaint

Please continue to use this one moving forward.
Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline SouthernSaint

• The Pilgrim
  • Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Poco a poco vamos a llegar
  • Quit Date: 04/13/2021
  • Interests: Outdoors, Christian history, reading and the arts, hunting, fishing, canning, whiskey
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 06:39:20 AM »
Day 18

Why did I quit tobacco?
“Pray and Work” -St. Benedict-
“I am the pickle.”
“This is the easiest hard thing I have ever done.” -Loot
“DO SOMETHING ELSE.”- DonkeyMN

“Hebrews 12:1
Let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us.

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN MEET MULE?

Offline SouthernSaint

• The Pilgrim
  • Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Interests: Outdoors, Christian history, reading and the arts, hunting, fishing, canning, whiskey
Southern Saint. It will always be Day 1
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 10:42:25 PM »

Day 17

The “Law of the Jungle”

Not ever day is gonna be a stellar break through day. You are not always going to have some bright new revelation of quit. Most days are going to be plain Jane. Most of the others are gong to be gritty as hell. The main thing is to remain determined and quit through each and every day.

“The Law of the Jungle”
The Law for the Wolves”
“The Jungle Book” by Rudyard Kipling

“NOW this is the law of the jungle,
As old and as true as the sky,
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper,
But the Wolf that shall break it must die.”

The “laws” of our quitter philosophy aren’t new. They have been around as one as junkies like us have been trying to get clean off whatever.
1) you will not use nicotine in any form ever again.
2) you all post roll each morning, first thing.
3) you will trade phone numbers and build up a contact list of fellow quitters and build up accountability.
4) you will reach out for help BEFORE you cave, or if you even think you are even CLOSE to having a cave.
5) if a quitter caved, he MUST own up to it PROMPTLY and SINCERELY and must TRUTHFULLY and HONESTLY answer the three questions.
6) You must do everything you can to make sure your brothers stay quit. If you do nothing to build them up, their failure may be on your hands, albeit unintentionally.

The quitter that keeps these rules is usually successful. There is always the chance a quitter may in weakness and stupidity decide to fail and cave, but there is no other alternative but failure or “death” for the quitter who refuses to obey these six rules.
“I am the pickle.”

Let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 08:05:42 AM »

I am a Christian, have been since my senior year of high school. We should not be bound by anything but Christ. This includes addiction to nicotine.
AMEN
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 07:44:14 PM »
I’m SouthernSaint. I have been hooked on tobacco for almost ten or so years now. I had a five year stoppage, but a change in work into an environment full of tobacco users eventually led me to cave. Actually, in some weird way, pride led to my downfall. I was actually prideful of how much I used to do the crap, and it made me look down on the guys who dip here because of how small they dip. Stupid reason to fall, but a damn sneaky one for the demon to use to slip me up.
Flash forward, I’ve been ninja dipping in some fashion for almost a year now. Brief stoppages when the guilt hit. Then a few days go by and I’m right back on the junk.
It is time to put this old ghost in the ground for good. I’m tired of lying to my wife and daughters, tired of seeing the disappointment in their faces and the pity and the forced understanding because their hero ended up being a weakling. Most of all though, I am tired of looking at myself in the mirror and not recognizing the man staring back at me. I don’t like him, or who he has become. I don’t feel like myself. I had done something that first stoppage, something awesome, something noble, and I gave that up.
I am ready. Ready to quit again for good. It will be tougher this time. I am ready for the penance, and the freedom it will bring.
I work offshore on a frac boat, so at times cell service will be slow. I am a bit worried about making my roll post everyday. I am open and welcome for support of my fellow brothers and sisters.
I am a Christian, have been since my senior year of high school. We should not be bound by anything but Christ. This includes addiction to nicotine. God bless. I am looking forward to posting my Day 1 on the roll bright and early.

Please message with help about the offshore and service issue.

If you are not able to get online to post while on the boat, text one of your quit brothers your promise for the day and ask for a pickup.  Whomever you text will then post for you for that day.

My digits are in your inbox.
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline AwakenedOne

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Proud Member of the April 2020 Cobra Kai Quit Dojo
  • Quit Date: 01/10/2020
  • Interests: Fearing God, Following Jesus, The Bible, my wife and kids, helping others, Texas A&M Aggies football, playing guitar, golf, guns, playing pick-up basketball, camping, fishing, quitting both nicotine and recreational cannabis
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:04:29 PM »
Welcome! @SouthernSaint Glad to add a brother in Christ to the site. Proud to be quit with you. Awesome decision to reclaim your life and freedom back. I can tell you my walk with God improved significantly since quitting. I am able to focus on Him more rather than focusing on my next fix. "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12
 INTRODUCTION | H.O.F SPEECH | H.O.F WRITE-UP
Q u i t : 1 / 1 0 / 2 0 | H O F : 4 / 1 8 / 2 0 | F 2 : 7 / 2 7 / 2 0 | F 3 : 1 1 / 4 / 2 0 | Y 1 : 0 1 / 1 0 / 2 1 | F 4 : 0 2 / 1 2 / 2 1 | F 5 : 0 5 / 2 3 / 2 1 | F 6 :  8 / 31 / 2 1 | F 7 : 1 2 / 9 / 2 1 | Y 2 : 0 1 / 1 0 / 2 2 | F 8: 0 3 / 1 9 / 2 2  | F 9: 6 / 2 7 / 2 2 | 1 K 1 0 / 0 5 / 2 2 | Y 3 : 0 1 / 1 0 / 2 3 | F 1 1 :  0 1 / 1 3 / 2 3 | F 1 2 :  0 4 / 2 3 / 2 3 | F 1 3 :  0 8 / 0 1 / 2 3 | F 1 4 :  1 1 / 0 9 / 2 3 Y 4 : 0 1 / 1 0 / 2 4 | F 1 5 :  ( i n  p r o g r e s s )
P R O V E R B S  3 : 5 - 6 | R O M A N S  1 2 : 1 - 2 | 1  C O R I N T H I A N S 1 3 : 1 - 1 3 | C O L O S S I A N S  3 : 1 2 - 1 4

A      W      A      K      E      N       E      D
T  O    T  H  E    E  V  I  L  S    O  F    N  I  C  O  T  I  N  E    &    A  D  D  I  C  T  I  O  N
M  A  D  E    P  O  W  E  R  F  U  L    B  Y  J E S U S
T  H  E    H  O  L  Y
O    N    E

Offline JeffH4257

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 11-15-2020
  • Likes Given: 1031
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:26:55 AM »
Welcome brother!

Proud to be quit with you today!

We take it one day at a time around here.

-Jeff

Offline FullCurl

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:13:53 PM »
Welcome, lean on the brothers here. Proud to be here with you.

God bless and stay strong

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 10:59:13 PM »
I’m SouthernSaint. I have been hooked on tobacco for almost ten or so years now. I had a five year stoppage, but a change in work into an environment full of tobacco users eventually led me to cave. Actually, in some weird way, pride led to my downfall. I was actually prideful of how much I used to do the crap, and it made me look down on the guys who dip here because of how small they dip. Stupid reason to fall, but a damn sneaky one for the demon to use to slip me up.
Flash forward, I’ve been ninja dipping in some fashion for almost a year now. Brief stoppages when the guilt hit. Then a few days go by and I’m right back on the junk.
It is time to put this old ghost in the ground for good. I’m tired of lying to my wife and daughters, tired of seeing the disappointment in their faces and the pity and the forced understanding because their hero ended up being a weakling. Most of all though, I am tired of looking at myself in the mirror and not recognizing the man staring back at me. I don’t like him, or who he has become. I don’t feel like myself. I had done something that first stoppage, something awesome, something noble, and I gave that up.
I am ready. Ready to quit again for good. It will be tougher this time. I am ready for the penance, and the freedom it will bring.
I work offshore on a frac boat, so at times cell service will be slow. I am a bit worried about making my roll post everyday. I am open and welcome for support of my fellow brothers and sisters.
I am a Christian, have been since my senior year of high school. We should not be bound by anything but Christ. This includes addiction to nicotine. God bless. I am looking forward to posting my Day 1 on the roll bright and early.

Hey @SouthernSaint .  You're in the right place sir.  Your story is my story...and the story of most here.  The key to to this place is to take things slow, quit one day at a time, post roll early every day, make connections with other quitters and hold each other accountable.  You'll be posting roll in the April '21 group found here: https://ktcforum.org/index.php?topic=16868.0 .  It's a strong group off to a great start. 

As far as posting roll while off shore, you can only control what you can control.  Do your best to post early every day.  If you think you may have trouble posting, let your group know so we won't be looking for you.  If all else fails, and you can't sign on, write a note with your promise on a paper and take a picture of it.  It's binding.  When you come back into service send the pics forward to your group.  The idea is to get in the habit of promising not to use and then holding up your end of the bargain...with the help of everyone here... and demanding the same from everyone else. 

As you know, this will be a struggle.  You probably associate dip with most of what you do in life.  Some things will be hard to move on from.  Keep your head down and push through.  Honor your word to your brothers and sisters.  Things get better the more time and distance you put between you and the bitch.  It takes time but is worth it.  What option do you really have?

Proud to quit with you sir.  Please reach out with any q's or c's.  You can do this.

~HAG

Offline SouthernSaint

• The Pilgrim
  • Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
Penance
« on: January 13, 2021, 10:29:04 PM »

“I am the pickle.”